Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#70541 Jan 10, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Or 'cause you're infertile and want kids.
Good enough reason right there.

O'course, it's gonna play holy hell with criminal forensics.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#70542 Jan 10, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Sez who?
What you get is a baby.
Totally! The first authorized human cloning will be for couples who cannot have kids, but want to.

I imagine some kind of "The Island" scenario as well, to be honest Although, it's more likely we'll figure out how to grow cloned material, perhaps even bodies, without brains to avoid ethical issues.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#70543 Jan 10, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Good enough reason right there.
O'course, it's gonna play holy hell with criminal forensics.
I imagine, by that time, you'll be able to get a rough read from the DNA on how old the individual is based on teleomere length. Or perhaps we'll add some kind of 666 genetic marking

;)

Plus, the parent is probably going to have a good alibi or be too old to actually carry out a crime when the evil child commits the terrible crime.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#70544 Jan 10, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Seriously, WTF.
inorite?

Level 9

Everett, WA

#70545 Jan 10, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>If it could be made acephalic from the beginning....
O'course, by that point, we should be able to just grow the parts separately.
What joy would an evil mad scientist with designs on global domination get out of that? When I make a clone he will be doubly cephalic, just so that he can suffer more. Muwha-ha-ha ah cough choke gag .... Cloney? I really didn't mean it..

Level 9

Everett, WA

#70546 Jan 10, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you're mistaken. Lots of plants can create clones or sexually reproduce. They decide which to do based on the environmental conditions around them. In favorable conditions, clone. In poor conditions, sexually reproduce.
Some lizard species are 100% clones - no male offspring, only females. All daughters share 100% of their genes with their mother, minus mutation.
All identical twins are clones. There's about 8 primate species that only reproduce in twins - golden lion tamarins, for example.
I honestly wish people would learn more about biology before they make pretense to authoritative statements about it. It's just misleading behavior.
In case you're wondering, most social insects are not actually clones of each other.
Don't female bees have the equivalent to the "y"chromosome in insects? I read an article about their breeding habits and it was a bit on the weird side.

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#70547 Jan 11, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What joy would an evil mad scientist with designs on global domination get out of that? When I make a clone he will be doubly cephalic, just so that he can suffer more. Muwha-ha-ha ah cough choke gag .... Cloney? I really didn't mean it..
Okay, stoppit. Yer not helping.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#70548 Jan 11, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't female bees have the equivalent to the "y"chromosome in insects? I read an article about their breeding habits and it was a bit on the weird side.
Bee genetics is complicated fun :)

Queen bees are diploid. Drones are male haploids, laid by uninseminated worker bees. Worker bees are diploid females.

Drones can reproduce with the queen. The result of a haploid (male)+ diploid (female) is that you get offspring 50% related to each parent (more if the father comes from their female lineage), but 75% related to each other.

The drones are clones here, but not the worker bees nor the queens. Wiki has a nice article on it, but uses confusing language. If you can find an article with a table, it makes understanding the whole mess easier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplodiploid_sex...

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#70549 Jan 11, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, stoppit. Yer not helping.
Cloning is a lot easier than choosing which genes to produce a phenome. If you could do that, then you could build your soldiers/ waiters/ dishwashers/ politicians/ robot underclass, etc.

Oh, wait. No, we can start on the robot underclass now! Now, goddamnit, now!!!

Level 9

Everett, WA

#70550 Jan 11, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, stoppit. Yer not helping.
Just following that old saying:

"If you can't be part of the solution, be part of the problem."

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#70551 Jan 11, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Cloning is a lot easier than choosing which genes to produce a phenome. If you could do that, then you could build your soldiers/ waiters/ dishwashers/ politicians/ robot underclass, etc.
Oh, wait. No, we can start on the robot underclass now! Now, goddamnit, now!!!
You wouldn't be so impatient if you knew Marvin...

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#70552 Jan 11, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Just following that old saying:
"If you can't be part of the solution, be part of the problem."
Okay, on that basis, absolvo.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#70553 Jan 11, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You wouldn't be so impatient if you knew Marvin...
Ohhhhh....why do I ever post here, why do I take the time? Who gave me this 2 million IQ and then made me a dishwasher?!? I'd be better off in the heart of a star...

I cannot quite capture him! arg!

Level 7

The Borderland of Sol

#70554 Jan 11, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohhhhh....why do I ever post here, why do I take the time? Who gave me this 2 million IQ and then made me a dishwasher?!? I'd be better off in the heart of a star...
I cannot quite capture him! arg!
"When at last I go to bed,
Darkness won't enfold my head.
I can see by infrared.
How I hate the night."

Brain the size of a planet...

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#70555 Jan 11, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking to yourself?
If not- then you might check yourself-because I am the type that is very NON-impressed with big pharma anything. In fact- I LOATHE alot of it.
WAYYYY too much JUNK out there these days-destroys good minds and lives, and ruins common sense.
Oh sorry, was I addressing yes another sock of you? Well in that case I don’t give a wet fart for what type you are, and of course that explains the deliberate ignorance and stupidity I detected in your posts. Honey bitch, when you insult me then I insult you right back, rules of the game. You don’t like the rules of the game then go play with you little dollie;.

Uhhuh.'Nuff said.eh???

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#70556 Jan 11, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yaaay!
Hi, not seen you for a while, did you have a good winter break? Have a great year…
HILLBILYHIPPYMAN

Monroe, NC

#70557 Jan 11, 2013
Even if the evolution theory is correct. Theres just too many chemical processes that would have to take place perfectly. Im quite sure that there was somthing out there for all the millions of chain reactions of chemicals to take place. Then PUFF, we are here. All thanks to our lord God.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#70558 Jan 11, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, not seen you for a while, did you have a good winter break? Have a great year…
Hello cute girl!

I've not been on here because the baddies on topix are really, really uneducated and boring :)

and being boring is the only sin that matters!

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

justify your deity?

#70559 Jan 11, 2013
HILLBILYHIPPYMAN wrote:
Even if the evolution theory is correct. Theres just too many chemical processes that would have to take place perfectly. Im quite sure that there was somthing out there for all the millions of chain reactions of chemicals to take place. Then PUFF, we are here. All thanks to our lord God.
Clearly science is a mystery to you. A mystery you have replaced with ignorance.

Well done!

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Taizhou, China

#70560 Jan 11, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Where are you going with your statement about animals? Did I ever mention anything that suggests that animals are inferior to humans?
Sorry, I thought that that might be what you meant,
so I asked you if that was what you meant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 2 min Brandiiiiiiii 2,002
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 4 min -Lea- 20,553
A six word game (Dec '08) 10 min Junket 17,569
Make a Story / 4 Words Only (Nov '08) 14 min Parden Pard 24,147
Add a Word, Ruin a Movie (Oct '13) 15 min DILF 3,329
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 19 min Parden Pard 7,000
It Takes 7 Police Agencies to Break Up Wedding ... 21 min Lamb Cobb 21
New trolls on the block club (Mar '11) 41 min Michael 954
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Champagne on Ice 147,016
What's your tip for the day? 1 hr SLY WEST 1,080
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 1 hr Rose of Tralee 13,331
•••

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••