Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
67,281 - 67,300 of 114,365 Comments Last updated 31 min ago

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
if there was irrefutable evidence that supported the idea of an intelligence behind the Universe would you believe?
And as I have answered each and every time I have been asked such a question:

Yes.
xxxooxxx wrote:
The answer was an honest no
Not from me.
xxxooxxx wrote:
so in all honesty, asking for "evidence" is really kinda of mute...don't you think?
Assuming you intended the very different word "moot", my answer to your question is "no".

So, how are you coming with producing that "irrefutable evidence"?

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

anonymous wrote:
You owe everyone an apology for shanghaiing the discussion...
Says the guy who willingly participated in the aforementioned discussion.
anonymous wrote:
Meanwhile, I intend to further discuss Evolution vs. Creationism
Great! But you're not doing it in this exchange, so you're not doing very well in living up to your own claimed intentions.
anonymous wrote:
don't parse out peoples comments in an effort to wear them down with trivial clarifications on things that only matter to your pro-gay mythology
You mean, my statistical-based (which is quite real, and not myth) argument for equal rights for gays.
anonymous wrote:
...which is NOT nor has ever been a part of Evolution.
Homosexuality isn't part of evolution? Then you must be claiming that humans aren't part of evolution, since homosexuality has been part of humanity for all of recorded history.

But since humans *are* part of evolution, then all of their behaviors are, too. So you're obviously wrong.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
personal experience and observation
Personal experience/observation doesn't count as evidence toward the existence of anything, if it can't be made objective.

Or did you not realize that you've identified no way to distinguish between wishful thinking and reality?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Link please?
http://www.mcremo.com/lectures.html

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
And as I have answered each and every time I have been asked such a question:
Yes.
<quoted text>
Not from me.
<quoted text>
Assuming you intended the very different word "moot", my answer to your question is "no".
So, how are you coming with producing that "irrefutable evidence"?
Then describe your criteria irrefutable evidence...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

(Then describe your criteria for irrefutable evidence...)

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
The Bible contains about 2500 prophesy of which 2000 have been fulfilled. You can google that.
I have. None of those can be identified as unambiguous prophecies that aren't either (1) twisted to fit a scenario or (2) made into a self-fulfilling prophecy.(Or the ones that are flat-out wrong.)
Langoliers wrote:
Look at the dating method BC "Before Christ" AD "in the year of our Lord"
You mean the dating that is increasingly written as "BCE" and CE"?

By the way, should we conclude that people believe that Thor and Woden and the other Norse gods were real because we have days named Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday?

Heck, even Jews that don't use "BC" and "AD" have no problem in using those words to refer to those days of the week.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
Have the Creationists on this forum been more respectful than the Evolutionists?
I think so.
Have the Creationists argued more intelligently than the Evolutionists?
I think so.
Have the Creationists been better listeners than the Evolutionists?
If that implies a change in mindset...I would think not.
Are you an unbiased observer?

I don't think so.

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
Then describe your criteria irrefutable evidence
Relevant, objective, and unambiguous evidence.

When the evidence meets those criteria, the evidence can be presented, and it can be seen whether or not the evidence can be refuted.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Personal experience/observation/observa tion doesn't count as evidence toward the existence of anything, if it can't be made objective.
Or did you not realize that you've identified no way to distinguish between wishful thinking and reality?
so speaking from your own Personal experience and observations, you have determine that Personal experience/observation has to objective....ok:O)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you an unbiased observer?
I don't think so.
do you think of yourself, as a unbiased observer?
nemesis

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a mystery at all. There can be countless advanced civilizations in the Universe. That doesn't mean that they have the capability to communicate across interstellar distances (let alone travel between them).
Experience.....We had a close encounter @10ft.....not lights in the sky, not light refraction, not swamp gas.........It was 10 ft away. We both saw it. So don't tell us that we were dreaming and in the same dream. Unless God flies around in a starship and can make us fall asleep and wake up at the same time, than it was God. Or, it was the Govt. What was a reversed alien engineered craft doing out in the middle of BFE! Or, it was those interstellar travelers.....from what we could tell. It was hovering 15-20ft, on a high power line. We came over a hill after going thru mature trees that covered the road from the air. We surprised them/it(being a probe, a study vehicle). it than turned towards us. It had a soft white light it was using in front.They/It put us both to sleep. We lost time, but not exactly how much.As we were waking up, we were slumped in our seats facing each other, blinking, trying to wake up. Just than, the craft appeared hovering 10ft off the ground and just in front of us. It crossed over us without a sound. The bottom was covered in red glowing panels(probably the power source), 6" x 2' not rotating. It was awsome!!!!!My friend lost it and said, "Lets get out of here before they come bagk!" I step out of the car because I knew this was a once in a life time event. I saw nothing, no leaves moving just above us. Oh, in the canopy of leaves just behind our car there was a 15 ft hole in the trees.....freaky! The question we had was answered. Are we alone in the universe? A BIG FAT NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I have. None of those can be identified as unambiguous prophecies that aren't either (1) twisted to fit a scenario or (2) made into a self-fulfilling prophecy.(Or the ones that are flat-out wrong.)
<quoted text>
You mean the dating that is increasingly written as "BCE" and CE"?
By the way, should we conclude that people believe that Thor and Woden and the other Norse gods were real because we have days named Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday?
Heck, even Jews that don't use "BC" and "AD" have no problem in using those words to refer to those days of the week.
Not to mention all the planets and their moons, plus other 'heavenly' bodies that bear the names of greek and roman deities.

Venus, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, Pluto, yadda, yadda, yadda...

And ALL of the months of the year, if I'm not mistaken.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
(Then describe your criteria for irrefutable evidence...)
Irrefutable is evidence that does not change what it suggests. Unlike mythology, the evidence produces the same results in all cases.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Relevant, objective, and unambiguous evidence.
When the evidence meets those criteria, the evidence can be presented, and it can be seen whether or not the evidence can be refuted.
and again...if you were by yourself and saw a tree fall in the forest,...you would have doubts that it happened, because there was no objective witnesses?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Irrefutable is evidence that does not change what it suggests. Unlike mythology, the evidence produces the same results in all cases.
so the Universe "suggests" some sort of intelligence, acknowledged by every culture that has ever exist in some form or other...I would call that objective evidence.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

nemesis wrote:
<quoted text>Experience.....We had a close encounter @10ft.....not lights in the sky, not light refraction, not swamp gas.........It was 10 ft away. We both saw it. So don't tell us that we were dreaming and in the same dream. Unless God flies around in a starship and can make us fall asleep and wake up at the same time, than it was God. Or, it was the Govt. What was a reversed alien engineered craft doing out in the middle of BFE! Or, it was those interstellar travelers.....from what we could tell. It was hovering 15-20ft, on a high power line. We came over a hill after going thru mature trees that covered the road from the air. We surprised them/it(being a probe, a study vehicle). it than turned towards us. It had a soft white light it was using in front.They/It put us both to sleep. We lost time, but not exactly how much.As we were waking up, we were slumped in our seats facing each other, blinking, trying to wake up. Just than, the craft appeared hovering 10ft off the ground and just in front of us. It crossed over us without a sound. The bottom was covered in red glowing panels(probably the power source), 6" x 2' not rotating. It was awsome!!!!!My friend lost it and said, "Lets get out of here before they come bagk!" I step out of the car because I knew this was a once in a life time event. I saw nothing, no leaves moving just above us. Oh, in the canopy of leaves just behind our car there was a 15 ft hole in the trees.....freaky! The question we had was answered. Are we alone in the universe? A BIG FAT NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
So from this experience, how did this affect you?

“Al Qur'an is Revolution ”

Since: Oct 12

Islam is Future

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but you don't make a good critique here.
Try explaining what a species is and you'll see where your argument fails.
:)

“Al Qur'an is Revolution ”

Since: Oct 12

Islam is Future

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
so the Universe "suggests" some sort of intelligence, acknowledged by every culture that has ever exist in some form or other...I would call that objective evidence.
of course.. universe is intelligent design perfectly with balance system in it

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't. The universe suggests a universe and that is all.

Appeal to popularity fallacy, also known as the bandwagon. The majority has historically proven wrong more often than correct, so you are siding with what is more likely wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••