Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 169036 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#77418 Feb 26, 2013
<<cont'd>>American Institute of Physics has a Governing Board policy statement supporting evolution and opposing creationism.[13]

American Psychological Association The Science Directorate and the APA Council of Representatives issued a Resolution Rejecting Intelligent Design As Scientific And Reaffirming Support For Evolutionary Theory.[14]

American Society of Agronomy The ASA represents over 10,000 members. "Intelligent design is not a scientific discipline and should not be taught as part of the K-12 science curriculum.[16]

Botanical Society of America "The proponents of creationism/intelligent design promote scientific ignorance in the guise of learning. As professional scientists and educators, we strongly assert that such efforts are both misguided and flawed, presenting an incorrect view of science, its understandings, and its processes."[17]

Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology The Federation represents 22 professional societies and 84,000 scientists, and its statement FASEB Opposes Using Science Classes to Teach Intelligent Design, Creationism, and other Non-Scientific Beliefs was adopted by the FASEB Board of Directors.[18]

National Association of Biology Teachers "Scientists have firmly established evolution as an important natural process.... Explanations or ways of knowing that invoke metaphysical, non-naturalistic or supernatural mechanisms, whether called “creation science,”“scientific creationism,”“intelligent design theory,”“young earth theory,” or similar designations, are outside the scope of science and therefore are not part of a valid science curriculum."

The National Center for Science Education itself opposes the teaching of intelligent design, acting as a clearinghouse for information regarding efforts to force creationism (including intelligent design) into the classroom.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#77419 Feb 26, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> I am telling it to your face, all that did the worse than you, are long dead and forgotten, good luck?
No, you are telling me anonymously on an anonymous thread and that great anonymous beast know as the internet, you posted 16 house ago and I have just got round to reading it, I presume that we are not only in different time zones but an a different continent. So please advise using basic logic without resorting to christian lies is that telling me to my face?

Yes, death comes to us all, including christians. The difference is I know without doubt what will happen to the my constant atoms for and billions billions of years after I die. You on the other hand, with absolutely no evidence live with the hope and delusion of a something else.

The universe is here and shows you delusion for what it is, delusion. Live with it

*** READ ***

The following is supposedly an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term exam paper.

The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different Religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

(1). If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

(2). If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you, and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct...leaving only Heaven thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A
Learner

New Albany, IN

#77420 Feb 26, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
So am I.
I read one on this thread. I think it was cycles and patterns or something or the other.:0)

Level 6

#77421 Feb 26, 2013
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, nice try.
"a religious fanatic buys onto a cult with no evidence whatsoever."
You are deliberately, and with dishonesty, mixing "religion" and "cult" into the same sentence, as if they are interchangeable.
Nice try indeed. We can now safely count you out from all future rational and logical discussions.
So you make the claim now please advise of evidence (any evidence) that confirms religious beliefs?

There are 38000+ different cults of christianity, my betting is you are a member of one of those cults.

“There is no such thing”

Level 3

as a reasonable person

#77422 Feb 26, 2013
If any form of Christianity is to be followed , Snake handling is the way to go.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#77423 Feb 26, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Lie.
A SMALL sample of scientific organizations that support the teaching of Evolution in public schools:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientif...
The American Association for the Advancement of Science is the world's largest general scientific society. The AAAS serves some 262 affiliated societies and academies of science, serving 10 million individuals. A 2002 statement states: "[T]he lack of scientific warrant for so-called 'intelligent design theory' makes it improper to include as a part of science education."[1]
A 2006 statement on the teaching of evolution: "Some bills seek to discredit evolution by emphasizing so-called "flaws" in the theory of evolution or "disagreements" within the scientific community. Others insist that teachers have absolute freedom within their classrooms and cannot be disciplined for teaching non-scientific &#8220;alternatives&#8 221; to evolution. A number of bills require that students be taught to "critically analyze" evolution or to understand "the controversy." But there is no significant controversy within the scientific community about the validity of the theory of evolution. The current controversy surrounding the teaching of evolution is not a scientific one."[2]
American Association of University Professors is an organization of professors and other academics in the United States. AAUP membership is about 47,000, with over 500 local campus chapters and 39 state organizations.[4] "deplores efforts in local communities and by some state legislators to require teachers in public schools to treat evolution as merely a hypothesis or speculation, untested and unsubstantiated by the methods of science, and to require them to make students aware of an "intelligent-design hypothesis" to account for the origins of life. These initiatives not only violate the academic freedom of public school teachers, but can deny students an understanding of the overwhelming scientific consensus regarding evolution."[5]
American Astronomical Society is an American society of professional astronomers and other interested individuals, with over 7,000 members and six divisions. "Intelligent Design" fails to meet the basic definition of a scientific idea: its proponents do not present testable hypotheses and do not provide evidence for their views that can be verified or duplicated by subsequent researchers. Since "Intelligent Design" is not science, it does not belong in the science curriculum of the nation&#8217;s primary and secondary schools."[9]
American Chemical Society is a scientific society that supports scientific inquiry in the field of chemistry, with more than 164,000 members at all degree-levels and in all fields of chemistry, chemical engineering, and related fields. It is the world's largest scientific society and one of the leading sources of authoritative scientific information.[10] "urges... State and local education authorities to support high-quality science standards and curricula that affirm evolution as the only scientifically accepted explanation for the origin and diversity of species."[11]
American Geophysical Union The AGU represents over 43,000 Earth and space scientists. "Advocates of intelligent design believe that life on Earth is too complex to have evolved on its own and must therefore be the work of a designer. That is an untestable belief and, therefore, cannot qualify as a scientific theory." [12]
<<cont'd>>
A fool says there is no God.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Orlando

#77424 Feb 26, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>A fool says there is no God.
Speaking of fools, please show where I've stated that there is "no God".

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#77425 Feb 26, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you are telling me anonymously on an anonymous thread and that great anonymous beast know as the internet, you posted 16 house ago and I have just got round to reading it, I presume that we are not only in different time zones but an a different continent. So please advise using basic logic without resorting to christian lies is that telling me to my face?
Yes, death comes to us all, including christians. The difference is I know without doubt what will happen to the my constant atoms for and billions billions of years after I die. You on the other hand, with absolutely no evidence live with the hope and delusion of a something else.
The universe is here and shows you delusion for what it is, delusion. Live with it
*** READ ***
The following is supposedly an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term exam paper.
The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.
Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?
Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.
One student, however, wrote the following:
First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.
As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different Religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell.
With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.
This gives two possibilities:
(1). If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.
(2). If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.
So which is it?
If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you, and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct...leaving only Heaven thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."
THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A
False!
Just grow up.
No one can defeat the almighty.

“There is no such thing”

Level 3

as a reasonable person

#77426 Feb 26, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> False!
Just grow up.
According to the bible, the Serpent did when it got his perfect creations Adam and Eve to defy him.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#77428 Feb 26, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of fools, please show where I've stated that there is "no God".
OK, sorry about that. It's the other Evo minions I was referring to then. ;)

Level 6

#77429 Feb 26, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> False!
Just grow up.
*False*- Not false, every word up to the word READ is fact, You made a claim, it was a lie (as we expect from you)– You lied about “face to face” and people die. Just because you think you are better than everyone else and are immortal is not my problem but your delusion

However if you are willing to show proof of what you say I will be willing to consider it but of course you are not willing to offer any proof because NO PROOF EXISTS

*Just grow up.*- that’s a good one coming from a childish liar for a mythical god

*No one can defeat the almighty*- This is almost true, however there is one story… My guess is you are incapable of considering the bits of the babble you don’t like. But of course the human imagination is hard to beat. To defeat the human imagination you need to commit genocide – funnily enough that’s another story in the babble.

So not false, only you own narrow minded delusion interfering with your “thinking”(and I use the word lightly) process

After the word READ in my post - who knows, it’s just a story from the internet as specified in the lead up to it, you see I do not lie, I have no god and so unlike you I see no need to lie.

Level 6

#77430 Feb 26, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>A fool says there is no God.
E=MC^2
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#77431 Feb 26, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>OK, sorry about that. It's the other Evo minions I was referring to then. ;)
I would not say thre is no god for sure. I say the chance there is a god is very very remote. And if there is a god it is nothing like the bible says...A god like in the bible deserves no worship at all.

“I know where you are,”

Level 8

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#77432 Feb 26, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> No one can defeat the almighty.
If you truly believe what you say, shouldn't "almighty" be capitalized?
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#77433 Feb 26, 2013
A fool says 100% fact that there is a god.

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Taizhou, China

#77435 Feb 26, 2013
A chemistry student quoted by ChristineM wrote:
If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.
Oh, goodness, I hope not.
I promised someone I'd convert to Creationism "when Hell freezes over."
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#77436 Feb 26, 2013
The God of the Bible loved you so much that he sent his Son to suffer for you, so that you could inherit eternal life in the Kingdom of God. Praise his name!

Level 5

Taizhou, China

#77437 Feb 26, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
A SMALL sample of scientific organizations that support the teaching of Evolution in public schools:
[list deleted]

Charles Idemi wrote:
A fool says there is no God.

Charles, how did we get from the subject of supporting the teaching of Evolution in public schools to the question of whether or not there is a God?
You jump from one subject to another so often you make me dizzy.

Level 5

Taizhou, China

#77438 Feb 26, 2013
Sorry, that was Free Servant.
I wish we were allowed to delete posts.

But the question still stands:
Free Servant, how did we get from one subject to another?

Level 5

Taizhou, China

#77439 Feb 26, 2013
sickofit wrote:
A fool says 100% fact that there is a god.
When I was teaching a class, I said, "Now remember, children, only a fool is ever absolutely sure of himself."
A student raised his hand and said, "Are you sure of that, Mister Robertson?"
I beat my fist on the desk and said, "Absolutely!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rebel vs American Flag 11 min Bedford Gump 32
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 12 min KNIGHT DeVINE 57,215
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 20 min KNIGHT DeVINE 12,130
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 20 min Old Sam 32,350
A To Z Of Movies (Sep '12) 21 min Old Sam 5,182
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 22 min Old Sam 140,833
LOVE and OTHER BRUISES (Apr '12) 24 min KNIGHT DeVINE 1,377
" Tell me a secret"...... (Oct '14) 33 min Sublime1 359
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 37 min wichita-rick 165,562
TRUMP, Donald 1 hr Thanks for that Bex 42