Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#69983 Jan 5, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
We already know the secrets of the bible. Do you think the periodic table does too? I think it does. I think if scientists study it, they would find out things we don't know yet such as which atom came to existence first, etc. Before finding out about the God Particle (Higgs Boson), shouldn't we first know which atom was created first?
You think more than you study, this could explain why you are still stuck on second century ideas instead of catching up with modern scientific facts. Then you make an assumption at the end, you assume things were "created" and not the result of further interactions of other various non-intelligent forces. Then you do the "which atom" thing, well, we know, it was hydrogen.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#69984 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You think more than you study, this could explain why you are still stuck on second century ideas instead of catching up with modern scientific facts. Then you make an assumption at the end, you assume things were "created" and not the result of further interactions of other various non-intelligent forces. Then you do the "which atom" thing, well, we know, it was hydrogen.
I was leaning towards hydrogen as well. So explain how it was formed without something created it?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#69985 Jan 5, 2013
Based on this premise:

"Hydrogen is the raw fuel that most stars 'burn' to produce energy. The same process, known as fusion, is being studied as a possible power source for use on earth. The sun's supply of hydrogen is expected to last another 5 billion years."

We know that STARS did it and life was created on earth.

Now if we go further back, how do we explain the birth of a star? Which element was created first?
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#69986 Jan 5, 2013
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
On the contrary, it tells me that society is slow to realize that some of their laws are nothing more than motivated by prejudice.
So your point is?
My point isn't the point. THE point is the epiphany of knowing when you're pointing a gun at your own head.

If you want a tip, accept that perfection is not strength. Adaptability is strength.(Getting back on topic, one way or another!) If you're interested in progress, you'll need to start asking the right questions. The truth will come racing at you faster than you'll like it, once others see you walking a straight line, rather than swimming around like the other mindless thralls. Thralls adapt, but they don't know perfection. Perfectionists don't adapt, but they waste their time controlling the uncontrollable.

And so, the moral of the story..

Me? I answer a question with another question. YOU!...don't know the truth, and so you don't get the truth, or at least not enough of it to make a difference. You have to choose to ask the right questions, which first means you have to stop living in denial. So, let's end this Cheshire cat dialog, and you can decide who you are and what you really want.

I?...live in the moment. Every time you react, you've already slipped into the past.

When you can dissect this quaint monolog existentially, you'll have a clue!:)

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#69987 Jan 5, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
My point isn't the point. THE point is the epiphany of knowing when you're pointing a gun at your own head.
If you want a tip, accept that perfection is not strength. Adaptability is strength.(Getting back on topic, one way or another!) If you're interested in progress, you'll need to start asking the right questions. The truth will come racing at you faster than you'll like it, once others see you walking a straight line, rather than swimming around like the other mindless thralls. Thralls adapt, but they don't know perfection. Perfectionists don't adapt, but they waste their time controlling the uncontrollable.
And so, the moral of the story..
Me? I answer a question with another question. YOU!...don't know the truth, and so you don't get the truth, or at least not enough of it to make a difference. You have to choose to ask the right questions, which first means you have to stop living in denial. So, let's end this Cheshire cat dialog, and you can decide who you are and what you really want.
I?...live in the moment. Every time you react, you've already slipped into the past.
When you can dissect this quaint monolog existentially, you'll have a clue!:)
So now an evolutionist has an idea of Perfection as opposed to Random. lol!

Way to go to have a TOE in your mouth!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#69988 Jan 5, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny. Laurel and Hardy called...said you needed A (one) sanitary wipe for yer mouthn' lol.
On the very good chance that you really are that ignorant:

"He [Higgs] is displeased that the Higgs particle is nicknamed the "God particle", as he believes the term "might offend people who are religious".
Usually this nickname for the Higgs boson is attributed to Leon Lederman, the author of the book The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?, but the name is the result of the insistence of Lederman's publisher: Lederman had originally intended to refer to it as the "goddamn particle"." - Wiki.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#69989 Jan 5, 2013
Dude doesn't give two 'hoots'. The question is can he 'shoot?'

Anonymous points a gun in his head. The question is can he 'shoot?'

LOL! You guys are like crack in the head. What shooting stars ;-)

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#69990 Jan 5, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I was leaning towards hydrogen as well. So explain how it was formed without something created it?
Physicists have a very complete, and extremely complicated answer for that. I do not, ask one of them. Postulating such matters is rather inane and unless you know about physics and quantum mechanics, you will never have an answer, all you can do is make up answers, which is a huge waste of time and effort unless you make money writing fiction.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#69991 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Physicists have a very complete, and extremely complicated answer for that. I do not, ask one of them. Postulating such matters is rather inane and unless you know about physics and quantum mechanics, you will never have an answer, all you can do is make up answers, which is a huge waste of time and effort unless you make money writing fiction.
Ah, you just gave me an IDEA. I write fiction, so what, but only on a different level. Not that you can't comprehend it. lol

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#69992 Jan 5, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, you just gave me an IDEA. I write fiction, so what, but only on a different level. Not that you can't comprehend it. lol
The scientific minds know a lot about the universe, it would take you a hundred lifetimes of solid study to learn it all. It takes less time to study something than it does to postulate pointless fancies, it just requires two things:

1. Lots of work to comprehend it.

2. Admitting you don't know.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#69993 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The scientific minds know a lot about the universe, it would take you a hundred lifetimes of solid study to learn it all. It takes less time to study something than it does to postulate pointless fancies, it just requires two things:
1. Lots of work to comprehend it.
2. Admitting you don't know.
or you can make up a lie that reveals the truth. You really need a JUMP start in your brain. It's called search engine. lol

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#69994 Jan 5, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
or you can make up a lie that reveals the truth. You really need a JUMP start in your brain. It's called search engine. lol
Yes, I have developed a couple of those, so what's your point?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#69995 Jan 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>On the very good chance that you really are that ignorant:
"He [Higgs] is displeased that the Higgs particle is nicknamed the "God particle", as he believes the term "might offend people who are religious".
Usually this nickname for the Higgs boson is attributed to Leon Lederman, the author of the book The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?, but the name is the result of the insistence of Lederman's publisher: Lederman had originally intended to refer to it as the "goddamn particle"." - Wiki.
I bet Higgs was really trying to appeal to a be-LIE-ver.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#69996 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I have developed a couple of those, so what's your point?
I developed a multiple. lol

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#69997 Jan 5, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Cellular memory isn't really a thing.
Then what is it? Memory cell is just in computers?

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Level 4

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#69998 Jan 5, 2013
The more I look at the complexeties of living organisms...the more I'm convenced there is a creator...or maybe a whole bunch of creators...

None of this is happen chance...

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Level 4

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#69999 Jan 5, 2013
Man can fight over assigning this creator, or these creators, personalities, and political motives...

But all that aside...life did not simply evolve, invent itself, out of dead matter...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#70000 Jan 5, 2013
Time and Space wrote:
The more I look at the complexeties of living organisms...the more I'm convenced there is a creator...or maybe a whole bunch of creators...
None of this is happen chance...
Appeal to ignorance ... and it's your own ignorance.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#70001 Jan 5, 2013
Cybele wrote:
Dude doesn't give two 'hoots'. The question is can he 'shoot?'
Anonymous points a gun in his head. The question is can he 'shoot?'
LOL! You guys are like crack in the head. What shooting stars ;-)
Tsk! Tsk! You don't really have a Zen approach to things! Remember my little essay on pain and pleasure? Question: What would be the equation if say, birds or cats or dinosaurs, had 1 or 2 bit responses to pain and pleasure, but quantified on a two or three bit level of parallelism?

You know, I used to think we were all the same inside, like the "rainbow power" preachers like to claim. Bad assumption! Bad monkey! Bad me! ;D

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Level 4

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#70002 Jan 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Appeal to ignorance ... and it's your own ignorance.
Only someone who doesn't study science, and understands laws of nature, would say that...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association (Jun '10) 8 min wichita-rick 27,448
Word Association (Mar '10) 13 min wichita-rick 17,120
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 17 min _FLATLINE-------- 8,181
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 18 min _FLATLINE-------- 3,307
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 21 min wichita-rick 161,877
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 22 min _FLATLINE-------- 7,932
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 26 min wichita-rick 909
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 43 min Jennifer Renee 10,953
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 1 hr -CatCiao- 8,278
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Think real hard 40,305
News Study: Beards are filled with poop and 'as dirt... 2 hr Spotted Girl 16
More from around the web