Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
65,581 - 65,600 of 114,593 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

in fact, anything preceding the big bang would have to be within the confines of time...by the very nature that it preceded...(came before)...so time would have to exist for this scenario to happen...
neutral observer

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
just poof!...right out of thin air?
Unless of course a previous universe collapsed in on itself and collapsed into... and then was reborn.

A born again universe.

No one can see past the big bang. We can speculate I suppose.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless of course a previous universe collapsed in on itself and collapsed into... and then was reborn.
A born again universe.
No one can see past the big bang. We can speculate I suppose.
that a pretty old theory if I remember right...I was thinking it had been discarded.(?)
neutral observer

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
in fact, anything preceding the big bang would have to be within the confines of time...by the very nature that it preceded...(came before)...so time would have to exist for this scenario to happen...
Maybe the cause came after the effect? Remember things like black holes effect not only space but also time.

Or maybe the big bang is really just a little bang in a much larger universe of such explosive creation events? Just because you lack imagination...

Certainly a bunch of primitivist shepards wandering around in the deserts of the Middle East and talking to "gods" had no concept of such things.
neutral observer

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
that a pretty old theory if I remember right...I was thinking it had been discarded.(?)
Do you prefer the multiverse thing where there are many such universes being born and dying all the time and something in another of them ignited our big bang creation event?

If you believe God just popped into existence and then decided to create... why not save a step and just say the universe itself popped into...?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

besides, isn't the Universe speeding up...which would negate the big crunch theory?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the cause came after the effect? Remember things like black holes effect not only space but also time.
Or maybe the big bang is really just a little bang in a much larger universe of such explosive creation events? Just because you lack imagination...
Certainly a bunch of primitivist shepards wandering around in the deserts of the Middle East and talking to "gods" had no concept of such things.
well they seemed to have nailed the Observer Effect down.lol

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
let me ask you this then...Science says that the Universe virtually popped out of nothing...is this what you believe then?
Until a better explanation comes along that fits the facts, then Yes, I accept that theory. How is it really all that different from God created the universe from nothing. Perhaps he did. The Big Bang Theory really doesn't address the presence of God. It just works on the facts that we know to explain conditions as they exist.

Do you feel threatened by science? You shouldn't. If you do, but feel that God is more powerful, then go on with your faith. If you want to tell others that God is greater than science, go ahead, but don't destroy science because you fear it. Science will gladly change if you can show better explainations to match the facts then are currently being used.

If you believe in God and you have faith in God, what do you fear? If God decides that there are not enough righteous people on Earth, He is just going to blow it up and start again. There is no need for you to try to usurp God's authority and blow things up yourself.

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Level 4

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is why it's not science. Thank you for proving that creationism is just woowoo.
I lost track of you...but have found you again cause last post of a few days ago got deleted accidently do to bad connection...

Anyways so i'll start anew...

You cannot seperate 'creationism' from 'evolution'...

You are here...right?

So what makes you think 'God', a superior being to me and you, could not have under gone the same process say 1 billion years ago?

Or is life on earth the only life ever, that has been able to evolve...

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Science cannot be compared to 'God'...

Science is like an adult throwing lego bricks in a babies pin...and as the baby grows, they simply learn what they can do with the legos...

The planet Earth is simply one big lego set...

Man playing around with matter...

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

And contrary to what most Anti-Christian Athiest think...not everyone needs the bible, or the bibles stories or morality, to confirm or deny the existance of 'other worldy beings'...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Until a better explanation comes along that fits the facts, then Yes, I accept that theory. How is it really all that different from God created the universe from nothing. Perhaps he did. The Big Bang Theory really doesn't address the presence of God. It just works on the facts that we know to explain conditions as they exist.
Do you feel threatened by science? You shouldn't. If you do, but feel that God is more powerful, then go on with your faith. If you want to tell others that God is greater than science, go ahead, but don't destroy science because you fear it. Science will gladly change if you can show better explainations to match the facts then are currently being used.
If you believe in God and you have faith in God, what do you fear? If God decides that there are not enough righteous people on Earth, He is just going to blow it up and start again. There is no need for you to try to usurp God's authority and blow things up yourself.
your funny...
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. That is the most conservative view I've ever heard here in this forum. I know it's hard to break a system that works for some. But again, all these negating views are all about one trying to "fit in" and preserving what they think is the more superior inference.
The iota of human evolution can be analogous to a cell. We know it is evolving when it produces complex cell behavior. One can be defined as "impotent" when basic cytoskeletal mechanisms are suppressed. That makes one a simple yeast cell, unable to swim.
Ever heard of morpho-logical polarization of yeast cells? They become polarized when treated with mating factor from cells of the opposite mating type.
Our mating psychological make-up define our political views. Some views are the most sterile of its kind producing only one kind of mentality, cynicism.
I don't think the psychological make-up is that complicated. Animals and humans are uniquely different in that aspect though.
As I see it, pain and pleasure responses go to the cortex, but they are interpreted by the higher centers after that in a mathematical way. Pain pushes focus towards the front of the brain, pleasure to the back. Animals tend to process at a 1 to 2 bit level while humans tend to process at a 3 to 4 bit level. Males tend to organize their responses on an even number level while females are predisposed to process on an odd number level.

Basically, the hormones tend to push for a fight or flight mechanism, and even numbers are more tactical in a fight, where odd numbers are more imaginative in a flight scenario. It's not an absolute though. Environmental conditions can cause the male or female to go against the odds.

Just another theory from lil' old me. My sociology theories tend to be based on my skepticism of group behavior but I sometimes just don't think most people see the obvious or maybe I'm missing the subtle. That little prophecy is just extrapolation based on the end of the oil economy that lots of people predict. Until there's a replacement for oil, collapse of our global economy seems inevitable.

But that's off-topic! Drew just keeps pushing it so I give what I consider an honest response.
neutral observer

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Time and Space wrote:
And contrary to what most Anti-Christian Athiest think...not everyone needs the bible, or the bibles stories or morality, to confirm or deny the existance of 'other worldy beings'...
Unless you have either a) been abducted by the greys or b) have a ship capable of interstellar travel how do you propose confirming or denying the existence of such beings?
Mother Mary

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Makesure100 wrote:
<quoted text>
FREAKSHOW.........Republicans and Democrats are followers.......leading us to have 17 Trillion in debt..........suck it up..........Freak. We don't vote........thank GOD.
So, Jim Jones has a drink for Thy, Marshall Applewhite wants to take a trip with Thy, Warren Jeffs, the prophet needs a bed warmer........Humans are simple minded animals.....add religion and its over....pray the gay away!

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
well they seemed to have nailed the Observer Effect down.lol
Who observes the observer? Why not give the role to an entity we call 'something' because without an observer, there will be NOTHING literally.

One call it God or Allah. One may even call it Big Brother.(but that's because our society thinks that Big Sisters can't do it). lol

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
your funny...
I do my best.

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Who observes the observer? Why not give the role to an entity we call 'something' because without an observer, there will be NOTHING literally.
One call it God or Allah. One may even call it Big Brother.(but that's because our society thinks that Big Sisters can't do it). lol
I always feel like somebodies watching me.

Level 9

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Time and Space wrote:
<quoted text>
I lost track of you...but have found you again cause last post of a few days ago got deleted accidently do to bad connection...
Anyways so i'll start anew...
You cannot seperate 'creationism' from 'evolution'...
You are here...right?
So what makes you think 'God', a superior being to me and you, could not have under gone the same process say 1 billion years ago?
Or is life on earth the only life ever, that has been able to evolve...
It is the only life we know that has evolved. However, we can predict that life on other planets, if it exists, would evolve as well.

Creationism is the belief that the process of the creation of life from nothing was done by a superior being or beings or a giant turtle, or a lady in a lake or whatever you want. There are various creation mythes from cultures throughout time and around the world. They have no evidence to support them, but according to their adherents, they all happened just as they are reported.

Evolution is the change in living organisms over time resulting in new information and new species. It may be related to the origin of life, but it is apart from it and makes no predictions based on the origin of life. Evolution is driven by mutation, genetic drift, and the nonrandom process of natural selection. Evidence exists to support the process of evolution and it has been codified into a theory that is the basis for all modern biology.

Level 1

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>It is our little friend Makesure. Upon these Topix threads he must indure his faith in man he doth abjure. How can he be so pure, yet remain off limits and obscure? Is he a foil and nothing more? He will not bend, his mission he remains objure.
Yet within this dark wood he doth blunder. While spreading this love of peace up yonder. The love, the mercy, his heart doth surrender. With the gentleness of blunt force trauma. Heed his words of wisdom he does proffer. Unless you get a better offer.
Where do you come from Freak? You make no sense. Perhaps in some corner of darkness you can communicate..........I don't understand you....thus, you are a Freak.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••