Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#73316 Jan 31, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Why yes - a misquoter is anyone who takes vague or ambiguous Biblical scripture and disagrees with Charlie's particular interpretation.
:-p
This is true and a common trait among godbots
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73317 Jan 31, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"It is difficult enough to imagine a time, roughly 13.7 billion years ago, when the entire universe existed as a singularity. According to the big bang theory, one of the main contenders vying to explain how the universe came to be, all the matter in the cosmos -- all of space itself -- existed in a form smaller than a subatomic particle."
That gravity! The gravity of the entire universe.
There was no mass until possibly up to 300,000 years from initial expansion when the first atoms formed. So I ask again, why are you pretending to talk about scientific evidence when your position is invisible Jewish magic anyway?

Level 6

#73318 Jan 31, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Too Much Testosterone Lowers Intelligence
http://www.altpenis.com/news/20060828003237da...
This we know, however also know that such muscle bound ego-testical (correct wording) fools can be useful occasionally
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73319 Jan 31, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll be laughing at you for a lot longer.
Ah yes, you will be laughing at all the infidels being tortured in hell forever.

That's nice.

:-)
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Then when you ask a question do not get upset if we quote our web sites.
I don't. As it only demonstrates you're not capable of dealing with science.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73320 Jan 31, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
But you miss the point. It's 13.3 billion "LIGHT YEARS" away. The expansion of the universe is said to be speeding up and yet today it's still noway near the speed of light.

D O Y O U U N D E R S T A N D ?
Yes. You don't:

blogs.discovermagazine.com/.../the-universe-i...
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
So? That pretty far off topic.
Not really. When you start referencing scientists to support you even though they quite explicitly do not, it's a sure sign of creationist hypocrisy.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73321 Jan 31, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
So?
So it means you lied. Again.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#73322 Jan 31, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Before we become extinct, our species will first go through a transition to the next age. It's becoming apparent with all the technology we have. Here's what I think. The first book ever published or printed was the bible. And I'm under the assumption that these inner circle, who influenced the writing of the bible, knew the power of language. Ever heard of Bibliomancy? They were careful of what they had to print. So they provided moral teachings on the level that people would understand and follow but on a deeper level, there are other meanings attached to the scriptures. They knew this power would affect the lives of people. It was sort of a moral responsibility, if that was God's intention.
But now we're in the information age, we have the internet replacing newspapers, magazines and books. We don't have to let just one ancient book affect our lives. There are tons of information out there fact or fiction. We can learn about ancient wisdom, secret knowledge, gnosticism, from other sources. Whatever means of information one has access to, it will affect one's life the same manner the first book ever printed provided to the people in the old times. People should have the freedom to read and acquire knowledge whatever pleases them any way they want. Whatever rocks your boat. lol
We can go through the motions and learn nothing. What we have is universal capitalism that compels governments to accumulate wealth into the hands of the few, making conflicts inevitable to drive the military-industrial complex. The Bible just gets re-interpreted for pre-war, war and post-war conditions.

All these "ages" that people keep inventing are nothing significant. Until we exhaust the global supply of fossil fuels, this is just an extension of the industrial age. When people have to limit their populations and accept the finite renewability of resources, then you'll see the beginnings of a "new age".
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73323 Jan 31, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Everybody knows MATH is the universal language. Don't engineers know that?
And I do my own Math to explain things and events. Something people don't teach in universities. But I find it useful because it helps me understand why things happen at a certain time, certain place, certain situations, certain influences, etc. There is no such thing as random or coincidence.
Coincidence is a subjective term. But random? Yeah, random factors certainly exist. And math can address that too.

Level 6

#73324 Jan 31, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"It is difficult enough to imagine a time, roughly 13.7 billion years ago, when the entire universe existed as a singularity. According to the big bang theory, one of the main contenders vying to explain how the universe came to be, all the matter in the cosmos -- all of space itself -- existed in a form smaller than a subatomic particle."
That gravity! The gravity of the entire universe.
I have watched this conversation regarding the start of the universe for a while now, I first got interested when you made it clear that you implied that the farthest observable galaxies were 13.3 billion light years away. And you implied that the universe can not expand faster than light. Both wrong and it shows your complete misunderstanding of the universe.

Now regarding gravity, I (nor anyone else) is here to educate you, that is up to you (if you think it worthwhile) but I will tell you that it did not work that way. Matter did not exist therefore no gravity.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#73326 Jan 31, 2013
Cybele wrote:
There is no such thing as random or coincidence.
?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#73327 Jan 31, 2013
alan wrote:
<quoted text>Gater is asking some questions that require knowledge and experience. Here, let me enlighten him. The most intelligent human compared to Advanced Alien Beings..........From our experiences we concluded that the human spices will become extinct before its full potential will be attained. AABs are lightyears ahead. Coming from a Galaxy near you.
The girasas might have something to say about that.

Level 2

Since: Mar 09

Statesville, NC

#73328 Jan 31, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You're still missing the point. I know 8 bits = 1 byte, and whatever how many bits equal one gigabyte. I don't care. But I get the point unlike you. Can you do the actual math yourself? I doubt it.
wrong , as usual....the POINT is that you think Kurzweil math is bad...it isn't...his ASSERTION I quibble with...that is that we mrely need to map the brain, develop a machine which, which sufficient memory, can bu utilized as a brain...I don't...human runtime environments(like emotions, sickness, fatigue) can rarely be simulated, if EVER...

Now for the math(since you obviously can't do it...)

1byte=8 bits(by standard, accepted, definition)
1 Kilobyte(KB)=2^10: that's 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2=1,024bytes
1MB(MB)=1024KB=(2^10) x (2^10)...using the RULES OF EXPONENTS we can simply ADD the exponents of like units(the 2's actually being 2^1) would yield 2^20=1,048,576bytes
1GB=1,024MB=2^10 x 2^10 x 2^10(invoke the RULES OF EXPONENTS again) we get 2^30=1,073,741,824
...and so on and so on...pretty simpple, actually...

If you're asking how JUrzweil did HIS math, I'd guess he used the number of nueral cells in the brain...wiki says this about that number, which you'll note isn't a FINITE, single integer, but a RANGE...
The human brain has a huge number of synapses. Each of the 1011 (one hundred billion) neurons has on average 7,000 synaptic connections to other neurons. It has been estimated that the brain of a three-year-old child has about 1015 synapses (1 quadrillion). This number declines with age, stabilizing by adulthood. Estimates vary for an adult, ranging from 1014 to 5 x 1014 synapses (100 to 500 trillion).[12]

So the math flows from there...but again, this is irrelevant...we already have the capacity to 'simulate' brain power, but it is my opinion that we will never be able to DUPLICATE the human brains ability to deliver subtle, nuanced attributes which some would call emotions...moreover, Kurzweil is a salesman...but, if you think the 'singularity' is something in the future, I beg to differ.

Now where do I send my consultation invoice.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#73330 Jan 31, 2013
Zackly wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever heard the song "I GO WALKING IN MY SLEEP" by Billy Joell I think his name is?
I'm not sure if Tinka walks in her sleep in English or in German.

Level 2

Statesville, NC

#73331 Jan 31, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Everybody knows MATH is the universal language. Don't engineers know that?
And I do my own Math to explain things and events. Something people don't teach in universities. But I find it useful because it helps me understand why things happen at a certain time, certain place, certain situations, certain influences, etc. There is no such thing as random or coincidence.
Hilarious...um, we've INVENTED math in ALL of its branches, for certain purposes...your naive- dare I say pseudo-intellectual- use of the word math betrays your ignorance...their are MANY fields of mathematics used for different purposes...likely you only know algebra, which is not to say you are COMPETENT in the field...perhaps some Euclidian geomtery, maybe some trignometrics...I highly doubt your calculus(Integral or differential) is lacking and certainly things like topography, Mandelbrot sequences/patterns and higher math concepts have evaded your genius...perhaps like Newton and Liebniz, you developed a new branch of math simultaneously with the other great math minds of humanity, but considering you failed- by your own admission- to even do basic long multiplication, the PROBABILITY is highly unlike...say 1EX10^15!(that's a factorial sign)...good luck to you...pseudo-intellectualism is a disease, I suggest you go to school to be cured, and quit toiling away in your own (non-existent)world...or publish a paper...may I put you on the list of morons who do their "own thing" because they don't trust sciencey stuff?!?!

Level 2

Statesville, NC

#73332 Jan 31, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. I've given up on religion a long time ago. I don't follow any scriptures or anything. All that book is a bunch of hidden meanings and predictions that only the elites understand. But I'm not going to waste my precious time on the bible alone. I know enough to understand this much.
And your self-proclaimed world isn't made up by YOU alone?!?! You have admitted using "...your ownmath..." etc etc...Do you actually believe you have some special insight into the mechanics of the space-time continuum? Do you hear yourself...you're delusional...certifiable?!? You're not one of the "elites" in this universe, sorry to tell you...you're a giant, complex chemical reaction...get used to it...and that reaction will cease some day...your electrical potential will drop to zero and your chemical reactions will cease to continue...and you're DEAD...PERIOD...OWN IT...clearly you have a Methuselah comkplex and fear your mortality...go see a shrink

Level 2

Statesville, NC

#73333 Jan 31, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Different idiot. This one thinks that all insect species burrowed into the ground during the biblical flood and that is how they survived without having to be on the ark.
DAmnitalltohell...I need a f!@#king playbill for this forum...LOL...all apologies to Langoliers, you're just a moron...keep posting, though, you'll elevate your status to idiot soon enough...

xxxoooxxx YOU ARE AN IDOIT!

“All things considered”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#73334 Jan 31, 2013
GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, this is the experiment some 60+ years ago...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2%80%93U...
And for some light reading, here is the man who FIRST promoted the Primodrial Atom theory...Georges Lemaitre(that's Goerge Le-Met in Englishese) who was- drum roll, please- AN ORDAINED CATHOLIC PRIEST, and a contemporary of Einstein...actually Lemaitre SHOWED Einstein how the STEADY-STATE THEORY(of Fred Hoyle fame) was WRONG...I suppose you'd tell a bona fide priest/physicist his business about physics and religion, eh?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%...
You see, when you have FORMAL educartion, like me, you have this great ability to actually LEARN from people...sometimes even GENIUSES...sometimes even RELGIOUS GENIUSES whom are honorable enough to place knowledge and its dissemination above lying...I suggest you learn something from someone for ONCE in your life...careful...it's intoxicating...bet you'll never climb back up the slipperry slope to fantasy world.
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
"experiment was shut down out of fear of and pressure from religious groups"
Sounds like a very simple process to facilitate...and to claim that making a very simple single cell organism in a science lab in some university or laboratory somewhere would all be shut down and abandoned and never tried again because of religious groups twenty years ago is quite unbelievable...
link please.

and again...I simply asked for a link to prove that religious groups shut down the experiment, to the point of never being tried again. Not the process of the experiment itself. So what is implied here,is that your(science)is basically blaming religious groups for your(science)own failure.lol
Making life from scratch IS the holy grail of science...and like I said, to imply that "well, we could make life from inorganic material, but they won't let us" is such an absurd excuse that... well you get my point.lol
The truth of the matter is that Science with all it's technology, still can't create the very simplest of simplest life forms.And don't think they haven't tried...because their still working on it.

Level 2

Statesville, NC

#73335 Jan 31, 2013
alan wrote:
<quoted text>Gater is asking some questions that require knowledge and experience. Here, let me enlighten him. The most intelligent human compared to Advanced Alien Beings..........From our experiences we concluded that the human spices will become extinct before its full potential will be attained. AABs are lightyears ahead. Coming from a Galaxy near you.
Couldn't name a the closest galaxy, could you...Imean the ENTIRE INTERNET at your fingertips and your lazy as could do this:
Altavista, which is the nearest galaxy to the Milky Way?

Really? Couldn't manage, that..just had to crank out a trivial response before you could be BOTHERED with the research?

I fail to use superlatives when evaluating subjective claims...I'm more of a threshold-type person...that is, I simply draw a line whereby those who are on one side meet the requisite criteria, while those who don't fail to achieve said status...sort of a pass-fail mentality...I suggest you realize we ALL do the same, and get on board with reality...or should I just inform you now that you fail topass the threshold of being competent, rendering you a MORON...threshold testing has worked perfectly once again.

And do try to think of aliens lifeforms like alien humans to natives...until we have the technology we are unable to explore the vastness of the universe...moreover, time, that pesky little progression FORWARD in the spacetime continuum, is vast and never ending so we(humans today and into, say, 100 year future) simply may not be around, or have missed these aliens becuase of poor timing...sortof like how Columbus never saw Neanderthals when he landed in the Bahamas...he saw Homo sapiens...why? BAD TIMING...Neanderthals were gone...dead...extinct...it happens...understand that your life is but a fraction of a nanosecond o the cosmic clock...any denial of that is simply bravado.

Level 2

Statesville, NC

#73336 Jan 31, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
So?
So...if you don't clamber onto thier message boards and run your horsesh!t at them, then YOU ARE A FRAUD...I don't need 'evolutionists','gravtationali sts' or 'darwinists' to refute you, YOUR OWN XIAN BRETHREN ARE LAUGHING AT YOU...sort of like your own mother telling you to SHUT THE F*CK UP...when you refute THEIR claims succesfully, then you can move up to the big leagues...now, back to the minors for you...the Jerusalem Kooks need a bat boy.

“All things considered”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#73337 Jan 31, 2013
Basically, all Science is doing is imitating and manipulating the intelligent processes of the Universe that already exist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 2 min Sublime1 25,436
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 3 min Life after Love 112
A To Z Of Movies (Sep '12) 6 min Chilli J 4,309
why is geno stalking 16 min Fashion Consultant 15
The BIZARRE reasons why men rape in India 16 min Shushant 1,043
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 17 min Mega Monster 7,476
Add a Word, Ruin a Movie (Oct '13) 23 min X Crypsis X 4,099
Merry Christmas Topix, Thanks For,...? 24 min _Evil-_-Bill_ 69
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 40 min _hellbilly_ 152,344
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr dragoon70056 37,715