Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
67,301 - 67,320 of 114,872 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

nemesis wrote:
Experience.....We had a close encounter @10ft.....not lights in the sky, not light refraction, not swamp gas.........It was 10 ft away. We both saw it. So don't tell us that we were dreaming and in the same dream.
Or you both imagined it.

Or you are lying.

Either explanation is far more plausible than what you expect others to believe happened.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution: when you think of it you would have start at the very beginning with the primordial soup. Let's go back to the making of the soup. Rain falling on rocks for millions and millions of years washing the correct minerals and elements into a puddle to combine with the correct gases over millions of years. Then to make the fairy tale really good something some how created the spark of life and a speck of life came forth. Now this very primitive ( the most primitive life form ever ) lived long enough to mutate and mutate billions of times creating all forms of life ever to exist. Plants and animals adding more and more DNA along the way. Perfecting host and symbiont relationships. Fish and mammals swimming in the oceans some with gills others with blow holes then the birds in the sky and of course the birds that can't fly. Insects and ticks and worms.
Grass and trees and flowers. All from the speck of life that sprang to life with who knows how long of a life span.
Creating some as in algae to create oxygen that would be needed for the life forms that were to follow as it just kept mutating and adding DNA until the arrival of the great ape who figured it all out with no room for error and stood on his soap box and proclaimed this is how it happened no other explanation is possible.
Then please explain how according to the bible, we were made from dust?

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Kong_ wrote:
And ALL of the months of the year, if I'm not mistaken.
Well, some of the months of the year are just named after numbers (September, October, November, December; named after 7, 8, 9, and 10), a few are named after Roman rulers (July and August). February was named after a Roman purification ritual.

But January is named for the Roman god Janus, March for the Roman god Mars, April *may* have been named for Aphrodite, May for the Greek goddess Maia, and June *may* be named for the Roman goddess Juno.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

xxxooxxx wrote:
if you were by yourself and saw a tree fall in the forest,...you would have doubts that it happened, because there was no objective witnesses?
I would never have 100% certainty (which means that I would not eliminate *all* doubt), and if I then brought others to the forest and no evidence of such a tree could be found, I would give very serious consideration to the idea that I had simply imagined it.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do Atheist have such a hard time with definition of such easy words.
Here let me help you out.
athe·ist\ˈā-thē-ist\
noun
: one who believes that there is no deity
I'm an atheist, but I'm not someone who believes that there is no deity.

I simply lack theistic belief.

An atheist is someone who lacks theistic belief.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>Link please?
There is this also.

A fossilized human skull was found in coal that was sold in Germany (mid-1800s). A jawbone of a child was found in coal in Tuscany (1958). Two giant human molars were found in Montana (1926). A human leg was found by a West Virginia coal miner. It had changed into coal.�pp. 34-35.

A woman, in Illinois, reportedly found a gold chain in a chunk of coal which broke open (1891). A small steel cube was found in a block of coal in Austria (1885). An iron pot was found in coal in Oklahoma (1912). A woman found a child's spoon in coal (1937).�p. 35.

In 1944 Newton Anderson claimed to have found this bell inside a lump of coal that was mined near his house in West Virginia. When Newton dropped the lump it broke, revealing a bell encased inside.

What is a brass bell with an iron clapper doing in coal that is supposed to be hundreds of

millions of years old? According to Norm Scharbough's book Ammunition (which includes a compilation of many such "coal anecdotes") the bell was extensively analyzed at the University of Oklahoma and it was found to contain an unusual mixture of metals, different from any modern usage. Photo and text from Genesis Park.

Man-made objects in rock.

An iron nail was found in a Cretaceous block from the Mesozoic era (mid-1800s). A gold thread was found in stone in England (1844). An iron nail was found in quartz in California (1851). A silver vessel was found in solid rock in Massachusetts (1851).

The mold of a metal screw was found in a chunk of feldspar (1851). An intricately carved and inlaid metal bowl was found in solid rock (1852). An iron nail was found in rock in a Peruvian mine by Spanish conquistadores (1572).�pp. 35-36.

http://s8int.com/page8.html

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Psalm 103:14

New International Version (1984)
for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're an agnostic atheist?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>So are you implying that if science didn't tell you that you existed, you would be in doubt?

I must say...you are dedicated.
LOL.:-()

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't need to practice any religion to believe there is a God.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds improbable to me. I doubt the word was coined to refute scripture. Personally, I don't see the idea as being very essential to evolutionary theory. Mutation occurs and is passed on at the individual level, period!

The idea of a "macro" evolutionary strategy is flawed. It's like saying that the predecessors of birds decided to take several steps to become birds. That doesn't happen. What does happen is that environmental conditions occur that allow a species to bridge a gap between their old niche and a new one. Without those conditions, no birds would happen.

I don't know if it's your interpretation or the logic that is flawed, but I won't defend it.
Evolution at different scales: micro to macro
by the Understanding Evolution team

Evolution encompasses changes of vastly different scales — from something as insignificant as an increase in the frequency of the gene for dark wings in beetles from one generation to the next, to something as grand as the evolution and radiation of the dinosaur lineage. These two extremes represent classic examples of micro- and macroevolution.

Microevolution happens on a small scale (within a single population), while macroevolution happens on a scale that transcends the boundaries of a single species. Despite their differences, evolution at both of these levels relies on the same, established mechanisms of evolutionary change:

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/arti...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>I have. None of those can be identified as unambiguous prophecies that aren't either (1) twisted to fit a scenario or (2) made into a self-fulfilling prophecy.(Or the ones that are flat-out wrong.)

Langoliers wrote, "Look at the dating method BC "Before Christ" AD "in the year of our Lord""

You mean the dating that is increasingly written as "BCE" and CE"?

By the way, should we conclude that people believe that Thor and Woden and the other Norse gods were real because we have days named Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday?

Heck, even Jews that don't use "BC" and "AD" have no problem in using those words to refer to those days of the week.
LOL really!

"You mean the dating that is increasingly written as "BCE" and CE"?"

Why do you think science is switching to those dating system? Think hard now.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>Then please explain how according to the bible, we were made from dust?
No need you can look it up if you don't already know. I don't play those games.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>I'm an atheist, but I'm not someone who believes that there is no deity.

Look up the word agnostic.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution at different scales: micro to macro
by the Understanding Evolution team
Evolution encompasses changes of vastly different scales — from something as insignificant as an increase in the frequency of the gene for dark wings in beetles from one generation to the next, to something as grand as the evolution and radiation of the dinosaur lineage. These two extremes represent classic examples of micro- and macroevolution.
Microevolution happens on a small scale (within a single population), while macroevolution happens on a scale that transcends the boundaries of a single species. Despite their differences, evolution at both of these levels relies on the same, established mechanisms of evolutionary change:
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/arti...
You keep referring to a definition that is not accurate.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Mac...

So you don't agree to the fact there was increase in brain size in mammals, which is an example of macro-evolution?

Although I have questions about major transitions (origin of higher-level phyla) in species.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
No need you can look it up if you don't already know. I don't play those games.
I'm not playing games, I want answers. Because if there was one, you would be posting them by now, wouldn't you?

The bible actually tells you that and Science proves that and yet you still don't know?

Hint: We are literally made of star dust.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Cybele wrote:
So you're an agnostic atheist?
Correct.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Cybele wrote:
You don't need to practice any religion to believe there is a God.
I didn't make any references to religious practice.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
"You mean the dating that is increasingly written as "BCE" and CE"?"
Why do you think science is switching to those dating system?
Because science is not making a claim in favor of any particular religion.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
Look up the word agnostic.
Agnosticism is a claim about knowledge, not a claim about belief.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fergson Police Dept. 6 min Grace Nerissa 260
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 10 min -Lea- 18,251
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 12 min eleanorigby 35,935
Make a Story / 4 Words Only (Nov '08) 16 min Free Thinking 23,982
What's your tip for the day? 22 min look 763
when humanity learns that all are one family at... (Dec '12) 23 min Free Thinking 6
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 27 min Father McKenzie 144,966
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••