Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
67,561 - 67,580 of 114,472 Comments Last updated 16 min ago
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
that's bi-sexual. lol
Which involves at the very least partial homosexuality.

Wild Things made over $35Mil profit. And it put Neve and Denise in the same bed. I'd say that's positive!
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>You are a genius.
Yeah baby!
But of course. The Dude abides.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible is known to have errors and contradictions. But so are some scientific theories. The chronology in the creation story suggests that the theory of evolution could be the process how God created everything.
It's possible. But the chronology of the creation story claims plants before sunlight. That's just plain whacked.

So if one wants to take that route then best just to use scripture as very vague allegories instead.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Homosexuality in all its entirety is wrong, no matter how you paint it...
Genocide is wrong no matter how you paint it. But you call it things like "God's love" and "justice".

That's because fundies like yourself are incapable of genuine morality.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually pretty much every culture on earth has always said raising a child properly will (usually) result in a more morally upright person.
It didn't take the Bible to point out the obvious.
how would you explain the idea of "for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."

It's quite obvious that people return to dust...but everyone knows that people come from the womb...

This directly parallels the formation of the solar system and the development of life... from stardust, to the eventual destruction of the solar system... and the return to stardust.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say reliosity exists because humans are the only creatures on earth with the sentience to realise that their own death is inevitable, and what that means...while still carrying the impulse of millions of years of evolution to fear danger and death.
Creates a bit of a dilemma don't you think? Might be tempting for such a creature to try to rationalise his way out of it. Then add the ingredient of tying the outcome to good or bad behavior, and you have a potent combination. Doesn't make it true though.
If you read the article, it is a physical attribute of the brain, and not a conceptual one...so it would be a physical attribute of the evolutionary process...

“serious about music , love rap”

Since: Oct 12

Huntsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Hip hop? Just when ya thought creationism couldn't get any worse!

Thought it was bad enough when they started doing Christian rock.
Okay we'll that's my belief so if you wanna go against and try to prove me wrong, is there something wrong with Christian music?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
So the world is flat...just look outside...I mean China is beneath the US?!?! Hogwash...
Only a fool trusts his eyes, exclusively...only a moron listens to only himself...
Tell me: how much are ther dues at the FLat Earth Society these days.
Of course, only the Abrhamaic religions have one god/deity...it was 'self-evident' to 1000s of cultures throughout history there were MULTIPLE deities...
Too hilarious watching the flailing
The full statement was...

All things are evident unto themselves...only man requires evidence.

It's a philosophical concept...you wouldn't understand.
neutral observer

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Then if there is no intelligence guiding it, there is no intelligence in how the universe operates if there are no observers.

If an asteroid blew up the Earth, the universe would still exist and operate in the same manner even if we are not here to observe it. It would remain by and large unaffected.
?????

From the orbit of electrons to the orbit of clusters of galaxies the universe follows certain basic laws. The complexity of our DNA is not due to our observation of it. There is an ordered intelligence in everything around us.

There is an intelligence to the universe whether anyone intelligent is observing it or not.

Physicists only study the process... they do not make it so.

The arrogance to suggest there is order in the universe because we are here to record it.

You think... therefor the universe is?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
?????
From the orbit of electrons to the orbit of clusters of galaxies the universe follows certain basic laws. The complexity of our DNA is not due to our observation of it. There is an ordered intelligence in everything around us.
There is an intelligence to the universe whether anyone intelligent is observing it or not.
Physicists only study the process... they do not make it so.
The arrogance to suggest there is order in the universe because we are here to record it.
You think... therefor the universe is?
actually their thought precess behind this is...

They think...therefore the universe is...therefore our thinking creates the universe...therefore we are gods.

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

GatorBUILT wrote:
So the world is flat...just look outside...I mean China is beneath the US?!?!
Yup.
I'm having a terrible time holding on.
I could fall off any minute.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
It would seem that if we were so closely related as implied by the evolution theory, then religiosity would be readily apparent in the animal kingdom. I cannot even think of one example...can you?

Dude replyed:
They lack the ability to communicate in abstract forms.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
xxxooxxx wrote:
It would seem that if we were so closely related as implied by the evolution theory, then religiosity would be readily apparent in the animal kingdom. I cannot even think of one example...can you?
Dude replyed:
They lack the ability to communicate in abstract forms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =SNogdpHeuiEXX
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't help it if people find me cute. lol ;-)
http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/22/1...
...Researchers told the participants that this was a study of motor activity and memory, and then gave the subjects sheets of bubble wrap. The participants were instructed to pop as many or as few bubbles as they wanted, just as long as they were doing something involving motion.

In fact, the researchers really wanted to know if people would respond to cute animals with an outward display of aggression, popping more bubbles, compared with people looking at neutral or funny animals.

That's exactly what happened. The people watching a cute slideshow popped 120 bubbles, on average, compared with 80 for the funny slideshow and just a hair over 100 for the neutral one.

Dyer said she and her colleagues aren't yet sure why cuteness seems to trigger expressions of aggression, even relatively harmless ones. It's possible that seeing a wide-eyed baby or roly-poly pup triggers our drive to care for that creature, Dyer said. But since the animal is just a picture, and since even in real life we might not be able to care for the creature as much as we want, this urge may be frustrated, she said. That frustration could lead to aggression.

"cuteness seems to trigger expressions of aggression..."

Are these really tensions of aggression?

Or maybe tensions of joy....as in "jumping for joy?"

just a thought.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>...Researchers told the participants that this was a study of motor activity and memory, and then gave the subjects sheets of bubble wrap. The participants were instructed to pop as many or as few bubbles as they wanted, just as long as they were doing something involving motion.

In fact, the researchers really wanted to know if people would respond to cute animals with an outward display of aggression, popping more bubbles, compared with people looking at neutral or funny animals.

That's exactly what happened. The people watching a cute slideshow popped 120 bubbles, on average, compared with 80 for the funny slideshow and just a hair over 100 for the neutral one.

Dyer said she and her colleagues aren't yet sure why cuteness seems to trigger expressions of aggression, even relatively harmless ones. It's possible that seeing a wide-eyed baby or roly-poly pup triggers our drive to care for that creature, Dyer said. But since the animal is just a picture, and since even in real life we might not be able to care for the creature as much as we want, this urge may be frustrated, she said. That frustration could lead to aggression.

"cuteness seems to trigger expressions of aggression..."

Are these really tensions of aggression?

Or maybe tensions of joy....as in "jumping for joy?"

just a thought.
Color me skeptical as to their conclusion(s).

Popping bubbles = "aggressivness"?!?!

Really?!?!

Me? A hatchet through the head of Raggity Anne would be a better sign of aggressive behavior.

Just sayin'.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

GatorBUILT wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly: YOU DON'T KNOW...and your CONSTSNAT goal=post movement makes ZERO difference to reality...sooooooo...next hollow response...
I mean really..."cloudlike" are you f@#$ing serious!... and trying to REDEFINE a word to fit YOUR silliness!?!?!?!?Are you listenking to yourself you MORON...move along boy, adults are trying to get things done...move along, chucklehead...all your anthropomorphic delusions are hilarious...just hilarious...maybe yahweh was a horse's ass, eh!
Why do you think I am redefining th word "image" when it very well could mean reflection? The Creator of the universe made man in his own image and likeness and if Adam and Eve had not disobeyed his word to them, I believe they could have lived forever.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you think I am redefining th word "image" when it very well could mean reflection? The Creator of the universe made man in his own image and likeness and if Adam and Eve had not disobeyed his word to them, I believe they could have lived forever.
Yes with Adams sin he brought Sin and death into the world. Before Adams sin nothing died. There was no death in the world.

Boy is he having a hissy fit or what.
neutral observer

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you think I am redefining th word "image" when it very well could mean reflection? The Creator of the universe made man in his own image and likeness and if Adam and Eve had not disobeyed his word to them, I believe they could have lived forever.
According to the Bible everyone has eternal life anyway. The only difference is the accomidations.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

I believe God so loved the world that he sent his beloved Son into the world so that whosoever will believe his word can inherit eternal life.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Other than freedom from and of religion, I don't really have a political case. Evolution isn't Liberal or Conservative. It simply is. Just like water boiling doesn't depend on who you vote for. Reality is simply reality.
<quoted text>
I don't worry about other people quotemining me, in fact it's happened to me on these forums before.
<quoted text>
I use actual science to back myself up. But since the fundies mostly only use soundbites, they only need be countered by other soundbites.
So basically I do what I feel like.:-)
Then your karma will haunt you or your politics will point out your lack of candor.....or both. Train wrecks are our spec-ee-ality!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••