Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 222919 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#77975 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You have evidence that Mars lost its water? I'm not arguing that the ice found on Mars is not true. But the reason for that is still unknown. It's still a planet far-off compared to Earth. The climate is hostile for life unless you have evidence that there was life in Mars, a planet much smaller than Earth. Do you have anything to show me?
Yes, I do.

How is that question coming along. Which gas is denser? Dry air or damp air?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#77976 Mar 1, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
For one thing, Mars doesn't have enough mass-ergo gravity-to hold onto an earthlike atmosphere.
Do you have any idea how many other planets there are in the universe?
There are doubtless billions of other earthlike planets in the habitable zones of their planets.
I might be convinced of an intelligent designer if we could contact life on another of those planets and found that they were just like us.
Otherwise, they will evolve according to their particular circumstances and environments.
from what I have read, it is believed mars did have enough mass for a similar water cycle to Earth's, perhaps not as dense because it is smaller.

it is thought its lack of a sustained magnetic feild allowed the solar wind to strip away its atmosphere over time.(intelligently, of course...)

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#77977 Mar 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
How embarrassing. "No bees needed" indeed.
I see you still don't have an answer.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#77978 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bees#Evolution

Discuss.

Level 5

above and beyond

#77979 Mar 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do.
How is that question coming along. Which gas is denser? Dry air or damp air?
Hint: You can even feel that humid air is denser. Don't you kind of get suffocated with dry air? Even an airhead knows this. We can breathe humid air more easily than dry air even though humidity can sometimes be uncomfortable. Why do you think babies need air humidifiers and those with asthma need aqueous spray inhalers.

Level 5

above and beyond

#77980 Mar 1, 2013
oops, I meant to say dry air is denser.

“I see quantum effects”

Level 2

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#77981 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You have evidence that Mars lost its water? I'm not arguing that the ice found on Mars is not true. But the reason for that is still unknown. It's still a planet far-off compared to Earth. The climate is hostile for life unless you have evidence that there was life in Mars, a planet much smaller than Earth. Do you have anything to show me?
There is a growing body of evidence that points to Mars once having liquid water.

I'm not sure if it's been conclusively determined yet, but there is strong evidence for it.

We're still looking for evidence of life on Mars. We've only explored a tiny fraction of the planet with limited robotics.

Not finding evidence will not be conclusive proof that none ever existed there. Only finding life of its remnants will give us a definitive answer.

St. Croix valley

#77982 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
hiostile to life?!?

check out the environments here on earth where life thrives. the deepest holes we have drilled, life in the rocks there...

thermal vents in the oceanic depths, life there. toxic environs like sulfuric and arsenic lakes...

hostile environments indeed, yet abounding with life.

St. Croix valley

#77983 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
but i gave you an answer...two of them, actually.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#77984 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
To what? I am waiting for an answer to my question.

I answered your question about ERV's in detail. I asked you a very simple question and you have ignored it, twice.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#77985 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
oops, I meant to say dry air is denser.
You can't feel the difference, and density has nothing do with why some people need humid air. Now you answered half of it. You are right. Why is dry air denser?

Level 5

above and beyond

#77986 Mar 1, 2013
MikeF wrote:
So how do you explain the co-evolution of pollinating insects and flowers that rely on them? One cannot exist without the other, see commensalism or symbiosis.

Level 5

above and beyond

#77987 Mar 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't feel the difference, and density has nothing do with why some people need humid air. Now you answered half of it. You are right. Why is dry air denser?
duh. dry air has more weight. What is your point? You want me to calculate air density?

St. Croix valley

#77988 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
So how do you explain the co-evolution of pollinating insects and flowers that rely on them? One cannot exist without the other, see commensalism or symbiosis.
yes in fact they can. again, your basic premise is faulty.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#77989 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
No, many plants can pollinate without bees. Most of them pollinate better with bees. Don't put your flaws on other people. You cannot think of how the co-evolution started. Biologists can.

Level 5

above and beyond

#77990 Mar 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
To what? I am waiting for an answer to my question.
I answered your question about ERV's in detail. I asked you a very simple question and you have ignored it, twice.
So your ERV is enough evidence for evolution? Maybe they were implanted in the genome by the same agent is why chimps and humans share similarities. Genetic manipulation, ever consider that? Let me ask you, if you have HIV and then I contract HIV does it mean we had sex together even if we did not? NO. The same logic applies in ERV.

Level 5

above and beyond

#77991 Mar 1, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No, many plants can pollinate without bees. Most of them pollinate better with bees. Don't put your flaws on other people. You cannot think of how the co-evolution started. Biologists can.
Then explain commensalism in nature. Or is natural selection all you got?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#77992 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the reference? It said that any number of insects were involved in early pollination specifically mentioning beetles. It is the remarkable success of the bee as a pollinator that is interesting. The article suggested that the switch from wasp-like predator to bee pollinator was a result of predation on pollen laden insects. That is, they developed a 'taste' for pollen. Since they were more efficient at pollination (flight), they helped spread flowering plants which, in turn, lead to more bees. And the die was cast.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#77993 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
So your ERV is enough evidence for evolution? Maybe they were implanted in the genome by the same agent is why chimps and humans share similarities. Genetic manipulation, ever consider that? Let me ask you, if you have HIV and then I contract HIV does it mean we had sex together even if we did not? NO. The same logic applies in ERV.
Not even close.

You need to read my post about ten times over. The important part about ERV's is that they attach randomly. It is not just a case of some ancestor of two different species getting sick.

Let's just look at one, or if you are a cretinist two ERV's. That one ERV has a chance of one in a billion, actually a bit higher, of attaching to any point in the genome. Once it attaches there all of its descendants will have the ERV in the same place in their genome.

Now according to you some other animal, that is similar, could get the same disease, that sounds reasonable so far, and have it attach to the exact same place in the genome. Uurrrk!!! Oops, the record player just got knocked off of the shelf. The odds of that happening are only one in a billion. Do you understand that?

Now we each have 98,000 ERV's in our genome. We share almost all of them with chimps, both families have gotten ill with diseases that caused ERV's since the split so they are not exactly equal, but within a rather small margin of error they have the exact same 98,000 ERV's as us.

You are saying that that an ancestor, or ancestors of theirs could have gotten sick 98,000 times the same as your ancestors, and each time, at odds of a billion to one, the disease attached to the exact same place in each genome.

Sorry that is not going to happen. Ever.

St. Croix valley

#77994 Mar 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Then explain commensalism in nature. Or is natural selection all you got?
it is the perfect example of natural selection. species take advantage of their environment and adapt to beneficial arrangments such as those. those species, and members of those species, that do that well will live to produce more progeny.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thong jeans are just the latest weird fashion t... 20 min Emerald 9
Play "end of the name"... (Jun '15) 1 hr Princess Hey 3,059
Two rhyming words! (Jun '12) 1 hr whatimeisit 278
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 1 hr Princess Hey 150,488
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 1 hr Geno 29,121
A-Z of "ANY WORD" that comes to mind! (Sep '12) 1 hr whatimeisit 1,106
#Things You DON'T Want To Hear# 1 hr Pstr 238
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr Pstr 224,565
What's one thing you appreciate in your life? 2 hr Pstr 586
Poll What are you thinking right now? (May '08) 2 hr Pstr 6,457