Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Jan 6, 2011, Best of New Orleans story titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73726 Feb 4, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
"I find it as difficult to understand a scientist who does not acknowledge the presence of a superior rationality behind the existence of the universe as it is to comprehend a theologian who would deny the advances of science."
-Wernher Von Braun
--German-American rocket scientist
That's nice. Now explain how that helps in predicting the positions of astronomical phenomena.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to achieve here, especially since I've never ever argued a positive case for atheism from the start. It's only the fundies who like to caricature me that way.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73727 Feb 4, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> No valid explanation to date.
When you have one let me know.
I did. You've never addressed it. Once you're capable let me know.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73728 Feb 4, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>So, which one is evolving into humans?
It was already explained to you. Humans being an outcome of evolution has already happened. It is highly unlikely any other species will evolve into the same thing.

Not really sure why I'm bothering trying to explain this to you, it's kinda like trying to explain rocket science to a gerbil.
Charles Idemi wrote:
Alpha and Omega stands for the beginning and the end, it is English!
Next?
It's Greek. The Greeks own it. They said it first!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#73729 Feb 4, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. You know what it was, but all the other creationists can't agree. Which is exactly my point.

Nothing more surer than a fundie who knows more than everyone else does about their religions.
At least you had a point.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73730 Feb 4, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
So did Newton with his Law of Gravity and his mysticism. So did Galileo who was a devout Catholic and known to be the Father of Science. So did Georges Lemaitre, a Catholic priest who proposed the Big Bang Theory, etc. The point is even Scientists believe in a God.
Not a point I've argued against. In fact I've pointed that out numerous times when calling fundies out on their mistakes.

Evolution is not atheism. Science is not atheism. Not even science fundies disagree with for religious reasons.

The theological beef is theirs, not mine.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#73731 Feb 4, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Because he is your science God that started the bad science movement.
in fact, another English scientist came up with the same theory working independently in China. when the facts there for all to see, the conclusion is inevitable...

facts and science are fun!
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73733 Feb 4, 2013
Knightmare wrote:
http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombie s.htm
See, vampires, werewolves and zombies DO exist....
Even the cdc are preparing us....
Oh hey there Dr Neville.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73734 Feb 4, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Because he is your science God that started the bad science movement.
Uhuh. Knowledge bad, ignorance good - the fundie mindset.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#73735 Feb 4, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a point I've argued against. In fact I've pointed that out numerous times when calling fundies out on their mistakes.
Evolution is not atheism. Science is not atheism. Not even science fundies disagree with for religious reasons.
The theological beef is theirs, not mine.
"Theological beef"? It's probably 95% of fat and gristle and only tastes good if you r-e-a-l-l-y believe!

Location hidden

#73736 Feb 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>in fact, another English scientist came up with the same theory working independently in China. when the facts there for all to see, the conclusion is inevitable...

facts and science are fun!
You've been gone for awhile. Welcome back.

St. Croix valley

#73737 Feb 4, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You've been gone for awhile. Welcome back.
Thanx...still pretty much the same ol same ol on this page, huh?

St. Croix valley

#73738 Feb 4, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>"Theological beef"? It's probably 95% of fat and gristle and only tastes good if you r-e-a-l-l-y believe!
Actually, theology is an amazing science.

studying how people will try to rationalize what they know to be a lie is fascinating. even when they can be shown openly that they were lied to, they will try for years to try and twist the lie to support their cult's beliefs....

it's way better than watching rats runa maze, and they can almost feed themslelves....

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#73739 Feb 4, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
His answer was clear. We would not expect another animal to evolve into humans all over again. The particulars of environment and the mutations that happened to occur at the times they did will not be precisely replicated again. All creatures evolve, but there is no goal directed at producing us. Even if advanced intelligent life on earth evolves again, it would almost certainly be some different sort of intelligent creature.
This is a deformed explanation. Why are they no longer changing to human forms?

St. Croix valley

#73740 Feb 4, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>This is a deformed explanation. Why are they no longer changing to human forms?
Why are WHO not changing into human forms? other proto-humans? your question shows you don't even understand the way evolution works....

there have been several hominid species. you actually have the DNA of Neandertals, another species, in you.

Location hidden

#73741 Feb 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Thanx...still pretty much the same ol same ol on this page, huh?
Yup.

You remember the sheepdog and coyote cartoons with the time clock?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#73742 Feb 4, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>This is a deformed explanation. Why are they no longer changing to human forms?
For one, because the term "human" already applies to a specific species.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#73743 Feb 4, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever heard of google?
Don't worry.
It only hurts for a lifetime.
Ofcourse. And many other sites including Wikipedia and others.
Show me your evidence.

St. Croix valley

#73744 Feb 4, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup.
You remember the sheepdog and coyote cartoons with the time clock?
"Mornin' Fred."

'Mornin' Ralph"

favorite of mine....

You are correct, the religious believers are continually failing in hairbrained attempts to prove thier beliefs...they are much like the wolf/coyote in that cartoon.

Location hidden

#73745 Feb 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>"Mornin' Fred."

'Mornin' Ralph"

favorite of mine....

You are correct, the religious believers are continually failing in hairbrained attempts to prove thier beliefs...they are much like the wolf/coyote in that cartoon.
Yup.

Morning Woodtick. Lol
Wonderingme

Apopka, FL

#73746 Feb 4, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG. My missing car!
What 24 year old can afford a 2008 Lambo! Non profit? I think not!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 1 min beatlesinafog 140,126
hoosier hillbilly (Sep '12) 2 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1,758
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 3 min Trapper John MD 8,352
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 4 min ROTFLMAO 5,494
motorcycle traveling stories 5 min Trapper John MD 567
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 5 min Papa Smurfaletto 56,590
News Michael Jackson went to great lengths for stran... 6 min goodvibrations 10
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 41 min Friday Naples Shakin 161,492
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 2 hr -ThatsAllFolks- 28,869
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 5 hr wichita-rick 1,482
More from around the web