Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#78665 Mar 4, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite.
First, the sun and earth formed at essentially the same time and from the same cloud of gas and dust. The sun was the center of the condensation and the planets were formed from the material moving around it.
Second, there were at least two whole generations of stars before the sun and earth formed. All of the elements farther than lithium in the periodic table were formed from processes either inside of stars or from stars exploding.
which always makes me wonder why people seem so sure there are more advanced civilizations out there than humans...

if it took that long to make enough heavy elements as we have( on which a technologically advanced civilization would most likely need) then perhaps we are one of the first able to rise above the stone age?

Just a thought...

St. Croix valley

#78666 Mar 4, 2013
Babylon wrote:
<quoted text>
there were tons of stars out there long before the Earth even started accreting.
Tons? One star weighs tons.
You're confusing weights with numbers.
So tons would still be technically correct....

even when trying to be a picky little shit, you are wrong...impressive.

“All things considered”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#78667 Mar 4, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
No.....
Day 1: Sky, Earth, light
Day 2: Water, both in ocean basins and above the sky(!)
Day 3: Plants
Day 4: Sun, Moon, stars
Day 5: "every living creature that moveth"
Day 6: Humans (apparently both sexes at the same time)
Note that on Day 3, God was to have created plants. Where did God place them? Floating in space?
Day 4 was Sun/Moon/Stars.
Of course this was Genesis ONE. Genesis TWO has a completely different order of Creation.
notice the sequence

1:Genesis1...In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.(matter)

2:Genesis2...Now the earth was formless.(un-condensed matter)

3Genesis3... And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.(star formation from condensed matter)

5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning--the first day.( the earth had form when the sun began to produce light(day and night...the rotation of the earth.

5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning--the first day.( the earth had no water yet...)

6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." ( water existed on the earth)

Then plants(as you point out)...developed in the water ocean plant life...seaweed etc.(the earth was totally covered with water at one time)

Then creatures.

Then dry land.

Then Man.

the sequence basically follows what science teaches today.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#78668 Mar 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
If that was true then civilization would never have succeeded at all. It would have destroyed itself and we'd still be hunting in Africa with dwindling numbers instead of becoming the superior species. The traits called "conscience" and "empathy" are common to the most successful species on this planet. Even simply caring for our young is "good," by any standard. The majority of humans are willing to even risk their own lives for each other, that is evident in the number of volunteer soldiers and emergency response teams. If there was no "good" in humans, we'd not have medicine at all.
Good point, but are we inherently good or are we constantly receiving negative reinforcement to keep us in line? Those who risk their lives are far fewer than those who would use others as human shields, by my observation at least.

We just live in nice neighborhoods.
anonymous

Barberton, OH

#78669 Mar 4, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Bub, I think that was more than ANYBODY wanted to know...
Oh, then you thought I'd be freaked by his image? Come now, I was in High School when Star Wars first came out. Do you have any idea how often I saw that guy's scene?...and Han shot first!

“All things considered”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#78670 Mar 4, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
No.....
Day 1: Sky, Earth, light
Day 2: Water, both in ocean basins and above the sky(!)
Day 3: Plants
Day 4: Sun, Moon, stars
Day 5: "every living creature that moveth"
Day 6: Humans (apparently both sexes at the same time)
Note that on Day 3, God was to have created plants. Where did God place them? Floating in space?
Day 4 was Sun/Moon/Stars.
Of course this was Genesis ONE. Genesis TWO has a completely different order of Creation.
There may be some minor discrepancy in order, in some instances...but it still pretty much coincides to the formation of the earth, and the development of life pictured by modern day science.

St. Croix valley

#78671 Mar 4, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
There may be some minor discrepancy in order, in some instances...but it still pretty much coincides to the formation of the earth, and the development of life pictured by modern day science.
Really really odd that you can actually say that after so many people ahve clearly shown you it does not...

is the cult that strong that you can dceny relaity in front of your face?

St. Croix valley

#78673 Mar 4, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
notice the sequence
1:Genesis1...In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.(matter)
2:Genesis2...Now the earth was formless.(un-condensed matter)
3Genesis3... And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.(star formation from condensed matter)
5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning--the first day.( the earth had form when the sun began to produce light(day and night...the rotation of the earth.
5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning--the first day.( the earth had no water yet...)
6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." ( water existed on the earth)
Then plants(as you point out)...developed in the water ocean plant life...seaweed etc.(the earth was totally covered with water at one time)
Then creatures.
Then dry land.
Then Man.
the sequence basically follows what science teaches today.
when was the Earth totally covered in water?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#78674 Mar 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Ouch!
I have succeeded in shaming myself.

St. Croix valley

#78675 Mar 4, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I have succeeded in shaming myself.
a little tough, don't knock yourself out...

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#78676 Mar 4, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying a "Divinely-authored" scripture **ALMOST** got the creation story technically right?

Gotchya.

St. Croix valley

#78677 Mar 4, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying a "Divinely-authored" scripture **ALMOST** got the creation story technically right?
Gotchya.
Nice!

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#78679 Mar 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Nice!
Well, it WAS a tough, 6-day work week, building the universe and all 6000 years ago.

"Was that tab A in slot B? No, wait...ME DAMMIT!"

St. Croix valley

#78680 Mar 4, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, it WAS a tough, 6-day work week, building the universe and all 6000 years ago.
"Was that tab A in slot B? No, wait...ME DAMMIT!"
ya think the almighty has a swear jar for when he takes himself in vain?

the whole divine inspiration concept of the bible and it's interpretation really has some serious flaws in it...

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#78681 Mar 4, 2013
Christians are still awesome. Sin makes life MORE interesting. Ever watched the movie "Cruel Intentions"

You sin but then you learn...that's just how life goes.

You live you learn
You love you learn
You cry you learn
You lose you learn
You bleed you learn
You scream you learn
-ALANIS MORRISSETTE - YOU LEARN LYRICS

If you have homosexual tendencies to the point that you deny the existence of God or even a soul in your mind and body, then you must be deluded.

SIN. The biggest fear of people and even skeptics that they resort to being in total denial. God just tricked you and instead you turn your back. Don't use Science as an excuse to further your atheist agenda. Shame on ya!

You know how us Catholic girls can be
High on, high on the little
We make up for so much time a little too late
I never forgot it, confusing as it was
No fun with no guilt feelings
The sinners, the saviors,
the loverless priests
I'll see you next Sunday

We all had our reasons to be there
We all had a thing or two to learn
We all needed something to cling to
So we did

I sang alleluia in the choir
Ale alleluia, luia, luia
I confessed my darkest deeds to an envious man
My brothers they never went blind for what they did
But I may as well have
In the name of the father,
the skeptic and the son
I had one more stupid question

-ALANIS MORISSETTE - FORGIVEN LYRICS

I'm a damn sinner! But I still found God. Shame on you twice.

St. Croix valley

#78682 Mar 4, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Christians are still awesome. Sin makes life MORE interesting. Ever watched the movie "Cruel Intentions"
You live you learn
You love you learn
You cry you learn
You lose you learn
You bleed you learn
You scream you learn
If you have homosexual tendencies to the point that you deny the existence of God or even a soul in your mind and body, then you must be deluded.
SIN. The biggest fear of people and even skeptics that they resort to being in total denial. God just tricked you and instead you turn your back. Don't use Science as an excuse to further your atheist agenda. Shame on ya!
the loverless priests
I'll see you next Sunday
So we did
Ale alleluia, luia, luia
But I may as well have
the skeptic and the son
Basing your world view on song lyrics...how could that possibly go wrong?!?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#78683 Mar 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Basing your world view on song lyrics...how could that possibly go wrong?!?
And you think I haven't posted many other things where my world view is based on? then you missed out on a lot. But I have no time to repeat myself. Unlike you, who just like to repeat the same response all the time. You just bore me to death now.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#78684 Mar 4, 2013
Cybele wrote:

You live you learn
You love you learn
You cry you learn
You lose you learn
You bleed you learn
You scream you learn

the loverless priests
I'll see you next Sunday

So we did

Ale alleluia, luia, luia
But I may as well have
the skeptic and the son

Mad props to you for quoting Alanis.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tempe, AZ.

#78685 Mar 4, 2013
Pretty interesting find by ‘Students’ at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in West Virginia. Could be the precursors of life on earth really did come from space. We are all Aliens..:-)

“The beginnings of the beginnings of life, the fundamental building blocks of DNA and RNA, have been detected in cosmic clouds near the center of the Milky Way galaxy, student researchers at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) announced Thursday.

Using the Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia to look closely at the Sagittarius B2 molecular cloud, students detected the radio signals generated by rotational transitions of two prebiotic molecules, cyanomethanimine and ethanamine, key to the formation of DNA and the amino acid alanine.

“Finding these molecules in an interstellar gas cloud means that important building blocks for DNA and amino acids can ‘seed’ newly-formed planets with the chemical precursors for life,” NRAO’s Anthony Remijan said in an advisory."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/01/student...

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tempe, AZ.

#78686 Mar 4, 2013
So all we need for life to flourish seems to be found in space.

Maybe all it needs is a planet that has reasonable temperature, gravity, and liquid water.

There will be life everywhere, and no need for magical floaty things.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 10 min CJ Rocker 26,687
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 12 min _hellbilly_ 304
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 13 min CJ Rocker 1,966
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) 27 min andet1987 229
Libs got what they wanted 28 min libs r pigs 0
The letter L (Jun '13) 38 min andet1987 615
The letter F (Jun '13) 40 min andet1987 913
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr -Lea- 25,684
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Naturally Wired 152,478
Is it possible to....... 3 hr Sarah 568
More from around the web