Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#72169 Jan 25, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Lord! this coming from the master of lame! your tired worn out routine of, fundie, creatard, liar, godunit,dumb, uneducated, etc,etc,The only Guinness I want is in a glass, oh believer in the slime.
You claim I am lame, however of the two of us, only I can demonstrate my position. Funny how life works, eh?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#72170 Jan 25, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So any religious cult is called a religious cult, because its based on religious idea...but a science cult that is based on scientific ideas is called what?....whatever you want to call it? It's a science cult plain and simple. You can't change the standard just because you don't like the implications.
There are no cults based on scientific ideas. If they were scientific ideas they would not be cults. They are therefore simply referred to as cults, whether they be religious or not.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#72171 Jan 25, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I still have not seen proof of any religiosity in the animal kingdom...like I said before,it virtually exist in all human cultures....so it should be easy to prove in evolutionary terms, if that be the case.
I'm not really buying this "animals can't communicate in abstract ideas..."
It should be readily apparent in nature, If this be the case.
I correct myself from my earlier posts, in that animals may be capable of abstract communication, but they are unable to communicate *complex* abstract ideas. There is an gorilla for example who has learned sign language, whether or not it's learned enough to grasp the concept of theism I don't know. But unfortunately it can't communicate it to other apes. But like I said, the concept of religion is explained in evolutionary terms as an extension of altruism, and it developed further from there.

It may be that in the future other species may develop the concept also. Only time will tell. Of course we don't know that dolphins and whales have not done so already. We're just not smart enough to understand their language.
drink The hive

New York, NY

#72172 Jan 25, 2013
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#72173 Jan 25, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, but these are elephants...such "rituals" would surely be more predominant in the great ape species...but I have heard of none at all.
They ARE more predominant in the great ape species.

Specifically, humans.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#72174 Jan 25, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
as far as I can see, it's just a fancy word for religiousness.
It seems science is trying to find out if it's some sort of chemical in the brain, so the pharmaceuticals companies can come up with a drug that counter acts its effects...lol
ALL concepts are the result of brain chemistry. Just not a specific bunch of chemicals.

Don't think you need to worry about any "atheist antibiotics" any time soon at any rate.

“I be me, and you are...”

Level 6

Since: Dec 06

in a city...

#72175 Jan 25, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
how so?...do you recycle?(lol)
Not sure how it is all that funny but ok, yeah try to recycle I suppose as much as one can sometimes I feel like f it, dump it into the trash...

Energy what about that if it is misused...

Or not used properly...

Level 6

in a city...

#72177 Jan 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim I am lame, however of the two of us, only I can demonstrate my position. Funny how life works, eh?
Demonstrate like a bit of it such as in a Demo...

Here though everyone can demonstratively place you in your position as well..so what's up with that...LIFE, as is to you may be what it is made up of...and you have nothing to say in it no part, then your place having demonstrated well nice to meet you in any case...

Maybe I don't know you no just kidding nice to meet you I can turn grumpy lately these days especially on the net...

Where do we put feelings in sense with it do many still put their feelings to their senses?

Level 6

in a city...

#72178 Jan 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL concepts are the result of brain chemistry. Just not a specific bunch of chemicals.
Don't think you need to worry about any "atheist antibiotics" any time soon at any rate.
How do you know that to what chemicals not a specific kind sort...

So what is this Christian talk having to cover one's self from that which believes in no outer world per say?

They most believe don't they that no force greater than shall be overpowering to what creation is or is not what matters that we are...
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

#72179 Jan 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
All humans are born with 125 to 175 mutations. Hominid fossils display clear evolutionary progression over the past 7 million years. Our closest modern cousins are chimps who share 98% of our DNA. Taking a look at fossil hominids over the past 7m years we observe that they start off with stooped posture, jutting out facial features and smaller craniums. As we observe the fossil record going further up the geological strata (forwards in time) we see a gradual reduction in facial features, more upright posture and an increase in cranial capacity. Meaning the characteristics become increasingly more similar to humans, just as evolution predicts.
As Darwin himself said at the time (which fundies love to point out) the fossil record at the time did not support the idea of hominid evolution and common ancestry. But since then the fossil record has vindicated his predictions:
Ardipithecus ramidus
Australopithecus anamensis
Australopithecus afarensis
Australopithecus africanus
Australopithecus garhi
Paranthropus aethiopicus
Paranthropus boisei
Paranthropus robustus
Homo habilis
Homo rudolfensis
Homo ergaster
Homo erectus
Homo heidelbergensis
Homo neanderthalensis
Homo sapiens
(list originally provided by Gillette on this thread here)
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/T9Q...
Here we have some more data on the cranial capacity of fossil hominids confirming all the above:
http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2006/09/f...
And some more information on fossil hominids over the past few million years:
http://darwiniana.org/hominid.htm
Calculations based on DNA mutation rates indicates common ancestry between humans and chimps approximately 6 million years ago. This again is consistent with the evolutionary progression in the fossil record, as demonstrated above. However even without the fossil record, using our DNA alone would still make common ancestry the only plausible scientific explanation for observed biological phenomena.
The creationist explanation?
Evolution is just a big evil worldwide evolutionist Darwinist atheist conspiracy involving hundreds of thousands of scientists, numerous governments across the world, including all major scientific organisations, as well as all the Liberal activist courts. Because Goddidit with magic (without evolution no way no how) because the Bible is true cuz the Bible sez so amen.
What causes evolution by the way?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#72180 Jan 25, 2013
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
What causes evolution by the way?
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/arti...
Adam and Steve

Kansas City, MO

#72181 Jan 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
2 questions: 1) Are humans alone in the universe or is there an advanced race out there. 2) Is the God/Jesus story true or a fable?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#72182 Jan 25, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
as far as I can see, it's just a fancy word for religiousness.
It seems science is trying to find out if it's some sort of chemical in the brain, so the pharmaceuticals companies can come up with a drug that counter acts its effects...lol
What if religiosity is really a symptom? lol
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

#72183 Jan 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
ALL concepts are the result of brain chemistry.
You suffering from foot-in-mouth disease.

If "ALL concepts are the result of brain chemistry", then scientific conceptions are no more valid than mythology as such.
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

#72185 Jan 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
What I have seen does not identify a cause of evolution.

I have seen an "If you have variation, differential reproduction, and heredity, you will have evolution by natural selection as an outcome. It is as simple as that.".

But thats horsesh!t.

To say "If you have variation, differential reproduction, and heredity, you will have evolution...", is not different from saying "if you have reproduction you will have evolution".

It is not different because production in itself involves "variation, differential reproduction, and heredity".

All they have accomplished is a redefinition of natural processes to suit their view of the natural world.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#72186 Jan 25, 2013
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen an "If you have variation, differential reproduction, and heredity, you will have evolution by natural selection as an outcome. It is as simple as that.".
But thats horsesh!t.
To say "If you have variation, differential reproduction, and heredity, you will have evolution...", is not different from saying "if you have reproduction you will have evolution".
It is not different because production in itself involves "variation, differential reproduction, and heredity".
All they have accomplished is a redefinition of natural processes to suit their view of the natural world.
You got one thing right. Evolution is pretty much unavoidable. Evolution is a natural process that is going to happen, once life begins.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#72187 Jan 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
God invented drugs. That's why he's omni-potent. lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potency_%28pharm...
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#72188 Jan 25, 2013
God Himself wrote:
<quoted text>
But thats horsesh!t.
No, it's not horse@hit. There's one simple assumption. Random mutation does not degrade the genome faster than propagation of the positive results of natural selection reinforces the strength of the genome. That's all it takes. Prove that such is not the case. Otherwise, the theory, but only the theory, is sound.
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

#72189 Jan 25, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You got one thing right. Evolution is pretty much unavoidable. Evolution is a natural process that is going to happen, once life begins.
Yeah, just like in all the other universe you created right?

You clown.

Whatever happened once life begins is a continuation of what was happening before life began.

So until you can say that evolution was a real phenomena before the beginning of time, I wont have you tell me it began any time after time.

Furthermore, you have no knowledge of what happened when life began.

All you they is mere speculation which hangs on THE LOGIC in their arguments, which we are gradually beginning to discover is absent.

Furthermore, didnt you hear that all concepts are influenced by brain chemistry?

Ask "The Dude".

All you have evidence of is the chemical process in your brain. Period.
God Himself

Kingston, Jamaica

#72190 Jan 25, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
God invented drugs. That's why he's omni-potent. lol
"A lot of truth is said in jest" (Eminem).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A six word game (Dec '08) 4 min Trouser Cough 17,962
Bill Cosby 10 min FTW Forever 198
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 22 min wichita-rick 151,074
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 26 min Trouser Cough 55,062
For Dear FlowerChild (Dec '07) 41 min Fisherman 808 24,035
Ferguson Grand Jury Reaches Decision 43 min ---Word Woman--- 146
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 44 min SUG here 4,057
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 49 min SUG here 8,042
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr COOTERDOG 23,978
Is SWEETIE-PIE In Love With GENO? 1 hr liarmouth 52