Evolution vs. Creation

Jan 6, 2011 Read more: Best of New Orleans 160,106
High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Read more

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#79184 Mar 6, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
" http://www.grandcanyontreks.org/geology2.htm
"Inevitably, some of these visitors will turn to a park ranger and ask: "How did the Grand Canyon get formed? Why did this happen here and nowhere else?"
The honest answer is that nobody knows. One hundred and thirty-one years after John Wesley Powell first mapped the Colorado River by riding its 161 rapids in heavy wooden boats, no one can prove how the canyon was formed.
But it is not for lack of trying.
Geologists are puzzle freaks who love nothing more than collecting fragmentary clues -- clumps of gravel, fossilized shells and pollens, the dates that muddy sediments were deposited in dried-up lakes or whole mountain ranges were lifted -- and then trying desperately to figure out how the modern topography before their eyes was produced.
More.....
The modern Colorado appears to be a young river that flows out of the Rockies and hits a huge plateau, called the Kaibab Upwarp, which is 50 million to 70 million years old. Instead of being shunted away from this barrier, the river runs right through it. Moreover, when sediments from the river are examined closely, it is clear that the western end of the canyon -- where it flattens out and begins its final run to the Gulf of California -- is many millions of years younger than the eastern part of the river.
To many experts, this difference means that the Grand Canyon could have been cobbled together from ancient river basins that were created during different geologic eras. But if so, when and how were those ancient rivers formed and where did they go? "
i have a friend with a degree in geology who used to work at the canyon.
she was giving a tour to a group she didn't know was some kind of fundies and started her spiel about these rocks are so old and overly softer rocks so the erosion....blah blah...the group looked a little stricken and finally one of them spoke up and told her that they believed the earth was only 6,000 some yrs old...kinda shut down the rest of the tour for education. she would start " and these raocks are,erm,older..ish. and they are..erm..pretty!

she still laughs about it to this day.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#79185 Mar 6, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>you have no idea wher i waas born.
I meant Hovland

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#79186 Mar 6, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i have a friend with a degree in geology who used to work at the canyon.
she was giving a tour to a group she didn't know was some kind of fundies and started her spiel about these rocks are so old and overly softer rocks so the erosion....blah blah...the group looked a little stricken and finally one of them spoke up and told her that they believed the earth was only 6,000 some yrs old...kinda shut down the rest of the tour for education. she would start " and these raocks are,erm,older..ish. and they are..erm..pretty!

I would have asked for a different tour early on. No offense to your friend.

Location hidden

#79187 Mar 6, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i have a friend with a degree in geology who used to work at the canyon.

Just one of thousand of signs through out the world pointing to a world wide flood, only 4000 years ago, not billions and billions of years.

Science big cop out just throw in billion and billions of year at it and anything can happen.

St. Croix valley

#79188 Mar 6, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I meant Hovland
not my hometown. i have a home there. what were you doing in hovland? hanging out at Lisa's old store? not much else in hovland...

St. Croix valley

#79189 Mar 6, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have asked for a different tour early on. No offense to your friend.
I'm not sure they have fundimentalist version tours...

St. Croix valley

#79190 Mar 6, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Just one of thousand of signs through out the world pointing to a world wide flood, only 4000 years ago, not billions and billions of years.
Science big cop out just throw in billion and billions of year at it and anything can happen.
No, no it does not point to a world wide flood in any way. not at all.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#79191 Mar 6, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Like I said there may be other problems with US education, but I don't focus on them here. Things like inadequate funding leading to poor teaching (just as an example) may be a valid concern but not essentially relevant to this particular thread.

01Justsayin wrote, "Your opinion on my choice is irrelevant. It's not for you to make."

I don't recall offering one, and I fully endorse your choice to have your kids taught at your school of choice be it public or private, or homeschool them.

01Justsayin wrote, "At the same time, it baffles me how your logical, analytical brain can so easily dismiss things which you cannot prove or disprove using the scientific method as being altogether non-existent."

I've never claimed them to be non-existent, only unsupported by evidence.

There's no evidence of aliens either, but it's a big universe. So I don't claim there's no aliens just because we have no evidence. Especially since we've hardly explored past the head of a pin, comparatively speaking.

01Justsayin wrote, "There is no logic in that."

It is not illogical to dismiss claims with no evidence.

01Justsayin wrote, "No matter. You are entitled to your own opinion. Just don't expect me to share your narrow-minded viewpoint. "

Not sure if you're misreading me or reading what you want.

I am perfectly open to the possibility that maybe there is some kind of intelligent entity that is somehow responsible for our universe.

However I am also perfectly open to the possibility that maybe there isn't.

I'm not sure how that can be considered close-minded.
Not exactly the definition of atheism.

Location hidden

#79192 Mar 6, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>LOL....how ya' doing 01Justsayin??
Fine. Yourself?

St. Croix valley

#79193 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Not exactly the definition of atheism.
What do you think the definition of atheism is?
Billy Bob Gramm

United States

#79194 Mar 6, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>not my hometown. i have a home there. what were you doing in hovland? hanging out at Lisa's old store? not much else in hovland...
Not my Hometown I have a Home in that Town.....just weird.
Billy Bob Gramm

United States

#79195 Mar 6, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>No, no it does not point to a world wide flood in any way. not at all.
What if it was still wet?

St. Croix valley

#79196 Mar 6, 2013
Billy Bob Gramm wrote:
<quoted text>
What if it was still wet?
that would mean there was recent precipitation...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#79197 Mar 6, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
it's everything there is
If you believe in the bible, you are not a pantheist.

St. Croix valley

#79198 Mar 6, 2013
Billy Bob Gramm wrote:
<quoted text>
Not my Hometown I have a Home in that Town.....just weird.
i was of the impression that 'hometown' refered to the place of one's birth...

St. Croix valley

#79199 Mar 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe in the bible, you are not a pantheist.
Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that discrepency...

like MOST people who say they are "spiritual" but not religious, or believe in god but don't belong to any religion, she just took a religious cult's beliefs and melded them a tad bit.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#79200 Mar 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>If you believe in the bible, you are not a pantheist.
I have mentioned repeatedly the bible is a myth.

Location hidden

#79201 Mar 6, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>What do you think the definition of atheism is?
According to Dictionary.com :
1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

While I respect his extremely honest opinion, it does not correspond with the definition of a typical atheist. A fact I found to be...interesting.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#79202 Mar 6, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Glad I wasn't the only one to notice that discrepency...

like MOST people who say they are "spiritual" but not religious, or believe in god but don't belong to any religion, she just took a religious cult's beliefs and melded them a tad bit.
When did I mention that I take the bible literally? I do respect the literature much like the Egyptian myth or the Buddhist teachings or the Taoist philosophy.
Billy Bob Gramm

United States

#79203 Mar 6, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i was of the impression that 'hometown' refered to the place of one's birth...
It does, just sound weird.

"Not my home town it's the town where my home is. "

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Egypt court sentences belly dancer for 'insulti... 5 min Spotted Girl 1
News Man charged in fight over who's better: LeBron ... 7 min Spotted Girl 1
Say Something Nice. (Oct '09) 18 min wichita-rick 2,709
News School votes for communism-themed dance dubbed ... 26 min Rashanne 38
Things that make life eaiser... 28 min wichita-rick 16
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 35 min wichita-rick 161,123
motorcycle traveling stories 37 min Biker 495
News Snubbed Girl, 10, Gets Party of a Lifetime 38 min Spotted Girl 6
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 46 min Camilla 28,829
News Watch the bizarre moment when Scott Disick SHAV... 2 hr Christian Taliban 9
More from around the web