Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 3,359)

Showing posts 67,161 - 67,180 of112,066
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
jkjkhardcore

Westbury, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you define "kind"?
Is "Bird of Prey" a kind? Or just "bird"? Or "Anything with feathers"?
Is "Primate" a kind? Or "Mammal"? Or "Animal"?
If I present you with an as of yet undiscovered animal, how would you know which "kind" it should be?
How many "kinds" are there?
How do I determine if something like a penguin is "bird kind" or "fish kind"?
What about something like a snail? Is it the same kind as a slug?
Are snakes and false snakes both "snake kind"? Or are false snakes "lizard kind"? Or are they all "reptile kind"? Or are they all "things that lay eggs kind"?
I lol'd at your post.
I believe what he means by kind, is others of it's kind, others that are like it. For example if I say idiots and their kind, I mean those specific idiots and all other idiots like him.
If I say snakes and their kind I pretty much mean snakes.
But for his specific term I think he refers to all the species that had adapted like them. So if you have a species that adapts and then makes babies that share that same characteristic then you have him and all his babies, his kind.
jkjkhardcore

Westbury, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is no intelligence in the structure of the universe how can scientists use physics to explain it? There is not chaos up there. We do live in an ordered universe.
Actually according to my inorganic chemsitry textbook, most of the crap out there is chaos it takes energy to order it into what we consider order. I just remember that because I was thinking how is that possible, but then I read the whole damn thing and realized yea, airs is chaotic and most of the worlds made up of air (this is a paraphrase) so yeah it makes sense.
jkjkhardcore

Westbury, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
To suggest that there is evolution within the human species is not pc. One must cling to the notion that we are all pretty much equal in our abilities. To do otherwise would be to engage in eugenics much like the nazis did.
With billions of humans evolution has hit a dead end. We evolve through non evolutionary means. It is our technology which evolves... not our genes.
Small isolated communities evolve in order to survive. Humanity survives by using the grey matter we were all born with. Not much different than the grey matter our ancestors were born with when they first left Africa. We are post evolutionary. Unless a comet or something were to wipe about 99.9% of us out anyway.
Well as far as "race" is concerned we are all pretty much alike the physical characteristics which we like to define as asian african european caucasion whatever does not really define our personal attributes. However it is due to note that many of us have mutations that may or may not prove to be useful or benefit in our environment. If those give us a select advantage over our ability to acquire resources or to mate and produce viable young and offspring then as such we as a whole gain a new characteristic or ability.
The way my A&P professor explained it is this:
Basically the human race can be considered a closet, we got a bunch of crap in their ( our genome) and sometimes we are able to use that crap sometimes its useless. Maybe an umbrella or a snow plow that is useful, the things that are useful will be kept while the stuff thats not won't.
How evolution comes into play is that over time there will be more ppl with umbrellas and thus we as a whole have evolved into a stage where having an umbrella is advantageous. However to kill anyone without an Umbrella as in the case of Eugenics is just silly.
Here is where I'll fill in:
I guess its because killing someone without a specific trait would be disadvantageous to the human race would be because if something had happened that made it disadvantageous to have an umbrella or a snowplow then those who don't have the umbrella /snow plow would be better off to succede and repodruce and since they are still human, the one's with umbrellas can reproduce with the ones without umbrellas to make kids that may have umbrellas or not but will ensure that people with umbrellas won't die out!
nemesis

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

jkjkhardcore wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the Big Bang is just a theory that gives a suggested answer to how the universe was created and is based on how the galaxy moves. It has more evidence than the bible which for the most part seem to be a collection of stories gathered together by a bunch of "disciples" or "gospels" that lend no evidence and points to the supernatural. If in modern day someone were to find a book similar to the bible they would disregard it as fairy tales and nonfiction. But I do have to say that the bible has played many important parts in human history, but so has the koran, the torah and many confucian teachings.
What would humans do if they knew that an energy or control could make their mind fall asleep....? Knowing it exist. Its real. its scary. What ramifications would that bring to human existence?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

nemesis wrote:
<quoted text>What would humans do if they knew that an energy or control could make their mind fall asleep....? Knowing it exist. Its real. its scary. What ramifications would that bring to human existence?
About 2 thirds awake and 1 third asleep? OH NOES!!!

Think yourself lucky you're not a polar bear.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that Fred Hoyle's ideas about the universe and creation were ultimately proven wrong, don't you??
Although he is the one credited with coming up with the moniker 'Big Bang' for the ideas that was ultimately adopted
if you read the article, both sides of the arguments were explained.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

nemesis wrote:
<quoted text>What would humans do if they knew that an energy or control could make their mind fall asleep....? Knowing it exist. Its real. its scary. What ramifications would that bring to human existence?
what are you talking about? mind control?

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Those poor Biblical Creationists have gotten caught in a double bind.
The more kinds they recognize, the more work they impose on Noah and his seven trusty crewman.
The fewer kinds they recognize, the more evolving--excuse me, adapting--they impose on the animals, and in just 4500 years.

Did Noah take only two dogs? That's 35 species in 14 genera.
Did Noah take only two bats? That's 850 species.
Did Noah take only two worms? That's 28,000 species in 18 phyla, which is over half the phyla in the Animal Kingdom.
How about beetles? That's half a million species.

Duane Gish claimed that the concept of kinds can be understood by "any high school student with average intelligence." However, he cannot remember his own system. On page 35 of the 1978 edition of Evolution: The Fossils Say No! hhe assigns a slot each to gibbons, chimpanzees, and gorillas, but 0on page 47, he designates all apes as a "major kind."

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

neutral observer wrote:
If there is no intelligence in the structure of the universe how can scientists use physics to explain it?
Scientists use physics to *model* what we observe.

If every possible Universe, from the most chaotic to the most regular, actually exists at some point, then you're going to have observers only in the relatively regular ones.(Too chaotic, no life, and too regular, not enough variety to produce life.)

If the Universe were sufficiently chaotic, we wouldn't be around to observe it, remember?

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

nemesis wrote:
You mean, if humans learned about the existence of Ambien?
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
So it's just coincidence that polls taken over a period of time by different organizations show the same results?
It's just coincidence that polls are able to predict who wins in elections?
That humans are intelligent does not allow us to conclude that, when taken as a large group, we can't predict their behavior.
Otherwise, it would be impossible to design highways or buildings, it would be impossible for restaurants to predict how many staff they'll need for different shifts, it would be impossible for stores to predict how many items they need to put on the shelves.
And yet all of these things are done.
Intelligent humans, in the aggregate, are still predictable.
<quoted text>
Ah, the wishful thinking of a homophobe. I do love a good fantasy story. But just like the Jetsons and their flying cars, your view of the future isn't likely to happen, either.
<quoted text>
And yet you keep doing it. Why is that?
<quoted text>
Well, since you admit that you can't predict the future, your predictions are valueless, are they not?
<quoted text>
You mean the way that the "good ol' boys" have managed to prevent interracial marriages from taking place?
Oh, wait, they haven't.
I guess those "good ol' boys" won't have their day, after all.
Hit the gas! Pay no attention to the policeman who's trying to help!

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

anonymous wrote:
Pay no attention to the policeman who's trying to help!
You think you're some sort of policeman?

Seriously?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry, nothing that a good tin foil hat won't solve.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists use physics to *model* what we observe.
If every possible Universe, from the most chaotic to the most regular, actually exists at some point, then you're going to have observers only in the relatively regular ones.(Too chaotic, no life, and too regular, not enough variety to produce life.)
If the Universe were sufficiently chaotic, we wouldn't be around to observe it, remember?
So now you want to call it 'regular' rather than intelligent. You just want to use semantics here. Intelligent is what it is. You don't call US Intelligence Agencies 'regular' do you? Whether you want to admit it or not, there are organized orders in everything from nature to human affairs. Order out of chaos.
nemesis

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo! So, lets say its the govt. They just use that ability occasionally. No big deal. They send energy at the brain that causes a "Sleep state". People have had it happen and never knew it, people knew it happened and will never say nothing for fear of being labeled "crazy". Or, "alien technology" is being used, a form of mind telepathy. We feel its the second choice....experience matters! Most humans will say, "your nuts" and go read Bible verses. Its real......it happened and nobody has any answers. They just say, "We don't care about your little green friends" Well, if its the govt you better start worrying!!!!!If it was aliens, don't worry they mean no harm. Just taking some samples back to the mother ship..........nothing to fear, don't be scared.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

nemesis wrote:
<quoted text>Bingo! So, lets say its the govt. They just use that ability occasionally. No big deal. They send energy at the brain that causes a "Sleep state". People have had it happen and never knew it, people knew it happened and will never say nothing for fear of being labeled "crazy". Or, "alien technology" is being used, a form of mind telepathy. We feel its the second choice....experience matters! Most humans will say, "your nuts" and go read Bible verses. Its real......it happened and nobody has any answers. They just say, "We don't care about your little green friends" Well, if its the govt you better start worrying!!!!!If it was aliens, don't worry they mean no harm. Just taking some samples back to the mother ship..........nothing to fear, don't be scared.
The method of causing or inducing a sleep state is what I need. I have a very active mind. Reading at night and watching TV puts me to sleep though so it all depends on what I'm reading and what program is on. Kind of hypnosis.

“Somewhere in time...”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

nemesis wrote:
Dark city?...lol
nemesis

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
The method of causing or inducing a sleep state is what I need. I have a very active mind. Reading at night and watching TV puts me to sleep though so it all depends on what I'm reading and what program is on. Kind of hypnosis.
We had many questions prior to our encounter. One question was answered....."We are NOT alone in the universe". Next question. Why do aliens insist on being like gray ghost and make humans fear them? The more we learn, the more we understand that with the universe having infinite earth-like planets the odds of an advanced civilization existing is fact, not fiction. Why they will not make direct and factual contact is a mystery. Science does not have a clue. All the number crunching in the universe will never answer that question. Again, we understand the "negative" response.......we know what happened was real.

“Somewhere in time...”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
thinking the cube analogy...Here's an article on Hoyle's intelligent universe
http://home.planet.nl/~gkorthof/pdf/korthof47...
very interesting read...there's a lot of ideas that I was not aware of presented....I read somewhere that there was deep mining operation in western US, that cut into solid rock and they found flint artifacts.
The rocks that house these artifacts were dated like a million years old or older...alot of things are swept under the rug if they don't support current mainstream scientific ideology.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

nemesis wrote:
<quoted text>We had many questions prior to our encounter. One question was answered....."We are NOT alone in the universe". Next question. Why do aliens insist on being like gray ghost and make humans fear them? The more we learn, the more we understand that with the universe having infinite earth-like planets the odds of an advanced civilization existing is fact, not fiction. Why they will not make direct and factual contact is a mystery. Science does not have a clue. All the number crunching in the universe will never answer that question. Again, we understand the "negative" response.......we know what happened was real.
Please describe your encounter with these aliens. Do they really look like what they describe them to be?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 67,161 - 67,180 of112,066
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

205 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 19 min Harrison Freebird 17,178
What are you wearing today? (Nov '09) 21 min stacked and proud 11,631
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 24 min COOTERDOG 14,124
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 28 min SLACK 34,818
Police: 1 Dead, 1 Hurt In North Minneapolis Sta... 31 min Rhydum Redeemer 20
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 33 min Mechanic 25,446
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 34 min Mechanic 2,986
What's your tip for the day? 36 min Mechanic 66
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 44 min CJ Rocker 140,651