Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221214 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#79466 Mar 7, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes i knew.
Ah, no chip, since i'm not implying that the christian god bunch are more prone, but that religion with it's symbolism offers a lot more anchor points for psychosis to be built upon.
The construct can be very logic and rational to the person.
It always reminds me of Terry Pratchett characters, taking logic reasoning just a bit too far, but making perfect sense to them.
Was jesus schizophrenic? Asking Cybele again.;)
I don't know if Jesus was schizo. One thing I know...

Religion calls it sin. Science calls it mental disorder.

Again, it's a matter of preference for what type of cure you want for your disease.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#79467 Mar 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You got a chip on your shoulder. lol. It's really just a matter of preference.
I asked:
Are you now talking about dopamine or about psychotic god-episodes?

lol I'll take dopamine any day.
I do have a chip on my shoulder about the lousy translation of the hebrew bible though.
So i'm with Woodtick on the issue of considering such theologic constructs and interpretations cultic.
I kind of try not to be sucked in a discussion.

But there are some glaring points
The earth was not created...goddidnotsaythat...a ny grammar site.
The hebrew bible contains adjusted stories that do find their origin in the bronze-age.
Satan does not exist. Shaitaning as verb however does: libel or false testimony to throw doubt on the character of the person vilified.
The interpretation of the garden story is about having free will.
There is no innate good or bad, nor an absolute god.
God goes through the same events the tribe goes, which makes it rather unique and personal and indistingishable.
Everyday you can adjust your mark to good away from bad.
But none are born so, not even god. YHWH is just as fickle as any human which makes it a great story, full of multi-interpretable parables and struggle with what moral behaviour means under different circumstances.

Level 5

Location hidden

#79468 Mar 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if Jesus was schizo. One thing I know...
Religion calls it sin. Science calls it mental disorder.
Again, it's a matter of preference for what type of cure you want for your disease.
Sin is what turns one away from healing.
I rather think in these terms then in absolutes.
I was looking up Klinghoffer (r.h. chili peppers or the opera on the Achillo Mauro).
Where the terrorist talk about absolute good and high moral truth but state the absolute inhumane in rather choosing dead for all than peace.
The terrorist bible so to say, that is still the consequence of believing and stating absolutes.
I always wonder why people given the choice of thinking and learning differently go for such self-destructive ideas?
Is it so bad to take responsibility for making choices without ever being certain?

Level 5

Location hidden

#79469 Mar 7, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>That is the trouble, the confusion is what they want. Do not trust people who tell you the Bible is a myth, they are trying to brainwash people to control everyone and prevent free thought.
end quote

I'm not getting that. Why do you think the stories are written with the names having meaning and often being plays on words!
You are the one with the one-dimensional translation that hinders your free thoughts and brainwashed you into not being allowed to look for allsorts of different interpretations or to really see part of it as history and place it in it's proper context and time.

Fastforwarding it to the year 33 CE does not help.

And leave it there. 1.8 million pages of law text have been written since to keep up to date with changing times, but discussions and views are still as if the same laws apply or could even apply!

Level 5

above and beyond

#79470 Mar 7, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked:
Are you now talking about dopamine or about psychotic god-episodes?
lol I'll take dopamine any day.
I do have a chip on my shoulder about the lousy translation of the hebrew bible though.
So i'm with Woodtick on the issue of considering such theologic constructs and interpretations cultic.
I kind of try not to be sucked in a discussion.
But there are some glaring points
The earth was not created...goddidnotsaythat...a ny grammar site.
The hebrew bible contains adjusted stories that do find their origin in the bronze-age.
Satan does not exist. Shaitaning as verb however does: libel or false testimony to throw doubt on the character of the person vilified.
The interpretation of the garden story is about having free will.
There is no innate good or bad, nor an absolute god.
God goes through the same events the tribe goes, which makes it rather unique and personal and indistingishable.
Everyday you can adjust your mark to good away from bad.
But none are born so, not even god. YHWH is just as fickle as any human which makes it a great story, full of multi-interpretable parables and struggle with what moral behaviour means under different circumstances.
watch out. Dopamine is linked to addiction. lol

There's no such thing as good or bad anymore. Nowadays, we just assess hormone levels, genes, predispositions, personality type, mental health, tendencies, nature vs. nurture, lifestyle, education, intelligence, in other words, our very own DNA.

In the past, people didn't know about these factors play a role. But it's easy to just tell a child or someone what is simply good or bad isn't it? But the sad thing is even kids now pop a pill for ADD or ADHD or autism, etc. Will we ever find a cure for these things?

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#79471 Mar 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Science easily disproves the existence of the god described in the bible.
And yet Science can not answer the entire question facing humans and the universe.
Science does not have any evidence disproving the Creator( God).

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#79472 Mar 7, 2013
Man, the things theyre finding out about humans existence now with DNA science.going to change our whole outlook on religion.

"DNA evidence has revealed that the oldest known common male ancestor is 340,000 years old, more than twice as old as previous estimates.
New Scientist reports that the sample comes from a recently deceased man named Albert Perry. After the African-American South Carolina man died, one of his relatives submitted a sample of his DNA to a company called Family Tree DNA for analysis.
The findings were published in the The American Journal of Human Genetics and may require researchers to adjust the known timeline of humankinds evolution.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/father-h...

Level 5

Location hidden

#79473 Mar 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
watch out. Dopamine is linked to addiction. lol
There's no such thing as good or bad anymore. Nowadays, we just assess hormone levels, genes, predispositions, personality type, mental health, tendencies, nature vs. nurture, lifestyle, education, intelligence, in other words, our very own DNA.
In the past, people didn't know about these factors play a role. But it's easy to just tell a child or someone what is simply good or bad isn't it? But the sad thing is even kids now pop a pill for ADD or ADHD or autism, etc. Will we ever find a cure for these things?
Now at page 3740

God is dead. Nietzsche is dead. And I'm not feeling so good myself.Woody Allen

What's your beef with evolution? You do accept it in what you call 'real' science i.e. the medical profession, but i still haven't figured out what step you missed from the grandfather Darwinism upto genomism.

I sometimes think the first two are statistical mistakes.
Anonymous is developing into an annoying pest with his attempts to disproof evolution by the theory of enlightened anti-bondslavery via the fall and innate badness, but before that I shortly pointed out such methods where they only turf the kids allready having other medical conditions.
If you would look at the majority of the population such behaviour would maybe be normal. As in not stand out.
Autism is a bit different. I would have to read up though.

Evolution is quite handy for explaining such a condition and for figuring out if a cure is possible. Afterall you do not want to cure the symptom.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#79474 Mar 7, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And yet Science can not answer the entire question facing humans and the universe.
Charles, I think God is finally going to be disproven by circumstantial evidence.

See my post immediately below yours.

Level 5

Location hidden

#79475 Mar 7, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> And yet Science can not answer the entire question facing humans and the universe.
Sorry, can't help it...but you killed him. Afterall that is what the entire goodnews is about. Hurray we killed god, long live the new god.
If he did not die there would be no point to the story.
(Just like Baal coming back to life after -not entirely - three days and nights.)

So where does god create the universe, even in your translation?
A lot has allready been stated about evidence (elephant in my room. yes/no)but the point is that science is not in the business of doing that.
Maybe like me, you should just read back.
The entire thread started with asking a testable consistent theory of creation. Sofar zilch.
And one point (of many) would be delivering positive proof of gods instrumentality. Not magic or vague bible texts but hard evidence.
So the onus lies still with creationists.

Level 5

Location hidden

#79476 Mar 7, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
Man, the things theyre finding out about humans existence now with DNA science.going to change our whole outlook on religion.
"DNA evidence has revealed that the oldest known common male ancestor is 340,000 years old, more than twice as old as previous estimates.
New Scientist reports that the sample comes from a recently deceased man named Albert Perry. After the African-American South Carolina man died, one of his relatives submitted a sample of his DNA to a company called Family Tree DNA for analysis.
The findings were published in the The American Journal of Human Genetics and may require researchers to adjust the known timeline of humankinds evolution.
Oh good, i'll add it to the thread Human origin. Anything else i missed?
I allready wondered though since we found an ancient South- African metropolis dated about 240,000-160,000 y.a. occupation.
So it would need Homo-Sapiens allready quite developed or some theory on a different homonid. The first makes it easier allaround.

Level 5

above and beyond

#79477 Mar 7, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

The John Punch Line

Now its been confirmed that President Barack Obamas mother is related to the first US slave, John Punch. He was an indentured servant who became enslaved for life after he tried to escape and had children with a white woman who passed her freedom status to her children who then became successful land owners in Colonial Virginia. Obama is the 11th great grandson of John Punch according to Virginia records and DNA analysis. How good is our DNA technology that they have recovered Punchs DNA and traced his lineage! Did they find a tooth or fossil? Is this The Punch Line Hoax?

Level 5

Location hidden

#79478 Mar 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
What a mess you guys got yourself into!
is this the pit of hell people are talking about? One should not abuse language if one cannot read between the lines! One who lives by the sword, dies by the sword...lol
I had pits that people dig for other in mind.
He's simply in a fighting mood all the time, tiresome.
For him that is...the rest can simply ignore it.

Level 5

Location hidden

#79479 Mar 7, 2013
Kong posted this one days ago:
http://phys.org/news/2013-03-human-chromosome...
I can't access the yahoo one (have to still link on) but i wonder if they came to the conclusion that it was even older.

Level 2

Location hidden

#79480 Mar 7, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally agree
You are welcome.
It is only the ignorant that would disagree to that. Keep it up!
Your post are all informative and educative.

Level 2

Location hidden

#79481 Mar 7, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh hey Chuckles. You do realise that you're contradicting yourself even with this just one simple word, right?
No, of course you don't.
Likewise.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#79482 Mar 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing.
The John Punch Line
Now its been confirmed that President Barack Obamas mother is related to the first US slave, John Punch. He was an indentured servant who became enslaved for life after he tried to escape and had children with a white woman who passed her freedom status to her children who then became successful land owners in Colonial Virginia. Obama is the 11th great grandson of John Punch according to Virginia records and DNA analysis. How good is our DNA technology that they have recovered Punchs DNA and traced his lineage! Did they find a tooth or fossil? Is this The Punch Line Hoax?
Hi Cybele,

And your point is??

Level 5

Location hidden

#79483 Mar 7, 2013
I guess it would be about the clock?
Or doubts about how the DNA is matched?(They took the soil from his grave, let's go ghoulish.lol)
;]good question thus.
On the first:
http://www.google.nl/search...
various methods and discussions about accuracy.(SNP, SRTs etc.)

“The O.C.C”

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#79484 Mar 7, 2013

Level 5

above and beyond

#79485 Mar 7, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Cybele,
And your point is??
the name

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A to Z songs by title or group! 26 min T Bone 1,561
Word Association (Mar '10) 51 min SweLL GirL 22,092
Word Association (Jun '10) 52 min SweLL GirL 32,256
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 54 min SweLL GirL 7,552
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Sweet the Revenge 215,281
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 1 hr SweLL GirL 16,545
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 1 hr SweLL GirL 36,507
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr ROSE 74,276
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 7 hr Lifelover 3,735
What Is Your DREAM JOB? 7 hr Lifelover 34
More from around the web