Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 3,646)

Showing posts 72,901 - 72,920 of105,880
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77299
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>Nope. Gnosticism refers to knowledge while Theism refers to belief. Atheism is a lack of belief in a god, not an assertion of non-existence.
Well atheist are trying to change the meaning to mean that.

Atheist sure have a hard time keeping your believes straight.
Yet alone just the definition of the word atheist.

Merriam - Webster

athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity

"who believes". That's a positive assertion. Seeing as there is no proof of your belief It's FAITH.

Faith:
"Synonyms: devotion, piety, religion"

Ah yes Atheism is a Religion.

Have a nice day and don't forget to go to church.

Posted else where by derek4

From: The Columbus Dispatch:

February 4, 2011

Church, without God

“Stan Bradley likes Bible stories, admires Martin Luther and uses expressions such as 'heavens, no.'

The Lithopolis man is president of a local congregation and rarely misses a Sunday service. Occasionally, he goes to his wife's church instead.

For these and other reasons, Bradley considers himself religious.”

He is also an atheist.

continued:

“Like Bradley, some atheists participate in organized religion for its social and psychological benefits.”

continued:

“Churches are great places to find friends, support and youth education, so nonbelievers and believers alike join congregations to fill those needs, he said.

He has spoken to elderly and sick people who can no longer go to church and they say they most miss the feeling of community.

Recent research from Harvard University and the University of Wisconsin backs him up. It found that religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people, not because of belief but because of the friendships found at church.”
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/faith...

“religious people tend to be happier than nonreligious people”[I have said this all along, and my posts are still on the board to confirm it. Now you hear it straight from the atheist, lol.]

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77300
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Another well known atheist Stephen Hawking: "There is no God...There is no heaven"

I would say that this would definitely qualify as an assertion of non-existence.
Agreed!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77301
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>That would be a gnostic atheist.

There are different types of atheist.

An agnostic atheist would be somebody who doesn't claim to know there is no god, but doesn't believe that there is one.
See how they feel the need to include numbers into their clan.

Free thinkers need numbers to think freely.

LOL

“Insensitive Beast”

Level 3

Since: Dec 10

Cannon, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77302
Feb 24, 2013
 
Why can't evolution be a part of creation?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77303
Feb 24, 2013
 
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>I'm an aturtleist.
I could think of others words more fitting to describe you.:)

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77304
Feb 24, 2013
 
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I could think of others words more fitting to describe you.:)
Lol. Really!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77305
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Nimbletwig wrote:
Why can't evolution be a part of creation?
http://realtruth.org/articles/327-ccbie.htmlr

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77306
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The Incoherence of Atheism (Ravi Zacharias)

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77307
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Well, nimbletwig, one would need some evidence of a god, gods or goddesses first.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77308
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

The incoherence of believeing myths that you know are just re-hashed myths from previous cults...

www.com stupidity rules.org
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77309
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

woodtick57 wrote:
When were the Droid phones made in previous cycles, Free Servant?
I was speaking of systems in nature.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77310
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

How many big bangs havethere been? It would seem our universe isn't going to cycle into another expansion like that...
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77311
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The natural world as it exist without human beings or civilization has a particular systematic way of working. Systems in nature will cycle and reproduce following set patterns.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77312
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Well atheist are trying to change the meaning to mean that.
Atheist sure have a hard time keeping your believes straight.
Yet alone just the definition of the word atheist.
Merriam - Webster
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity
"who believes". That's a positive assertion. Seeing as there is no proof of your belief It's FAITH.
Faith:
"Synonyms: devotion, piety, religion"
Ah yes Atheism is a Religion.
Not really. It is easy to show how the dictionary is not a valid source for a definition of atheism. Most people are theist of some sort or other. In fact atheists are badly outnumbered. It is a reasonable assumption to make that the definition for atheism was written by Christians or Jews.

Now Langy, I know it hurts your brain to do so, but would you go to a group of atheists for a definition of Christianity?

In fact I have a deal for you, if you let the dictionary define atheism for me I get to define Christianity for you.

Atheism is better defined as a lack of belief in God, not as a belief that he does not exist. And if you want us to "prove" that god does not exist all I have to do is to point you to the Null Hypothesis, one of the basic logic tools for debates and logical thinking. It says, when you get down to brass tacks, that an unsupported claim can be safely ignored. If I claim there is a Magic Teapot on the other side of the Moon you can safely ignore that since I have no evidence of its existence. When you proclaim your belief in a God that demands you worship him and occasionally practice ritualized cannibalism I can ignore those claims of yours since there is no evidence to support them.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77313
Feb 24, 2013
 
Except, it seems, our entire universe....

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77314
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Not really. It is easy to show how the dictionary is not a valid source for a definition of atheism. Most people are theist of some sort or other. In fact atheists are badly outnumbered. It is a reasonable assumption to make that the definition for atheism was written by Christians or Jews.

Now Langy, I know it hurts your brain to do so, but would you go to a group of atheists for a definition of Christianity?

In fact I have a deal for you, if you let the dictionary define atheism for me I get to define Christianity for you.

Atheism is better defined as a lack of belief in God, not as a belief that he does not exist. And if you want us to "prove" that god does not exist all I have to do is to point you to the Null Hypothesis, one of the basic logic tools for debates and logical thinking. It says, when you get down to brass tacks, that an unsupported claim can be safely ignored. If I claim there is a Magic Teapot on the other side of the Moon you can safely ignore that since I have no evidence of its existence. When you proclaim your belief in a God that demands you worship him and occasionally practice ritualized cannibalism I can ignore those claims of yours since there is no evidence to support them.
I disagree most people are agnostic at some time maybe but not atheist.

You see there are two words with different meaning and you want to call yourself one title while using the definition of the other word.

Most atheist on these threads are using the correct title as they are positively asserting that no God or gods exist.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77315
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>There is really nothing new. Everything is just reproduced by cyclic patterned systems. Patterns are shown and followed.
'This flesh body of man'=under the sun'

Taking the chapter as a whole it points out that even gods are nothing new. Everything get's new attributions but we are frankly talking about the same old.
If you analyse it, there is nothing against looking further and deepen our understanding. Since it was there all along.

It's only with christianity that you get bans on looking into gods creation...but those are thus man-made bans to protect their claimed authority.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77316
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree most people are agnostic at some time maybe but not atheist.
You see there are two words with different meaning and you want to call yourself one title while using the definition of the other word.
Most atheist on these threads are using the correct title as they are positively asserting that no God or gods exist.
No, you are wrong. You don't get to use a dictionary written by Christians to define atheism unless I get to use a dictionary written by atheists to define Christianity.

And if you look at the etymology of the word it does not support that definition: a(without)theism(a belief in god). So all that says is that atheists lack a belief in god. Yes, most of them will say that god does not exist, but asking them to prove he does not exist is as ridiculous as demanding that Christians disprove the existence of leprechauns.

My point is that it is up to people who believe in something to supply the evidence for it.

Meanwhile, if you believe Noah's Ark and all that other nonsense here is a very short video with a question that a Christian should be able to answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77317
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

xxxooxxx wrote:
The Incoherence of Atheism (Ravi Zacharias)
The incoherence of religious apologists in their understanding of the SLoT.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77318
Feb 24, 2013
 

Judged:

2

FREE SERVANT wrote:
The natural world as it exist without human beings or civilization has a particular systematic way of working. Systems in nature will cycle and reproduce following set patterns.
I'll grant that several tried a tested methods of f.i. building a cup in an eye to support a lens can occur again and again, for the simple reason that they work and give an advantage.
There are countless more.
Or you might say that even chaos obeys a simple formula and will create a pattern sooner or later. And at base you would find chemistry.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 72,901 - 72,920 of105,880
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••