Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222016 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#79454 Mar 7, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
i suggest you read Deuteronomy & Leviticus. Read it carefully.
Example:
Deuteronomy 21:10-14
King James Version (KJV)
10 When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the Lord thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive,
11 And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife;
12 Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house, and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails;
13 And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife.
14 And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her.
Enlighten me, where is the free will and free thought of the above mentioned woman?
wait a minute...I'll get back to ya:)

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#79455 Mar 7, 2013
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
What you can't read?
I read all the time....and I'm still looking for evidence....got any?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#79456 Mar 7, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now, isn't that quite ironic, since the scientific community has continually demanded scientific "proof" of the bible and god over and over on this thread..
Maybe you should enlighten your comrades,as to clear the confusion on the matter.lol
No, it hasn't. Show me a quote from the scientific community demanding such proof.

What science can do is to disprove things. We can disprove the existence of a worldwide flood anytime during humanities existence. We can disprove the concept of Adam and Eve. No one that I know of would properly ask for "proof" of god.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Location hidden

#79457 Mar 7, 2013
pg 3727
Good thing i'm reading up.
Welcome back Polymath.
(By the way intelligent dinosaurs. Do you have any good links relating brainsize to intelligence. I thought the number of windings counted and not size perse.)

I would have missed the soul of anyone named Lee.;)
All the lousy bible translations.
Some very interesting usefull science news.
Snowball earth (again).

Great going Kittenkoder. I like your as usual apt responses.
There is a lot more good than bad, in traits (include dopamine production) and otherwise.

Cybele wrote:
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>sounds like a natural product of a healthy mind. why would you think it has anything to do with any god?
Cybele: If you add God to the effects of dopamine you will be healthy. Did you know that alcohol withdrawal can cause schizophrenia symptoms to occur? If one experiences these chemical imbalance, it's best to be aware with God in mind or you will not understand negative effects in your brain.
end quote

Are you now talking about dopamine or about psychotic god-episodes?
Religion usually makes things worse. Too much symbology to latch onto.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#79458 Mar 7, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>That is the trouble, the confusion is what they want. Do not trust people who tell you the Bible is a myth, they are trying to brainwash people to control everyone and prevent free thought.
Did your Bible tell you that?

Level 5

Location hidden

#79459 Mar 7, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you fricking serious?
I read the bible it has nothing to do with free thought, it is poorly written nonsense.
Being I read the book here are my "free thoughts". The book was originally written to justify some bad things the Jewish had done. So they being good at marketing produced a god that justified their wrong doings while naming themselves the chosen people, and you bought it hook, line and sinker.
Overhere people are discussing an embellished and really bad translation of a tribal history and culture.
It's nothing to do with them, so the stupid continues.

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#79460 Mar 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Mythological stories are very poor sources of evidence.
Everybody knows that stories grow with the telling. There is even very strong evidence that that is the case for the Bible. For example the King James Version lists the height of Goliath as about 9'9" where several older sources list him as 6'9". A difference of 3 feet. Now the second height is much more reasonable. In those days a person who was almost 7 feet tall would still be considered a giant. Especially since your average Jew back then was probably 5' nothing. A person who was 9'9" tall would not be a fearsome warrior. At best he could barely get himself out of bed in the morning. The square cube law is a very serious law.
And another funny fact about 'tallness'--I hear the largest ancient grave body found in Israel is/was 6'6" another 'tall' tale from the Bible I guess..:-)

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#79461 Mar 7, 2013
MAAT wrote:
Cybele wrote:
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>sounds like a natural product of a healthy mind. why would you think it has anything to do with any god?
Cybele: If you add God to the effects of dopamine you will be healthy. Did you know that alcohol withdrawal can cause schizophrenia symptoms to occur? If one experiences these chemical imbalance, it's best to be aware with God in mind or you will not understand negative effects in your brain.
end quote
Religion usually makes things worse. Too much symbology to latch onto.
Did you know that Einstein's son was schizophrenic?

Mental illness can affect anyone, regardless of beliefs or non-belief. Logic and rational thinking can however help us understand symbolism and such, just like how we use idioms in the English language. You got a chip on your shoulder. lol. It's really just a matter of preference.

Level 5

Location hidden

#79462 Mar 7, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
See, now you're just wrapped up in your stereotypes, out to knock down tin soldiers on your own fantasy battlefield. You're just throwing monkey poop at your political enemies and I don't intend to correct your claims that I'm advocating pedophilia.
You LOST Big Kahuna! Now, you're trying to stage a cliquish shout-down. Congrats on showing what narcissistic prigs liberals usually are. If you can't read and keep my posts in context, don't bother being an advocate for Evolution. You're an embarrassment to real science.
Go cry somewhere else.
What stereotypes? The only ones would be your reactions and your own words and assertions are stereotypes.
What political enemies? See there we go again, you and stereotyping.
You and pedophilia are a match made in heaven, like god present everywhere you look!
...act like a perv or in your case write like a perv stereotyping all and you will be the one perceived as the perv.

The only context is your political pamphlet you keep posting.
The repeated tantrum and whine about all the liberals that are just not buying into our negativity. Yeah sure it must be a CONSPIRACY orchestrated by MAAT.
And now you reduced yourself to BE the issue of free will and innate bad.
It's rather boring reading since you do not research nor question, but act as if you invented it yesterday!

Congrats [...].That's rich from the guy that consideres two lines on the consistency of sperm an essay and that did not get one iota on the biological and medical importance of the presented evidence on energy regulation in the body.

Level 5

Location hidden

#79463 Mar 7, 2013
Correction: our negativity=your negativity.

Level 5

above and beyond

#79464 Mar 7, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
What stereotypes? The only ones would be your reactions and your own words and assertions are stereotypes.
What political enemies? See there we go again, you and stereotyping.
You and pedophilia are a match made in heaven, like god present everywhere you look!
...act like a perv or in your case write like a perv stereotyping all and you will be the one perceived as the perv.
The only context is your political pamphlet you keep posting.
The repeated tantrum and whine about all the liberals that are just not buying into our negativity. Yeah sure it must be a CONSPIRACY orchestrated by MAAT.
And now you reduced yourself to BE the issue of free will and innate bad.
It's rather boring reading since you do not research nor question, but act as if you invented it yesterday!
Congrats [...].That's rich from the guy that consideres two lines on the consistency of sperm an essay and that did not get one iota on the biological and medical importance of the presented evidence on energy regulation in the body.
What a mess you guys got yourself into!

is this the pit of hell people are talking about? One should not abuse language if one cannot read between the lines! One who lives by the sword, dies by the sword...lol

Level 5

Location hidden

#79465 Mar 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know that Einstein's son was schizophrenic?
Mental illness can affect anyone, regardless of beliefs or non-belief. Logic and rational thinking can however help us understand symbolism and such, just like how we use idioms in the English language. You got a chip on your shoulder. lol. It's really just a matter of preference.
Yes i knew.
Ah, no chip, since i'm not implying that the christian god bunch are more prone, but that religion with it's symbolism offers a lot more anchor points for psychosis to be built upon.
The construct can be very logic and rational to the person.
It always reminds me of Terry Pratchett characters, taking logic reasoning just a bit too far, but making perfect sense to them.

Was jesus schizophrenic? Asking Cybele again.;)

Level 5

above and beyond

#79466 Mar 7, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes i knew.
Ah, no chip, since i'm not implying that the christian god bunch are more prone, but that religion with it's symbolism offers a lot more anchor points for psychosis to be built upon.
The construct can be very logic and rational to the person.
It always reminds me of Terry Pratchett characters, taking logic reasoning just a bit too far, but making perfect sense to them.
Was jesus schizophrenic? Asking Cybele again.;)
I don't know if Jesus was schizo. One thing I know...

Religion calls it sin. Science calls it mental disorder.

Again, it's a matter of preference for what type of cure you want for your disease.

Level 5

Location hidden

#79467 Mar 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You got a chip on your shoulder. lol. It's really just a matter of preference.
I asked:

lol I'll take dopamine any day.
I do have a chip on my shoulder about the lousy translation of the hebrew bible though.
So i'm with Woodtick on the issue of considering such theologic constructs and interpretations cultic.
I kind of try not to be sucked in a discussion.

But there are some glaring points
The earth was not created...goddidnotsaythat...a ny grammar site.
The hebrew bible contains adjusted stories that do find their origin in the bronze-age.
Satan does not exist. Shaitaning as verb however does: libel or false testimony to throw doubt on the character of the person vilified.
The interpretation of the garden story is about having free will.
There is no innate good or bad, nor an absolute god.
God goes through the same events the tribe goes, which makes it rather unique and personal and indistingishable.
Everyday you can adjust your mark to good away from bad.
But none are born so, not even god. YHWH is just as fickle as any human which makes it a great story, full of multi-interpretable parables and struggle with what moral behaviour means under different circumstances.

Level 5

Location hidden

#79468 Mar 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if Jesus was schizo. One thing I know...
Religion calls it sin. Science calls it mental disorder.
Again, it's a matter of preference for what type of cure you want for your disease.
Sin is what turns one away from healing.
I rather think in these terms then in absolutes.
I was looking up Klinghoffer (r.h. chili peppers or the opera on the Achillo Mauro).
Where the terrorist talk about absolute good and high moral truth but state the absolute inhumane in rather choosing dead for all than peace.
The terrorist bible so to say, that is still the consequence of believing and stating absolutes.
I always wonder why people given the choice of thinking and learning differently go for such self-destructive ideas?
Is it so bad to take responsibility for making choices without ever being certain?

Level 5

Location hidden

#79469 Mar 7, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>That is the trouble, the confusion is what they want. Do not trust people who tell you the Bible is a myth, they are trying to brainwash people to control everyone and prevent free thought.
end quote

I'm not getting that. Why do you think the stories are written with the names having meaning and often being plays on words!
You are the one with the one-dimensional translation that hinders your free thoughts and brainwashed you into not being allowed to look for allsorts of different interpretations or to really see part of it as history and place it in it's proper context and time.

Fastforwarding it to the year 33 CE does not help.

And leave it there. 1.8 million pages of law text have been written since to keep up to date with changing times, but discussions and views are still as if the same laws apply or could even apply!

Level 5

above and beyond

#79470 Mar 7, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked:
lol I'll take dopamine any day.
I do have a chip on my shoulder about the lousy translation of the hebrew bible though.
So i'm with Woodtick on the issue of considering such theologic constructs and interpretations cultic.
I kind of try not to be sucked in a discussion.
But there are some glaring points
The earth was not created...goddidnotsaythat...a ny grammar site.
The hebrew bible contains adjusted stories that do find their origin in the bronze-age.
Satan does not exist. Shaitaning as verb however does: libel or false testimony to throw doubt on the character of the person vilified.
The interpretation of the garden story is about having free will.
There is no innate good or bad, nor an absolute god.
God goes through the same events the tribe goes, which makes it rather unique and personal and indistingishable.
Everyday you can adjust your mark to good away from bad.
But none are born so, not even god. YHWH is just as fickle as any human which makes it a great story, full of multi-interpretable parables and struggle with what moral behaviour means under different circumstances.
watch out. Dopamine is linked to addiction. lol

There's no such thing as good or bad anymore. Nowadays, we just assess hormone levels, genes, predispositions, personality type, mental health, tendencies, nature vs. nurture, lifestyle, education, intelligence, in other words, our very own DNA.

In the past, people didn't know about these factors play a role. But it's easy to just tell a child or someone what is simply good or bad isn't it? But the sad thing is even kids now pop a pill for ADD or ADHD or autism, etc. Will we ever find a cure for these things?

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#79471 Mar 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Science easily disproves the existence of the god described in the bible.
And yet Science can not answer the entire question facing humans and the universe.
Science does not have any evidence disproving the Creator( God).

Level 9

Evolution is true.....

#79472 Mar 7, 2013
Man, the things theyre finding out about humans existence now with DNA science.going to change our whole outlook on religion.

"DNA evidence has revealed that the oldest known common male ancestor is 340,000 years old, more than twice as old as previous estimates.
New Scientist reports that the sample comes from a recently deceased man named Albert Perry. After the African-American South Carolina man died, one of his relatives submitted a sample of his DNA to a company called Family Tree DNA for analysis.
The findings were published in the The American Journal of Human Genetics and may require researchers to adjust the known timeline of humankinds evolution.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/father-h...

Level 5

Location hidden

#79473 Mar 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
watch out. Dopamine is linked to addiction. lol
There's no such thing as good or bad anymore. Nowadays, we just assess hormone levels, genes, predispositions, personality type, mental health, tendencies, nature vs. nurture, lifestyle, education, intelligence, in other words, our very own DNA.
In the past, people didn't know about these factors play a role. But it's easy to just tell a child or someone what is simply good or bad isn't it? But the sad thing is even kids now pop a pill for ADD or ADHD or autism, etc. Will we ever find a cure for these things?
Now at page 3740

God is dead. Nietzsche is dead. And I'm not feeling so good myself.Woody Allen

What's your beef with evolution? You do accept it in what you call 'real' science i.e. the medical profession, but i still haven't figured out what step you missed from the grandfather Darwinism upto genomism.

I sometimes think the first two are statistical mistakes.
Anonymous is developing into an annoying pest with his attempts to disproof evolution by the theory of enlightened anti-bondslavery via the fall and innate badness, but before that I shortly pointed out such methods where they only turf the kids allready having other medical conditions.
If you would look at the majority of the population such behaviour would maybe be normal. As in not stand out.
Autism is a bit different. I would have to read up though.

Evolution is quite handy for explaining such a condition and for figuring out if a cure is possible. Afterall you do not want to cure the symptom.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 4 min Denny CranesPlace 24,086
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 12 min MyLittleSecret 17,048
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 22 min -TheExam- 38,160
7 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 25 min -TheExam- 1,486
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 32 min -TheExam- 62,112
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 33 min -TheExam- 8,334
Names, A to Z, ... (Aug '12) 37 min rainmaker2016 3,745
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 56 min Mister_ E 220,932
What Turns You Off? (Jan '17) 1 hr Boink face 987
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 1 hr MyLittleSecret 4,671