Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 3,376)

Showing posts 67,501 - 67,520 of106,009
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Now I just lost interest in this thread

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure the people who wrote the bible smoked marijuana plant and mushrooms or other natural hallucinogens aka burning bush. Even tribes, Native Indians, or shamans did it. Religion is a result of delusional beliefs caused by altered consciousness.
But of course it's the chosen elites with their delusions who have the authority to subjugate people into following their religions. It's because they hold power and secret knowledge. But the fact is, the truth is out there.
What we need is Science to explain "religiosity"
"Neuroscientists are uncovering interesting correlations between religiosity, the tendency to feel anxiety and the function of serotonin in the brain."
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-brai...
And now we just have to deal with both Science and Religion with equal importance. They both play a critical role for survival.
So "religiosity" would be a natural construct of the human mind that transcends all ancient and present day cultures...what purpose would it serve in terms of evolution?...surly not one of evolutionary survival.

"religiosity" would seem to me, to be directly related to a higher perception of reality....

No mention of great apes, or monkeys, or any animal for that matter in this article practicing religiosity....why?

It would seem that if we were so closely related as implied by the evolution theory, then religiosity would be readily apparent in the animal kingdom. I cannot even think of one example...can you?

( The praying mantis might be an exception...but I don't think that would that really count?....do you?...lol

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> I reject that in Jesus name, amen!
The bible says, train up a child in the ways he or she will grow(give him or her the right morals) and they will never depart or deviate from that.
Wow.

It's just that easy, huh?

[/SARCASM]

You're so clueless I'm embarrassed for you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting how you can justify this post considering most creationists on here are liars for Jesus. Especially in light of Maz's recent tirade of ignoring rebuttals and repeating debunked arguments and SEVERE internal inconsistency.
I admit I'm not polite to liars for Jesus. But then, neither is reality.(shrug)
That's a subjective argument from your point of view....the question was directed at me...I gave an honest opinion from what posts I read.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Islamic Scientist wrote:
<quoted text>
i don't think so.. see it as linked-system each others.. its designed perfecly..'not coincidental'
how the universe always keep in balance all of things all the time without designed?
If it was balanced, there would be no change, which means there would be no you.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Homosexuality is wrong, it should not be a thing our children and wards to know about. It is unhealthy and wrong perversive practise.
Yes we know, you're gay and in the closet. Next topic now, it's getting old.
neutral observer

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not 'morally right' to extend the same legal rights to EVERYONE, regardless of race, creed, color or sexual persuasion?
Does your creed believe in anarchy, terrorism or cutting out still beating human hearts and is your sexual persuasion bestuiality or pedophilia?

To suggest we grant equal rights to all creeds and sexual persuasions is...

In truth people should keep what they do in the bedroom in the bedroom. The very idea that they need to broadcast it to the world... violates everyone else's right to be left alone.

Who wants to hear about some guy they work with and his sexual fantasies anyway? There is an inherent right to privacy.
neutral observer

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
If it was balanced, there would be no change, which means there would be no you.
If it were not balanced there would be utter chaos. We live in an ordered universe which follows basic laws. Physics is the scientific study of those laws.

If the universe were not orderly... would anything last long enough for advanced life to evolve?
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, but what's your point. Even the evolution of DNA would have to be based on an environment conducive to creating self-replicating molecules. Would you call it life? Not by modern standards. Only the combination of the self-replication in DNA when combined with the functionality of a membranous structure that can contain proteins manufactured by DNA, do we have what we call life.
The same conditions are at work. The environment had to first occur to create membranes and DNA. The two had to combine and start to exploit each others abilities. None of this happened overnight, but over a portion of Earth's 4 billion year history. The existence of life has only been documented over the last 600 million of those 4 billion years. That's 600 million years to get from bacteria to humanity, and about 5 times as long to get from a rocky planet in a new solar system to those bacteria.
Probability regarding abiogenesis and Evolution has been addressed. Irrefutable proof isn't going to happen. It's just a question of whether or not you would rather have an ordinary truth or a fantastic lie that puts you above the natural world that you depend on for life.
You can call it a faith or a simple preference of logic but I don't see any reason to give credibility to a deity that does not make its presence known. That only convinces me of the voyeuristic nature of its followers.
It happened at the command of the Creator and the universe and the earth did not take billions of years to answer to his word.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your creed believe in anarchy, terrorism or cutting out still beating human hearts and is your sexual persuasion bestuiality or pedophilia?
In truth people should keep what they do in the bedroom in the bedroom. The very idea that they need to broadcast it to the world... violates everyone else's right to be left alone.
Who wants to hear about some guy they work with and his sexual fantasies anyway? There is an inherent right to privacy.
Genesis 8:21

"for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth...."

( I agree...just a biblical parallel that came to mind )
neutral observer

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
Personal experience/observation/observa tion doesn't count as evidence toward the existence of anything, if it can't be made objective.
Or did you not realize that you've identified no way to distinguish between wishful thinking and reality?
<quoted text>

From *merely* my personal experience and observations? No.

From a logical evaluation of what should qualify as reliable evidence. Yes.
Personal observation means everything. We accept the fact that we live in an expanding universe and that its expansion is speeding up not because of the math but because that is what our observations tell us.

Newton believed in perfectly circular orbits for the planets yet he knew Galileo saw that was not how the universe operated so Newton created a new math to explain what telescopes could see what was happening.

We accept the dinosaurs existed because we have seen their bones.

Darwin reached his conclusions through observation.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
If it were not balanced there would be utter chaos. We live in an ordered universe which follows basic laws. Physics is the scientific study of those laws.
If the universe were not orderly... would anything last long enough for advanced life to evolve?
There is utter chaos. The stars are the embodiment of that chaos. The laws are simply observed recurrences. Also, nothing lasts that long. You think billions of years is a long time, to the universe it's a blink of an eye.

Planets are the result of chemicals going through very chaotic changes, predictable but still chaotic. These settle into the less chaotic versions of the atoms, still chaotic down in the core though. Physics is making sense of that chaos, understanding it, and learning to predict it, it is not the study of balance at all.

Without chaos there would be no change, without change nothing would exist.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
With all due respect, I think you knew where I was going with my post. To suggest otherwise is ignorant.
neutral observer

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
There is utter chaos. The stars are the embodiment of that chaos. The laws are simply observed recurrences. Also, nothing lasts that long. You think billions of years is a long time, to the universe it's a blink of an eye.
Planets are the result of chemicals going through very chaotic changes, predictable but still chaotic. These settle into the less chaotic versions of the atoms, still chaotic down in the core though. Physics is making sense of that chaos, understanding it, and learning to predict it, it is not the study of balance at all.
Without chaos there would be no change, without change nothing would exist.
From electrons orbiting an atom to groups of galaxies orbiting one another there is an order in pretty much everything. Where is this chaos of which you speak?

Without order the universe would not exist.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Can't have order without chaos...or chaos without order.

...relative terms.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
From electrons orbiting an atom to groups of galaxies orbiting one another there is an order in pretty much everything. Where is this chaos of which you speak?
Without order the universe would not exist.
Stars exploding. Planets crashing into each other. Black holes swallowing whole galaxies. When two galaxies collide it's a massive mess and nothing but chaos. Are you blind?

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wasting your time arguing with the Deluded One. He belongs to a cult that *worships* Chaos.

What else would you expect from a raw-boned man in a dress?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>You are wasting your time arguing with the Deluded One. He belongs to a cult that *worships* Chaos.
What else would you expect from a raw-boned man in a dress?
Oh yeah, still waiting for the evidence to your assertion here, or are you going to admit you are just lying?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a subjective argument from your point of view....the question was directed at me...I gave an honest opinion from what posts I read.
As did I. The difference being the facts support my case. When I'm being subjective I'll let people know.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

xxxooxxx wrote:
So "religiosity" would be a natural construct of the human mind that transcends all ancient and present day cultures...what purpose would it serve in terms of evolution?...surly not one of evolutionary survival.
Actually yes, one of evolutionary survival - develop a set of cultural practices encouraging others to participate. Co-operation leads to survival advantages. Those who do not involve themselves in any of those groups may be considered an outcast and be at a survival disadvantage.

This is the very reason why religions exist today, despite having a lack of scientific evidence to back them up.
xxxooxxx wrote:
"religiosity" would seem to me, to be directly related to a higher perception of reality....
Your personal subjective opinion is irrelevant.
xxxooxxx wrote:
No mention of great apes, or monkeys, or any animal for that matter in this article practicing religiosity....why?
They lack the ability to communicate in abstract forms.
xxxooxxx wrote:
It would seem that if we were so closely related as implied by the evolution theory, then religiosity would be readily apparent in the animal kingdom. I cannot even think of one example...can you?
It would seem that way only to the incredulous. It is even quite possible that some apes may have religious ideas of their own, but they unfortunately aren't able to communicate their ideas to their brethren. Dolphins might however, but their language is simply far too complex for humans to understand.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 67,501 - 67,520 of106,009
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••