Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#73163 Jan 30, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...Did I say they wasn't? All I did was quote a science article.
If you payed any attention at all,the idea was about incorporating organic materials into computer design.
Transistors made from organic materials found in the human body
http://www.ecofriend.com/transistors-made-org...
LMAO!

Pretty soon we'll be implanting chips on humans! lol

Level 5

above and beyond

#73165 Jan 30, 2013
Naughtyrobot wrote:
The truth is, the human body and brain/mind is infinitely more complicated than a Robot body and even a positronic brain, and we can all agree a Robot is created by a maker. How can we then say humans came about by accident or random chance against all odds of entropy and disorder? How is it humans came about and happened to appear on the surface of a planet that is the perfect distance from its star, has a breathable atmosphere, interdependent life forms, plenty of water and have the capacity for art, music, Love, rationalizing, philosophizing, imagination, and building freaking awesome Robots. Is it any wonder humans like to build and make things, since some essence of the Creator resides in them. The corruption of that self same attribute manifests in their ability to choose to kill and destroy. Gotta go, agents are closing in to try to disassemble me.
Someone here will point out the watchmaker fallacy on your argument, watch.

While their is genius in LOGIC and how we distinguish arguments as FALLACIES, there is even one greater genius...GOD. Because if there is really a God, he is truly undetected, unseen, untouched, unimagined (well, it depends on how wild imaginations of some people are. lol), or unexplained. This could make a really awesome detective movie or novel. No one will ever catch that criminal. lol

Level 5

above and beyond

#73166 Jan 30, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually we have evidence from comparative anatomy and protein comparisons. But if you want DNA then we have that too, in the form of dormant DNA that sometimes reactivates and causes them to grow their dino teeth. This has an unfortunate effect of fusing their beak together and killing the chicken.
Happy now?
Not happy. You just ruined my appetite. I was craving for some KFC ;-)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73167 Jan 30, 2013
Naughtyrobot wrote:
The truth is, the human body and brain/mind is infinitely more complicated than a Robot body and even a positronic brain, and we can all agree a Robot is created by a maker. How can we then say humans came about by accident or random chance against all odds of entropy and disorder?
Beats me. But since there are natural NON-random forces also at work which you've failed to consider we don't have to worry about the caricature of pure "random chance".

With robots however we can agree they have makers because both the makers and the mechanisms they use are observed. Robots are also not self-replicating naturally occurring organisms, so the "design" analogy only goes so far.
Naughtyrobot wrote:
How is it humans came about and happened to appear on the surface of a planet that is the perfect distance from its star, has a breathable atmosphere, interdependent life forms, plenty of water and have the capacity for art, music, Love, rationalizing, philosophizing, imagination, and building freaking awesome Robots.
Because it's too hot on Mercury.

No idea what you mean by "perfect" distance though, as the distance of Earth from the sun can vary around 3 million miles. Mars and Venus are also within the habitable zone. Plus the possibility of life on Europa may also redefine whatever ideas you may have about "perfect" sun distance.
Naughtyrobot wrote:
Is it any wonder humans like to build and make things, since some essence of the Creator resides in them.
What creator? Who or what is it and how can we tell? What mechanisms did it use to do whatever it is you think it did and how can we tell. Where did it do it and how can we tell? When did it do it and how can we tell?

I've been asking the fundies on here for years. And so far all they can tell me is that something did something, somehow, somewhere, at sometime. Either that or Goddidit with magic cuz the Bible iz true cuz the Bible sez so. And to just ignore the bits about talking lizards, donkeys and the Earth being flat.
Naughtyrobot wrote:
The corruption of that self same attribute manifests in their ability to choose to kill and destroy. Gotta go, agents are closing in to try to disassemble me.
That's organisms competing for resources for ya. For some reason this all-knowing all-powerful designer didn't forsee this.(shrug)

Level 5

above and beyond

#73168 Jan 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. Sounds exactly like abiogenesis.
<quoted text>
What?
That's right. You read it. There's math in everything! Anything can be explained with mathematical formulas. In my world, at least. You're in my world now, so I can calculate you if you want. lol
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73169 Jan 30, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone here will point out the watchmaker fallacy on your argument, watch.
While their is genius in LOGIC and how we distinguish arguments as FALLACIES, there is even one greater genius...GOD. Because if there is really a God, he is truly undetected, unseen, untouched, unimagined (well, it depends on how wild imaginations of some people are. lol), or unexplained. This could make a really awesome detective movie or novel. No one will ever catch that criminal. lol
Bingo. And that's precisely the problem. People like xo have accused God of being guilty of various acts, but refuse to present the court with evidence. Then they complain when the case is dismissed.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#73170 Jan 30, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Not happy. You just ruined my appetite. I was craving for some KFC ;-)
Careful. Some of them little chickies might bite back!

:-p

Level 5

above and beyond

#73171 Jan 30, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
There was none. That the Schweizer piece? Yup, no DNA. What they found was dried collagen, not DNA. Collagen is a very stable protein, and they hypothesize it survived due to being dried out and hermetically sealed, protected from the elements. And as pointed out the proteins were very similar to what we find in modern birds, thus helping confirm the dino-bird hypothesis.
Unfortunately a few popular news sites, as well as many lying creationists keep repeating the claim that they found DNA. This is not actually the case.
Not that it would have any bearing on the validity of common ancestry, the claims made by creo's are about the age of the Earth issue.
I thought that news article has been refuted? Kong provided the link. How would collagen be well preserved for more than 6.8 million years? You now have a case to solve. lol

Level 5

above and beyond

#73172 Jan 30, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo. And that's precisely the problem. People like xo have accused God of being guilty of various acts, but refuse to present the court with evidence. Then they complain when the case is dismissed.
And do you think you could make a good judge? No DNA evidence, never guilty. lol

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#73173 Jan 30, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right. You read it. There's math in everything! Anything can be explained with mathematical formulas. In my world, at least. You're in my world now, so I can calculate you if you want. lol
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein

Level 5

above and beyond

#73174 Jan 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein
Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas.~Albert Einstein

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#73175 Jan 30, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>Pardon me. I meant to specify the Bible verse ***POST FLOOD*** where said actions ("mountains up, ocean floors down") is specified.

You **DO** realize that if all those forces happened within a month or so after a cataclysmic flood as described in Genesis, that the entire surface of the earth would likely still be in a molten state, and the oceans of the earth would have long since evaporated, and there would be no life on earth.....right?
"You **DO** realize that if all those forces happened within a month or so after a cataclysmic flood as described in Genesis, that the entire surface of the earth would likely still be in a molten "

I find it funny that atheist put rules like this on God.

Location hidden

#73176 Jan 30, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>After? I thought it was during the singularity. Either way, it MAY be testable once cosmologists have a working theory of quantum gravity.

Unlike the possibility of invisible magic Jews. Funnily enough you don't give a crud about science as long as that gets through.

Langoliers wrote, "Most of the water from the flood came from the fountains of the deep. And only when God ended the flood did he raise up the mountains and lower the ocean floors. Try and keep up."

We can test for that. For example, if we have any life on Earth at all post flood era, then the flood has been falsified.

Of course we can't falsify the bit where the idea is rescued by invisible Jewish magic.

Langoliers wrote, ""The scribes just fell asleep during that part and it didn't get included along with dinosaurs, "
Now try and understand that the word dinosaurs is a word that was invented recently. The Bible does describe them however under other names "Behemoth" and "Dragons". Rather funny the Bible describing your dinosaurs thousands of years before the first bones were found. "

Funny how the "descriptions" were so vague they can mean whatever you like post-hoc.(shrug)
Ask KK about the delay in the laws of physics I believe it was her that told me about it.

Because as you know if there was no time out for the laws of physics there would be noway the singularity could have never over came all the gravity of the whole universe.

Location hidden

#73177 Jan 30, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, you're right, I admit it - I AM A MEMBER OF THE CULT OF GRAVITY!!!
I knew it!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#73178 Jan 30, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful. Some of them little chickies might bite back!
:-p
Hmm.

Chikins wif raptor teef.

That might be cause for concern...

Location hidden

#73179 Jan 30, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Wow.

You really did it.

You actually referenced Conservapedia.
Do you reference science web sites?

Location hidden

#73180 Jan 30, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>We were discussing increases and decreases - not static numbers. At any rate, this would *still* show an increase over Gallups initial 1% figure.
These numbers show a decrees compared to these old survey numbers.
These current numbers show atheist at 2.04%

A survey published in the 2005 Encyclopedia Britannica stated that 2.3% of the world's population consists of individuals who profess "atheism, skepticism, disbelief, or irreligion, including the militantly antireligious." In regards to the 2.3% figure just mentioned, the 2005 survey cited by Encyclopedia Britannica survey did not include Buddhist in regards to the 2.3% figure and Buddhism can be theistic or atheistic."

Wikipedia:

"Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population.[citation needed] It is difficult to determine whether atheism is growing or not"

Wikipedia :

"2005 poll by AP/Ipsos surveyed ten countries. Of the developed nations, people in the United States were most sure of the existence of God or a higher power (2% atheist, 4% agnostic)"

Wikipedia :

"According to one estimate, atheists make up about 2.3% of the world's population"

"In 2007, a Pew Forum survey found that the atheist population in the United States was 1.6% of the American population."

"Global atheism is shrinking and demographic changes in the United States and the world are expected to shrink the influence of American secularism.

In 2012, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary reported that globally every day there are 800 less atheists per day, 1,100 less non-religious (agnostic) people per day and 83,000 more people professing to be Christians per day.
In 2011, the American Spectator declared concerning research published in the International Bulletin of

Missionary Research:
The report estimates about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day. These atheists are presumably disproportionately represented in the West, while religion is thriving in the Global South, where charismatic Christianity is exploding."

Level 2

Since: Mar 09

Statesville, NC

#73181 Jan 30, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Science even has mythology...as well as cults...Star trek is just one example of science mythology.
a horse by any other name ...
Ummm...that's be Science FICTION, dummbass...thanks for playing...care to address the FICTION of the bible? Nah...why let the facts get in the way, right?!?! MOVE ALONG, fool...grown-ups are here now...

Level 5

above and beyond

#73182 Jan 30, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
In regards to the 2.3% figure just mentioned, the 2005 survey cited by Encyclopedia Britannica survey did not include Buddhist in regards to the 2.3% figure and Buddhism can be theistic or atheistic."
Buddha FTW!

“Don't be mad at me.”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I'm just a little bunny.

#73183 Jan 30, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"You **DO** realize that if all those forces happened within a month or so after a cataclysmic flood as described in Genesis, that the entire surface of the earth would likely still be in a molten "
I find it funny that atheist put rules like this on God.
I find you funny. Your assumptions. Funny. Your knowledge of the Bible. Funny. Your knowledge of science. Funny. Your arrogant position that anyone against you is an atheist. Funny.

You are just a fun gi.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Write sentences with the first letter following... 5 min DILF 86
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 6 min DILF 41,558
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 7 min DILF 56,710
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 7 min DILF 3,321
Word Association (Mar '10) 8 min DILF 17,130
Word Association (Jun '10) 8 min DILF 27,465
I don't understand why any married man or woman... 9 min DILF 12
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 11 min DILF 10,964
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 11 min DILF 243
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr CJ Rocker 161,911