Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#70897 Jan 13, 2013
Lililth_Satans_Bore wrote:
<quoted text>that never was a scientific theory... nice try tho
so the theory of the Universe expanding and then slowing down, collapsing into a singularity was never a theory?

really now...

prove it.

The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#70898 Jan 13, 2013
<quoted text>that never was a scientific theory... nice try tho
It is unfortunate that scientists sometimes make the mistake of using the word "theory" for ease of use when in actuality they mean "hypothesis". Kinda like String Theory even though it's only a hypothesis. This sometimes has the effect of making scientific laypeople believing they have valid criticisms of scientific concepts they don't understand.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#70900 Jan 13, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope! It's at least four. Possibly more, but they're only abstract mathematical models at this time.
Time being the 4th dimension, etc. or even 11 accdg to the M-theory.

Do you believe that our consciousness has many dimensions as well? Or is it just me?

Level 2

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#70901 Jan 13, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
so the theory of the Universe expanding and then slowing down, collapsing into a singularity was never a theory?
really now...
prove it.
the slowing down was a hypothesis, and hypothesis are meant in science to be tested and refuted if the evidence refutes them... learn the scientific terms before you try and debate reallity... I suspect you should stick to your mythical superstions as you need no supporting evidence other than a 2000 year old comic book

Level 2

Bellevue, WA

#70902 Jan 13, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
It is unfortunate that scientists sometimes make the mistake of using the word "theory" for ease of use when in actuality they mean "hypothesis". Kinda like String Theory even though it's only a hypothesis. This sometimes has the effect of making scientific laypeople believing they have valid criticisms of scientific concepts they don't understand.
totally agree... but even when this is pointed out to a christard they will continue to misuse the terms on purpose

Location hidden

#70904 Jan 13, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
gee...all the science books seem to use the word theory...I guess now that it turns out to be a wrong "theory" it's now a mis-labeled hypothesis...LMAO

Level 2

Bellevue, WA

#70903 Jan 13, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
really now...
prove it.
maybe you should consult your burning bush
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#70905 Jan 13, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
really now...
prove it.
Your own link did.

This is the difference between science and dogma. They propose a hypothesis, and if they come across new information later on they will, if necessary, change that hypothesis. It MAY be that in the future some more data will be discovered which does indeed indicate that our apparently expanding universe is slowing down. Or it may not. But the whole "theory" you're talking about (even if you don't realise it) is the Big Bang theory. And within theories you have smaller hypotheses, such as whether the universe is speeding up or slowing down. However both still fit within the Big Bang framework.

Much like the bird/dino connection in evolution. While common ancestry is not scientifically disputed, the particulars of how it all happened can be. Which is why there's still a few evolutionary biologists who dispute the idea that the bird lineage evolved from dinosaurs. And the concept may even be referred to as a "theory" in general, even though it is actually a hypothesis WITHIN the scientific theory of what is known as the modern evolutionary synthesis.

Level 5

above and beyond

#70906 Jan 13, 2013
<quoted text>maybe you should consult your burning bush
ouch! see your ob/gyn

Location hidden

#70907 Jan 13, 2013
<quoted text>maybe you should consult your burning bush
and maybe you should consult a Rabbi...lol
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#70908 Jan 13, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Time being the 4th dimension, etc. or even 11 accdg to the M-theory.
Do you believe that our consciousness has many dimensions as well? Or is it just me?
As it's implicitly tied to the brain, it also exists in 4.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#70909 Jan 13, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
gee...all the science books seem to use the word theory...I guess now that it turns out to be a wrong "theory" it's now a mis-labeled hypothesis...LMAO
Better a mislabelled hypothesis than a creationist's overestimation of their own scientific understanding.

Location hidden

#70910 Jan 13, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
as deep as the ocean
wow...a true free thinker...nice;)

Level 2

Bellevue, WA

#70911 Jan 13, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
ouch! see your ob/gyn
no kidding...lol or get some monostat

Level 2

Bellevue, WA

#70912 Jan 13, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
uuum why.... for more mythical superstitions.....

Level 5

above and beyond

#70913 Jan 13, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I need me a white lightning ;-)

Level 5

above and beyond

#70914 Jan 13, 2013
<quoted text>uuum why.... for more mythical superstitions.....
You do know that Satan is a mythical creature and Lilith is too right?

Location hidden

#70915 Jan 13, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Better a mislabelled hypothesis than a creationist's overestimation of their own scientific understanding.
So how many of these so called theories are really mislabelled hypothesizes?...all of them if they turn out to be wrong???

exactly.

Level 2

Bellevue, WA

#70916 Jan 13, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that Satan is a mythical creature and Lilith is too right?
sure do. just like adam and eve and all the other comical bible stories

Location hidden

#70918 Jan 13, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I need me a white lightning ;-)
that is deep!...lol

nite.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 17 min Just TLC 3,000
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 24 min wichita-rick 152,767
what are you feeling right now? (Dec '08) 46 min wichita-rick 1,206
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 59 min andet1987 7,755
raaxeeye77 1 hr raaxeeye77 1
Word Association (Mar '10) 1 hr andet1987 16,189
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 1 hr andet1987 138,400
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 2 hr andet1987 1,127
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 4 hr andet1987 30,058
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 8 hr BLOODY__FATALITY 25,838