Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
71,721 - 71,740 of 112,842 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Read the bible book of Genesis.
I have.

Claims that he did it - doesn't say how.

That was my question.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Thomas Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Will three historical references do the trick?
Nicolas Flammel (c. 1330-1418) was a French scrivener.
Legend shrouded Flammel with supernatural powers by people living in the Seventeenth Century, not by J. K. Rowling.
Paracelsus (1493-1541) was a German Swiss astrologer.
Henry Cornelius Agrippa (1486-1535) was a German astrologer and alchemist.
All three historical figures are mentioned in the Harry Potter books.
You say that if King Herod was an actual person, that proves that the entire Bible is true?
Then if Flamel, Paracelsus, and Agrippa were actual people, why doesn't that prove that the Harry Potter novels are true?
Hehehe.

You're going to Hell, you know.

ROFLOL.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Ofcourse i agree, the Catholic church then, did alot of bad things to people, but all these, does not change or invalidates the reality of God.
Why would that God of yours sponsor/condone slavery.

Why would that same God stand around and let the 'Only True Church' kill many many thousands of humans in the witch hunts and Inquisitions?
drink the hivE

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Scientist - My Finding' Are Pointless When Taken Out Of Context.

Media - Scientist Claims "Findings Are Pointless"...

http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/T/a/4/o...

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

H. G. Wells invented a time machine.
The first thing he did was jump in and travel back to Benjamin Franklin’s time.
He said,“Hi! My name is H. G. Wells and I just invented a time machine.
I traveled back here because I wanted to meet you.
I would also like to meet William Shakespeare.
Would you like to meet him too?”

Franklin said,“I believe I would.“
Wells said,“Let’s go.”

So they both hopped into the time machine and traveled back to the early Seventeenth Century.
There, they met William Shakespeare.
They asked him if there were any historical figures which he would like to meet.
Shakespeare said,“I have always wanted to meet Leonardo da Vinci.”
Wells and Franklin agreed that they would, too.
Shakespeare said,“But there is just one problem. What will we do about the language barrier?”
Wells and Franklin looked at each other.
Wells said,“Let’s travel back into the future and see what we can do about that.”

So they all hopped into the time machine and traveled into our time.
They purchased a cell phone and wrote down the number of an Italian interpreter.
While they were in the store, the clerk told the three gentlemen about the Internet and the wonderful role which it plays in communication in all fields of study.

Then they hopped back into the time machine and traveled to the early Sixteenth Century.
With help from the cell phone, they introduced themselves to Leonardo and asked him if he would like to travel to the future with them.
Leonardo said,“Si. Mi piacerebbe molto.”

So all four men hopped into the time machine and traveled back into our time.
They knocked on the door of Charles Idemi’s house.
Wells said,“Hi. I’m H. G. Wells, this is Benjamin Franklin, this is William Shakespeare, and this is Leonardo da Vinci. We understand that you are an educationist, business administrator, and minister of the gospel. So we would like for you to share your wisdom with us.”

Whereupon all five great men sat down and conversed until the wee small hours of the morning.

There. I’ve written a story which uses only names of actual people.
So the story itself must be true.

Level 5

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Charles Idemi wrote:
“Of course i agree, the Catholic church then, did alot of bad things to people, but all these, does not change or invalidates the reality of God.”

So we have an all-powerful and all-loving God who either can’t or won’t establish a church better than the Christian church has done.

If God is all-powerful, why CAN'T he establish a church which would not usher in the Dark Ages?

If God is all-loving, why WON’T he establish a church which would not usher in the Dark Ages?

Level 9

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"Archaeologists have also been unable to find evidence in Egypt for a million+ Hebrews living in or leaving Egypt at any time."
We can't seem to find the rock that provided the last missing mineral to the primordial soup that created life either.
Go figure!
You make fun, but I have given you a real example of science disproving your 'Holy' book, that is supposedly inspired by God.

Nope....no Godly inspiration there.

OK here's another real one that has some impact on Christian Dogma.

We know for a fact that humans were spread ALL over the earth by 15,000 years ago. There were humans living in China, Korea, Japan, Egypt, the Indus Valley, India, Australia, all of Europe, all of Asia, and all of the Americas, both North and South.

Your own theologians put the Tower of Babel and the subsequent confusing of human languages around 2200-2000 BC.

Do you think all these millions of people already spread all over earth were grunting at each other? Or just maybe they were already speaking their own languages...after all they had been there for thousands of years and counting.

Another founding story of the Christian God gone kaput and the scientists didn't even realize it for awhile.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
oh nice that's another lie! Have you no shame!
Fine, you think you know your Bible better than I do?

Here is a simple challenge. Answer this multiple choice question:

In modern day English what is forbidden by the 10th commandment:

A: Cheeseburgerz.

B. Smacking your old lady around.

C. Shtuping the neighbor lady.

D. Watching Football.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

And of course by the Ten Commandments I am referring to the ones that were supposedly carved in stone by Gawd Almighty himself.

“Steaming hunk”

Level 4

butler, pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

earlyapex wrote:
<quoted text>
If only it were so! Unfortunately, science is run by humans, and humans do what they always do - insert bias. Even science is biased dramatically by personal political beliefs (i.e. global warming - look up the p-value on the relationship between carbon dioxide and temperature).
There are very few, if any, scientists who initiate a study without the intent of proving his/her particular theory.
Back on topic, if evolution is false why are so many genes homologous between a human being and a rabbit for example? Why is it that we are able to grow human recombinant proteins in e. coli bacteria?
The only requirement to disbelieve in evolution is a lack of education. Now Darwin didn't get it all exactly right. Real evolution happens a lot faster than what he estimated because cells have a lot more ability to rearrange DNA (ie spliceosome) and create different proteins, etc. Hell, we even have nucleic enzymes that can move DNA around on a chromosome.
"Back on topic, if evolution is false why are so many genes homologous between a human being and a rabbit for example? Why is it that we are able to grow human recombinant proteins in e. coli bacteria?"
The answer is that simply we are made of the same building blocks as anything else in this self sustaining ecosystem. I would be surprise if there were not genes that are homologous. In creationism, everything is made the same way, the only thing that differentiates life from non life in creationism is that God breathed life into living creatures. We agree that physically we are a creation, the same as animals, why then would there NOT be homologous genes? Such is necessary for survival on earth. Goodness, such a shallow argument! There are even millions of beneficial bacteria living in us that also provide the same benefits in animals. Nothing is different or exceptional about the physical body of man except that god breathed life into him.

“Steaming hunk”

Level 4

butler, pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You make fun, but I have given you a real example of science disproving your 'Holy' book, that is supposedly inspired by God.
We know for a fact that humans were spread ALL over the earth by 15,000 years ago. There were humans living in China, Korea, Japan, Egypt, the Indus Valley, India, Australia, all of Europe, all of Asia, and all of the Americas, both North and South.
Your own theologians put the Tower of Babel and the subsequent confusing of human languages around 2200-2000 BC.
Do you think all these millions of people already spread all over earth were grunting at each other? Or just maybe they were already speaking their own languages...after all they had been there for thousands of years and counting.
Another founding story of the Christian God gone kaput and the scientists didn't even realize it for awhile.
Which theologians date the tower of babel at 2200 - 2000 bc? No they were not "grunting" They had thier own languages. Ever really study that mummy they found in the snow a few years ago? Curious thing, they found evidence that he was a multicultural and probably multilingual trapper and trader. The story of the tower of babel is not contradicted by evidence that there were multiple languages and cultures, it provides an explanation for it.

By the way, why do we so often just assume that populations that existed eons ago were less cultured, smart or sophisticated than us? That mummy they found in the ice?, that multicultural polymath that he probably was, was infinitely more sophisticated than most modern men.

“Steaming hunk”

Level 4

butler, pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Thomas Robertson wrote:
Charles Idemi wrote:
“Of course i agree, the Catholic church then, did alot of bad things to people, but all these, does not change or invalidates the reality of God.”
So we have an all-powerful and all-loving God who either can’t or won’t establish a church better than the Christian church has done.
If God is all-powerful, why CAN'T he establish a church which would not usher in the Dark Ages?
If God is all-loving, why WON’T he establish a church which would not usher in the Dark Ages?
I would reply that a polymath churchman and scientist named Copernicus likely ushered in the age of enlightenment.

Ever hear of the polymath named Erasmus?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>You make fun, but I have given you a real example of science disproving your 'Holy' book, that is supposedly inspired by God.

I see so you're in the camp of no proof is proof.

What is this strange drug you all are on?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>Fine, you think you know your Bible better than I do?

Here is a simple challenge. Answer this multiple choice question:

In modern day English what is forbidden by the 10th commandment:

A: Cheeseburgerz.

B. Smacking your old lady around.

C. Shtuping the neighbor lady.

D. Watching Football.
"Exodus 20:17" "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that [is] thy neighbour's."

If you don't understand this I'll explain it to you. Just let me know.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"Exodus 20:17" "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that [is] thy neighbour's."
If you don't understand this I'll explain it to you. Just let me know.
Wrong on two levels. First you did not pick one of the supplied answers. It seems that you meant to pick C. You might have missed my second post where I specifically said the Commandments carved into stone.

I guess Langoliers does not know his Bible. I will see if he gets the correct answer the second time around.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, only alkies are concerned about proof. Scientists work from evidence. You obviously work from alcohol.

Level 9

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

superwilly wrote:
<quoted text>
Which theologians date the tower of babel at 2200 - 2000 bc? No they were not "grunting" They had thier own languages. Ever really study that mummy they found in the snow a few years ago? Curious thing, they found evidence that he was a multicultural and probably multilingual trapper and trader. The story of the tower of babel is not contradicted by evidence that there were multiple languages and cultures, it provides an explanation for it.
By the way, why do we so often just assume that populations that existed eons ago were less cultured, smart or sophisticated than us? That mummy they found in the ice?, that multicultural polymath that he probably was, was infinitely more sophisticated than most modern men.
Below find a link to a paper that has the clearest exposition of the Tower of Babel I have ever found.

http://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/Ted_Hildebran...

There is no doubt that the story is false....it has been proven to be so.

Level 9

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Aha!, I see you are of the 'deny it' school of creationist 'science'.

Your bible is toast dude.

Of course there is more proven wrong.

“Steaming hunk”

Level 4

butler, pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Below find a link to a paper that has the clearest exposition of the Tower of Babel I have ever found.
http://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/Ted_Hildebran...
There is no doubt that the story is false....it has been proven to be so.
Bravo! Referencing anything having to do with Westminster theological seminary is sincerely appreciated and respected by me.
The article is indeed fascinating well thought out.

Level 9

Lagrangian L2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

superwilly wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean Otzi the Iceman in the Alps?

"A group of scientists have sequenced Ötzi's full genome and the report was published on 28 February 2012. The Y-DNA of Ötzi belongs to a subclade of G defined by the SNPs M201, P287, P15, L223 and L91 (G-L91, ISOGG G2a2b, former "G2a4"). He was not typed for any of the subclades downstreaming from G-L91. G-L91 is now mostly found in South Corsica.

Analysis of his mitochondrial DNA has shown that Ötzi belongs to the K1 subclade, but cannot be categorized into any of the three modern branches of that subclade (K1a, K1b or K1c). The new subclade has provisionally been named K1ö for Ötzi.[32] Multiplex assay study was able to confirm that the Iceman's mtDNA belongs to a new European mtDNA clade with a very limited distribution amongst modern data sets.

By autosomal DNA he is most closely related to southern Europeans, particularly geographically isolated populations of Sardinia and Corsica.

DNA analysis also showed him at high risk of atherosclerosis, lactose intolerance, and the presence of the DNA sequence of Borrelia burgdorferi, making him the earliest known human with Lyme disease.

A 2012 paper by paleoanthropologist John Hawks suggests that Ötzi had a higher degree of Neanderthal ancestry than modern Europeans".

Hmmm....high degree of Neanderthal ancestry. Veeerry interesting.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

150 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 12 min Simply_Red 13,030
Add a Word, Ruin a Movie (Oct '13) 15 min Parden Pard 2,967
A six word game (Dec '08) 18 min Parden Pard 17,233
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 24 min Parden Pard 28,718
Fake book titles game (Feb '10) 29 min Parden Pard 3,972
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 32 min Parden Pard 53,961
~Things YOU Love Game~ (Oct '12) 32 min Go Blue Forever 3,798
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 37 min buck the duck 14,972
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr eleanorigby 34,951