Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 197267 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#78054 Mar 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Alas, i am inland form the great lake a few miles so no view of Superior, but i do have a nice view of a waterfall on a trout stream. if i climb the mountain behind us, i can see both Lake superior to the south and canda to the north!
It still sounds like paradise. I used to live in Minneapolis and grew up on a farm thirty miles south of there. I still miss four real seasons instead of the two seasons there are where I am now.

But we do have real mountains here. There are spots in this state where I can see 10,781 ft Mt. Baker to the north and 14,411 ft Mt. Rainier to the south. As the crow flies that is 100 miles to the south and 50 miles to the north. Locally I am half an hour from a mountain that is 5,000 feet high. If you wanted to you could golf in the morning and ski in the afternoon some days. Too bad that I don't golf.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#78055 Mar 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>lemon tree, very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet. but the fruit of the lemon, is so very hard to eat!
LOL! That song popped into my head the moment I saw 'lemon tree" in your original post!:D

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#78056 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
he's manually pollinating his lemon tree or he's got lots of insects in his room. lol
Now i have to look it up and write in in english. lol

It'snot only the position of ERV's , nor the astronomical chance that about 14 are more orless at the same place, but that they have the same function in humans and monkey though the regulation is slightly different.

Lemons can wait a moment...education ongoing.

ABSTRACT

In this study we report main properties of Harbinger DNA transposons identified in protists, plants, insects,
worms, and vertebrates. This is the first superfamily of eukaryotic DNA transposons where all autonomous
transposons, even those that are hosted by species from different kingdoms, encode two proteins: a super-
family-specific transposase and a DNA-binding protein characterized by the presence of the conserved
SANT/myb/trihelix motif. The last motif is known to be important for the DNA binding by different tran-
scription regulators. Therefore, we suggest that this protein is necessary for coordinated expression of the
Harbinger transposase. Although mammalian genomes are free of recognizable remnants of Harbingers, we
identified a widely expressed HARBI1 gene encoding a 350-aa protein entirely derived from a Harbinger trans-
posase some 450–500 million years ago. The HARBI1 proteins are conserved in humans, rats, mice, cows,
pigs, chickens, frogs, and various bony fish, as well as other extremely important proteins, including RAG1
and RAG2. Conserved motifs detected in the Harbinger transposases are also well preserved in the HARBI1
proteins. Therefore, the HARBI1 proteins are expected to be nucleases important for functioning of bony ver-
tebrates. We also found that the protein most similar to HARBI1 is encoded by an autonomous Harbinger
3_DR transposon that was transpositionally active in the zebrafish genome a few million years ago. Nonau-
tonomous transposons derived from Harbinger3_DR are characterized by a striking preference for a 17-bp
target site never seen previously in any other DNA transposon. Based on this observation, we suggest that the
hypothetical HARBI1 nucleases are also characterized by a strong DNA-target specificity.
---

Level 5

Location hidden

#78057 Mar 1, 2013
And if we know function we can relate that to time gone by.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#78058 Mar 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
It still sounds like paradise. I used to live in Minneapolis and grew up on a farm thirty miles south of there. I still miss four real seasons instead of the two seasons there are where I am now.
But we do have real mountains here. There are spots in this state where I can see 10,781 ft Mt. Baker to the north and 14,411 ft Mt. Rainier to the south. As the crow flies that is 100 miles to the south and 50 miles to the north. Locally I am half an hour from a mountain that is 5,000 feet high. If you wanted to you could golf in the morning and ski in the afternoon some days. Too bad that I don't golf.
Ahhh...so you laughed when i said 'mountain'...

they technically are mountains, but my neice and her hubby are out in WA and when they visited and I called them mtns, they kind of laughed...

they recently moved to Forks, for the sole purpose, I believe, to harrass the Twihards...

Level 5

Location hidden

#78059 Mar 1, 2013
In fact, self pollination (“selfing”) is the most extreme form of inbreeding, and it’s thus the most powerful tool to accomplish the goal of any form of inbreeding or line-breeding: homozygosity. Homozygosity is Greek for “one and the same yoke” and is the state of having two identical copies (alleles) of a given gene.

The reason breeders select for homozygosity is because having two identical copies of a specific gene means that the animal will be guaranteed to display the trait associated with that gene and is guaranteed to pass that allele along to its offspring. If that gene is dominant, it will again be guaranteed to be expressed in the offspring, if it is recessive, being homozygous in both parents will guarantee expression in the offspring.

It’s selective breeding. Breeders call this quality “prepotency.”

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#78060 Mar 1, 2013
MAAT wrote:
And if we know function we can relate that to time gone by.
I get it. Evolution of language. It may be the right time now to reconcile with the old myths.

Level 5

Location hidden

#78061 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I get it. Evolution of language. It may be the right time now to reconcile with the old myths.
Then self-pollination (selfing, 6 forms would you believe it!) as evolutionary dead-end is a good start.
A lot of bisexual animals switch of Self.Insemination. to avoid inbreeding.
So why can't plants? Or can they...it seems if they are retransplanted in the wild and surroundedn by cross-polinators they switch on.(provisionally, haven't foud a good excerpt yet)

In the meantime myths. OLD MYTHS

“I see quantum effects”

Level 2

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#78062 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
nope it's still a paradox. nice try
Only to you.

And the rest of the willfully ignorant world.

“I see quantum effects”

Level 2

In the macro world.

#78063 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Look it up on you tube. Why would they (tyson and dawkins) make a video on poetry of science eh?
Sorry.

You're going to have to make a little more sense than that.

I know you can do it if you really, really try.

“I see quantum effects”

Level 2

In the macro world.

#78064 Mar 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one who should be embarrassed now. I made no suggestion that there should be bees. I was commenting on how I missed the fact that the tree was in his front room. Ergo my no bees indeed quote.
Your fail is almost a variation of Muphry's Law.
Who's Muphry?

“I see quantum effects”

Level 2

In the macro world.

#78065 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
keep trying
Why bother?

“I see quantum effects”

Level 2

In the macro world.

#78066 Mar 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>lemon tree, very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet. but the fruit of the lemon, is so very hard to eat!
And it eats the enamel off your teeth.

That's not the next verse, is it.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#78067 Mar 1, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's Muphry?
I linked the article. Look for the name Muphry in blue print.

Level 5

Location hidden

#78068 Mar 1, 2013
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/Bio...
One method would be:
promotors and enhancers. These could see your artificially produced crops start cross-breeding again.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#78069 Mar 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Ahhh...so you laughed when i said 'mountain'...
they technically are mountains, but my neice and her hubby are out in WA and when they visited and I called them mtns, they kind of laughed...
they recently moved to Forks, for the sole purpose, I believe, to harrass the Twihards...
Yes, I laughed a little. But then I worked for the Minnesota Geological Survey when I was going to school. I spent part of one summer working around the Fargo Moorehead area where they use 5 foot intervals on the topo maps. Even then you will have only one line going through an entire map that covers a roughly ten mile by seven mile area. So they have elevations at the center of every square mile and many of those vary by a few, or not at all. When we were looking for one place we were told it was "at the top of the hill". Driving to fast on the country roads I zoomed past a place then realized that it was five feet higher than anywhere else for miles. Yup, that five foot elevation was "the hill".

Level 5

Location hidden

#78070 Mar 1, 2013
Given an environment of wild variation, obviously.

St. Croix valley

#78071 Mar 1, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
And it eats the enamel off your teeth.
That's not the next verse, is it.
not in the Peter, Paul and Mary version i grew up with...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#78072 Mar 1, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Ummm...mars doesn't have the same atmosphere we do. it is thought it once did, and then did have a similar water cycle.
so you idea that the Earth's water cycle is unique is a faulty premise to start from.
Titan has the exact same cycle, only with methane.

Liquids evaporate, rise, condense and fall all the time.

I dunno where the mystery is...

St. Croix valley

#78073 Mar 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I laughed a little. But then I worked for the Minnesota Geological Survey when I was going to school. I spent part of one summer working around the Fargo Moorehead area where they use 5 foot intervals on the topo maps. Even then you will have only one line going through an entire map that covers a roughly ten mile by seven mile area. So they have elevations at the center of every square mile and many of those vary by a few, or not at all. When we were looking for one place we were told it was "at the top of the hill". Driving to fast on the country roads I zoomed past a place then realized that it was five feet higher than anywhere else for miles. Yup, that five foot elevation was "the hill".
i guess it's all relative..

the peaks behind my place are the 'roof' of MN. not the tallest, that's Eagle mtn, over by Langoliers, but their very close and a whole ridge of them.(with my favorite trout lake, a
little tarn stuck up amongst their peaks!)

I've spent time in the rockies and the weather patterns here are the same, just on a smaller scale. Mountains lite?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 1 min Dont_You_Dare 144,745
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 3 min SweLL GirL 12,626
The last word in the sentence must rhyme with t... (Aug '15) 3 min Roxie Darling 937
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 4 min SweLL GirL 2,499
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 7 min Dont_You_Dare 7,331
Just start naming actors and actresses (Sep '11) 14 min Roxie Darling 4,931
Answer a question with a question (Apr '15) 23 min Grace Nerissa 2,327
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 52 min Hooded One 190,735
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 3 hr KNIGHT DeVINE 32,083
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 4 hr TheJerseyDevil 6,049
More from around the web