Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
66,041 - 66,060 of 115,405 Comments Last updated 30 min ago
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70296 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Very inaccurate, there are many people who never need a dictionary. There are learning mechanisms and logic types that you have never even ones considered viable because they all differ from you.
Did you know that sociopaths actually just think differently than you? They lack the chemical reactions that produce the erratic and often detrimental emotions in their brains. Due to this all resources are utilized for learning, and they rarely need a dictionary because they become natural sponges for information. If we utilized these people more we could be on Mars already, instead of fearing them, another often irrational emotional response.
Many autistic people rarely need dictionaries either, they often become masters of using words and using even the least known definitions of words. Often twisting the meaning of what people say to suit their own ends, by utilizing obscure and lesser known meanings of the words to make what you say mean something completely different. They are also literalists, it's part of their logic method, everything is as it is, slang often escapes them, memes are a complete mystery to them.
Those are just the two of the top of my head. Two examples of people who don't need dictionaries.
Savants might classify in the category as well.

(Savant syndrome is a rare, but extraordinary, condition in which persons with serious mental disabilities, including autistic disorder, have some ‘island of genius’ which stands in marked, incongruous contrast to overall handicap. As many as one in 10 persons with autistic disorder have such remarkable abilities in varying degrees, although savant syndrome occurs in other developmental disabilities or in other types of central nervous system injury or disease as well. Whatever the particular savant skill, it is always linked to massive memory.)

The savant syndrome: an extraordinary condition. A synopsis: past, present, future.
Darold A. Treffert Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009 May 27; 364(1522): 1351–1357. doi:10.1098/rstb.2008.0326

PMCID:
PMC2677584.National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#70297 Jan 7, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude even you admitted a while back, that there could be no amount of scientific evidences that would convince you of the existence of God. So why do you all clammer on about proof that you would not except anyway? Geez.
If so then you should be able to link to the post where I said that. Of course anyone who knows me knows that you won't find it because I have never argued from a fundamentalist atheist standpoint. In fact I'm currently frustrating Skippy the 'Skeptic' by the very fact that he makes the POSITIVE claim that there definitely is no God and I keep asking him to prove it. KittenKoder can also confirm this if you happen to give a hoot.

Theism and atheism are COMPLETELY irrelevant to science. I don't argue from either of those standpoints because I have no NEED to. Never have. Science merely deals with what can be demonstrated and what cannot.

You may be confused where I've said that there IS no current scientific evidence of (a) God. However science is, has been, and always will be open to the possibility should some future evidence be discovered. It's just the simple fact at this moment in time that no-one on the ENTIRE PLANET has been able to do so. If that's a problem, it's not mine.
neutral observer

Lake Worth, FL

#70298 Jan 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you don't understand what the disorder actually means and the consequences of it in our society. Why would bad always remain bad and the good remain good? We need balance. Just like Yin and Yang. duh!
What do good and bad really mean? The meanings of both terms is totally subjective. Genghis Khan probably thought that uniting much of Asia (...and into eastern Europe) was a good thing. The idiots burning suspected witches at the stake certainly felt they were doing good. During the Civil War both pro slavery people and abolitionists could quote scripture to prove God was on their side.

Most people are out to take care of themselves and their families... not to do good or evil.
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70299 Jan 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
She's talking about "grade schoolers" They need to carry dictionaries!
I probably don't need dictionaries as often times, words will just pop in my head even if I'm totally unfamiliar with them. But I use the dictionary to verify that word is appropriate to use. It's intuition. It's something I learned to deal with writer's block.
No and WRONG- the inference was, demand that grade schoolers have access to dictionaries. Society as whole, will be better for it once again.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#70300 Jan 7, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
No one has ever claimed that life "raised itself". The appearance of life on the Earth was due to reactions to the state the Earth was in at that time.
Where is your evidence that they were looking at electron field? From my understanding they are looking at black smokers as the source of energy and quite a few of the chemicals involved.
To the casual listener it sounds like apologetics for Shubie's quantum god-poofing.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#70301 Jan 7, 2013
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You noticed that too, eh?(No, I didn't think that I was the only one to notice.)
No you aren't the only one. It isn't the first time I have noticed either. That comment about a gun weilding child killer is his hero because he killed himself was over the top. It is interesting that the babble became more incoherent when I went and found my post that set him off. There was nothing in it about my attacking a mentally handicapped person as he accused. It was very general and only an idiot would read what he read into it. I suppose the babble was the only real response he could give without admitting his stupidity.

It looks like you may be right. He is some kind of troll. As near as I can determine he made what seems like an admission of baiting you. I would call that being a troll.

I think I have made my point with him whether he wants to accept it or not. He is like some of the whackier creationists on these threads. They declare victory in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary and nothing you post will change that.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#70302 Jan 7, 2013
AGOODelectronfield wrote:
<quoted text>
Savants might classify in the category as well.
(Savant syndrome is a rare, but extraordinary, condition in which persons with serious mental disabilities, including autistic disorder, have some ‘island of genius’ which stands in marked, incongruous contrast to overall handicap. As many as one in 10 persons with autistic disorder have such remarkable abilities in varying degrees, although savant syndrome occurs in other developmental disabilities or in other types of central nervous system injury or disease as well. Whatever the particular savant skill, it is always linked to massive memory.)
The savant syndrome: an extraordinary condition. A synopsis: past, present, future.
Darold A. Treffert Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009 May 27; 364(1522): 1351–1357. doi:10.1098/rstb.2008.0326
PMCID:
PMC2677584.National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine.
That is true.
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70303 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't. To them, we're all just humans.
Treating people like "humans", humanely, beats treating people like animals!(kind of have that one post above a little backwards maybe?)

Definition: A sociopath is defined as someone who is suffering from Antisocial Personality Disorder. Sociopaths show a pervasive pattern of disregard for the rights and feelings of others.

While it's common to think of sociopaths as criminals, even killers, such behavior isn't essential to the diagnosis of Antisocial Personality Disorder. The proposed criteria for the upcoming DSM-5 include that the patient must be 18 or older and have shown cerain behaviors consistently over time and circumstances.
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70304 Jan 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true.
Copy and paste of what I felt to be a qualitive description.
Thank you though for the affirmation!
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70305 Jan 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Anyways, that brings me to another question.
Is there such thing as a religious sociopath?
Seriously?

See: al qeada, Hezbollah, Hamas....

Palestine Liberation Front (PLF)

10/8/1997

Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ)

10/8/1997

Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLF)

and on and on.
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70306 Jan 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe. Because sociopaths are less organized in the head.
Seriously?

See: 9/11 attacks on the U.S.
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70307 Jan 7, 2013
neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
The elites? I think it is like with immigration. The fundamentalist teabagger types have a knee-jerk support for Israel and the elites just tip-toe around them out of fear they will go totally bonkers if the government adopts a sensible policy.
The Brits are really to blame for the Israel/Palestinian thing. Not the Jews or the Moslems. What did they think would happen when they carved up the Holy Land between the Arabs and the...?
Now you're digressing into world history, for goodness sakes.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#70308 Jan 7, 2013
neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
What do good and bad really mean? The meanings of both terms is totally subjective. Genghis Khan probably thought that uniting much of Asia (...and into eastern Europe) was a good thing. The idiots burning suspected witches at the stake certainly felt they were doing good. During the Civil War both pro slavery people and abolitionists could quote scripture to prove God was on their side.
Most people are out to take care of themselves and their families... not to do good or evil.
I'm not talking about good or evil. I said good or bad. Ex. Good can mean acquiring or developing skills and bad can mean thinking negatively.
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70309 Jan 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you don't understand what the disorder actually means and the consequences of it in our society. Why would bad always remain bad and the good remain good? We need balance. Just like Yin and Yang. duh!
Oh I absolutely understand people have disorders, multitudes of them in fact.
Even down to those who just like using excuses to blame others, to try and ciucumvent taking responsibility for their own bad behavior, poor choices etc etc.
And that parrot and repeat "balance thing" exhibits some rather "sociopathic" stalker type tendencies in and of itself--as in taking upon characteristics of another in attempts to feign some sort of individuality.
Humans do need balance in lots of ways, in proper nutrition, proper rest etc. New studies are showing more and more these days, just how real the negative effects are, that lack of proper resting and sleep, and structure, have on peoples phsysiologilical well being over all.
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70310 Jan 7, 2013
neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
And well they should.(take care of their families!)

Level 5

above and beyond

#70311 Jan 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Seriously?
See: 9/11 attacks on the U.S.
now you're just using semanTICS
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70312 Jan 7, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>No you aren't the only one. It isn't the first time I have noticed either. That comment about a gun weilding child killer is his hero because he killed himself was over the top. It is interesting that the babble became more incoherent when I went and found my post that set him off. There was nothing in it about my attacking a mentally handicapped person as he accused. It was very general and only an idiot would read what he read into it. I suppose the babble was the only real response he could give without admitting his stupidity.
It looks like you may be right. He is some kind of troll. As near as I can determine he made what seems like an admission of baiting you. I would call that being a troll.
I think I have made my point with him whether he wants to accept it or not. He is like some of the whackier creationists on these threads. They declare victory in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary and nothing you post will change that.
Stinkin' manipulative trolls, can't stay on topic for anything.

:-)

Level 5

above and beyond

#70313 Jan 7, 2013
<quoted text>
No, TICS are pests, and I am not "used" to "kill" anything, is that some sort of delusion? So why would everyone carry a dictionary, in the digital age, when even 8 year olds can find dictionary apps?
I'm the one who brought up the "app" first so why are you twisting things around? Kids who can read and don't have smart phones must have access to a dictionary. Yes that was the point until you used some obscurity in your language. lol
AGOODelectronfie ld

Somerset, KY

#70314 Jan 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not talking about good or evil. I said good or bad. Ex. Good can mean acquiring or developing skills and bad can mean thinking negatively.
Acquiring skills to use for GOOD, would be a "good". Using Science to make the world a BETTER place for example, would be good. TO use the same for bad, would be "bad". Al quada and the terorists who attacked America with learned " avaiation skills" for an example, is bad.

Everyone has negative thoughts, some are due to chemical imbalance, environmental factors, and a myriad of other reasons. That doesn't make necessarilythem "good" or "bad". Acting upon them in ways that would hurt themselves, or others, being the key difference there.
neutral observer

Lake Worth, FL

#70315 Jan 7, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking negatively is bad? Many things should be approached only with a well deserved cynacism.

Politics is one example.

Science is another. One should always question new ideas.

Naivety on the other hand is bad. Like folks who think the absolute truth about everything was known to wandering tribes from the ancient Middle East.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 4 min LOST IN MISSISSIPPI 36,115
ISIS just beheaded 16 min Big Time 21
Think you know who everyone is? (Feb '13) 21 min Big Time 467
What is your favorite DOLLAR STORE purchase? (Jun '09) 24 min Big Time 409
We Need New Topic To Discuss!!!!!! (Jul '06) 28 min Enter Username 211
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 30 min _Brenda_ 145,560
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 42 min -Lea- 18,729
Women Hid Stolen Watches in Their Vaginas in Bi... 3 hr beatlesinthebog 41
•••
Enter and win $5000