Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story
drink The hive

Anonymous Proxy

#77266 Feb 23, 2013
The Irish In S.Boston Are Saying That Jesus Were Born There...

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#77268 Feb 23, 2013
MAAT wrote:
Evolution:
The competition for environmental advantages by means of parasitism or symbiosis directed towards short- and longterm effect on the viability of populations.
Collins 1988 dictionary on biology would have: an explanation of the way in which present day organisms have been produced. involving changing taking place in the genetic make-up of populations that have been passed on to successive generations. Then it goes on to darwinism, mutations, naturel selection, adaptation genetic) as the means to give rise to new species (as opposed to special creation) but on how fast that happened the debate was still ongoing in 1988.

Well this should cover the bases without the drawback of leading to f.i. discussions as whether 'natural' is really god-design.

Evolution is an explanation of the way in which present day organisms have been produced and in which several mutations have given rise to changes or led to demise of species due to biological pressurures expressed in competition for environmental advantages by means of parasitism or symbiosis directed towards short-(health and productivity) and longterm (health, productivity spanning generations) effects on the viability of populations as a whole.

Level 5

Location hidden

#77269 Feb 23, 2013
No not happy yet.

Evolution is an explanation of the way in which present day organisms have been produced BY several mutations giving rise to changes or leading to demise of species due to biological pressures expressed adaptation or failure to adapt to competition for environmental advantages by means of parasitism or symbiosis directed towards short-(health and productivity) and longterm (health and productivity spanning generations) effects on the viability of populations as a whole.

Level 5

Location hidden

#77270 Feb 23, 2013
darn

and then we have not yet discussed it.

Evolution is an explanation of the way in which present day organisms have been produced BY several mutations giving rise to changes or leading to demise of species due to biological (pressure) expressed adaptation or failure to adapt IN competition for environmental advantages by means of parasitism or symbiosis directed towards short-(health and productivity) and longterm (health and productivity spanning generations) effects on the viability of populations as a whole.

Stress and thus pressure, no matter what the origin is causal in changes, but i wonder if it should be in my general definition of evolotion.
Reasoning like that i would say: "yes".

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#77271 Feb 23, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
That would be agnostic:
noun
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2 : a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>
Nope. Gnosticism refers to knowledge while Theism refers to belief. Atheism is a lack of belief in a god, not an assertion of non-existence.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#77274 Feb 24, 2013
TaylorChristineCreations wrote:
<quoted text>
No because the religion is abunch of f**king nonsense and stupidity. It's for the weak minded people who are dependent on others for happiness.
as far as "weak minded people" go...I had to look that up, and was really quite surprised to see who was on the list..

"The 50 Most Influential Christians of All Time"

http://brainz.org/50-most-influential-christi...

Leonardo da Vinci...William Shakespeare...Sir Isaac Newton...George Washington...Mozart...Napoleon Bonaparte...Charles Darwin...Thomas Edison...Alexander Graham Bell...Winston Churchill

Location hidden

#77275 Feb 24, 2013
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Gnosticism refers to knowledge while Theism refers to belief. Atheism is a lack of belief in a god, not an assertion of non-existence.
One of the most well known atheist Richard Dawkins states "put your "TRUST" in the scientific method...put your "FAITH" in the scientific method"...( very end of video)

which is clearly an assertion of atheistic non-existence...

Location hidden

#77276 Feb 24, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be agnostic:
ag·nos·tic\ag-ˈnäs-tik,əg -\
noun
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2 : a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>
"I know that I know nothing"

-Socrates

Location hidden

#77277 Feb 24, 2013
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Another well known atheist Stephen Hawking: "There is no God...There is no heaven"

I would say that this would definitely qualify as an assertion of non-existence.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#77278 Feb 24, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
Another well known atheist Stephen Hawking: "There is no God...There is no heaven"
I would say that this would definitely qualify as an assertion of non-existence.
I agree that some who are atheists assert the non-existence of gods. Do you have a point?

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#77280 Feb 24, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet.
Big word, there.
Big word for science.

Level 2

Location hidden

#77281 Feb 24, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Science can not correct your statements. It strives.;p
There are a lot of theories, but suppose we figure it out, uh science figures it out, then you will still owe us the answers to the theological questions about the dinosaurs!
Science can not answer the given question. Period.

Location hidden

#77282 Feb 24, 2013
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that some who are atheists assert the non-existence of gods. Do you have a point?
Just addressing your statement that atheism "is lack of belief in a god, not an assertion of non-existence."

Level 2

Location hidden

#77283 Feb 24, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not an answer, you just made more assertions and presented no evidence to support them. You are a liar then.
Irony!

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#77284 Feb 24, 2013
Chip, Chip, Chip...for the umpteenth time, that is not irony. Do no use words you do not understand....
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#77285 Feb 24, 2013
Religous people say evolution cant happen because something cant come from nothing. So how did something come from a nothing god? I mean is this. Who created god if all thinsg need a creator who created god??????Maybe we should worship grand god or super god....

Level 2

Location hidden

#77286 Feb 24, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
Chip, Chip, Chip...for the umpteenth time, that is not irony. Do no use words you do not understand....
True!
You are indeed talking to yourself.

St. Croix valley

#77287 Feb 24, 2013
sickofit, use new and improved ULTRA-GOD!!! Wipes away all your theological conundrums with no scrubbing of buffing. Order now and you'll get our trinity package of three ULTRA-GODS in one!*

order now, operators have been, and always will be standing by...

(*Offer void in Mecca and Tel-Aviv.)

St. Croix valley

#77288 Feb 24, 2013
So Chaz, what other things do you pst that you do not understand? Everything? You'v clearly shown your lack of knowledge of the religion you profess to believe in and adhere to...anything you want to look foolish about?
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#77289 Feb 24, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
sickofit, use new and improved ULTRA-GOD!!! Wipes away all your theological conundrums with no scrubbing of buffing. Order now and you'll get our trinity package of three ULTRA-GODS in one!*
order now, operators have been, and always will be standing by...
(*Offer void in Mecca and Tel-Aviv.)
Now that is funny...LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 8 min Blacque Jacque Sh... 20,510
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 8 min Enzo49 146,997
What ?? are you thinking about NOW? 2014 12 min Adrian DeVine 415
white... 20 min whatimeisit 265
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 23 min Enzo49 13,328
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 29 min Old Sam 2,411
What Could Be Mixed,...? 31 min Old Sam 34
What's your tip for the day? 50 min Anonomuss 1,076
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 7 hr eleanorigby 36,514
•••