Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Jan 6, 2011, Best of New Orleans story titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#79816 Mar 9, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
So, Free Servant, what about all the species we know weren't created 'in the beginning?'
have there been multiple creation events? Again, it would seem your god ALMOST got it right when describing his own creation event...
There was one beginning of life according to my understanding and those living things before all others were killed in the great flood. Noah replenished the earth with chosen species and the birds were used to reseed the earth. With God all things can be done and he arranged this and new life came to be.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#79817 Mar 9, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
thought so...lol...always a claim of evidence, but no evidence presented.
Bull. You might disagree with the interpretation of the evidence but to say there is none and it's never been presented is a flat out lie. Why do you folks have to lie so much? Just for consistency?

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#79818 Mar 9, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>There was one beginning of life according to my understanding and those living things before all others were killed in the great flood. Noah replenished the earth with chosen species and the birds were used to reseed the earth. With God all things can be done and he arranged this and new life came to be.
Perfect! Speaking of evidence that has never been presented. Now how about your side produce the evidence of this.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#79819 Mar 9, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Creation is a on going process. Or haven't you notice? God is continually creating and expanding the diversity of life...God abhors vacuum.
And, evidently, he abhors the vast majority of his creations since he keeps killing them off. But then, he's noted for such behavior.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#79820 Mar 9, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull. You might disagree with the interpretation of the evidence but to say there is none and it's never been presented is a flat out lie. Why do you folks have to lie so much? Just for consistency?
Without lies they have nothing.

I have yet to meet an honest informed creationist. Honest creationists will quickly become informed creationists and then no longer be creationists. I think part of the reason that they actively refuse to learn is that they can see the writing on the wall.

They do not want to be swallowed up by what they perceive to be an immoral philosophy. If lying and cheating will "save" them then that is what they think they have to do.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#79821 Mar 9, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
And, evidently, he abhors the vast majority of his creations since he keeps killing them off. But then, he's noted for such behavior.
If you have sense of spirituality you would understand why we die. Get a clue, or a soul.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#79822 Mar 9, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have sense of spirituality you would understand why we die. Get a clue, or a soul.
Speaking of clues, you have no idea what I was referring to, do you?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79823 Mar 9, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Which on the got two one in Star Trek IV
Can you name the episode where they got the other one?
The Enterprise Incident, where Kirk disguised himself as a Romulan when the ship was surrounded by three KR-class cruisers.

Then there was the phased cloaking device in TNG, where the Enterprise hid from a Romulan Warbird inside a small asteroid. Can't remember the name of that episode off the top of my head.

Then of course they were given one of their own by the Romulans for the Defiant on DS9.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79824 Mar 9, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Lmao!
Ya right that would be a first !!!!
"So Koder was correct."
LOL
Going by what was given in the linky, Koder *is* correct.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79825 Mar 9, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
so you actually have that much faith that you would believe that science could tell that there was 2% land mass on the earth 2.5 billion years ago?...without margin of error greater that 1%?
talked about brained washed...lol
I already pointed out that the link gave no scientific reference so I never actually made a commentary on how valid it was either way. I just pointed out how you were dishonestly cherry-picking what was convenient. THEN I pointed out that YOUR error margin was greater than SIX THOUSAND percent. So I worry very little about whatever ad-homs you throw my way, all things considered.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79826 Mar 9, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, yeah,yeah why don't you just provide a wiki link to the abiogenesis myth, click your heels three times , and repeat life created itself, life created itself, life......
No need. You've been debunked in that area hundreds of times already. Just like you ran away every time you were demonstrated incorrect re your baseless opinions on abiogenesis, you ran away here and changed the subject again. Ah well, at least you are safe in knowledgeability of how to have a good time at a creationist country music festival. In that case I would certainly defer to your expertise.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#79827 Mar 9, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>There was one beginning of life according to my understanding and those living things before all others were killed in the great flood. Noah replenished the earth with chosen species and the birds were used to reseed the earth. With God all things can be done and he arranged this and new life came to be.
You do know that we have/know the timeline of when various animals came and went in the history of earth?

You do know that this timeline doesn't quite match what you are saying about our history?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79828 Mar 9, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have sense of spirituality you would understand why we die.
Yup. The Second Law of Thermodynamics.
Cybele wrote:
Get a clue, or a soul.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79829 Mar 9, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
In the garden-story god is not all knowing and the jewish interprtation is about free-will. Free to accept religion.
or like moses would say: by seeing the grace of our ways others are free to accept.
Ideas of all-knowing/present/mighty etc. came with christianity.
But exactly those ideas can easily be disproved. Christine M going into history on this board with E=mc^2. And kittenkoder with evolution having no direction.
Ah, but (a) God would not be bound by Einstein's equations, as it would exist in some sort of multiverse (heaven perhaps?) while making our universe, and perhaps others. Scientists already suspect that if other universes exist they could have different laws of physics at play in each. And as for evolution having no direction, well that's not a problem either. God could either be guiding it in a manner we're unaware of, or it could simply be playing dice.

Of course the nature of (a) God is still nothing more than philosophical speculation and can't be considered scientific until the fundies manage to come up with a falsifiable concept.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79830 Mar 9, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you comparing,....what for it,.....ice? with the creation of life? Damn you puddle goo people will grasp at anything.
Not really. Both have been scientifically observed to rely on chemistry.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79831 Mar 9, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
well the obvious point was...if the steady state theory was the basis of your argument...it would simply nullify the idea of a the universe having a beginning...where as, the big bang theory is basically 'creation' without god.
Actually like all scientific concepts, the Big Bang makes no theological claims. Which is why many Christians have no problem with accepting the Big Bang, they just think that God was ultimately responsible for it.
xxxooxxx wrote:
To imply that the formation of, and the on going processes of the universe, has nothing to do with evolution is quite unrealistic.
Not really. We understand your point that one event leads to another (eventually that is). But the validity of scientific concepts is not troubled by separating them from other areas. For example, the theory of gravity works without referencing the origin of mass (the Big Bang). And the germ theory of disease works without having to reference the origin of germs (abiogenesis). So no, the theory of evolution does not have to explain the Big Bang either. Nor abiogenesis for that matter.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79832 Mar 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
We didn't evolve from apes.
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. Our common ancestor with the chimpanzee would be called an ape today and we also are still classified as apes.
So I suppose you could say we did not evolve "from" apes since we still are apes.
We evolved from other apes, and we are still a part of the Great Ape family. Therefore we have not yet evolved "out" of apes.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79833 Mar 9, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
whatever...if you tell me to think rationally and logically...and then tell me that the universe created itself virtually out of nothing...then your presenting a oxymoron.
Not really. Particle-anti particle pairs have been observed to spontaneously appear out of nothing. These are called quantum fluctuations. And they don't violate conservation of energy (which as you would understand it would violate laws of classical physics where something cannot come from nothing) because ultimately the net energy of the quantum fluctuation is still zero. Since these are observed some scientists have proposed a runaway quantum fluctuation being responsible for the universe. It is only one of a number of hypotheses though.

People who object to it do so because they don't understand that quantum physics is highly counter-intuitive due to it relying on a different set of assumptions than classical Newtonian "cause and effect" physics. That doesn't render it invalid though.
xxxooxxx wrote:
I find that it's more than likely, on a psychological level that scientists have developed a hypothesis that supports the only view in which they can exclude any type of intelligence behind the process of the creation of the universe.
and why do I think this?
Because the fundamentalist ego has trouble with differing opinions as they think their religion is all important. Therefore it "must" apply to everybody.

Of course the reality is that the scenario described above STILL does not necessarily rule out intelligent intervention. Plus also there are still other hypotheses which fit more in line with cause and effect. And they too don't necessarily rule out intelligent intervention either. In fact the ONLY problem with intelligent intervention is that it can't be scientifically modelled, hence without a model it cannot make scientific predictions.
xxxooxxx wrote:
...because scientists copy processes from the universe to advance their own knowledge, the same as if they had found an advanced alien space ship and incorporated into their own design....and then readily deny that any kind of intelligent exist behind these processes.So basically you have no problem acknowledging the space ship as an advanced concept...but at the same time you deny the obvious alien intelligence that is implied.
And your problem is here that (as usual) your argument for intelligence relies on a flawed analogy instead of direct evidence. An alien spacecraft is direct evidence of alien intelligence. You have no direct evidence of "obvious" intelligent "design" of the universe.

As noted by every single evasion whenever it is asked for.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79834 Mar 9, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
besides, I watched the videos on the subject before.
I'm not buying.
I know "political" science when I see it.
No you don't. That's why you buy IDC.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79835 Mar 9, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
like I said before... a true void would contain no laws of physics.
so your argument of physics, producing anything out of a true void is a contradiction.
If a "void" contains no laws of physics then there are no laws to prevent "something coming from nothing".

And your God STILL violates cause and effect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 min CJ Rocker 161,495
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 2 min MrsGladToBeMe 8,357
Summer 2015 3 min MrsGladToBeMe 5
Things that make life eaiser... 3 min Spirit67_ 132
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 5 min Alias -_- 28,876
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 6 min Papa Smurfaletto 9,754
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 9 min Papa Smurfaletto 1,572
motorcycle traveling stories 24 min Alias -_- 571
More from around the web