Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
68,941 - 68,960 of 112,945 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

Level 2

Since: Mar 09

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
And you're right? CAD is a different monster than say AI machine or robot. CAD is just 2-dimensional. lol
Ray has a point when comparing his apples to oranges. Why because it can shed light to how much computer data is needed to simulate someone with a half-brain.
HIS OPINION...not science...and your brain reqwuires 100% of it to be utilized...you may not NEED certain parts for certain things(your brain keeps you breathing while you do math, for example, but is that part of the brain NECESSARY for the math?) and of curse, the actuall run-time envirnment needs to also be simulated...a 'WORKING BRAIN' may not be able to do anything useful, say like a newborn infant...it needs development, which reuires both time and GROWTH, and likely feedback for correction, etc...

Computers are dimensionless as far as space, they can represent (practically)anything VIRTUALLY(given the appropriate software)..it's why I can design anything from a computer-chip to a space ship, as my computer and software are capable of calcualtions to several digits on both sides of the decimal point...in fact, given enough memory one could design ALL of the spaceship, launch apparatus and the computer chips which they are comprised...I certainly hope you're not implying that CAD only generates 2D output...I have MANY programs which are 2D,2.5D and 3D modelers...as well as 3D printing capable...computers are number crunchers...that's it...what is done with those numbers makes your output different(video, audio, printouts, 3d models, mass data storage, etc, etc)but the information behind all of them is the same(1 and 0s)so clarify your 2-dimensional comment...I design in 2, 2.5 and 3D, and can generate(via 3d printing) an actual model you can hold in your hand...not to mention the same 3d 'printing' process is how computer chips are MANUFACTURED...I hgighly doubt you could even argue Kurzweil's point in proper context...

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>He did for yars...and to make light of his disease thagt YOUR GOD CANNOT DESTROY seems a bit short-sighted...of course he says more in silence than your bible says...go figure...are you really this childish to compare a CONFIRMED genius with ALS(who was supposed to be dead 25 years ago) with ANYTHING...you have no excuse for being an idiot...MR HAwking, despite his limitations on self-verbalized communication is unquestionably one of the great minds of our generation...yet your god is helpless tocure a little disease...hmmm...I;ll have to kick a nun in the teeth today, I guess...
Missed the point. Jeeeezee what's with you guys.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/443...
Not to mention the civilizations that cruised right through it without skipping a beat.
Not to mention this old chestnut:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/sumerians-lo...

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
But you miss the point. It's 13.3 billion "LIGHT YEARS" away. The expansion of the universe is said to be speeding up and yet today it's still noway near the speed of light.
D O Y O U U N D E R S T A N D ?
Better than you, obviously.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>Aren't you the idiot who thinks nuclear reactors(Fission) operate the same as the Sun(Fusion)?

'Nuff said...
Nope not me. Go back and check.

Level 2

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
The American alligators are numerous and live among human inhabitation. Most states have strict laws against killing gators without a license or without cause. You should check your state laws before killing an alligator.
http://howtokillthings.com/how-to-kill-alliga...
Hmmm...175 million plus years on Earth...not exactly scared...we'll be here LONG after the illegal aliens are gone...wanna bet?!?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>Even some fundiots say you're wrong...

http://www.oldearth.org/grandcanyon.htm

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxx ttttttt, please...
So?

Level 2

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
The idea was that fusion or fission is a product of some intelligence. Just like how intelligence of Engineers are needed to create a blueprint for their work by using CorelDraw, AutoCAD, etc.
But okay, you were arguing about something and missing the point.
No...you butted in a supported an idiot...he said that "when the same process that stars use is used here on Earth...." and he was WRONG...WE DON'T USE FUSION TO GENERATE POWER...PERIOD

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
HIS OPINION...not science...and your brain reqwuires 100% of it to be utilized...you may not NEED certain parts for certain things(your brain keeps you breathing while you do math, for example, but is that part of the brain NECESSARY for the math?) and of curse, the actuall run-time envirnment needs to also be simulated...a 'WORKING BRAIN' may not be able to do anything useful, say like a newborn infant...it needs development, which reuires both time and GROWTH, and likely feedback for correction, etc...
Computers are dimensionless as far as space, they can represent (practically)anything VIRTUALLY(given the appropriate software)..it's why I can design anything from a computer-chip to a space ship, as my computer and software are capable of calcualtions to several digits on both sides of the decimal point...in fact, given enough memory one could design ALL of the spaceship, launch apparatus and the computer chips which they are comprised...I certainly hope you're not implying that CAD only generates 2D output...I have MANY programs which are 2D,2.5D and 3D modelers...as well as 3D printing capable...computers are number crunchers...that's it...what is done with those numbers makes your output different(video, audio, printouts, 3d models, mass data storage, etc, etc)but the information behind all of them is the same(1 and 0s)so clarify your 2-dimensional comment...I design in 2, 2.5 and 3D, and can generate(via 3d printing) an actual model you can hold in your hand...not to mention the same 3d 'printing' process is how computer chips are MANUFACTURED...I hgighly doubt you could even argue Kurzweil's point in proper context...
I have genes of Engineers. lol. I know what you're on about. You're still missing the point.

Ray made a good point. His calculations would help us understand how much data is required to design AI. He wrote a book about Artificial Intelligence. How would one do that if the designer has no clue about how much data the brain can hold or how much information can be encoded in DNA? That's why he made a valid comparison between the brain and human genome to give us the actual MATH. Comprende?

Level 2

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he's right. As I found the same info from another source. Although I think he meant bits instead of bytes when he said he found trillions bytes of information that characterize the brain. That's super-duper large! lol
"The human genome has around 3 billion base pairs, each of which stores two bits (to indicate one of four bases). That's 6 billion bits, or about 3/4 of a gigabyte."
ah ...Ray Kurzweil doesn'tknow the differenced between bits and bytes...LOLOLOLOL..are you kidding...my 10 year-old niece knows that 8-bits equals one byte...obviously YOU didn't...this is like saying that Einstein didn't know the difference bewtween light speed and the speed of sound...you're an idiot...you believe what Kurzweil says, but his Math is wrong?!?!? ROFLMAOLOLOL...he DID the math before he came up with his hypothesis...troll...why do you think you 6,000,000,000/8=>750,000,00 0...becuase HE DID THE MATH.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm...175 million plus years on Earth...not exactly scared...we'll be here LONG after the illegal aliens are gone...wanna bet?!?
Which one is more useful, an illegal alien or a gator?

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
ah ...Ray Kurzweil doesn'tknow the differenced between bits and bytes...LOLOLOLOL..are you kidding...my 10 year-old niece knows that 8-bits equals one byte...obviously YOU didn't...this is like saying that Einstein didn't know the difference bewtween light speed and the speed of sound...you're an idiot...you believe what Kurzweil says, but his Math is wrong?!?!? ROFLMAOLOLOL...he DID the math before he came up with his hypothesis...troll...why do you think you 6,000,000,000/8=>750,000,00 0...becuase HE DID THE MATH.
You're still missing the point. I know 8 bits = 1 byte, and whatever how many bits equal one gigabyte. I don't care. But I get the point unlike you. Can you do the actual math yourself? I doubt it.

Level 2

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Which one is more useful, an illegal alien or a gator?
Again: 175 million years...you have a LOOOONG way to go before you even approach that kind of seniority...I think the numbers speak for themselves...do you really want to keep up the childish antics...because deflecting the questions and obfuscating for time won't bother me...just exposes yourself as incapable of keeping up with the material...now tell us again about your prowessin mathematics...something like : math is language of the universe, right? Wouldn't you actually have to MASTER that language before you bnother to expund its properties and applicabilty to ANYTHING? Aren't you the fool that clams Ray kurzweil didn't do the math right?LOL
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Since God can suspend the laws of physics and do whatever he wants. Then why didn't he just encapsulate Noah and his family along with whatever number of animals he chose in a stasis field, destroy the Earth and put them on an exact replica when he was done. For that matter why not wish all of humanity into the corn field in a blink of an eye. Afterall it was man and not animals and plants that had sinned.
You attribute all these things that God could do, but your imagination is limited to what that can mean. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
All the animals and plants were given to Adam and whatever he named them that was what they were and so being every creature fell when mankind fell as well as the whole ecology of earth when death came.

Level 2

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I have genes of Engineers. lol. I know what you're on about. You're still missing the point.
Ray made a good point. His calculations would help us understand how much data is required to design AI. He wrote a book about Artificial Intelligence. How would one do that if the designer has no clue about how much data the brain can hold or how much information can be encoded in DNA? That's why he made a valid comparison between the brain and human genome to give us the actual MATH. Comprende?
As I said...artificial machines do not have to burden themsleves wth the same things a human brain does: breathing, eating, sympathetic systems, assympathetic systems, fatigue, etc, etc...so the question is HOW much would a MACHINE require to do X activity...do we not currently have machines which do the weork of humans: cranes for lifting, artificial hearts, robots at plants...Kurzweil has not yet even proposed WHAT this machine will do, so determining the amount of memeory, computing power, etc cannot b addressed until the parameters/criteria are resolved...got it? we already have AI machines...you seem to be talking about an artificial HUMAN...but, again, artificial implies that it will not require nearly the overhead that a human requires just to wake, breath, live, eat and then sleep- pure survival mode...as well as implying thjat it look like, act like and have the same physical body-type as humans...yuou argument is poorly constructed, not well thought out...and not for nothing, but AI implies a machine which can LEARN and MODIFY its behaviour for successful future endeavors...so when you define your criteria, you'll let me know...AI is not just one field...it has MANY fields...Kurzweil knows this and has posited simply mapping the human brain,hence his conclusion is to start at the obvious: how big does it have to be...of course we have long ago realized that computer memory is propotional to MATERIALS ENGINEERING capabilities...this is where the bottleneck will always be..and of course WHO decides what INTELLIGENCE is appropriate...will it be a creationist or a scientist, for example...

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
Again: 175 million years...you have a LOOOONG way to go before you even approach that kind of seniority...I think the numbers speak for themselves...do you really want to keep up the childish antics...because deflecting the questions and obfuscating for time won't bother me...just exposes yourself as incapable of keeping up with the material...now tell us again about your prowessin mathematics...something like : math is language of the universe, right? Wouldn't you actually have to MASTER that language before you bnother to expund its properties and applicabilty to ANYTHING? Aren't you the fool that clams Ray kurzweil didn't do the math right?LOL
Everybody knows MATH is the universal language. Don't engineers know that?

And I do my own Math to explain things and events. Something people don't teach in universities. But I find it useful because it helps me understand why things happen at a certain time, certain place, certain situations, certain influences, etc. There is no such thing as random or coincidence.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Only because you bury your head in the sand. Evidence of a world wide flood is world wide. From the claims on top of Everest to the Grand Canyon where the Colorado river would have had to flow up hill to create it.
Nope, if you understood anything of sedimentology you would not make such a stupid statement.

Let's take look at just a few different sorts of limestone deposits. Chalk is made from billions of little animals that died and slowly "rained" down on the sea floor. If you had turbulent flood water they would be all mixed up with other sediments. And that many cannot live in one area in a year. In fact very few can live in ocean water. A world wide Flood would have killed the few that did exist at the time and even if you could sort them you would only have a fraction of an inch of deposit.

Coral reefs are similar. They grow very slowly. They do not grow at the rate of individual corals, which can grow inches per year. They grow as the corals die and break up. So again, a thousand feet of coral is not going to grow in a year.

Varves show annual deposits again, flood water would not deposit varves. Cross bedded eolian sandstone between shale and limestone could not have been deposited by the flood either.

Nor could the flood have sorted microscopic index fossils.

There was no flood. What are you three? You may as well believe in Santa Claus as believe in the Flood.

In regards to the Colorado River, irrefutable evidence that it was caused by uplift: Incised meanders.

And lastly ice floats. Eight hundred thousand years of ice deposits at the Antarctic and Greenland icecaps show there was no Flood.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
WHO decides what INTELLIGENCE is appropriate...will it be a creationist or a scientist, for example...
I don't know. I've given up on religion a long time ago. I don't follow any scriptures or anything. All that book is a bunch of hidden meanings and predictions that only the elites understand. But I'm not going to waste my precious time on the bible alone. I know enough to understand this much.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you the idiot who thinks nuclear reactors(Fission) operate the same as the Sun(Fusion)?
'Nuff said...
Different idiot. This one thinks that all insect species burrowed into the ground during the biblical flood and that is how they survived without having to be on the ark.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Originally that's what I thought he was referring to also, since he mentioned the Klan at the time.
That is why I made the connection. I just thought he was being coy leaving off the final K because he didn't want to implicate his brothers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••