Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 172002 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#71809 Jan 23, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*sigh*
The word you're aiming at is "altAr".
And the Pyramids were, in fact, tombs for the Pharaohs.
Look something up, willya?
You got me on the word altar,but the pyramids were religious elevated altars.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#71810 Jan 23, 2013
Nimrod/Marduk built cities and altars abroad as well.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#71811 Jan 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>"Being" blonde or left-handed is not a behavior.
But hair color and left/right handedness are....along with sexual identity....natural occurances.

Assuming you're straight (as am I), when did you "choose" to be straight?

Orlando

#71812 Jan 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>A brief burst of intellect in a few individuals followed by many centuries of decadence is not my idea of a brilliant culture. Maybe if their ancient philosophers hadn't indulged in exploiting boys for sex, they wouldn't have fallen,(culturally?), quite so early (and deeply) in the annals of history.
(pun intended)
:)
Most ancient,*advanced* cultures found homosexuality extremely distasteful.
Ancient Romans apparently didn't.

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/1367/...
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#71813 Jan 23, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so lets say the tax treatment for married couples is fixed so that its perfectly fair for married and single people.
What difference does it make if some of the married ones are knob/slot, slot/slot, or knob/knob? How does it affect marriage in general?
Interesting question, but first tell me how you're going to make it fair.

Sorry, your wording has shown significant prejudice and an invitation to bullying. Been there, done that.

Would you feel any better if a Creationist asked you to assume that a deity was meddling in our prehistory and speculate from there? You'd be giving that person legitimacy they have not earned.

Time for a long spiel:

I kind of like to reference the comic story "The Watchmen" to try to put this debate on equal footing. That is a story about superheros that was made in the 1980's Dark Horse years. It takes place in a parallel reality where superheros really do exist and have altered history in a bizarre way. At first they were heroes, but became hated by the public for their anonymity and vigilantism.

This forum environment is the natural playground for the character called "the Comedian". The Comedian is a bully who has turned his bad habit into something he can pretend to be proud of, but as the story progresses, we see that he and his alter-ego largely consider the problems of the real world "a joke". Even as he cries inside, he lets that "joke" aspect rule his life. At the beginning of the story, he dies at the hand of another superhero and the whole story proceeds from there, narrated by another character called "Rorschach" who puts the dark Jungian spin on everything.

At the end, we find that the Comedian considered his arch-nemesis his only thing close to a friend. His only lasting achievement was to father a superhero daughter, but through a nasty act of raping another superhero in one of his "just a joke" moments. The mother won't even let the daughter talk to him.

Now, I'm not one to bother with policing morality in a forum where egos go unchecked. I do it a bit anyway, but I like to think that I put a bit more of a moral into my confrontations than "just a joke" rationalization.

The question is, are you acting out the part an invulnerable superhero who wants to be loved as if he is mortal and vulnerable, or are you slowly getting dragged along to your own final conclusion? A joke that you claim is easy to walk away from, like life itself?

It's a very good movie, although far too subtle for the slugfest-and-special-effects audience. Personally, I don't think that any of the characters represent real people, but rather, facets of every person. The darkest element of the story is that it really does reduce the pop-culture of the last one hundred years down to a rather simple machine whereby people expend themselves on the politics of the moment, which tend to mean nothing a few short years later. They even throw in a bit of Andy Warhol so your politics has its 15 minutes of fame too!(Just a joke!) ;)

This aspect of the debate has not run its course to my satisfaction. A person can walk away, in which case, I've repeatedly shown that I would too. A person can maintain their fixation. If so, I have certain scenarios to propose because I want to see the results, and it doesn't matter to me that I may have a bit of politics of my own. After all, the world is not about absolutes in perfect harmony. It takes a team of superheroes to battle crime!

....or perhaps it takes a team to hide the darker side of their vigilantism?

I'm here to learn things and sometimes that means playing with people's heads. If you don't like to be played with, transcend the game. The only way it will conclude by my silence will be when I get bored, or censored by Topix, but I'm not going to do anything heinous to give anyone their illusion of just cause. All I can say is "Deal with it!"
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#71814 Jan 23, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so lets say the tax treatment for married couples is fixed so that its perfectly fair for married and single people.
What difference does it make if some of the married ones are knob/slot, slot/slot, or knob/knob? How does it affect marriage in general?
Interesting question, but first tell me how you're going to make it fair.

Sorry, your wording has shown significant prejudice and an invitation to bullying. Been there, done that.

Would you feel any better if a Creationist asked you to assume that a deity was meddling in our prehistory and speculate from there? You'd be giving that person legitimacy they have not earned.

Time for a long spiel:

I kind of like to reference the comic story "The Watchmen" to try to put this debate on equal footing. That is a story about superheros that was made in the 1980's Dark Horse years. It takes place in a parallel reality where superheros really do exist and have altered history in a bizarre way. At first they were heroes, but became hated by the public for their anonymity and vigilantism.

This forum environment is the natural playground for the character called "the Comedian". The Comedian is a bully who has turned his bad habit into something he can pretend to be proud of, but as the story progresses, we see that he and his alter-ego largely consider the problems of the real world "a joke". Even as he cries inside, he lets that "joke" aspect rule his life. At the beginning of the story, he dies at the hand of another superhero and the whole story proceeds from there, narrated by another character called "Rorschach" who puts the dark Jungian spin on everything.

At the end, we find that the Comedian considered his arch-nemesis his only thing close to a friend. His only lasting achievement was to father a superhero daughter, but through a nasty act of raping another superhero in one of his "just a joke" moments. The mother won't even let the daughter talk to him.

Now, I'm not one to bother with policing morality in a forum where egos go unchecked. I do it a bit anyway, but I like to think that I put a bit more of a moral into my confrontations than "just a joke" rationalization.

The question is, are you acting out the part an invulnerable superhero who wants to be loved as if he is mortal and vulnerable, or are you slowly getting dragged along to your own final conclusion? A joke that you claim is easy to walk away from, like life itself?

It's a very good movie, although far too subtle for the slugfest-and-special-effects audience. Personally, I don't think that any of the characters represent real people, but rather, facets of every person. The darkest element of the story is that it really does reduce the pop-culture of the last one hundred years down to a rather simple machine whereby people expend themselves on the politics of the moment, which tend to mean nothing a few short years later. They even throw in a bit of Andy Warhol so your politics has its 15 minutes of fame too!(Just a joke!) ;)

This aspect of the debate has not run its course to my satisfaction. A person can walk away, in which case, I've repeatedly shown that I would too. A person can maintain their fixation. If so, I have certain scenarios to propose because I want to see the results, and it doesn't matter to me that I may have a bit of politics of my own. After all, the world is not about absolutes in perfect harmony. It takes a team of superheroes to battle crime!

....or perhaps it takes a team to hide the darker side of their vigilantism?

I'm here to learn things and sometimes that means playing with people's heads. If you don't like to be played with, transcend the game. The only way it will conclude by my silence will be when I get bored, or censored by Topix, but I'm not going to do anything heinous to give anyone their illusion of just cause. All I can say is "Deal with it!"

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#71815 Jan 23, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ancient Romans apparently didn't.
http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/1367/...
And Rome, also, fell.

Location hidden

#71816 Jan 23, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming you're straight (as am I), when did you "choose" to be straight?
Every time I blew off a lizzy's advances; that's "when".

Orlando

#71817 Jan 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>And Rome, also, fell.
ALL of the 'ancient civilizations' have fallen.

We get it. You dont like gay people and think they should be denied civil rights.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#71818 Jan 23, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>That is just disgusting... I never understood how people could get into bestiality.
Oh.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#71819 Jan 23, 2013
Combat-Wombat-88 wrote:
<quoted text>
NO you fail at life
The world was obviously created 200 years ago by pirate space aliens. Duh!
Zombie pirate space aliens.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#71820 Jan 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
WORK or the Whole Organizational Range of KInds theory is an orgainzational theory which is an explanation of how ecological systems work in relation to SCP concept.
If you honestly believe this, you're stupid.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#71821 Jan 23, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*sigh*
The word you're aiming at is "altAr".
And the Pyramids were, in fact, tombs for the Pharaohs.
Look something up, willya?
I do believe that Free was talking about the pyramids in Mexico. Those were not tombs, as far as I know, and could be described as altars. Of course they altered a few people on them too :^D

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#71822 Jan 23, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure the people who wrote the bible smoked marijuana plant and mushrooms or other natural hallucinogens aka burning bush. Even tribes, Native Indians, or shamans did it. Religion is a result of delusional beliefs caused by altered consciousness.
But of course it's the chosen elites with their delusions who have the authority to subjugate people into following their religions. It's because they hold power and secret knowledge. But the fact is, the truth is out there.
What we need is Science to explain "religiosity"
"Neuroscientists are uncovering interesting correlations between religiosity, the tendency to feel anxiety and the function of serotonin in the brain."
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-brai...
And now we just have to deal with both Science and Religion with equal importance. They both play a critical role for survival.
Working on it.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#71823 Jan 23, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Gay people can only produce children if they get married or have intercourse with the opposite sex.
What is wrong is wrong, homosexuality is wrong!!!
Is it this difficult for you to think?

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#71824 Jan 23, 2013
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> You have no case in this regard.
English started and developed without extinction in England.
False.

Location hidden

#71825 Jan 23, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL of the 'ancient civilizations' have fallen.
We get it. You dont like gay people and think they should be denied civil rights.
They already have all the rights that I do, and more. One of the rights they shouldn't be allowed is adopting innocent children.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#71826 Jan 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>It is true and if you look hard enough you will find the truth.
It that real truth or religious truth, i.e. belief?

If you educate yourself you will find fact

Orlando

#71827 Jan 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>They already have all the rights that I do, and more. One of the rights they shouldn't be allowed is adopting innocent children.
I think if you ask what rights that members of the LGB community have that you DONT have, you would be educated otherwise.

Research has show that children of same-sex couples are as well-adjusted psychologically as children of 'normal' family structures.

From the American Psychological Association:

http://www.apa.org/about/policy/parenting.asp...

"Research suggests that sexual identities (including gender identity, gender-role behavior, and sexual orientation) develop in much the same ways among children of lesbian mothers as they do among children of heterosexual parents (Patterson, 2004a). Studies of other aspects of personal development (including personality, self-concept, and conduct) similarly reveal few differences between children of lesbian mothers and children of heterosexual parents (Perrin, 2002; Stacey & Biblarz, 2001; Tasker, 1999). However, few data regarding these concerns are available for children of gay fathers (Patterson, 2004b). Evidence also suggests that children of lesbian and gay parents have normal social relationships with peers and adults (Patterson, 2000, 2004a; Perrin, 2002; Stacey & Biblarz, 2001; Tasker, 1999; Tasker & Golombok, 1997). The picture that emerges from research is one of general engagement in social life with peers, parents, family members, and friends. Fears about children of lesbian or gay parents being sexually abused by adults, ostracized by peers, or isolated in single-sex lesbian or gay communities have received no scientific support. Overall, results of research suggest that the development, adjustment, and well-being of children with lesbian and gay parents do not differ markedly from that of children with heterosexual parents."

<<end cut/paste>>

I am straight, and I still get the 'willies' should I encounter a gay couple in public. But I try to put that out of my mind, as it is NONE OF MY BUSINESS what these people do in the privacy of their own homes.

Any more than it is my business what YOU do in YOUR home.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#71828 Jan 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I've seen a couple of wasted creatures....
http://www.livescience.com/26398-image-galler...
...and I've heard of some people getting pets high on herb.
LOL. I love herbs ;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 min CJ Rocker 167,304
only TWO words! (Nov '08) 11 min Brandiiiiiiii 25,734
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 11 min Brandiiiiiiii 19,201
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 11 min Brandiiiiiiii 10,201
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 14 min Brandiiiiiiii 2,433
News Runaway rail car kicked loose by teen hits New ... 14 min Xstain Mullah Aroma 5
Word Association. (Nov '10) 14 min Brandiiiiiiii 17,652
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 18 min 40ish 12,758
Last Word is First Word (no "breast" word please) 33 min Brick 202
Dedicate a song (Jul '08) 1 hr Mister_ E 16,065
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 2 hr KNIGHT DeVINE 9,360
More from around the web