Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
74,661 - 74,680 of 112,978 Comments Last updated 16 min ago

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
In the olden days. As I understood it the more modern version of Buddhism doesn't rely on those old myths and is more about reaching spiritual (i.e. psychological) harmony. Though some theists may adopt some of its precepts also. Dogen could probably explain it all better though, he's our resident Buddhist around these parts.
From what I've read of the many buddhist cults, they have a long history of believing in many gods and 'heavens'.

i would love to hear from Dogen about it.

i often meditate to calm my mind. that would be psychological harmony i guess. spiritual harmony would get into fields of unproven myth...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
Officially less cool! My stance on the u.s. public school system isn't a religious one at all, oh presumptive one. Quite frankly, I've seen the village. It's filled with idiots. I don't want them helping me raise my children.
Like I said there may be other problems with US education, but I don't focus on them here. Things like inadequate funding leading to poor teaching (just as an example) may be a valid concern but not essentially relevant to this particular thread.
01Justsayin wrote:
Your opinion on my choice is irrelevant. It's not for you to make.
I don't recall offering one, and I fully endorse your choice to have your kids taught at your school of choice be it public or private, or homeschool them.
01Justsayin wrote:
At the same time, it baffles me how your logical, analytical brain can so easily dismiss things which you cannot prove or disprove using the scientific method as being altogether non-existent.
I've never claimed them to be non-existent, only unsupported by evidence.

There's no evidence of aliens either, but it's a big universe. So I don't claim there's no aliens just because we have no evidence. Especially since we've hardly explored past the head of a pin, comparatively speaking.
01Justsayin wrote:
There is no logic in that.
It is not illogical to dismiss claims with no evidence.
01Justsayin wrote:
No matter. You are entitled to your own opinion. Just don't expect me to share your narrow-minded viewpoint.
Not sure if you're misreading me or reading what you want.

I am perfectly open to the possibility that maybe there is some kind of intelligent entity that is somehow responsible for our universe.

However I am also perfectly open to the possibility that maybe there isn't.

I'm not sure how that can be considered close-minded.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok I'll let God know.
you'll let a myth know that he almost got his own account of his own creation almost corrrect? sure, pal. sure...

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>That's roughly how long ago the star forming began. You know we can date a lot of this stuff don't you?
Trouble is science dating stuff has been a disastrous.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
" http://www.grandcanyontreks.org/geology2.htm
"Inevitably, some of these visitors will turn to a park ranger and ask: "How did the Grand Canyon get formed? Why did this happen here and nowhere else?"
The honest answer is that nobody knows. One hundred and thirty-one years after John Wesley Powell first mapped the Colorado River by riding its 161 rapids in heavy wooden boats, no one can prove how the canyon was formed.
But it is not for lack of trying.
Geologists are puzzle freaks who love nothing more than collecting fragmentary clues -- clumps of gravel, fossilized shells and pollens, the dates that muddy sediments were deposited in dried-up lakes or whole mountain ranges were lifted -- and then trying desperately to figure out how the modern topography before their eyes was produced.
More.....
The modern Colorado appears to be a young river that flows out of the Rockies and hits a huge plateau, called the Kaibab Upwarp, which is 50 million to 70 million years old. Instead of being shunted away from this barrier, the river runs right through it. Moreover, when sediments from the river are examined closely, it is clear that the western end of the canyon -- where it flattens out and begins its final run to the Gulf of California -- is many millions of years younger than the eastern part of the river.
To many experts, this difference means that the Grand Canyon could have been cobbled together from ancient river basins that were created during different geologic eras. But if so, when and how were those ancient rivers formed and where did they go? "
I thank you for providing a linky which does not support your YEC position.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i deny your evidence of a creator. it is not credible. iot is just ancient myths re-hashed for your particular cult.
Love the sound of woodticks popping when you hold a match to them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>hey Langoliers...where ya been?

;b
It was only a couple days.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>hey Langoliers...where ya been?

;b
Just got back from you home town.
thewordofme

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol Cute. I like that one. Though I'm using my phone...and I'm clearly not a lamppost.
LOL....how ya' doing 01Justsayin??
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Trouble is science dating stuff has been a disastrous.
... for Young Earth creationism. Yes.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"Inevitably, some of these visitors will turn to a park ranger and ask: "How did the Grand Canyon get formed? Why did this happen here and nowhere else?"
The honest answer is that nobody knows. One hundred and thirty-one years after John Wesley Powell first mapped the Colorado River by riding its 161 rapids in heavy wooden boats, no one can prove how the canyon was formed.
Geologists are puzzle freaks who love nothing more than collecting fragmentary clues -- clumps of gravel, fossilized shells and pollens, the dates that muddy sediments were deposited in dried-up lakes or whole mountain ranges were lifted -- and then trying desperately to figure out how the modern topography before their eyes was produced.
More.....
The modern Colorado appears to be a young river that flows out of the Rockies and hits a huge plateau, called the Kaibab Upwarp, which is 50 million to 70 million years old. Instead of being shunted away from this barrier, the river runs right through it. Moreover, when sediments from the river are examined closely, it is clear that the western end of the canyon -- where it flattens out and begins its final run to the Gulf of California -- is many millions of years younger than the eastern part of the river.
To many experts, this difference means that the Grand Canyon could have been cobbled together from ancient river basins that were created during different geologic eras. But if so, when and how were those ancient rivers formed and where did they go? "
hogwash...a bunch of fundie nonsense. geologists have very clear record of how and when the grand canyon formed.

we even know that once a volcano lava flow damned up the entire river long before the fundies think the earth existed...

geology is fun!

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Just got back from you home town.
you have no idea wher i waas born.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>Trouble is science dating stuff has been a disastrous.
Not NEARLY as bad as religious references though, right?

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
More.....
i have a friend with a degree in geology who used to work at the canyon.
she was giving a tour to a group she didn't know was some kind of fundies and started her spiel about these rocks are so old and overly softer rocks so the erosion....blah blah...the group looked a little stricken and finally one of them spoke up and told her that they believed the earth was only 6,000 some yrs old...kinda shut down the rest of the tour for education. she would start " and these raocks are,erm,older..ish. and they are..erm..pretty!

she still laughs about it to this day.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>you have no idea wher i waas born.
I meant Hovland

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i have a friend with a degree in geology who used to work at the canyon.
she was giving a tour to a group she didn't know was some kind of fundies and started her spiel about these rocks are so old and overly softer rocks so the erosion....blah blah...the group looked a little stricken and finally one of them spoke up and told her that they believed the earth was only 6,000 some yrs old...kinda shut down the rest of the tour for education. she would start " and these raocks are,erm,older..ish. and they are..erm..pretty!

I would have asked for a different tour early on. No offense to your friend.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i have a friend with a degree in geology who used to work at the canyon.

Just one of thousand of signs through out the world pointing to a world wide flood, only 4000 years ago, not billions and billions of years.

Science big cop out just throw in billion and billions of year at it and anything can happen.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I meant Hovland
not my hometown. i have a home there. what were you doing in hovland? hanging out at Lisa's old store? not much else in hovland...

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have asked for a different tour early on. No offense to your friend.
I'm not sure they have fundimentalist version tours...

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Just one of thousand of signs through out the world pointing to a world wide flood, only 4000 years ago, not billions and billions of years.
Science big cop out just throw in billion and billions of year at it and anything can happen.
No, no it does not point to a world wide flood in any way. not at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••