Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
68,881 - 68,900 of 114,560 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
intelligent does not mean the ability to talk. Steven Hawking can't talk on his own.
Hawking thinks creationism is BS and accepts evolution. In fact I'm pretty sure he's a signatory of Project Steve.

Level 2

Since: Mar 09

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
intelligent does not mean the ability to talk. Steven Hawking can't talk on his own.
He did for yars...and to make light of his disease thagt YOUR GOD CANNOT DESTROY seems a bit short-sighted...of course he says more in silence than your bible says...go figure...are you really this childish to compare a CONFIRMED genius with ALS(who was supposed to be dead 25 years ago) with ANYTHING...you have no excuse for being an idiot...MR HAwking, despite his limitations on self-verbalized communication is unquestionably one of the great minds of our generation...yet your god is helpless tocure a little disease...hmmm...I;ll have to kick a nun in the teeth today, I guess...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard it was only 50,000 years.
"Carbon dating is used to determine the age of biological artifacts up to 50,000 years old. This technique is widely used on recent artifacts, but teachers should note that this technique will not work on older fossils (like those of the dinosaurs which are over 65 million years old). This technique is not restricted to bones; it can also be used on cloth, wood and plant fibers. Carbon-14 dating has been used successfully on the Dead Sea Scrolls, Minoan ruins and tombs of the pharohs among other things."
50,000 is usual, very occasionally up to 100,000 maybe at a push. But certainly no more than that. This is why it's rarely used as evidence for evolution. That's still not stopped some creo's from saying "evolution is wrong cuz carbon dating is inaccurate!" though.

Level 2

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Only because you bury your head in the sand. Evidence of a world wide flood is world wide. From the claims on top of Everest to the Grand Canyon where the Colorado river would have had to flow up hill to create it.
Aren't you the idiot who thinks nuclear reactors(Fission) operate the same as the Sun(Fusion)?

'Nuff said...

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

MikeF wrote:
Where do you come up with 'bytes'? That's a binary term. I see no correlation to DNA.
You can ask Ray, the author.

http://edge.org/memberbio/ray_kurzweil

Only less than 1 gig of info can be stored encoded in human genome. But because of redundancies in DNA, actual information content is less.

But accdg to Ray, the brain can store more info than that! trillions...compared to 6 billion bits.

"I come up with thousands of trillions of bytes of information to characterize what's in a brain, which is millions of times greater than what is in the genome."
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I like the scientific dating method used that the bones found with pottery is dated by the pottery and the pottery is dated by the bones found with it.
Bones aren't dated by the pottery. The pottery MAY be dated by the bones only IF there are intervening factors that prevent normal scientific dating methods to be used on the bones. However if the bones can be dated they are also able to be confirmed via multiple methods.

You guys then complain about science not taking YEC views into consideration, but then that's because you don't even understand the ramifications of your arguments.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Only because you bury your head in the sand. Evidence of a world wide flood is world wide. From the claims on top of Everest to the Grand Canyon where the Colorado river would have had to flow up hill to create it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/443...

Not to mention the civilizations that cruised right through it without skipping a beat.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
They never said it was. It was the force behind it that could've possessed intelligence.
Could. Or it might not.
Cybele wrote:
Universal Intelligence - wiki
Ray Kurzweil. Good with computers, science, not so good.

Level 2

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Even some fundiots say you're wrong...

http://www.oldearth.org/grandcanyon.htm

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxx ttttttt, please...

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you the idiot who thinks nuclear reactors(Fission) operate the same as the Sun(Fusion)?
'Nuff said...
I don't think they're specifically talking about fission of uranium.

How Nuclear Fusion Reactors Work

Fusion reactors have been getting a lot of press recently because they offer some major advantages over other power sources. They will use abundant sources of fuel, they will not leak radiation above normal background levels and they will produce less radioactive waste than current fission reactors.

Fusion reactors are now in experimental stages at several laboratories in the United States and around the world.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/fusion-react...

So technically, nuclear fusion is possible.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"The galaxy MACS0647-JD (inset) appears very young and is only a fraction of the size of our own Milky Way. The galaxy is about 13.3 billion light-years from Earth, the farthest galaxy yet known, and formed 420 million years after the Big Bang. Image taken by Hubble Space Telescope on Nov. 29, 2011, and released Nov. 15, 2012.
CREDIT: NASA, ESA, and M. Postman and D. Coe (STScI) and CLASH Team "
This alone is proof that science has the age of this stuff all wrong.
Science claims the universe 13.7 billion years old. This galaxy is 13.3 billion "LIGHT YEARS" away from earth.
The expansion of the universe is speeding up. Yet it is nowhere near the speed of light.
False. In fact the expansion of the universe can exceed the speed of light. And carry bodies along in the process.
Langoliers wrote:
This proves that the years and distances just don't add up.
Either that Galaxy is not 13.3 billion "LIGHT YEARS" away or the universe is much older.
You're failing to take factors into account. For if we say for the sake of argument that the universe expanded from a central point 13.7 billion years ago then that means it's at minimum 27.4 billion light years across. So we have no problem with seeing galaxies 13.3 light years away if they developed that fast. Especially if they ever travelled towards our direction at any point in time.

Although that's looking at things at a 3 dimensional point of view, in reality it would be even more complicated. Either way though I seriously doubt that some random netgeek just so happened to have found a fatal flaw that all the rest of the cosmologists in the world had failed to consider, do you?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Only less than 1 gig of info can be stored encoded in human genome. But because of redundancies in DNA, actual information content is less.
But accdg to Ray, the brain can store more info than that! trillions...compared to 6 billion bits.
"I come up with thousands of trillions of bytes of information to characterize what's in a brain, which is millions of times greater than what is in the genome."
Well, if I bump in to Ray, I'll have to ask. Ray's a bright guy but not always correct. I'd like to know how the 'less than 1 gig' figure came from in a genome with about 3.2 billion base pairs. Especially when DNA would seem to be comparable to a quaternary number system rather than binary.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are clueless.
You're a creationist.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
Too Much Testosterone Lowers Intelligence
http://www.altpenis.com/news/20060828003237da...
Man, somebody should really show this to Buck.

Level 2

Statesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
How does the size of a KNOWN, finite entity- DNA- have anything to do with a growing organ? Apples and oranges...red herring...straw man...all of these...that's like saying how can my software program of 500kb create files which are Megabytes in size...or like saying how can one little sperm and egg with 1 million, discrete but-soon to-die-off cells create something that replaces some 6 billion cells every day? Your conflating the two...tsk tsk...your brain doesn't harness DNA to store it's information...the DNA provides the PLANS to BUILD the PARTS that do the "data housing"...same as when I design something on my computer...I may create a CAD file that is say 5MB...but it may be for a comuter memeory component that can store 5 terabytes...stop conflating the two, they are COMLPETELY different monsters...I mean one cell has DNA(your millions of bits) and we lose millions everyday...your math is bad, your science is bad, your theory has failed and Ray whoever is an idiot...tell him I said so...

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>I find it funny that you find it funny that you think he's pinning rules on God, while you pin your rules on God all the time.(shrug)
What are my rules that I put on God?
Or is this just dribble from a pissed off atheist?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Geez, Lango, not that dumb argument! It doesn't have to flow uphill if the plate below it rises. Which it did over millions of years.

Your global flood not only kills all life (Noah's boat included) worldwide in multiple different ways, it's simply not reflected in the geological record. Your boys even sent out geologists back in the eighties with the specific mandate of finding evidence of the global flood. They soon put a stop to that. Because when they got back they told their bosses exactly what they didn't wanna hear.

But again, why the heck are you pretending about evidence when your position is Jewish wizardry?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-oh! Don't tell the fundies that one, they might have you crucified.

:-O
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
Even some fundiots say you're wrong...
http://www.oldearth.org/grandcanyon.htm
Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxx ttttttt, please...
Yup. The ONLY reason the river would have to flow UP-hill would be is if the Earth was only 6,000 years old. But since science refutes YECism it's dishonest of them to make that claim. Yet again creo's break the 9th Commandment.

Then bozos like Lango repeat the argument without even understanding it.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if I bump in to Ray, I'll have to ask. Ray's a bright guy but not always correct. I'd like to know how the 'less than 1 gig' figure came from in a genome with about 3.2 billion base pairs. Especially when DNA would seem to be comparable to a quaternary number system rather than binary.
I think he's right. As I found the same info from another source. Although I think he meant bits instead of bytes when he said he found trillions bytes of information that characterize the brain. That's super-duper large! lol

"The human genome has around 3 billion base pairs, each of which stores two bits (to indicate one of four bases). That's 6 billion bits, or about 3/4 of a gigabyte."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••