Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 3,450)

Showing posts 68,981 - 69,000 of105,982
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
Too Much Testosterone Lowers Intelligence
http://www.altpenis.com/news/20060828003237da...
Man, somebody should really show this to Buck.

Level 2

Since: Mar 09

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You can ask Ray, the author.
http://edge.org/memberbio/ray_kurzweil
Only less than 1 gig of info can be stored encoded in human genome. But because of redundancies in DNA, actual information content is less.
But accdg to Ray, the brain can store more info than that! trillions...compared to 6 billion bits.
"I come up with thousands of trillions of bytes of information to characterize what's in a brain, which is millions of times greater than what is in the genome."
How does the size of a KNOWN, finite entity- DNA- have anything to do with a growing organ? Apples and oranges...red herring...straw man...all of these...that's like saying how can my software program of 500kb create files which are Megabytes in size...or like saying how can one little sperm and egg with 1 million, discrete but-soon to-die-off cells create something that replaces some 6 billion cells every day? Your conflating the two...tsk tsk...your brain doesn't harness DNA to store it's information...the DNA provides the PLANS to BUILD the PARTS that do the "data housing"...same as when I design something on my computer...I may create a CAD file that is say 5MB...but it may be for a comuter memeory component that can store 5 terabytes...stop conflating the two, they are COMLPETELY different monsters...I mean one cell has DNA(your millions of bits) and we lose millions everyday...your math is bad, your science is bad, your theory has failed and Ray whoever is an idiot...tell him I said so...

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>I find it funny that you find it funny that you think he's pinning rules on God, while you pin your rules on God all the time.(shrug)
What are my rules that I put on God?
Or is this just dribble from a pissed off atheist?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Only because you bury your head in the sand. Evidence of a world wide flood is world wide. From the claims on top of Everest to the Grand Canyon where the Colorado river would have had to flow up hill to create it.
Geez, Lango, not that dumb argument! It doesn't have to flow uphill if the plate below it rises. Which it did over millions of years.

Your global flood not only kills all life (Noah's boat included) worldwide in multiple different ways, it's simply not reflected in the geological record. Your boys even sent out geologists back in the eighties with the specific mandate of finding evidence of the global flood. They soon put a stop to that. Because when they got back they told their bosses exactly what they didn't wanna hear.

But again, why the heck are you pretending about evidence when your position is Jewish wizardry?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Only less than 1 gig of info can be stored encoded in human genome. But because of redundancies in DNA, actual information content is less.
Uh-oh! Don't tell the fundies that one, they might have you crucified.

:-O
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
Even some fundiots say you're wrong...
http://www.oldearth.org/grandcanyon.htm
Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxx ttttttt, please...
Yup. The ONLY reason the river would have to flow UP-hill would be is if the Earth was only 6,000 years old. But since science refutes YECism it's dishonest of them to make that claim. Yet again creo's break the 9th Commandment.

Then bozos like Lango repeat the argument without even understanding it.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if I bump in to Ray, I'll have to ask. Ray's a bright guy but not always correct. I'd like to know how the 'less than 1 gig' figure came from in a genome with about 3.2 billion base pairs. Especially when DNA would seem to be comparable to a quaternary number system rather than binary.
I think he's right. As I found the same info from another source. Although I think he meant bits instead of bytes when he said he found trillions bytes of information that characterize the brain. That's super-duper large! lol

"The human genome has around 3 billion base pairs, each of which stores two bits (to indicate one of four bases). That's 6 billion bits, or about 3/4 of a gigabyte."
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if I bump in to Ray, I'll have to ask. Ray's a bright guy but not always correct. I'd like to know how the 'less than 1 gig' figure came from in a genome with about 3.2 billion base pairs. Especially when DNA would seem to be comparable to a quaternary number system rather than binary.
Yeah, not sure how computer gigabytes would translate when comparing biological DNA bases. Maybe this'd help?

http://www.matisse.net/bitcalc/

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, somebody should really show this to Buck.
LOL. Washington's on a Buck.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
What are my rules that I put on God?
Or is this just dribble from a pissed off atheist?
Pished off? Boy, you misunderstand me Lango. Fundies provide mirth.

And what atheist are you referring to?

The rules, my dear Lango, that you place on God are those where it MUST line up with your particular ideas about God, which mostly have their roots in a semi-literalistic reading of the Bible.

In short, just because you claim God MUST have created Adam and Eve 6,000 years ago, God itself is not necessarily limited to your little old book written by a bunch of ancient ignorant superstitious goat-herders.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>What gravity? How can there be gravity before the universe developed mass? And remind me again why you're attempting to lecture me about the laws of physics when your position involves magical wizards?
"It is difficult enough to imagine a time, roughly 13.7 billion years ago, when the entire universe existed as a singularity. According to the big bang theory, one of the main contenders vying to explain how the universe came to be, all the matter in the cosmos -- all of space itself -- existed in a form smaller than a subatomic particle."

That gravity! The gravity of the entire universe.

Level 2

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
But accdg to Ray, the brain can store more info than that! trillions...compared to 6 billion bits.
"I come up with thousands of trillions of bytes of information to characterize what's in a brain, which is millions of times greater than what is in the genome."
WHOA...had I not been so quick I'd have actually scolded YOU as the idiot...

Here is a nice discussion...http://news.ycomb inator.com/item?id=1611007

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>We've been laughing at fundiots for a LONG time, junior...try unpluggin your ears and opening your eyes...the spittle has been flying over your head for YEARS...

Deflection will get you know where...
I'll be laughing at you for a lot longer.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
How does the size of a KNOWN, finite entity- DNA- have anything to do with a growing organ? Apples and oranges...red herring...straw man...all of these...that's like saying how can my software program of 500kb create files which are Megabytes in size...or like saying how can one little sperm and egg with 1 million, discrete but-soon to-die-off cells create something that replaces some 6 billion cells every day? Your conflating the two...tsk tsk...your brain doesn't harness DNA to store it's information...the DNA provides the PLANS to BUILD the PARTS that do the "data housing"...same as when I design something on my computer...I may create a CAD file that is say 5MB...but it may be for a comuter memeory component that can store 5 terabytes...stop conflating the two, they are COMLPETELY different monsters...I mean one cell has DNA(your millions of bits) and we lose millions everyday...your math is bad, your science is bad, your theory has failed and Ray whoever is an idiot...tell him I said so...
And you're right? CAD is a different monster than say AI machine or robot. CAD is just 2-dimensional. lol

Ray has a point when comparing his apples to oranges. Why because it can shed light to how much computer data is needed to simulate someone with a half-brain.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>If necessary. Not that it matters to fundies. They ask for the science, they get the science, then they say the science is still wrong.

They just can't say why.
Then when you ask a question do not get upset if we quote our web sites.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
WHOA...had I not been so quick I'd have actually scolded YOU as the idiot...
Here is a nice discussion...http://news.ycomb inator.com/item?id=1611007
And you are the blithering one.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

The American alligators are numerous and live among human inhabitation. Most states have strict laws against killing gators without a license or without cause. You should check your state laws before killing an alligator.

http://howtokillthings.com/how-to-kill-alliga...

Level 2

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think they're specifically talking about fission of uranium.
How Nuclear Fusion Reactors Work
Fusion reactors have been getting a lot of press recently because they offer some major advantages over other power sources. They will use abundant sources of fuel, they will not leak radiation above normal background levels and they will produce less radioactive waste than current fission reactors.
Fusion reactors are now in experimental stages at several laboratories in the United States and around the world.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/fusion-react...
So technically, nuclear fusion is possible.
No $shit...that's how stars give off light...Langoliers is the moron who claimed that they create energy in the same manner...DEAD WRONG...CURRENT VIABLE nuclear reactors-> FISSION...stars->FUSION...d o you not remember the COLD FUSION hoax many years back...cold fusion is the holy grail of energy...he whom can master cold fusion will own the world...currently all of the labs have been UNABLE to create a viable FUSION reaction that generates MORE energy output than the input required...until this is done, we will use fission reactors...I am hopeful, as an engineer, we will meet the challenge someday...but the point is the Lango simply got it DEAD WRONG...period!

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
No $shit...that's how stars give off light...Langoliers is the moron who claimed that they create energy in the same manner...DEAD WRONG...CURRENT VIABLE nuclear reactors-> FISSION...stars->FUSION...d o you not remember the COLD FUSION hoax many years back...cold fusion is the holy grail of energy...he whom can master cold fusion will own the world...currently all of the labs have been UNABLE to create a viable FUSION reaction that generates MORE energy output than the input required...until this is done, we will use fission reactors...I am hopeful, as an engineer, we will meet the challenge someday...but the point is the Lango simply got it DEAD WRONG...period!
The idea was that fusion or fission is a product of some intelligence. Just like how intelligence of Engineers are needed to create a blueprint for their work by using CorelDraw, AutoCAD, etc.

But okay, you were arguing about something and missing the point.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
He does find a way to communicate though.
So how do you know the stars are intelligent?
Well, they don't half make beautiful art: http://www.google.com/imgres...

Beta Lyrae, AKA Sheliak.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 68,981 - 69,000 of105,982
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

118 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
clark county nevada rancher facing tyranny from... 6 min eleanorigby 264
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 8 min Bezeer 4,355
Spontaneous Impulse (Oct '13) 10 min wichita-rick 918
What else are you doing while posting on this f... 12 min wichita-rick 772
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 16 min Pru 558
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 18 min Independent 2,619
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 20 min wichita-rick 131,639
Lets Ask Billy R! (May '12) 24 min Enzo49 2,249
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr Independent 11,642