Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Level 7

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

#73711 Feb 4, 2013
http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies.htm

See, vampires, werewolves and zombies DO exist....

Even the cdc are preparing us....

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Level 7

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

#73712 Feb 4, 2013
http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011...

There are all kinds of emergencies out there that we can prepare for. Take a zombie apocalypse for example. Thatís right, I said z-o-m-b-i-e a-p-o-c-a-l-y-p-s-e. You may laugh now, but when it happens youíll be happy you read this, and hey, maybe youíll even learn a thing or two about how to prepare for a real emergency.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#73713 Feb 4, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"true science is repeatable"
As in the Big Bang?
Spontaneous life?
The "Big Bang" is a mathematical theory, so yes, it is reproduced in computer models all the time, but it's also losing ground. It will likely become part of a better theory, eventually.

"Spontaneous life" ... if you knew how chemicals react you'd realize how silly that is. It's not spontaneous at all, just no intelligent guidance required.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#73715 Feb 4, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"true science is repeatable"
As in the Big Bang?
Spontaneous life?
On a small scale the Big Bang is repeatable, or at least parts of it are. Check out the Casimir effect.

I assume you mean abiogenesis and yes, even that may be repeatable. It is being worked on right now in the laboratory. We do not have the same luxury of time so to reproduce some effects "cheating" must be done. Of course there are very strong rules about how you can "cheat".

But given a virgin planet under the right conditions abiogenesis should be repeatable.

Here is a question for you: Do you understand why it is a one time event for any planet?

Location hidden

#73716 Feb 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>The "Big Bang" is a mathematical theory, so yes, it is reproduced in computer models all the time, but it's also losing ground. It will likely become part of a better theory, eventually.

"Spontaneous life" ... if you knew how chemicals react you'd realize how silly that is. It's not spontaneous at all, just no intelligent guidance required.
"The "Big Bang" is a mathematical theory"

Wrong

Wikipedia:
"The Big Bang is a well-tested scientific theory and is widely accepted within the scientific community"

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#73717 Feb 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are projecting. Those of us with scientific understanding see beauty in things you do not even know about or comprehend. The atomic structures, how things interact, is a very beautiful thing. Quantum mechanics is one of the most gorgeous theories on the planet, even if I don't understand it all. Evolutionary biology is poetic beyond even what Shakespeare could have imagined. Biochemistry is something that sings to you, when you understand it, and the song is something that even our greatest composers cannot hold candles to. You see science as "evil" and "vile" because it requires actual work.
As Dawkins said, there is more beauty in the world that can only been seen with the eyes of science. Paraphrased.
Where in post I said I see Science as vile and evil? I accept Science as fact. But I also think there is a God. I know more about Science than you think I do. What I'm referring to as evil and vile are the people in this forum who resort to ad hominems, personal attacks, even questioning my knowledge and education. I have no respect for those people. They disgust me. It's why I don't like to be in these forums anymore, too much trash talking. See ya!

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#73718 Feb 4, 2013
A bit off-topic, but something's fishy with this:

"Lamborghini crash kills Kissimmee woman, Winter Haven man.

Tiffany Beene was treasurer of a Christian non-profit."

(Yes...Tiffany owned the Lamborghini)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/bre...

Apparently there's good money in Christian non-profits.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#73719 Feb 4, 2013
Crap! The Avatar was one of the few people in here I actually enjoy talking to. Oh well. Back to trash talking the atheists.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#73720 Feb 4, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
Yeah, saw that this morning. Not far from where I live. She was the company treasurer. Hmmm...

Not much left of the Lamborghini.

Location hidden

#73721 Feb 4, 2013
Kong_ wrote:

OMG. My missing car!

Location hidden

#73722 Feb 4, 2013
Benjamin Frankly wrote:
Heres a quick thought why do creationist like to quote Darwin surely now his words are mostly irrelevant let me explain. Why would you quote an evolutionary biologist so bad he didn’t even know of the existence of genes? The points Darwin made that survived have been put better or added to by leaps and bounds, so why pick the worst of our lot?
Because he is your science God that started the bad science movement.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73723 Feb 4, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what star it was.
You're the lost one.
Exactly. You know what it was, but all the other creationists can't agree. Which is exactly my point.

Nothing more surer than a fundie who knows more than everyone else does about their religions.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73724 Feb 4, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I've got a revelation for you.
"The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wondrous universe, with our conscious selves, arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for &#8232;the existence of God."
- Charles Darwin
Did you Darwinist evolutionists know that he held a degree in Theology?
http://withalliamgod.wordpress.com/2010/11/29...
stop lying
I was in fact aware of that. He was also into geology too. It still has no bearing on the scientific validity of evolution.
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
"Science is...a powerful way, indeed - to study the natural world. Science is not particularly effective...in making commentary about the supernatural world. Both worlds, for me, are quite real and quite important. They are investigated in different ways. They coexist. They illuminate each other."
-Francis Collins
--American physician-geneticist and director of the National Human Genome Research Institute
Yup. And an evolutionary biologist through and through. The clue being noted in his (now former) position as head of the Human Genome Project. Despite his occasional forays into apologetics he's not a great fan of the anti-science creationist movement.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73725 Feb 4, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>Beginning and end is English. Understand that!
I do. Alpha and Omega is Greek. Understand that!

http://livesol.com/~newwzoo/wp-content/upload...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73726 Feb 4, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
"I find it as difficult to understand a scientist who does not acknowledge the presence of a superior rationality behind the existence of the universe as it is to comprehend a theologian who would deny the advances of science."
-Wernher Von Braun
--German-American rocket scientist
That's nice. Now explain how that helps in predicting the positions of astronomical phenomena.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to achieve here, especially since I've never ever argued a positive case for atheism from the start. It's only the fundies who like to caricature me that way.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73727 Feb 4, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> No valid explanation to date.
When you have one let me know.
I did. You've never addressed it. Once you're capable let me know.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73728 Feb 4, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>So, which one is evolving into humans?
It was already explained to you. Humans being an outcome of evolution has already happened. It is highly unlikely any other species will evolve into the same thing.

Not really sure why I'm bothering trying to explain this to you, it's kinda like trying to explain rocket science to a gerbil.
Charles Idemi wrote:
Alpha and Omega stands for the beginning and the end, it is English!
Next?
It's Greek. The Greeks own it. They said it first!

Location hidden

#73729 Feb 4, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. You know what it was, but all the other creationists can't agree. Which is exactly my point.

Nothing more surer than a fundie who knows more than everyone else does about their religions.
At least you had a point.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73730 Feb 4, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
So did Newton with his Law of Gravity and his mysticism. So did Galileo who was a devout Catholic and known to be the Father of Science. So did Georges Lemaitre, a Catholic priest who proposed the Big Bang Theory, etc. The point is even Scientists believe in a God.
Not a point I've argued against. In fact I've pointed that out numerous times when calling fundies out on their mistakes.

Evolution is not atheism. Science is not atheism. Not even science fundies disagree with for religious reasons.

The theological beef is theirs, not mine.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#73731 Feb 4, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Because he is your science God that started the bad science movement.
in fact, another English scientist came up with the same theory working independently in China. when the facts there for all to see, the conclusion is inevitable...

facts and science are fun!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 2 min Bree_Z 3,007
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 5 min Hoosier Hillbilly 30,372
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 9 min Bree_Z 310
EPA Presses for Smoke-free Fires 9 min Hoosier Hillbilly 5
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 10 min beatlesinafog 4,033
hoosier hillbilly (Sep '12) 14 min Harrison Freebird 1,561
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 17 min beatlesinafog 7,617
7 Teens Come Home Pregnant From School Trip 19 min DILF 74
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 21 min beatlesinafog 30,061
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 52 min Bree_Z 1,128
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 4 hr _hellbilly_ 152,773
More from around the web