Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tempe, AZ.

#78687 Mar 4, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
There may be some minor discrepancy in order, in some instances...but it still pretty much coincides to the formation of the earth, and the development of life pictured by modern day science.
So this supreme God of yours who told the Bible writers what to write and who founded the laws of the universe and actually created the whole universe, made mistakes in what he told the writers of the Bible and allowed "His" supreme book to be wrong.

That sure sounds like a man-made up god to me. A phony and false god like ALL the others who have been 'outed' as fake.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tempe, AZ.

#78688 Mar 4, 2013
You theists are toast. Everything you have come up with has been disproven. Your holy book is outed as a man made phony. All of the stories have been disproven and your main man Jesus is probably a fictional character.

It's just a matter of time now.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#78689 Mar 4, 2013
One cannot prove or disprove the existence of God using the scientific method. Therefore your thoughts and beliefs are simply that. Your own. You, like all other people, have no right to impose said thoughts or beliefs upon your fellow man. Or to condemn them for having thoughts or beliefs of their own.

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#78690 Mar 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>when was the Earth totally covered in water?
Does the word snowball sound familiar?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/ancient_earth/Sno...

“I see quantum effects”

Level 2

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#78691 Mar 5, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I don't recall seeing where anybody claimed that all light came from water.:-/
Get over it, wimp.
Now you're just being stupid.

Well, you're STILL being stupid.

Somebody said that god created water before he created light.

Light comes from stars.

Oxygen comes from stars.

Therefore, stars, which create light, were necessary before water could possibly form.

Why are you always so freaking angry?

Nobody here raped you.

“I see quantum effects”

Level 2

In the macro world.

#78692 Mar 5, 2013
Babylon wrote:
<quoted text>
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light:
2 Cor. 4.6 and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters."
And god got it wrong.

But god's massive ego wouldn't allow him to admit his mistake.

“I see quantum effects”

Level 2

In the macro world.

#78693 Mar 5, 2013
Babylon wrote:
<quoted text>
Speak for yourself. I have a soul.
You're still a mud pie.
LEARNER

New Albany, IN

#78694 Mar 5, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
Pretty interesting find by ‘Students’ at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in West Virginia. Could be the precursors of life on earth really did come from space. We are all Aliens..:-)
“The beginnings of the beginnings of life, the fundamental building blocks of DNA and RNA, have been detected in cosmic clouds near the center of the Milky Way galaxy, student researchers at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) announced Thursday.
Using the Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia to look closely at the Sagittarius B2 molecular cloud, students detected the radio signals generated by rotational transitions of two prebiotic molecules, cyanomethanimine and ethanamine, key to the formation of DNA and the amino acid alanine.
“Finding these molecules in an interstellar gas cloud means that important building blocks for DNA and amino acids can ‘seed’ newly-formed planets with the chemical precursors for life,” NRAO’s Anthony Remijan said in an advisory."
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/01/student...
Was ice in space made by stars? Are we sure that water came from stars and it wasn't some kind of a cycle?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#78695 Mar 5, 2013
LEARNER wrote:
<quoted text>Was ice in space made by stars? Are we sure that water came from stars and it wasn't some kind of a cycle?
Ice is composed of water (of course). Water, as any elementary school child knows, is composed of two hydrogen atoms & one oxygen atom.

While hydrogen atoms were present shortly after the Big Bang, oxygen can only be formed within supernova explosions.

The formation of ice is NOT a "cycle", as that implies that water would decompose into its elements, then recombine. Of course, in nature this would never happen.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#78696 Mar 5, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Or "plagiarize"?
xD
Correct, as a rule.

Unlike some nanogodbots I could mention.

I see you no longer use that Merida avatar that you plagiarised?

Level 6

#78697 Mar 5, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you haven't met 'Skeptic'.
Nope and I am not suggesting but I did say as a rule

Level 6

#78698 Mar 5, 2013
LEARNER wrote:
<quoted text>Was ice in space made by stars? Are we sure that water came from stars and it wasn't some kind of a cycle?
Almost every element was made by the stars, the only ones I know of that weren’t are hydrogen, created just after the BB and the man made elements, much to heavy for water.

The oxygen in ice was made by stars.

Look into the night sky with a telescope, the nebula (remnants of supernovae) you may see have been spectroscopically analysed and contain vast amounts of ice

http://arxiv.org/abs/1212.0005
http://www.strw.leidenuniv.nl/events/phdthese...

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#78699 Mar 5, 2013
LEARNER wrote:
Well, the oxygen in the water came from stars. There is a cycle in the sense that new stars are formed from the matter left over from old stars. But the first stars were formed from only hydrogen and helium because that's all that was available. it was only after that first generation of stars that the heavier elements (past lithium on the periodic table) were formed. In particular, there was no water before the first stars.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#78700 Mar 5, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying a "Divinely-authored" scripture **ALMOST** got the creation story technically right?
Gotchya.
Funny, huh?

"Close" only counted in horseshoes and flamethrowers. Now it includes the bible.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#78701 Mar 5, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost every element was made by the stars, the only ones I know of that weren’t are hydrogen, created just after the BB and the man made elements, much to heavy for water.
Not quite true. Helium was formed in abundance during the nucleosynthesis stage of the Big Bang. So was a bit of Lithium.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#78702 Mar 5, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>which always makes me wonder why people seem so sure there are more advanced civilizations out there than humans...
if it took that long to make enough heavy elements as we have( on which a technologically advanced civilization would most likely need) then perhaps we are one of the first able to rise above the stone age?
Just a thought...
And it is certainly a possibility--note the Fermi paradox. The counter-argument is that there is a LOT of variation in how long it takes intelligence to evolve. There were even some dinosaurs that were developing larger brains and had the ability to grasp. Would they have evolved into technological intelligence? Who knows? And that would place them about 65 million years ahead of us.

The point is that stars last billions of years, species last a couple of million, and societies are lucky to survive thousands. The likelihood that we are the *first* to cross the technological boundary, even among third generation star systems, is low.

That said, the same considerations suggest it is unlikely that there would be *overlap* between two technological civilizations in the same, or even nearby, galaxies. We may well be the only technological species in our galaxy *right now*.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#78703 Mar 5, 2013
Babylon wrote:
He could have, but didn't.
And to echo what Neils Bohr said to Einstein - Stop telling God what to do.
Babylon wrote:
Well if he was "God is a non-scientific concept." then you could not teach science in school.
And you can't in the US. Private schools are the exception.
Babylon wrote:
Pretty good idea for science to stay away from God, look at all the funding they would lose if they did include God!
So far there's nothing to stay away from. However it's good for science to stay away from religious apologetics as that stifles scientific inquiry.
Babylon wrote:
So for now they will just have to play with his creations.
As do we all.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#78704 Mar 5, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ice is composed of water (of course). Water, as any elementary school child knows, is composed of two hydrogen atoms & one oxygen atom.
While hydrogen atoms were present shortly after the Big Bang, oxygen can only be formed within supernova explosions.
Not quite accurate. Oxygen is formed inside of large stars where the 'carbon cycle' is used for fusion instead of the 'hydrogen cycle' found in the sun. The oxygen forms fairly late in the life of the star, but supernova are only required to get elements larger than iron (because of binding energy constraints).
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#78705 Mar 5, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So according to the bible,the sun(a star)existed before the development of the earth(a planet)which I believe,is pretty much true to astronomy.
Science is irrelevant to religious apologetics. For any science that contradicts your religious beliefs you ignore.

For instance, Young Earth Creationists ignoring every single field of science ever just so they can say the Earth is only 6,000 years old.

This is why it's dishonest for creationists to say science supports their claims.

Level 6

#78706 Mar 5, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite true. Helium was formed in abundance during the nucleosynthesis stage of the Big Bang. So was a bit of Lithium.
Correct, my mistake, I was aware of this, I had heard it often before and should have included it, don’t know why I didn’t.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tellmealie (Dec '12) 7 min quilterqueen 311
Is it possible to....... 11 min Word by Word 517
The BIZARRE reasons why men rape in India 13 min Spotted Girl 1,050
Favorite Oldies Songs (Jun '10) 15 min Simply_Red 18,669
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 15 min -Lea- 25,506
Some day, I would love to_______________? (Sep '12) 17 min quilterqueen 258
Crazy Shipwreck Find: 2K-Year-Old Roman Food? (Aug '13) 17 min Maverick 808 30
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 40 min Simply_Red 152,350
"OLD SAYINGS" - - - Feel free to post them here... 58 min Independent1 53
True or False Game 2 hr Old Sam 1,242