Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70316 Jan 7, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>

Theism and atheism are COMPLETELY irrelevant to science.
Huh, that sounds familiar too lol.
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70317 Jan 7, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
To the casual listener it sounds like apologetics for Shubie's quantum god-poofing.
That's why the study of electron fields.

"In the beginning, there WAS light".

Tsk, and sigh.
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70318 Jan 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
now you're just using semanTICS
Not all...the jihadist terrorist attacks on America were PolTICal-as in PoliTICal Terrorism".

No "semantics" to that.

Political terrorism is a form of terrorism (a tactic of violence that targets civilians) used to influence socio-political events so that gains occur that might not have otherwise happened by peaceful means. There are obviously different types of psychic terror, from religious and magical terror, to fear of the natural world. Criminal terrorists — those who use blackmail, intimidation, and the promotion of fear — are differentiated from political terrorists because the former seek to enrich themselves, whereas for the latter, it is a sine qua non that terrorist action is motivated and justified by the furtherance of an objective cause.( wordIQ.com )

----------
Definitions

There is no single, universally accepted, definition of terrorism. Terrorism is defined in the Code of Federal Regulations as “the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives”(28 C.F.R. Section 0.85).

The FBI further describes terrorism as either domestic or international, depending on the origin, base, and objectives of the terrorist organization.....( FBI.gov )
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70319 Jan 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm the one who brought up the "app" first so why are you twisting things around? Kids who can read and don't have smart phones must have access to a dictionary. Yes that was the point until you used some obscurity in your language. lol
Actually, the hard back editions of the mention of dictionaries came first. Try to stay focused.

So, MY point as stated first, is still, absolutely VALID.

Kids should have access to dictionaries...be it what ever means. I personally prefer the presences of BOOK editions as well, because no not everyone has instant access to internet.

Nor should it allowed unrestricted in classrooms.

That is part of the PROBLEM these days...too much drivel and USELESS technology JUNK, and off topic garbage, and NOT enough actual studying, or staying ON TASK...no matter what teh task might be.
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70320 Jan 7, 2013
neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking negatively is bad? Many things should be approached only with a well deserved cynacism.
Politics is one example.
Science is another. One should always question new ideas.
Naivety on the other hand is bad. Like folks who think the absolute truth about everything was known to wandering tribes from the ancient Middle East.
Otay -boredum sets ineth now. Cheerio mateys lol.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#70321 Jan 7, 2013
AGOODelectronfield wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the hard back editions of the mention of dictionaries came first. Try to stay focused.
So, MY point as stated first, is still, absolutely VALID.
Kids should have access to dictionaries...be it what ever means. I personally prefer the presences of BOOK editions as well, because no not everyone has instant access to internet.
Nor should it allowed unrestricted in classrooms.
That is part of the PROBLEM these days...too much drivel and USELESS technology JUNK, and off topic garbage, and NOT enough actual studying, or staying ON TASK...no matter what teh task might be.
We have a joke in education:
Drop a book? You pick it up.
Drop an iPad? You sweep it up.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#70322 Jan 7, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
We have a joke in education:
Drop a book? You pick it up.
Drop an iPad? You sweep it up.
Ohhhh that's not funny!

Shame on you!

NO DROPPING the ipads lol.
neutral observer

Lake Worth, FL

#70323 Jan 7, 2013
AGOODelectronfield wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the hard back editions of the mention of dictionaries came first. Try to stay focused.

So, MY point as stated first, is still, absolutely VALID.

Kids should have access to dictionaries...be it what ever means. I personally prefer the presences of BOOK editions as well, because no not everyone has instant access to internet.

Nor should it allowed unrestricted in classrooms.

That is part of the PROBLEM these days...too much drivel and USELESS technology JUNK, and off topic garbage, and NOT enough actual studying, or staying ON TASK...no matter what teh task might be.
Of course we need dictionaries. Rely on things like spell check and you get a word but not usually the right one. More likely it will choose blew when you need blue or through when you need threw.
neutral observer

Lake Worth, FL

#70324 Jan 7, 2013
Why do we need a definition of terrorism? We all know what that is. When we were supporting the contras in Central America and the Islamic mujahedeen in Afghanistan (Bin Laden and al-Zawahiri were on our payroll) we were supporting terrorists. The rebels in Libya and Syria are also terrorists.

Washington has a long history of backing such groups. We seem to prefer Islamist nut-jobs like the Saudis to nationalists like Saddam in the Moslem world.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#70326 Jan 7, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohhhh that's not funny!
Shame on you!
NO DROPPING the ipads lol.
Blending is greatly preferred.

“The strength of science is”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

founded in facts.

#70327 Jan 7, 2013
AGOODelectronfield wrote:
<quoted text>
Stinkin' manipulative trolls, can't stay on topic for anything.
:-)
Oh, I know I wasn't on topic for any of that, but you get caught up with distractions sometimes. It did result from an on topic discussion if that makes you feel better about it.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#70328 Jan 7, 2013
neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
No... but it is the truth.
The politicians have been selling us out to communist China and to the Saudi monarchy for decades now. In spite of all the propaganda from MSNBC and Fox it is totally bipartisan. Clinton beat Bush and gave us more of the same. Bush replaced Clinton and we got more of the same. Now Obama is pretty much a Bush clone.
They all borrow from the foreign despots and outsource our jobs to east Asia. Both parties get their pockets lined by corporations who have subsidiaries in China and by Saudi oil interests and the crooks in Washington do their bidding. Why else would we be systematically targeting all of Saudi Arabia's rivals in the gulf region one by one? If not for them would we really be that interested in the Middle East?
Well, I guess that I'd have to ask if it's deliberate or just privileged kids doing what they always do, help themselves to entitlement, convinced of their importance "earning" the excess that they take.

When it comes down to it, it's our democracy. We still vote them in.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#70329 Jan 7, 2013
neutral observer wrote:
Why do we need a definition of terrorism? We all know what that is. When we were supporting the contras in Central America and the Islamic mujahedeen in Afghanistan (Bin Laden and al-Zawahiri were on our payroll) we were supporting terrorists. The rebels in Libya and Syria are also terrorists.
Washington has a long history of backing such groups. We seem to prefer Islamist nut-jobs like the Saudis to nationalists like Saddam in the Moslem world.
Definitions help keep track of various meanings, in things like, dictionaries.
Someone should send that youngster Jay Carney et al(or whatever his name is) one..so maybe next time, they can distinguish the difference between rogue (adj) dictators(noun), specific groups flying terrorism sponsored flags(gerund phrase), American film making(verb) antagonists, and collective mobs wildly (adverb) perpetuating acts of Terrorism, so they'll get stuff RIGHT- BEFORE they get on national telebision and make idiots out of themselves.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#70330 Jan 7, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Blending is greatly preferred.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lAl28d6tbkoXX
LOL
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#70331 Jan 7, 2013
The Bible tells us " IN the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". If we define create in the context the Bible is claiming, we could say the meaning is to bring into being or to cause to exist and all things were caused to happen as a result of God's actions.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#70332 Jan 7, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
The Bible tells us " IN the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". If we define create in the context the Bible is claiming, we could say the meaning is to bring into being or to cause to exist and all things were caused to happen as a result of God's actions.
Why would people believe anything that is allegory at best? The Bible is not a book of science.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

#70333 Jan 7, 2013
The only information related to the very beginning and what it was like when the earth was without form is in Genesis and we see that water was involved and also there was a firmament in the midst of the waters and it divided the waters from the water. If we were to divide water into its elements, what would we get?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#70334 Jan 7, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
The only information related to the very beginning and what it was like when the earth was without form is in Genesis and we see that water was involved and also there was a firmament in the midst of the waters and it divided the waters from the water. If we were to divide water into its elements, what would we get?
No, there is no real information about the beginning of the Earth. The history of the Earth is written in its stones. And the history of the universe is written in the sky. You need some scientific know-how to read these sources, but once you learn you will find that others read the same thing..

If we divided water into its elements we would get hydrogen and oxygen. By mass roughly 85 % oxygen. So what?
Cybele

New York, NY

#70335 Jan 7, 2013
FREE SERVANT wrote:
The only information related to the very beginning and what it was like when the earth was without form is in Genesis and we see that water was involved and also there was a firmament in the midst of the waters and it divided the waters from the water. If we were to divide water into its elements, what would we get?
Then please define the term "lake of fire" lol

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#70336 Jan 7, 2013
Some temple texts and modern books have said that the Lake of Fire in the Egyptian Religion is the lake that Ra would pass through in his daily journey in the Duat. He goes in the the west gate and exit through the east gate and after that, it would say that the boat was renewed.- wiki

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 9 min Mega Monster 7,743
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 27 min SLY WEST 152,723
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 34 min CJ Rocker 1,115
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 36 min CJ Rocker 6,901
Only Three Word (Nov '09) 52 min andet1987 11,636
Come on...Tell me a joke (Jan '08) 56 min ms_Sweeter 7,127
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 1 hr andet1987 138,394
7 Teens Come Home Pregnant From School Trip 1 hr SLY WEST 67
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 1 hr andet1987 26,736
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 2 hr rosanne 25,832
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 4 hr andet1987 2,989
More from around the web