Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 204841 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#79010 Mar 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>So you cannot prove your ridiculous claims. Good night indeed.

Funny all of the scientific evidence is on our side and yet these creatards have a false sense of superiority. I guess the Dunning Kruger effect strikes hard and deep in the heart of creationism.
Lol What scientific evidence? In everything you've found, you have yet to be able to use the scientific method to disprove the existence of God. That's just fact. I don't believe in the evidence. I believe in God. Thus you cannot use the scientific method to prove to me why I shouldn't believe in him. The most you can do is disagree. I'm cool with that. What you can't do, however, is tell me that I'm wrong.

I'm not coming from a creationist standpoint. I'm coming from an individual one. Please refrain from putting labels on me when I refuse to put labels on myself.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#79011 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol What scientific evidence? In everything you've found, you have yet to be able to use the scientific method to disprove the existence of God. That's just fact. I don't believe in the evidence. I believe in God. Thus you cannot use the scientific method to prove to me why I shouldn't believe in him. The most you can do is disagree. I'm cool with that. What you can't do, however, is tell me that I'm wrong.
I'm not coming from a creationist standpoint. I'm coming from an individual one. Please refrain from putting labels on me when I refuse to put labels on myself.
there is no evidence of the existence of god. that's just fact.

Location hidden

#79012 Mar 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>It was a serious question. It seems that you are projecting again.

I know that not all of you do fit into boxes, but those that don't are far and few between.

Why did you make the idiotic assumption that I would use the scientific method to try to disprove god. It cannot be done. You cannot use the scientific method to prove that the world and everything in it was not created 15 seconds ago.

You may or may not be a creatard. You started off very badly with your insane assumption. You do seem to be following the creatard script. Deny science, use strawman arguments. Act like a general idiot. So far you have hit three of the biggies. All you have to do for the cycle is to deny the theory of evolution and you will have labeled yourself.
Lol Wow! You talk a lot! I mean A LOT! I'll start at the top. No. I'm not projecting. No. I cannot use the scientific method to say that the world and everything was created in 15 seconds. Really?! 15 seconds? Even God needed 6 days. No. I am not a creatard. A retard. Or a theiatard. My thinking is not slow. I'm not brilliant, but I'm no dummy either. No. I'm not following any script. No one controls me. There are no strings on me. I'm simply saying what is on my mind. Because I do have one. I can think for myself. I don't deny science. I LOVE science. And history. And music. And art. And languages. Hate math. Absolutely hate it. My 9 y/o is better at it than I am. Strawman arguments? WTH is that? Yes. I suppose I can act like an idiot from time to time. I am very light hearted and goofy. Ask anyone who knows me. Total goofball. Did I hit three biggies? I didn't even notice. What were they? I don't deny the theory of evolution. I'm not as well versed on it (especially in regards to its relation to creationism) as I would like to be so I can't honestly hold a discussion about it. It's just never been something i've thought too heavily about. Though you have peaked my interest. Allow me to do some research and formulate my own opinion. I'll get back to you on that.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#79013 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
I don't believe in the evidence.
Pretty well sums it up.

Location hidden

#79014 Mar 6, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Here is what I was talking about. We don't have to prove the nonexistence of Adam and Eve. That is a negative statement. All we need to do is to point out that there is no evidence, except for a story told around a fire by some camel shaggers. Not what I would call very convincing material.

So if you want to claim they exist it is logically up to you to present the evidence of their existence.
Lol Y'all kill me with this whole burden of proof nonsense. Listen, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Believe whatever you want. I respect that. At the same time, I don't believe in facts or evidence. I believe in God. Until you can use the scientific method to disprove HIS existence, then I'm gonna keep on believing because I have no reason not to. Your little camel shagger comments just aren't enough to convince me otherwise. Sorry. I know that I can't use the scientific method to prove God exists. Unlike many other free thinkers who have come before me, that fact does not drive me crazy. I'm okay with that. I don't feel the need to prove anything. I don't have to touch God to believe he exists. I'm not Thomas. At the same time, your opinion (cause lets face it. that's all it is) on this particular subject does not make mine incorrect. Neither of us can use the scientific method to prove or disprove the existence of God. Thus neither of us have a pot to piss in when it comes to telling the other that they are wrong. To do so is both arrogant and presumptive. Not logical or enlightened at all.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#79015 Mar 6, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty well sums it up.
He has fully submitted to his god delusion.

Location hidden

#79016 Mar 6, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't that what creationists are?(shrug)
Lol I don't believe that God and science are mutually exclusive. Call that what you will. I despise labels.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#79017 Mar 6, 2013
Even if there is evidence for God, we will never have consensual validation for it.

Context of discovery is the initial phase of research, in which observations, beliefs, information, and general knowledge lead to a new idea or a different way of thinking about some phenomenon.

How would we achieve this if we don't first validate the existence of God or at least be open to the idea?

Location hidden

#79019 Mar 6, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>I can say that your belief is your opinion. i tis a lie to say that it is a fact. That science cannot say whether it is true or false is what makes it an opinion and not a fact.
I can say that your lack of belief is your opinion. It is a lie to say that it is fact. That the scientific method cannot say whether it (whether or not God exists) is true or false is what makes it an opinion and not a fact.

St. Croix valley

#79020 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol Y'all kill me with this whole burden of proof nonsense. Listen, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Believe whatever you want. I respect that. At the same time, I don't believe in facts or evidence. I believe in God. Until you can use the scientific method to disprove HIS existence, then I'm gonna keep on believing because I have no reason not to. Your little camel shagger comments just aren't enough to convince me otherwise. Sorry. I know that I can't use the scientific method to prove God exists. Unlike many other free thinkers who have come before me, that fact does not drive me crazy. I'm okay with that. I don't feel the need to prove anything. I don't have to touch God to believe he exists. I'm not Thomas. At the same time, your opinion (cause lets face it. that's all it is) on this particular subject does not make mine incorrect. Neither of us can use the scientific method to prove or disprove the existence of God. Thus neither of us have a pot to piss in when it comes to telling the other that they are wrong. To do so is both arrogant and presumptive. Not logical or enlightened at all.
Seems you keep bringing up this whole proof business...

Location hidden

#79021 Mar 6, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>So what does it mean when you say something does not exist? Isn't it *exactly* that there is no way to detect such a thing, even in theory? Otherwise, how do you demonstrate that there is not an elephant in my living room?
Is there an elephant in my living room? Dangit! I told that elephant!

Location hidden

#79022 Mar 6, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Nor the Cosmic Sheep of dimension Zog.

Hence both concepts are just as valid.
Sure. Anything is possible.

St. Croix valley

#79023 Mar 6, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Even if there is evidence for God, we will never have consensual validation for it.
Context of discovery is the initial phase of research, in which observations, beliefs, information, and general knowledge lead to a new idea or a different way of thinking about some phenomenon.
How would we achieve this if we don't first validate the existence of God or at least be open to the idea?
yes observation. as yet there is none for any god, gods or goddessses...

the initial phase of research can begin when someone has such.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79024 Mar 6, 2013
anonymous wrote:
It should, but probably doesn't include alleles that existed at that time but are no longer in the gene pool.
Ah.

So we agree you have no evidence.

Location hidden

#79025 Mar 6, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Never once will you see a Hindu bowing before your particular god out of the thousands that have been proposed through history. However you avoided the point that he was correct. Just because you don't personally give two hoots about the FSM doesn't matter. Hindus don't care about your god either.
FSM? I'm cool with Hindus not caring about my God. I don't particularly worship theirs either. I'm cool with the Hindus themselves, though. Let them believe what they want. So long as they don't try to impose said belief system upon me. Or deny that mine exists simply because theirs does. Especially when they can't use the scientific method to disprove my God's existence. How ridiculous is that?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#79026 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I can say that your lack of belief is your opinion. It is a lie to say that it is fact. That the scientific method cannot say whether it (whether or not God exists) is true or false is what makes it an opinion and not a fact.
At least you admit your belief is just opinion and not reality.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#79027 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
At the same time, I don't believe in facts or evidence. I believe in God.
If you believe in God, just who in the hell do you think created all of those facts and evidences?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#79028 Mar 6, 2013
01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol I don't believe that God and science are mutually exclusive. Call that what you will. I despise labels.
Yeah, I got no problem with theists accepting science either. Generally people who believe in God and accept science we usually just refer to as Christians. However those who prefer to deny reality for the sake of their faith we refer to as creationists. They are the ones who say such and such a science is wrong because it conflicts with their ideas of how the invisible magic Jew didit using magic. Though you may despise labels they are usually quite handy every day things, so much so that the English language relies on them.

Location hidden

#79029 Mar 6, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing wrong with picking and choosing based on evidence.(shrug)

Did Herod exist? Yes.

Did he give the order to kill lots of babies? No evidence.

Was Jesus real? Currently debated by scholars.

Was there Adam and Eve or a global flood. No. Oh wait, you said God was not scientific so evidence contrary to the Bible doesn't matter because we can fix that with Godmagic which cannot be proven or disproven by the scientific method. In which case if we take that into account then possibly there was a global flood and Adam and Eve and talking lizards and donkeys.

Therefore Harry Potter could also be true. That would certainly explain the opposition many fundies have to it.
Ha God magic? I love it! Hey. Harry Potter's the shit. Those movies rock. Fundie shmundie. Don't label me. I don't like it. The fact is I don't believe in God simply because of evidence or the lack thereof. I just believe. Until you can use the scientific method to disprove the existence of GOD, I'm gonna keep right on believing. Until then, you can't tell me that said belief is wrong. The most you can do is disagree with it. Which doesn't bother me at all.

Location hidden

#79030 Mar 6, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>You mean those mean old 2% of the population who are atheists forcing atheism on everyone else? When did they start taking churches to court for not teaching atheism?
Lol Nice try. Hey, are you the Scot who called me a c*nt? I remember you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Some day, I would love to_______________? (Sep '12) 4 min Poppyann 699
I Haven't Had____? In ages (Sep '12) 5 min Go Blue Forever 1,182
Last two letters into two new words... (Jun '15) 6 min Poppyann 3,862
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 9 min whatimeisit 44,620
Post any FOUR words (Feb '16) 17 min Go Blue Forever 1,183
I posed as black to get into medical school 20 min Elizabeth Warren 2
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 35 min Bezeer 14,117
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 49 min 8541 MARINE 59,728
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Northbound 197,391
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 1 hr Sam 8,825