Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 210056 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#75491 Feb 12, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know God could be outside his creations and then became his creations? Ever heard of Pandeism? I'm somewhat a Pandeist.
I believe in this claim:
"It is therefore most particularly the belief that the creator of the universe actually became the universe, and so ceased to exist as a separate and conscious entity."
but I don't agree with the concept of Deism alone:
Deism (that the creator-god who designed the universe no longer exists in a status where it can be reached, and can instead be confirmed only by reason)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandeism
Why do you believe this? is there any indication that this might be true? did it just sound cool?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#75492 Feb 12, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
So do you have a green thumb too or is that TMI?
i do quite well with plants...mainly perennial flowers, never got into veggie gardening much until recently, and that is really a learning experience.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#75493 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you believe this? is there any indication that this might be true? did it just sound cool?
Because I believe in the pantheist concept of One is all and all is one. I'm not sure maybe I'm more of a pantheist.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#75494 Feb 12, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I believe in the pantheist concept of One is all and all is one. I'm not sure maybe I'm more of a pantheist.
Again, why do you believe this. what led you to think this is the truth of the universe? some evidence suggesting it may be true? cool name? great swag from the regionsl distributor? what?

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#75495 Feb 12, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
That's like saying 42 is the answer to everything, life, and the universe. So what exactly is T0 +400,000 with no point of location.
Just two links, nothing fancy, one even has cartoonlike pictures(i'm pretty sure the ones i posted last saturday or sunday were not read. Nor the one i reposted)
And at the same time i'm reviewing and sorting out if i still got it right, in my memory.
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/11...
Lyman alpha systems and cosmolgy
http://astro.berkeley.edu/~jcohn/lya.html

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#75496 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i do quite well with plants...mainly perennial flowers, never got into veggie gardening much until recently, and that is really a learning experience.
I love iris flowers. I want to plant them in my backyard but I'll learn to do that soon. I also love sunflowers, the big ones.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#75497 Feb 12, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I believe in the pantheist concept of One is all and all is one. I'm not sure maybe I'm more of a pantheist.
Yo sure you're not a panENtheist?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#75498 Feb 12, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I love iris flowers. I want to plant them in my backyard but I'll learn to do that soon. I also love sunflowers, the big ones.
the most common mistake with the iris is planting the corm (bulb) too deep. they like as much sun as they can get and you need to divide them REGULARLY. i too like the many and varied variety of iris flowers that have evolved on our puddly little rock...

put up many bird feeders and use oilers, then you'll get sunflowers in all your gardens whether you want them or not!

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#75499 Feb 12, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo sure you're not a panENtheist?
Isn't that a shampoo?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#75500 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Again, why do you believe this. what led you to think this is the truth of the universe? some evidence suggesting it may be true? cool name? great swag from the regionsl distributor? what?
Because the concept makes sense to me. I thought that if God created everything then He is everything. If you study the laws of nature you would understand the patterns used in all creations. From DNA, to the Fibonacci sequence and golden mean or phi in plants and animals to the spiral galaxies in the universe.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#75501 Feb 12, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know God could be outside his creations and then became his creations? Ever heard of Pandeism? I'm somewhat a Pandeist.
I believe in this claim:
"It is therefore most particularly the belief that the creator of the universe actually became the universe, and so ceased to exist as a separate and conscious entity."
but I don't agree with the concept of Deism alone:
Deism (that the creator-god who designed the universe no longer exists in a status where it can be reached, and can instead be confirmed only by reason)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandeism
Not to be confused with Pantheism.
Part of a series on
God
General conceptions
Agnosticism · Apatheism · Atheism
Deism · Henotheism · Ignosticism
Monotheism · Panentheism
Pantheism · Polytheism · Theism · Transtheism
Specific conceptions
Creator · Demiurge · Devil · Father
Great Architect · Monad · Mother
Supreme Being · Sustainer · The All
The Lord · Trinity · Tawhid · Ditheism
Monism · Personal · Unitarianism

In particular religions
Abrahamic (Bahá'í· Christianity
Islam · Judaism)· Ayyavazhi
Buddhism · Hinduism · Jainism
Sikhism · Zoroastrianism
Attributes
Eternalness · Existence · Gender
Names ("God")· Omnibenevolence
Omnipotence · Omnipresence
Omniscience
Experiences and practices
Belief · Esotericism · Faith
Fideism · Gnosis · Hermeticism
Metaphysics · Mysticism
Prayer · Revelation · Worship
Related topics
Euthyphro dilemma · God complex
Neurotheology · Ontology
Philosophy · Problem of evil
Religion · Religious texts
Portrayals of God in popular media
v · t · e
Panentheism (from Greek &#960;&#8118;&#957 ; (pân) "all"; &#7952;&#957; (en) "in"; and &#952;&#949;&#972; &#962; (theós) "God"; "all-in-God") is a belief system which posits that the divine (be it a monotheistic God, polytheistic gods, or an eternal cosmic animating force), interpenetrates every part of nature and timelessly extends beyond it. Panentheism differentiates itself from pantheism, which holds that the divine is synonymous with the universe.[1]

In panentheism, the universe in the first formulation is practically the whole itself. In the second formulation, the universe and the divine are not ontologically equivalent. In panentheism, God is viewed as the eternal animating force behind the universe. Some versions suggest that the universe is nothing more than the manifest part of God. In some forms of panentheism, the cosmos exists within God, who in turn "transcends", "pervades" or is "in" the cosmos. While pantheism asserts that 'All is God', panentheism goes further to claim that God is greater than the universe. In addition, some forms indicate that the universe is contained within God,[1] like in the concept of Tzimtzum. Much Hindu thought is highly characterized by panentheism and pantheism.[2][3] Hasidic Judaism merges the elite ideal of nullification to paradoxical transcendent Divine Panentheism, through intellectual articulation of inner dimensions of Kabbalah, with the populist emphasis on the panentheistic Divine immanence in everything and deeds of kindness.

---
The latter would suggest that one would have some influence through acts of kindness/healing...that would be the deity part.
Not that by looking trough the hole in the CMBR we would suddenly find a pair of eyes staring back..

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#75502 Feb 12, 2013
oops forgot to delete.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#75503 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the most common mistake with the iris is planting the corm (bulb) too deep. they like as much sun as they can get and you need to divide them REGULARLY. i too like the many and varied variety of iris flowers that have evolved on our puddly little rock...
put up many bird feeders and use oilers, then you'll get sunflowers in all your gardens whether you want them or not!
I was thinking of getting dove birds so that's a good thing with sunflowers then. But I really prefer the giant sunflowers than the wild ones. The iris will get a lot of sun from where I live.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#75504 Feb 12, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the concept makes sense to me. I thought that if God created everything then He is everything. If you study the laws of nature you would understand the patterns used in all creations. From DNA, to the Fibonacci sequence and golden mean or phi in plants and animals to the spiral galaxies in the universe.
not all galaxies are spirals. not all life follows the same patterns..

What led you to the god created everything part to begin with.

why even take up that basic premise?

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#75505 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i do quite well with plants...mainly perennial flowers, never got into veggie gardening much until recently, and that is really a learning experience.
I still have loads of bulbs but no garden, so now it's about the art of getting them to grow in pots. How?
I gave my ast tree away to the church. Some disease ate the trees and they are the only ones having the place and that take in pathetic orphant democrats. In the summer i'm going to check up if they took care of it.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#75506 Feb 12, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Just two links, nothing fancy, one even has cartoonlike pictures(i'm pretty sure the ones i posted last saturday or sunday were not read. Nor the one i reposted)
And at the same time i'm reviewing and sorting out if i still got it right, in my memory.
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/11...
Lyman alpha systems and cosmolgy
http://astro.berkeley.edu/~jcohn/lya.html
what about the big bang? How does it explain T0 +400,000?

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#75507 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i do quite well with plants...mainly perennial flowers, never got into veggie gardening much until recently, and that is really a learning experience.
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i do quite well with plants...mainly perennial flowers, never got into veggie gardening much until recently, and that is really a learning experience.
I still have loads of bulbs but no garden, so now it's about the art of getting them to grow in pots. How?
I gave my last tree away to the church. Some disease ate their trees and they are the only ones having the place and that take in pathetic orphant democrats. In the summer i'm going to check up if they took care of it.

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#75508 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the most common mistake with the iris is planting the corm (bulb) too deep. they like as much sun as they can get and you need to divide them REGULARLY. i too like the many and varied variety of iris flowers that have evolved on our puddly little rock...
put up many bird feeders and use oilers, then you'll get sunflowers in all your gardens whether you want them or not!
How is a hockey-team going to work?
I can't find a sensible link to 'oilers'...no clue

““You must not lose faith ”

Level 5

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#75509 Feb 12, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
what about the big bang? How does it explain T0 +400,000?
It's about the hydrogen nuclotide process. That would be the keyword.

Otherwise google hydrogen cosmology

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#75510 Feb 12, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>not all galaxies are spirals. not all life follows the same patterns..
What led you to the god created everything part to begin with.
why even take up that basic premise?
So everything that exists are just random things that existed by chance?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 15 min Laughing and laug... 61,631
News 1 Injured In North Minneapolis Shooting 18 min Knock off purse s... 5
News Most people text their ex when drunk - this gir... 22 min Knock off purse s... 13
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 27 min Hatti_Hollerand 20,605
Who won the Presidential debate 2016 ? 29 min Knock off purse s... 147
News Matthew Muller pleads guilty in bizarre Vallejo... 33 min Knock off purse s... 4
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 43 min Hatti_Hollerand 14,544
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr SweLL GirL 201,194
What Turns You Off (Jun '11) 1 hr Spirit67_ 9,165
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 2 hr Crystal_Clear722 8,998
More from around the web