Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223191 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Babylon

United States

#78627 Mar 4, 2013

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#78628 Mar 4, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have formless matter...then light which would would come from condensing of matter to form the stars or star(sun)...then the development of the planets or planet(earth).
So according to the bible,the sun(a star)existed before the development of the earth(a planet)which I believe,is pretty much true to astronomy.
Babylon

United States

#78629 Mar 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>most likely some myths that include many, many proven lies and falsehoods.

do you believe every myth on the planet? why not, they are as credible as your story of the 'soul'...(actually more so, at least i have gotten candy from the Easter Bunny..)
"woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>there is not one shred of evidence that any soul or spirit exists. on what do you base this belief of yours?"

You don't have a clue? How long have you been battling the bible and today you don't have a clue as to where one would base their belief on the existence of there soul.

Are you that dumb?
Or do you believe we are that dumb to buy into your crap?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#78630 Mar 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>some music has soul, yes. humans do not.
who is Fish?
Forget Fish.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#78631 Mar 4, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
If anything, I'm suggesting that people are inherently bad. It just so happens that they behave better when they remember bad times, which religions often create, so it's a bit hard to separate the two.
If that was true then civilization would never have succeeded at all. It would have destroyed itself and we'd still be hunting in Africa with dwindling numbers instead of becoming the superior species. The traits called "conscience" and "empathy" are common to the most successful species on this planet. Even simply caring for our young is "good," by any standard. The majority of humans are willing to even risk their own lives for each other, that is evident in the number of volunteer soldiers and emergency response teams. If there was no "good" in humans, we'd not have medicine at all.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#78632 Mar 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>"the Moors Last Sigh" 2:1 "At the age of thirteen my mother Aurora de Gama took to wandering barefoot around her grandparents' large, odorous house on Cabral Island..."
is there a reason we are quoting fiction?(it is fun...)
Rushdie fan, eh?

Hehehe.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#78633 Mar 4, 2013
Babylon wrote:
<quoted text>
"woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>there is not one shred of evidence that any soul or spirit exists. on what do you base this belief of yours?"
You don't have a clue? How long have you been battling the bible and today you don't have a clue as to where one would base their belief on the existence of there soul.
Are you that dumb?
Well, considering that no religious texts have been demonstrated any more accurate than a Superman comic, the question is valid. You have zero evidence of a soul, so why do you believe in one? My guess is wishful thinking, you fear discovering that you are wrong, so you just wish for a soul, even if such a thing doesn't exist.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#78634 Mar 4, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have formless matter...then light which would would come from condensing of matter to form the stars or star(sun)...then the development of the planets or planet(earth).
Actually, the planets would be forming at the same time as the protosun is gaining mass. they could be pretty well formed before the sun ignites, as the solar wind would blow much of the lighter elements out of the planetary accretion disk.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#78635 Mar 4, 2013
Babylon wrote:
<quoted text>
Not Fish from Barney Miller?
No, that was Abe Vigoda.

And despite everyone's expectations every year, he ain't dead yet.

YAY, ABE!

St. Croix valley

#78636 Mar 4, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Forget Fish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =rOyj4ciJk34XX
More of a classical and classic rock fan...

actually, i'd take Phish over Fish.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#78637 Mar 4, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So according to the bible,the sun(a star)existed before the development of the earth(a planet)which I believe,is pretty much true to astronomy.
No.....

Day 1: Sky, Earth, light
Day 2: Water, both in ocean basins and above the sky(!)
Day 3: Plants
Day 4: Sun, Moon, stars
Day 5: "every living creature that moveth"
Day 6: Humans (apparently both sexes at the same time)

Note that on Day 3, God was to have created plants. Where did God place them? Floating in space?

Day 4 was Sun/Moon/Stars.

Of course this was Genesis ONE. Genesis TWO has a completely different order of Creation.

St. Croix valley

#78638 Mar 4, 2013
Babylon wrote:
<quoted text>
"woodtick57 wrote:
Are you that dumb?
Oh, I know where you got the cult teachings, i clearly asked why you believe it when it comes with all the other proven lies and has less credibility than the Easter bunny story...
Babylon

United States

#78639 Mar 4, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>Yes.

I agree with everything you cut/pasted.

Which is why I phrased my post the way I did, saying the Bronze-age shepards were **RELATIVELY** and **IGNORANT** peoples (hint: I didn't say they were "stupid" or "retarded").

If you were to look up the definitions of the two words I DID use, then you would know that there was no demeaning of the Bronze-age peoples implied.

They were as intelligent and as curious as modern man. They simply didn't have our advantage of several thousands of years of scientific investigation and technology.
It's just that it was the not the Bronze Age. And they were not shepherds.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#78640 Mar 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>More of a classical and classic rock fan...
actually, i'd take Phish over Fish.
Whatever...

St. Croix valley

#78641 Mar 4, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
there were tons of stars out there long before the Earth even started accreting. it tooka few generations of stars just ot cook up the heavier elements that make up the Earth.
Babylon

United States

#78642 Mar 4, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Forget Fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =rOyj4ciJk34XX
No! Do not forget Fish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

St. Croix valley

#78643 Mar 4, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
No.....
Day 1: Sky, Earth, light
Day 2: Water, both in ocean basins and above the sky(!)
Day 3: Plants
Day 4: Sun, Moon, stars
Day 5: "every living creature that moveth"
Day 6: Humans (apparently both sexes at the same time)
Note that on Day 3, God was to have created plants. Where did God place them? Floating in space?
Day 4 was Sun/Moon/Stars.
Of course this was Genesis ONE. Genesis TWO has a completely different order of Creation.
God has a very cute little neighborhood nursery. it's down on 42nd and Lyndale...

St. Croix valley

#78644 Mar 4, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Rushdie fan, eh?
Hehehe.
possibly the greatest wordsmith of our times...
Babylon

United States

#78645 Mar 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>.
You are not too well versed on the Bible are you.

"Ezekiel 25 (Estimated date of writing, 593-570 B.C.)
12 ‘Thus says the Lord GOD:“Because of what Edom did against the house of Judah by taking vengeance, and has greatly offended by avenging itself on them,”
13 therefore thus says the Lord GOD:“I will also stretch out My hand against Edom, cut off man and beast from it, and make it desolate from Teman; Dedan shall fall by the sword.”’
Ezekiel 35 (Estimated date of writing, 593-570 B.C.)
1 Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
2 “Son of man, set your face against Mount Seir and prophesy against it,
3 and say to it,‘Thus says the Lord GOD:

“Behold, O Mount Seir, I am against you;
I will stretch out My hand against you,
And make you most desolate;
4 I shall lay your cities waste,
And you shall be desolate.
Then you shall know that I am the LORD.

5 “Because you have had an ancient hatred, and have shed the blood of the children of Israel by the power of the sword at the time of their calamity, when their iniquity came to an end,
6 therefore, as I live,” says the Lord GOD,“I will prepare you for blood, and blood shall pursue you; since you have not hated blood, therefore blood shall pursue you.
7 Thus I will make Mount Seir most desolate, and cut off from it the one who leaves and the one who returns.
8 And I will fill its mountains with the slain; on your hills and in your valleys and in all your ravines those who are slain by the sword shall fall.’”
Jeremiah 49 (Estimated date of writing, 626-580 B.C.)
15 “For indeed, I will make you small among nations,
Despised among men.
16 Your fierceness has deceived you,
The pride of your heart,
O you who dwell in the clefts of the rock,
Who hold the height of the hill!
Though you make your nest as high as the eagle,
I will bring you down from there,” says the LORD.
17 “Edom also shall be an astonishment;
Everyone who goes by it will be astonished
And will hiss at all its plagues.
18 As in the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah
And their neighbors,” says the LORD,
“No one shall remain there,
Nor shall a son of man dwell in it.”
Isaiah 34 (Estimated date of writing, 740-680 B.C.)
10 It shall not be quenched night or day;
Its smoke shall ascend forever.
From generation to generation it shall lie waste;
No one shall pass through it forever and ever.
11 But the pelican and the porcupine shall possess it,
Also the owl and the raven shall dwell in it.
And He shall stretch out over it
The line of confusion and the stones of emptiness.
12 They shall call its nobles to the kingdom,
But none shall be there, and all its princes shall be nothing.
13 And thorns shall come up in its palaces,
Nettles and brambles in its fortresses;
It shall be a habitation of jackals,
A courtyard for ostriches.
14 The wild beasts of the desert shall also meet with the jackals,
And the wild goat shall bleat to its companion;
Also the night creature shall rest there,
And find for herself a place of rest.
15 There the arrow snake shall make her nest and lay eggs
And hatch, and gather them under her shadow;
There also shall the hawks be gathered,
Every one with her mate.
Like the prophecies in the book of Obadiah (written about 585 B.C.), these were unbelievable predictions! It would be like predicting that everyone in Los Angeles will be killed and that Southern California will become uninhabited except for wild animals—while the rest of the United States continues normally!"

http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/fulfill...

All proof of the Bibles accuracy.
Babylon

United States

#78646 Mar 4, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>No, that was Abe Vigoda.

And despite everyone's expectations every year, he ain't dead yet.

YAY, ABE!
Why not him?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Play "end of the name"... (Jun '15) 11 min Faerydust 3,371
True False Game (Jun '11) 14 min Faerydust 16,013
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 24 min I Am Enzo - The B... 6,734
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr wichita-rick 226,101
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 1 hr 8541 MARINE 32,461
Poll How is Offbeat compared to other social websites? (Nov '11) 1 hr Emerald 5
The Next Person Game (Mar '11) 1 hr andet1987 10,681
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr Emerald 76,612
More from around the web