Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 3,317)

Showing posts 66,321 - 66,340 of112,790
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Thomas Robertson wrote:
Cybele, what is your point in saying that animals of other species can't clone themselves?
That we have unique gifts, and therefore are God's chosen species, and therefore must have been created rather than evolved?
We have heard that line before.
Other species have unique gifts, too.
Cheetahs probably feel sorry for us because we can't swim as fast as they can.
Elephants probably feel sorry for us because we can't carry heavy logs with our noses.
Bombadier beetles probably feel sorry for us because we can't excrete toxins in an enemy's face.
No. I'm asking for evidence because I've never heard of any animal species that can clone itself other than single cell organisms through asexual reproduction. And now animal cloning has become synonymous to asexual propagation. Is human cloning considered an asexual reproduction?

My point is cloning is a process that humans invented with the use of technology. So how can animals like cows or sheep use this process naturally? Impossible.

Where are you going with your statement about animals? Did I ever mention anything that suggests that animals are inferior to humans?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Christopher Keller wrote:
<quoted text>
A cloned human would be created for a specific purpose. A soldier. A basketball player. A musician.
For a given purpose by someone with power.
As a slave.
Sez who?

What you get is a baby.

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

<quoted text>
A cloned human would be created for a specific purpose. A soldier. A basketball player. A musician.
As a slave.
Then we should NOT clone humans. Many attempts in cloning result in failures and deformity, which is why it makes it unethical. No human cloning produced viable pregnancies. They lead to miscarriages. Considering the risks involved, why would one choose this method of reproduction?

Before we even think what a cloned human can do in our society, a soldier or athlete, we should first study how to perfect the cloning process.

You're mentality is influenced by sci-fi movies.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Then we should NOT clone humans. Many attempts in cloning result in failures and deformity, which is why it makes it unethical. No human cloning produced viable pregnancies. They lead to miscarriages. Considering the risks involved, why would one choose this method of reproduction?
Before we even think what a cloned human can do in our society, a soldier or athlete, we should first study how to perfect the cloning process.
You're mentality is influenced by sci-fi movies.
. WHY would ANYONE want to CLONE anything? It's like creating ARTIFICIAL Flavors from the Original NATURAL Flavor?? The taste is NEVER exactly the same.. THERE is a slight difference.. BUT I just can't put my finger on it. That's WHY we were created by the Master Creator himself..to REPRODUCE!! Reminds me of the movie.. The Boys From Brazil..create a Master Race..FREAKIN' SCARY!!

Level 5

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>. WHY would ANYONE want to CLONE anything? It's like creating ARTIFICIAL Flavors from the Original NATURAL Flavor?? The taste is NEVER exactly the same.. THERE is a slight difference.. BUT I just can't put my finger on it. That's WHY we were created by the Master Creator himself..to REPRODUCE!! Reminds me of the movie.. The Boys From Brazil..create a Master Race..FREAKIN' SCARY!!
What if cloning is the future? Do you think in vitro is unethical? I don't see the difference other than the methods used.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Too many people have been watching too much bad sci-fi.
A human cloning gets you one human newborn. That is all.
No reason to treat it any differently from any other...
I can't figure out why people just can't tell the difference between fiction and reality still. It's scary.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>. WHY would ANYONE want to CLONE anything? It's like creating ARTIFICIAL Flavors from the Original NATURAL Flavor?? The taste is NEVER exactly the same.. THERE is a slight difference.. BUT I just can't put my finger on it. That's WHY we were created by the Master Creator himself..to REPRODUCE!! Reminds me of the movie.. The Boys From Brazil..create a Master Race..FREAKIN' SCARY!!
We weren't "created" anymore than a rock is "created" from lava.

Cloning organs will save lives.

Cloning animals would help feed people.

Cloning plants will help feed people.

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Too many people have been watching too much bad sci-fi.
A human cloning gets you one human newborn. That is all.
No reason to treat it any differently from any other...
Except for spare parts....muwa-hahaha!

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for spare parts....muwa-hahaha!
If it could be made acephalic from the beginning....

O'course, by that point, we should be able to just grow the parts separately.

“Go ahead.”

Level 5

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then their theories just confirmed my own conjectures! yay!
Yaaay!

What other theories would you like to "confirm" after the fact, with your own guesses?

“Go ahead.”

Level 5

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

<quoted text>
As a slave.
Or 'cause you're infertile and want kids.

“Go ahead.”

Level 5

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I'm asking for evidence because I've never heard of any animal species that can clone itself other than single cell organisms through asexual reproduction. And now animal cloning has become synonymous to asexual propagation. Is human cloning considered an asexual reproduction?
My point is cloning is a process that humans invented with the use of technology. So how can animals like cows or sheep use this process naturally? Impossible.
Where are you going with your statement about animals? Did I ever mention anything that suggests that animals are inferior to humans?
Well, you're mistaken. Lots of plants can create clones or sexually reproduce. They decide which to do based on the environmental conditions around them. In favorable conditions, clone. In poor conditions, sexually reproduce.

Some lizard species are 100% clones - no male offspring, only females. All daughters share 100% of their genes with their mother, minus mutation.

All identical twins are clones. There's about 8 primate species that only reproduce in twins - golden lion tamarins, for example.

I honestly wish people would learn more about biology before they make pretense to authoritative statements about it. It's just misleading behavior.

In case you're wondering, most social insects are not actually clones of each other.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Or 'cause you're infertile and want kids.
Good enough reason right there.

O'course, it's gonna play holy hell with criminal forensics.

“Go ahead.”

Level 5

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Sez who?
What you get is a baby.
Totally! The first authorized human cloning will be for couples who cannot have kids, but want to.

I imagine some kind of "The Island" scenario as well, to be honest Although, it's more likely we'll figure out how to grow cloned material, perhaps even bodies, without brains to avoid ethical issues.

“Go ahead.”

Level 5

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Good enough reason right there.
O'course, it's gonna play holy hell with criminal forensics.
I imagine, by that time, you'll be able to get a rough read from the DNA on how old the individual is based on teleomere length. Or perhaps we'll add some kind of 666 genetic marking

;)

Plus, the parent is probably going to have a good alibi or be too old to actually carry out a crime when the evil child commits the terrible crime.

“Go ahead.”

Level 5

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Cybele wrote:
Seriously, WTF.
inorite?

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>If it could be made acephalic from the beginning....
O'course, by that point, we should be able to just grow the parts separately.
What joy would an evil mad scientist with designs on global domination get out of that? When I make a clone he will be doubly cephalic, just so that he can suffer more. Muwha-ha-ha ah cough choke gag .... Cloney? I really didn't mean it..

Level 9

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you're mistaken. Lots of plants can create clones or sexually reproduce. They decide which to do based on the environmental conditions around them. In favorable conditions, clone. In poor conditions, sexually reproduce.
Some lizard species are 100% clones - no male offspring, only females. All daughters share 100% of their genes with their mother, minus mutation.
All identical twins are clones. There's about 8 primate species that only reproduce in twins - golden lion tamarins, for example.
I honestly wish people would learn more about biology before they make pretense to authoritative statements about it. It's just misleading behavior.
In case you're wondering, most social insects are not actually clones of each other.
Don't female bees have the equivalent to the "y"chromosome in insects? I read an article about their breeding habits and it was a bit on the weird side.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What joy would an evil mad scientist with designs on global domination get out of that? When I make a clone he will be doubly cephalic, just so that he can suffer more. Muwha-ha-ha ah cough choke gag .... Cloney? I really didn't mean it..
Okay, stoppit. Yer not helping.

“Go ahead.”

Level 5

Make my day.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't female bees have the equivalent to the "y"chromosome in insects? I read an article about their breeding habits and it was a bit on the weird side.
Bee genetics is complicated fun :)

Queen bees are diploid. Drones are male haploids, laid by uninseminated worker bees. Worker bees are diploid females.

Drones can reproduce with the queen. The result of a haploid (male)+ diploid (female) is that you get offspring 50% related to each parent (more if the father comes from their female lineage), but 75% related to each other.

The drones are clones here, but not the worker bees nor the queens. Wiki has a nice article on it, but uses confusing language. If you can find an article with a table, it makes understanding the whole mess easier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplodiploid_sex...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 66,321 - 66,340 of112,790
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••