Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 3,314)

Showing posts 66,261 - 66,280 of111,615
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I am in a business that is particularly dependent on computer resources and spend perhaps 75% of my time waiting for my computer to catch up – hence my time on topix. I chose Linux as the OS and ooo as the office, both open source because they tend to be more reliable and considerably less expensive in setup, down time, crashes, upgrades etc than a comparable paid solution.
I believe the reason for this is commercial. Open source software (certainly the more high end offerings) are fully debugged before being released whereas writers of the commercial offerings are under pressure to publish and let the paying customers report the problems for rectification at a later date.
As an example, when we first set up the business and were looking of an OS we discovered that the then version of Windows blue screened on a fairly regular basis and to that date there were just 5 linux crashes that could be attributed to OS or driver faults. No contest.
However there is a flaw, Although much of the donkey work is done under Linux there is no Linux software (yet) to match the power and function of such offerings as 3Ds Max and Maya so these programmes need to run in a windows shell or second (dedicated) PC
Then of course we have hardware costs. Some of our computers are over 12 years old (they were particularly high end multi processor devices back in the day). To this day they do what we need as seamlessly and fast as modern multi core machines without falling over so often.
Have you checked out Libre Office? It's a spin-off from OOo that is showing more promise. OOo is actually falling behind slowly but surely, and very sadly because it was the par-none office suite for so long. But Libre is almost identical to it in layout and is being actively developed. Just a heads up really, you should check it out in case OOo drops the ball for the last time soon.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

PTK wrote:
<quoted text>
"Clouds" are everywhere (just about unavoidable in thw world of IP authentication transimissions actually) much to the chagrin of MSoft no doubt lol. Google (just run it flawed and let the bugs/germs be fwee!!) and any other generic "droid" apps., are not the best for practicing any "security enhance" methods...Apple gets a little better "grade" for at least trying to keep a little "checksum integrity".
People need to "devolve" a little with some of the technology stuff. Why have everything "cloud" accessible, when "everything" really doesn't need to be. Imagine the actual worthwhile WORK, that might get accomplished again!!!
And how many versions of Windows do people reallllly need in any given seven or so year time Microsoft.
But in all fairness, HAIL MSoft and their support of products at least!
Okay, now that we've roasted the computer industry :-).....
All I can see you saying in here is that you hate progress because it's "inconvenient."
PTK

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes…
Your IP is authenticated with your internet provider every time you go on line (You wouldn’t want just anyone using your allotted bandwidth would you – right?).
When you surf any website – anywhere at any time then the server hosting that website logs your IP.
When you surf any website then any and every hop server on the route logs your IP
You want to post on topic then (even as an anonymous user) the topix server logs your IP, date and time of access, which pages you visited, which pages you posted on and even which browser and version you are using.
The servers in between you and topix log your IP date and time where the hop originated and it’s destination etc… In my case there are currently 6 different servers excluding my own router, my server, my PC and the topix routers and server.
Therefore every website you visit, every piece of information, every email you send can be traced back to your computer should any empowered authorities wish to trace it.
Just take a look at your temporary internet files folder to see how much information you personally use. Each piece of information stored there can be traced from its source back to your PC. Now multiply that by and estimated 2.5 billion users.
If there is no pressing legal reason to trace it then why bother? There is simply too much data to bother
So why should any public cloud be different just because you are paranoid?
There is an alternative, feel free to take it
That alternative is get rid of what feeds your paranoia
A+, COMPTIA Security+ and mucho misc other training here....Years worth.

Two reasons, why we have Civil Law enforcement as well...1) idiots that are sooooo ignorant, that 2)they can only slander and stalk others.

WELL worth the time in "sniffing " them down, like the dogchit they are, and making them accountable for what they let roll across and out of their dumps in my opinion.

But thanks for explaining it to others, who might think the screens they hide behind are somehow "private". Nothing like a good dose of reality :-).
PTK

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

ROCKER wrote:
Rock on!
Don't work TOO hard though!!
PTK

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not read most of my post, rather telling, no? I presented valid and logical reasoning, as well as provided explanations of that logic and reasoning, and you skipped all that just to post your opinion.
No, not at all.
I wasn't responding to your post, I was responding to someone ELSE'S. Do you have a problem with that?
PTK

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you checked out Libre Office? It's a spin-off from OOo that is showing more promise. OOo is actually falling behind slowly but surely, and very sadly because it was the par-none office suite for so long. But Libre is almost identical to it in layout and is being actively developed. Just a heads up really, you should check it out in case OOo drops the ball for the last time soon.
There's reasons why too...unless you're one of those people that likes your computers to be aligned with digital black bubonic plague type environments, with no anti-toxins available, that the Functional WORKING world has neither the time or the energy to WASTE, putzing with.
PTK

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
All I can see you saying in here is that you hate progress because it's "inconvenient."
All I can see in that statement, is that you have some rather non-sensical, back-assward issues, because you have NO idea of what you're just "witch huntingly, hatefully judging", nor any right to do it, what so ever.
PTK

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Microsoft wants to put all of it's users into a Cloud system. Just an FYI, if you don't like it, you'll switch to something where you get to choose.
Which will STILL be authentically traceable...for accountability.

And so it all should. Nothing worse than chickenchits that try and hide-like the chickenchits they are.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, I have heard of it, my tecky has mentioned it (a couple of times – LOL) but we have not seen the need to change (yet). It’s on the horizon thought and it certainly looks interesting
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

PTK wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever see Facebook's kingdom stateside...Unflippin' believable. And the masses flock on...and the employees of the world flock on...and on and on.
As I've posted already. I don't use my name online. I also don't keep a Facebook presence because everything that you do that isn't fully in the service of the Fatherland can and will eventually be used against you. Generally, I agree that the data is out there and really, it would not be cost effective for corporations to index it all. The government might though, under the auspices of protecting against terrorism.

The important thing is that it's there. If you have a political agenda that rocks their boat, they can and will retrieve that data eventually. If they want to spy on you, they could go directly to the source. Complex spying is no longer required as long as you're packing a cell phone. They know where you are and can drop in anytime they want to.

For now, Big Brother is about legitimacy, not whether or not they can and do use it. Don't bother trying to go underground. You can't. They just want you to accept them in your lives. The real question about paranoia all leads to the one rhetorical statement "if you've got nothing to hide, then you've got nothing to fear". Well, I suppose if you're young, dumb and full of scum, you're worth keeping in the labor force to feed the intelligence apparatus and war machine. Sooner or later, you'll be out of the curve, too old, too smart, too lazy, too fat or just too interested in your own well-being.

Paranoia is a bad word. It's hard to imagine NAZI Germany existing within the lifetimes of people alive today but that is very much the case, and the younger generation of sheep are destined not to see it for what it is and what it will likely be again. But if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear!

The best defense IS the security of the herd. But that herd becomes divided against itself soooo easily. That's why people like Assange may be annoying, but they are performing a very dirty job which should be appreciated. The State Dept. should never be casual in their treatment of the world and diplomats should be a bit more than poker playing good ol' boys from the party in power.

Don't think that ditching the cell phone will matter either. But if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. Just keep saying that.

Anyway, so we're off topic? There hasn't been a Creationist posting for days. There's nothing to debate!

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

PTK wrote:
<quoted text>
A+, COMPTIA Security+ and mucho misc other training here....Years worth.
Two reasons, why we have Civil Law enforcement as well...1) idiots that are sooooo ignorant, that 2)they can only slander and stalk others.
WELL worth the time in "sniffing " them down, like the dogchit they are, and making them accountable for what they let roll across and out of their dumps in my opinion.
But thanks for explaining it to others, who might think the screens they hide behind are somehow "private". Nothing like a good dose of reality :-).
“A+, COMPTIA Security+ and mucho misc other training here”

Uhhuh.'Nuff said.eh???

OK, it’s just that you were coming across as a paranoiac and unaware of the effects of your computing actions. I thought I’d enlighten you but if as you say you are aware, sorry to have disturbed you.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, I have heard of it, my tecky has mentioned it (a couple of times – LOL) but we have not seen the need to change (yet). It’s on the horizon thought and it certainly looks interesting
LibraOffice is based on Open Office. Oracle just has abandoned development of Open Office, so developers have taken the code elsewhere. Oracle likes to buy out Open Source products and then kill them, but usually they try to see if they can undermine Microsoft with the products first.

The Sun acquisition probably was more about having control of a stable operating system for hosting their database but Oracle has pulled other such stunts, MySQL being one of them.
PTK

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
As I've posted already. I don't use my name online. I also don't keep a Facebook presence because everything that you do that isn't fully in the service of the Fatherland can and will eventually be used against you. Generally, I agree that the data is out there and really, it would not be cost effective for corporations to index it all. The government might though, under the auspices of protecting against terrorism.
The important thing is that it's there. If you have a political agenda that rocks their boat, they can and will retrieve that data eventually. If they want to spy on you, they could go directly to the source. Complex spying is no longer required as long as you're packing a cell phone. They know where you are and can drop in anytime they want to.
For now, Big Brother is about legitimacy, not whether or not they can and do use it. Don't bother trying to go underground. You can't. They just want you to accept them in your lives. The real question about paranoia all leads to the one rhetorical statement "if you've got nothing to hide, then you've got nothing to fear". Well, I suppose if you're young, dumb and full of scum, you're worth keeping in the labor force to feed the intelligence apparatus and war machine. Sooner or later, you'll be out of the curve, too old, too smart, too lazy, too fat or just too interested in your own well-being.
Paranoia is a bad word. It's hard to imagine NAZI Germany existing within the lifetimes of people alive today but that is very much the case, and the younger generation of sheep are destined not to see it for what it is and what it will likely be again. But if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear!
The best defense IS the security of the herd. But that herd becomes divided against itself soooo easily. That's why people like Assange may be annoying, but they are performing a very dirty job which should be appreciated. The State Dept. should never be casual in their treatment of the world and diplomats should be a bit more than poker playing good ol' boys from the party in power.
Don't think that ditching the cell phone will matter either. But if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. Just keep saying that.
Anyway, so we're off topic? There hasn't been a Creationist posting for days. There's nothing to debate!
I was just amazed at the amount of investment going into what is often just such uselessness. Imagine that amount of funding, put towards stuff like jobs, health care for everyone, and other vital type infrastructure.
Not surprising though, and no wonder the economy says mired up in muck to it's neck, like little boy tongues stuck to iced over flagpoles...telnet to port 666, the new age of they know not what to worship :-).
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

PTK wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever see Facebook's kingdom stateside...Unflippin' believable. And the masses flock on...and the employees of the world flock on...and on and on.
Social networking is significant in its ability to spontaneously distribute news to the masses before Big Business can screen it for their approval. If you use it right, it's of value. If you use it to post compromising pictures of kids you hate in school, or commit acts of libel against people or just generally nurture moronic mob psychology, it's contemptible. I guess you can guess what I think most people passionately prefer to do.
PTK

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
“A+, COMPTIA Security+ and mucho misc other training here”
Uhhuh.'Nuff said.eh???
OK, it’s just that you were coming across as a paranoiac and unaware of the effects of your computing actions. I thought I’d enlighten you but if as you say you are aware, sorry to have disturbed you.
Well aware, I have never had the luxury of being mired in ignorance, it wasn't allowed when I was growing up :-).
PTK

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Social networking is significant in its ability to spontaneously distribute news to the masses before Big Business can screen it for their approval. If you use it right, it's of value. If you use it to post compromising pictures of kids you hate in school, or commit acts of libel against people or just generally nurture moronic mob psychology, it's contemptible. I guess you can guess what I think most people passionately prefer to do.
:-)
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

PTK wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just amazed at the amount of investment going into what is often just such uselessness. Imagine that amount of funding, put towards stuff like jobs, health care for everyone, and other vital type infrastructure.
Not surprising though, and no wonder the economy says mired up in muck to it's neck, like little boy tongues stuck to iced over flagpoles...telnet to port 666, the new age of they know not what to worship :-).
Two things. It's about becoming the standard while the opportunity is there, and it's about making a buck later. That amounts to advertizing or data mining. Google is probably the exception to the rule when it comes to advertising success, so data mining it is.

Too bad for the complete idiots who post pictures of themselves raping passed-out girls at parties. Too bad for the other idiots who think that's the bar for judgment.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

ROCKER wrote:
Rock on!
Still don't care Mikey.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Microsoft wants to put all of it's users into a Cloud system. Just an FYI, if you don't like it, you'll switch to something where you get to choose.
But net admin is my job. I accept the need to learn what businesses use.

Personally, I'd love to find a GOOD book for Linux beginners, and particularly one with good instructions on PostFix. Pushed E-mail support in a free product would make the deal a winner.

Most everything else that would be used in a smallish office can be managed fairly easily in its current state although I'd like to see better utilities for backing up MySQL databases. There's still a lack of trained people in Linux, so it's a win-win if I can find that niche.

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
LibraOffice is based on Open Office. Oracle just has abandoned development of Open Office, so developers have taken the code elsewhere. Oracle likes to buy out Open Source products and then kill them, but usually they try to see if they can undermine Microsoft with the products first.
The Sun acquisition probably was more about having control of a stable operating system for hosting their database but Oracle has pulled other such stunts, MySQL being one of them.
Cheers, that does make a difference to any decision we make

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 66,261 - 66,280 of111,615
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

201 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 3 min Marley 6,055
Add a word and drop a word 4 min Bezeer 899
Word Association (Jun '10) 4 min Virus 25,782
Add a Word remove a Word (Oct '13) 5 min Marley 1,259
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 6 min Stomps Tosser Shorts 2,956
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 11 min tora tora tora 34,737
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 11 min Sausage 17,188
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr Poppa bear 14,106
How to become Unbannable 2 hr Chilli J 59