Evolution vs. Creation

Jan 6, 2011 Read more: Best of New Orleans 155,446
High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Read more

Level 2

Since: Mar 09

Statesville, NC

#73287 Jan 30, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Which one is more useful, an illegal alien or a gator?
Again: 175 million years...you have a LOOOONG way to go before you even approach that kind of seniority...I think the numbers speak for themselves...do you really want to keep up the childish antics...because deflecting the questions and obfuscating for time won't bother me...just exposes yourself as incapable of keeping up with the material...now tell us again about your prowessin mathematics...something like : math is language of the universe, right? Wouldn't you actually have to MASTER that language before you bnother to expund its properties and applicabilty to ANYTHING? Aren't you the fool that clams Ray kurzweil didn't do the math right?LOL
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#73288 Jan 30, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Since God can suspend the laws of physics and do whatever he wants. Then why didn't he just encapsulate Noah and his family along with whatever number of animals he chose in a stasis field, destroy the Earth and put them on an exact replica when he was done. For that matter why not wish all of humanity into the corn field in a blink of an eye. Afterall it was man and not animals and plants that had sinned.
You attribute all these things that God could do, but your imagination is limited to what that can mean. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
All the animals and plants were given to Adam and whatever he named them that was what they were and so being every creature fell when mankind fell as well as the whole ecology of earth when death came.

Level 2

Since: Mar 09

Statesville, NC

#73289 Jan 30, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I have genes of Engineers. lol. I know what you're on about. You're still missing the point.
Ray made a good point. His calculations would help us understand how much data is required to design AI. He wrote a book about Artificial Intelligence. How would one do that if the designer has no clue about how much data the brain can hold or how much information can be encoded in DNA? That's why he made a valid comparison between the brain and human genome to give us the actual MATH. Comprende?
As I said...artificial machines do not have to burden themsleves wth the same things a human brain does: breathing, eating, sympathetic systems, assympathetic systems, fatigue, etc, etc...so the question is HOW much would a MACHINE require to do X activity...do we not currently have machines which do the weork of humans: cranes for lifting, artificial hearts, robots at plants...Kurzweil has not yet even proposed WHAT this machine will do, so determining the amount of memeory, computing power, etc cannot b addressed until the parameters/criteria are resolved...got it? we already have AI machines...you seem to be talking about an artificial HUMAN...but, again, artificial implies that it will not require nearly the overhead that a human requires just to wake, breath, live, eat and then sleep- pure survival mode...as well as implying thjat it look like, act like and have the same physical body-type as humans...yuou argument is poorly constructed, not well thought out...and not for nothing, but AI implies a machine which can LEARN and MODIFY its behaviour for successful future endeavors...so when you define your criteria, you'll let me know...AI is not just one field...it has MANY fields...Kurzweil knows this and has posited simply mapping the human brain,hence his conclusion is to start at the obvious: how big does it have to be...of course we have long ago realized that computer memory is propotional to MATERIALS ENGINEERING capabilities...this is where the bottleneck will always be..and of course WHO decides what INTELLIGENCE is appropriate...will it be a creationist or a scientist, for example...

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#73290 Jan 30, 2013
GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
Again: 175 million years...you have a LOOOONG way to go before you even approach that kind of seniority...I think the numbers speak for themselves...do you really want to keep up the childish antics...because deflecting the questions and obfuscating for time won't bother me...just exposes yourself as incapable of keeping up with the material...now tell us again about your prowessin mathematics...something like : math is language of the universe, right? Wouldn't you actually have to MASTER that language before you bnother to expund its properties and applicabilty to ANYTHING? Aren't you the fool that clams Ray kurzweil didn't do the math right?LOL
Everybody knows MATH is the universal language. Don't engineers know that?

And I do my own Math to explain things and events. Something people don't teach in universities. But I find it useful because it helps me understand why things happen at a certain time, certain place, certain situations, certain influences, etc. There is no such thing as random or coincidence.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#73291 Jan 30, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Only because you bury your head in the sand. Evidence of a world wide flood is world wide. From the claims on top of Everest to the Grand Canyon where the Colorado river would have had to flow up hill to create it.
Nope, if you understood anything of sedimentology you would not make such a stupid statement.

Let's take look at just a few different sorts of limestone deposits. Chalk is made from billions of little animals that died and slowly "rained" down on the sea floor. If you had turbulent flood water they would be all mixed up with other sediments. And that many cannot live in one area in a year. In fact very few can live in ocean water. A world wide Flood would have killed the few that did exist at the time and even if you could sort them you would only have a fraction of an inch of deposit.

Coral reefs are similar. They grow very slowly. They do not grow at the rate of individual corals, which can grow inches per year. They grow as the corals die and break up. So again, a thousand feet of coral is not going to grow in a year.

Varves show annual deposits again, flood water would not deposit varves. Cross bedded eolian sandstone between shale and limestone could not have been deposited by the flood either.

Nor could the flood have sorted microscopic index fossils.

There was no flood. What are you three? You may as well believe in Santa Claus as believe in the Flood.

In regards to the Colorado River, irrefutable evidence that it was caused by uplift: Incised meanders.

And lastly ice floats. Eight hundred thousand years of ice deposits at the Antarctic and Greenland icecaps show there was no Flood.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#73292 Jan 30, 2013
GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
WHO decides what INTELLIGENCE is appropriate...will it be a creationist or a scientist, for example...
I don't know. I've given up on religion a long time ago. I don't follow any scriptures or anything. All that book is a bunch of hidden meanings and predictions that only the elites understand. But I'm not going to waste my precious time on the bible alone. I know enough to understand this much.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#73294 Jan 30, 2013
GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you the idiot who thinks nuclear reactors(Fission) operate the same as the Sun(Fusion)?
'Nuff said...
Different idiot. This one thinks that all insect species burrowed into the ground during the biblical flood and that is how they survived without having to be on the ark.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#73295 Jan 30, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Originally that's what I thought he was referring to also, since he mentioned the Klan at the time.
That is why I made the connection. I just thought he was being coy leaving off the final K because he didn't want to implicate his brothers.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#73296 Jan 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
It happens to me all the time. Especially on a Monday.
Some weeks, Monday lasts a few days.

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#73297 Jan 30, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Then when you ask a question do not get upset if we quote our web sites.
What website is that? www.falseinformationformorons.com

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#73298 Jan 30, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, if you understood anything of sedimentology you would not make such a stupid statement.
Let's take look at just a few different sorts of limestone deposits. Chalk is made from billions of little animals that died and slowly "rained" down on the sea floor. If you had turbulent flood water they would be all mixed up with other sediments. And that many cannot live in one area in a year. In fact very few can live in ocean water. A world wide Flood would have killed the few that did exist at the time and even if you could sort them you would only have a fraction of an inch of deposit.
Coral reefs are similar. They grow very slowly. They do not grow at the rate of individual corals, which can grow inches per year. They grow as the corals die and break up. So again, a thousand feet of coral is not going to grow in a year.
Varves show annual deposits again, flood water would not deposit varves. Cross bedded eolian sandstone between shale and limestone could not have been deposited by the flood either.
Nor could the flood have sorted microscopic index fossils.
There was no flood. What are you three? You may as well believe in Santa Claus as believe in the Flood.
In regards to the Colorado River, irrefutable evidence that it was caused by uplift: Incised meanders.
And lastly ice floats. Eight hundred thousand years of ice deposits at the Antarctic and Greenland icecaps show there was no Flood.
And despite all this and multitude of further evidence, he is still going to say the flood happened. Which would be fine if it ended there.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#73299 Jan 30, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny that many places have human foot prints been found crossing Dragon foot prints in the same stone.
And in front of news crews and cameras more rock was lifted off exposing more human tracks under other rock so there was noway they could have been faked.
Are you talking about the Paluxy river tracks??
alan

Kansas City, MO

#73300 Jan 30, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. I've given up on religion a long time ago. I don't follow any scriptures or anything. All that book is a bunch of hidden meanings and predictions that only the elites understand. But I'm not going to waste my precious time on the bible alone. I know enough to understand this much.
Gater is asking some questions that require knowledge and experience. Here, let me enlighten him. The most intelligent human compared to Advanced Alien Beings..........From our experiences we concluded that the human spices will become extinct before its full potential will be attained. AABs are lightyears ahead. Coming from a Galaxy near you.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#73301 Jan 30, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you talking about the Paluxy river tracks??
Multiply debunked.

One example:

Massimo Pigliucci, Denying Evolution: Creationism, Scientism, and the Nature of Science,(Sinauer, 2002, page 246): ISBN 0-87893-659-9

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#73302 Jan 30, 2013
Cybele wrote:
The American alligators are numerous and live among human inhabitation. Most states have strict laws against killing gators without a license or without cause. You should check your state laws before killing an alligator.

http://howtokillthings.com/how-to-kill-alliga...
"One method to kill an alligator is to shoot it. "

How enlightening.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#73303 Jan 30, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>Are you talking about the Paluxy river tracks??
Paluxy has been pretty much ruled out.
There are dozens of better examples.

"The Paluxy River runs through Glen Rose, Texas. At the bottom of this river, there are thousands of layers of limestone. There was a bad flood in 1908 that ripped off 2 feet of solid rock. This rock was carried 20 miles downstream. This exposed thousands of dinosaur footprints. There were so many footprints that they decided to make the area into a State Park (Dinosaur Valley State Park). Many of the footprints were put into museums in order to be preserved, but there are still many there today.

Many human footprints were also found. Sometimes the human tracks were next to the dinosaur tracks. Several human footprints were found inside of the dinosaur footprints and some dinosaur footprints were found on top of the human footprints. The human strides were perfect.

Excavation of tracks show a compressed layer pattern underneath as one would expect if they are genuine. A scientist who did not examine the evidence ruled out the possibility that the tracks were human. A professor of medicine from the Unversity of Illinois examined the tracks and was convinced that they were genuine (CRSQ, 1970, 7:3, p.142; 1970, 7:4, p.246; Ryals, undated). Some years later at least some of the supposed human tracks were definitely shown to be dinosaur tracks. In the past 20 years many additional discoveries have been made to add to the controversy. Many books and articles treat these finds, both for and against their authenticity."

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#73304 Jan 30, 2013
alan wrote:
<quoted text>Gater is asking some questions that require knowledge and experience. Here, let me enlighten him. The most intelligent human compared to Advanced Alien Beings..........From our experiences we concluded that the human spices will become extinct before its full potential will be attained. AABs are lightyears ahead. Coming from a Galaxy near you.
Before we become extinct, our species will first go through a transition to the next age. It's becoming apparent with all the technology we have. Here's what I think. The first book ever published or printed was the bible. And I'm under the assumption that these inner circle, who influenced the writing of the bible, knew the power of language. Ever heard of Bibliomancy? They were careful of what they had to print. So they provided moral teachings on the level that people would understand and follow but on a deeper level, there are other meanings attached to the scriptures. They knew this power would affect the lives of people. It was sort of a moral responsibility, if that was God's intention.

But now we're in the information age, we have the internet replacing newspapers, magazines and books. We don't have to let just one ancient book affect our lives. There are tons of information out there fact or fiction. We can learn about ancient wisdom, secret knowledge, gnosticism, from other sources. Whatever means of information one has access to, it will affect one's life the same manner the first book ever printed provided to the people in the old times. People should have the freedom to read and acquire knowledge whatever pleases them any way they want. Whatever rocks your boat. lol

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#73305 Jan 30, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Paluxy has been pretty much ruled out.
There are dozens of better examples.
"The Paluxy River runs through Glen Rose, Texas. At the bottom of this river, there are thousands of layers of limestone. There was a bad flood in 1908 that ripped off 2 feet of solid rock. This rock was carried 20 miles downstream. This exposed thousands of dinosaur footprints. There were so many footprints that they decided to make the area into a State Park (Dinosaur Valley State Park). Many of the footprints were put into museums in order to be preserved, but there are still many there today.
Many human footprints were also found. Sometimes the human tracks were next to the dinosaur tracks. Several human footprints were found inside of the dinosaur footprints and some dinosaur footprints were found on top of the human footprints. The human strides were perfect.
Excavation of tracks show a compressed layer pattern underneath as one would expect if they are genuine. A scientist who did not examine the evidence ruled out the possibility that the tracks were human. A professor of medicine from the Unversity of Illinois examined the tracks and was convinced that they were genuine (CRSQ, 1970, 7:3, p.142; 1970, 7:4, p.246; Ryals, undated). Some years later at least some of the supposed human tracks were definitely shown to be dinosaur tracks. In the past 20 years many additional discoveries have been made to add to the controversy. Many books and articles treat these finds, both for and against their authenticity."
Have they been acknowledged by any scientific authorities? Written up and sent to archaeological journals?

I follow science pretty closely and haven't heard of these.

Can you point me to valid sources / links, etc.?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#73306 Jan 30, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Paluxy has been pretty much ruled out.
There are dozens of better examples.
"The Paluxy River runs through Glen Rose, Texas. At the bottom of this river, there are thousands of layers of limestone. There was a bad flood in 1908 that ripped off 2 feet of solid rock. This rock was carried 20 miles downstream. This exposed thousands of dinosaur footprints. There were so many footprints that they decided to make the area into a State Park (Dinosaur Valley State Park). Many of the footprints were put into museums in order to be preserved, but there are still many there today.
Many human footprints were also found. Sometimes the human tracks were next to the dinosaur tracks. Several human footprints were found inside of the dinosaur footprints and some dinosaur footprints were found on top of the human footprints. The human strides were perfect.
Excavation of tracks show a compressed layer pattern underneath as one would expect if they are genuine. A scientist who did not examine the evidence ruled out the possibility that the tracks were human. A professor of medicine from the Unversity of Illinois examined the tracks and was convinced that they were genuine (CRSQ, 1970, 7:3, p.142; 1970, 7:4, p.246; Ryals, undated). Some years later at least some of the supposed human tracks were definitely shown to be dinosaur tracks. In the past 20 years many additional discoveries have been made to add to the controversy. Many books and articles treat these finds, both for and against their authenticity."
You might want to go to these pages on the Answers in Geneses website and read about dinosaur/human investigations.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/get-answers/t...
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/cm/v...

“I be me, and you are...”

Level 6

Since: Dec 06

in a city...

#73307 Jan 30, 2013
Zackly wrote:
<quoted text>Are you sleep walking or something?
Are you asking or something? Sarcastic are you right of the bat...

Hmmmm Yeah I am tap dancing...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 4 min Old Sam 3,977
A To Z Of Movies (Sep '12) 6 min Old Sam 4,624
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 min Observer 159,980
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 8 min Grace Nerissa 8,208
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 8 min Old Sam 5,288
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 9 min Truths 31,225
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 10 min Truths 139,810
Word Association (Jun '10) 18 min Mega Monster 27,031
motorcycle traveling stories 24 min Beyonce 67
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 31 min Observer 8,168
Still arguing with Billy R (Oct '09) 6 hr Hitesrunprincess 543
More from around the web