Evolution vs. Creation

Jan 6, 2011 Read more: Best of New Orleans 159,219
High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Read more

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#71800 Jan 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>They are alters to the heavens and the priest began to worship the creation rather than the Creator and God confounded them to stop them from learning any more about the universe.
Put

down

the

crack

pipe.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#71801 Jan 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>It is true and if you look hard enough you will find the truth.
No. It is wrong. Period.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#71802 Jan 23, 2013
RappinRollerCoaster wrote:
Creation all the way, and hip hop.
The Pussycat Dolls and the Backstreet Boys were Created.

Real music evolved.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#71803 Jan 23, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So "religiosity" would be a natural construct of the human mind that transcends all ancient and present day cultures...what purpose would it serve in terms of evolution?...surly not one of evolutionary survival.
"religiosity" would seem to me, to be directly related to a higher perception of reality....
No mention of great apes, or monkeys, or any animal for that matter in this article practicing religiosity....why?
It would seem that if we were so closely related as implied by the evolution theory, then religiosity would be readily apparent in the animal kingdom. I cannot even think of one example...can you?
( The praying mantis might be an exception...but I don't think that would that really count?....do you?...lol
I would say reliosity exists because humans are the only creatures on earth with the sentience to realise that their own death is inevitable, and what that means...while still carrying the impulse of millions of years of evolution to fear danger and death.

Creates a bit of a dilemma don't you think? Might be tempting for such a creature to try to rationalise his way out of it. Then add the ingredient of tying the outcome to good or bad behavior, and you have a potent combination. Doesn't make it true though.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#71804 Jan 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>They are alters to the heavens and the priest began to worship the creation rather than the Creator and God confounded them to stop them from learning any more about the universe.
*sigh*

The word you're aiming at is "altAr".

And the Pyramids were, in fact, tombs for the Pharaohs.

Look something up, willya?

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#71806 Jan 23, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps its just coincidence that one of the most gay accepting cultures in the world, the ancient Greek, was also just about the most brilliant and creative culture we have ever seen on earth.
A brief burst of intellect in a few individuals followed by many centuries of decadence is not my idea of a brilliant culture. Maybe if their ancient philosophers hadn't indulged in exploiting boys for sex, they wouldn't have fallen,(culturally?), quite so early (and deeply) in the annals of history.

(pun intended)

:)

Most ancient,*advanced* cultures found homosexuality extremely distasteful.

Location hidden

#71807 Jan 23, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say reliosity exists because humans are the only creatures on earth with the sentience to realise that their own death is inevitable, and what that means...while still carrying the impulse of millions of years of evolution to fear danger and death.
Creates a bit of a dilemma don't you think? Might be tempting for such a creature to try to rationalise his way out of it. Then add the ingredient of tying the outcome to good or bad behavior, and you have a potent combination. Doesn't make it true though.
I believe that all of the smaller, prey animals know that death lurks at every turn. I doubt that any other creature, on pondering the supernatural, would ever reach the conclusion that the existence of the inexplicable was to ensure "their" immortality.

Location hidden

#71808 Jan 23, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor do people who are left-handed.
Or Blonde.
Etc.
Except when the OTHER qualities these individuls possess other than their dexterity, hair color, or sexual identity are not considered.
"Being" blonde or left-handed is not a behavior.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#71809 Jan 23, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>*sigh*
The word you're aiming at is "altAr".
And the Pyramids were, in fact, tombs for the Pharaohs.
Look something up, willya?
You got me on the word altar,but the pyramids were religious elevated altars.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#71810 Jan 23, 2013
Nimrod/Marduk built cities and altars abroad as well.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#71811 Jan 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>"Being" blonde or left-handed is not a behavior.
But hair color and left/right handedness are....along with sexual identity....natural occurances.

Assuming you're straight (as am I), when did you "choose" to be straight?

Orlando

#71812 Jan 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>A brief burst of intellect in a few individuals followed by many centuries of decadence is not my idea of a brilliant culture. Maybe if their ancient philosophers hadn't indulged in exploiting boys for sex, they wouldn't have fallen,(culturally?), quite so early (and deeply) in the annals of history.
(pun intended)
:)
Most ancient,*advanced* cultures found homosexuality extremely distasteful.
Ancient Romans apparently didn't.

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/1367/...
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#71813 Jan 23, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so lets say the tax treatment for married couples is fixed so that its perfectly fair for married and single people.
What difference does it make if some of the married ones are knob/slot, slot/slot, or knob/knob? How does it affect marriage in general?
Interesting question, but first tell me how you're going to make it fair.

Sorry, your wording has shown significant prejudice and an invitation to bullying. Been there, done that.

Would you feel any better if a Creationist asked you to assume that a deity was meddling in our prehistory and speculate from there? You'd be giving that person legitimacy they have not earned.

Time for a long spiel:

I kind of like to reference the comic story "The Watchmen" to try to put this debate on equal footing. That is a story about superheros that was made in the 1980's Dark Horse years. It takes place in a parallel reality where superheros really do exist and have altered history in a bizarre way. At first they were heroes, but became hated by the public for their anonymity and vigilantism.

This forum environment is the natural playground for the character called "the Comedian". The Comedian is a bully who has turned his bad habit into something he can pretend to be proud of, but as the story progresses, we see that he and his alter-ego largely consider the problems of the real world "a joke". Even as he cries inside, he lets that "joke" aspect rule his life. At the beginning of the story, he dies at the hand of another superhero and the whole story proceeds from there, narrated by another character called "Rorschach" who puts the dark Jungian spin on everything.

At the end, we find that the Comedian considered his arch-nemesis his only thing close to a friend. His only lasting achievement was to father a superhero daughter, but through a nasty act of raping another superhero in one of his "just a joke" moments. The mother won't even let the daughter talk to him.

Now, I'm not one to bother with policing morality in a forum where egos go unchecked. I do it a bit anyway, but I like to think that I put a bit more of a moral into my confrontations than "just a joke" rationalization.

The question is, are you acting out the part an invulnerable superhero who wants to be loved as if he is mortal and vulnerable, or are you slowly getting dragged along to your own final conclusion? A joke that you claim is easy to walk away from, like life itself?

It's a very good movie, although far too subtle for the slugfest-and-special-effects audience. Personally, I don't think that any of the characters represent real people, but rather, facets of every person. The darkest element of the story is that it really does reduce the pop-culture of the last one hundred years down to a rather simple machine whereby people expend themselves on the politics of the moment, which tend to mean nothing a few short years later. They even throw in a bit of Andy Warhol so your politics has its 15 minutes of fame too!(Just a joke!) ;)

This aspect of the debate has not run its course to my satisfaction. A person can walk away, in which case, I've repeatedly shown that I would too. A person can maintain their fixation. If so, I have certain scenarios to propose because I want to see the results, and it doesn't matter to me that I may have a bit of politics of my own. After all, the world is not about absolutes in perfect harmony. It takes a team of superheroes to battle crime!

....or perhaps it takes a team to hide the darker side of their vigilantism?

I'm here to learn things and sometimes that means playing with people's heads. If you don't like to be played with, transcend the game. The only way it will conclude by my silence will be when I get bored, or censored by Topix, but I'm not going to do anything heinous to give anyone their illusion of just cause. All I can say is "Deal with it!"
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#71814 Jan 23, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so lets say the tax treatment for married couples is fixed so that its perfectly fair for married and single people.
What difference does it make if some of the married ones are knob/slot, slot/slot, or knob/knob? How does it affect marriage in general?
Interesting question, but first tell me how you're going to make it fair.

Sorry, your wording has shown significant prejudice and an invitation to bullying. Been there, done that.

Would you feel any better if a Creationist asked you to assume that a deity was meddling in our prehistory and speculate from there? You'd be giving that person legitimacy they have not earned.

Time for a long spiel:

I kind of like to reference the comic story "The Watchmen" to try to put this debate on equal footing. That is a story about superheros that was made in the 1980's Dark Horse years. It takes place in a parallel reality where superheros really do exist and have altered history in a bizarre way. At first they were heroes, but became hated by the public for their anonymity and vigilantism.

This forum environment is the natural playground for the character called "the Comedian". The Comedian is a bully who has turned his bad habit into something he can pretend to be proud of, but as the story progresses, we see that he and his alter-ego largely consider the problems of the real world "a joke". Even as he cries inside, he lets that "joke" aspect rule his life. At the beginning of the story, he dies at the hand of another superhero and the whole story proceeds from there, narrated by another character called "Rorschach" who puts the dark Jungian spin on everything.

At the end, we find that the Comedian considered his arch-nemesis his only thing close to a friend. His only lasting achievement was to father a superhero daughter, but through a nasty act of raping another superhero in one of his "just a joke" moments. The mother won't even let the daughter talk to him.

Now, I'm not one to bother with policing morality in a forum where egos go unchecked. I do it a bit anyway, but I like to think that I put a bit more of a moral into my confrontations than "just a joke" rationalization.

The question is, are you acting out the part an invulnerable superhero who wants to be loved as if he is mortal and vulnerable, or are you slowly getting dragged along to your own final conclusion? A joke that you claim is easy to walk away from, like life itself?

It's a very good movie, although far too subtle for the slugfest-and-special-effects audience. Personally, I don't think that any of the characters represent real people, but rather, facets of every person. The darkest element of the story is that it really does reduce the pop-culture of the last one hundred years down to a rather simple machine whereby people expend themselves on the politics of the moment, which tend to mean nothing a few short years later. They even throw in a bit of Andy Warhol so your politics has its 15 minutes of fame too!(Just a joke!) ;)

This aspect of the debate has not run its course to my satisfaction. A person can walk away, in which case, I've repeatedly shown that I would too. A person can maintain their fixation. If so, I have certain scenarios to propose because I want to see the results, and it doesn't matter to me that I may have a bit of politics of my own. After all, the world is not about absolutes in perfect harmony. It takes a team of superheroes to battle crime!

....or perhaps it takes a team to hide the darker side of their vigilantism?

I'm here to learn things and sometimes that means playing with people's heads. If you don't like to be played with, transcend the game. The only way it will conclude by my silence will be when I get bored, or censored by Topix, but I'm not going to do anything heinous to give anyone their illusion of just cause. All I can say is "Deal with it!"

Location hidden

#71815 Jan 23, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ancient Romans apparently didn't.
http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/1367/...
And Rome, also, fell.

Location hidden

#71816 Jan 23, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming you're straight (as am I), when did you "choose" to be straight?
Every time I blew off a lizzy's advances; that's "when".

Orlando

#71817 Jan 23, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>And Rome, also, fell.
ALL of the 'ancient civilizations' have fallen.

We get it. You dont like gay people and think they should be denied civil rights.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#71818 Jan 23, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>That is just disgusting... I never understood how people could get into bestiality.
Oh.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#71819 Jan 23, 2013
Combat-Wombat-88 wrote:
<quoted text>
NO you fail at life
The world was obviously created 200 years ago by pirate space aliens. Duh!
Zombie pirate space aliens.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#71820 Jan 23, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
WORK or the Whole Organizational Range of KInds theory is an orgainzational theory which is an explanation of how ecological systems work in relation to SCP concept.
If you honestly believe this, you're stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 3 min Crazy Jae 8,275
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 5 min Crazy Jae 7,878
Let's Play Songs Titled with Two Words ... 6 min Good-Evil 707
How was your first time? 6 min Crazy Jae 2
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 8 min Crazy Jae 789
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 9 min OB Historical Soc... 40,133
Say Something Nice. (Oct '09) 10 min Crazy Jae 2,701
motorcycle traveling stories 45 min Bad Bex 250
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 1 hr Crazy Jae 1,402
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 2 hr Good-Evil 161,012