Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Level 7

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

#69765 Jan 3, 2013
neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
You find bones. The simplest explanation is something died.
God exists...

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#69766 Jan 3, 2013
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the simplest explanation IS "God did it." And those who insist on not accepting that simple explanation are the ones needed to prove the complicated explanations that are made up in evolution...
Okay...
Lets try an example...
Fossils exist...
Even simpler than that.

At the dawn of Man, ignorant, superstitious people attempted describe the natural world around them in terms that they could understand.

Example:

Lightning strikes a tree.

Their conclusion, "The gods must be angry!" That *IS* the simplest response to the unknown and meets Occam's Razor criteria.

It is also incorrect.

We now know what is the cause of, and nature of lightning, that it is the direct result of a static build-up and discharge of electrical energy in a nearby storm cloud, striking a convenient, grounded object.

That is, unless you still feel that lightning is caused because Jesus is pissed off at that particular tree.

Level 7

Dread Pirate Roberts

#69767 Jan 3, 2013
October 26, 2009Space limitations preclude correcting every error espoused by local evolution disciples ("Evolution vs. creationism, Oct. 20). However, Phil Dunham's argument can be refuted fairly briefly.

The darkening of pepper moths in England, as well as Darwin's much-touted finch beak variations study, violate an axiom known as Occam's razor. This, roughly paraphrased, posits that the simplest explanation for observed phenomena is to be preferred until disproved.

It's far more logical to assume that any species' physical traits that come to dominate a locality were always genetically present, and simply unobserved previously, rather than hoping that somehow, some way, these creatures' DNA learned from failure and improved. Science is based on observation, and the fact is these moths and finches remain just that.

Ironically, Mr. Dunham argues for stability of species when he discusses animal breeding. Even schoolchildren are aware how quickly the sterility of hybrid animal offspring prevents further variation outside primordially present species.

Peter Johnson

Dennisport

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#69768 Jan 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, here's the list of assumptions you make:
1. All the evidence is wrong.
2. Your specific god exists.
3. A god of any sort exists.
4. That god was dishonest enough to place contrary evidence.
5. That god even cares.
5. That god actually had a hand in it.
Theory of evolution assumptions:
1. That the mechanism are all natural.
Of course, God cares. Your own imperfections are all but the beauty in your soul. You really just think the female anatomy is more superior to male, am I right? lol

Level 5

above and beyond

#69769 Jan 3, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Even simpler than that.
At the dawn of Man, ignorant, superstitious people attempted describe the natural world around them in terms that they could understand.
Example:
Their conclusion, "The gods must be angry!" That *IS* the simplest response to the unknown and meets Occam's Razor criteria.
It is also incorrect.
We now know what is the cause of, and nature of lightning, that it is the direct result of a static build-up and discharge of electrical energy in a nearby storm cloud, striking a convenient, grounded object.
That is, unless you still feel that lightning is caused because Jesus is pissed off at that particular tree.
No it proves that YOU can't affect the natural forces around you when you might be able to.

We can create our own climate. LOL

Level 7

Dread Pirate Roberts

#69771 Jan 3, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Even simpler than that.
Example:
It is also incorrect.
You described the mechancal workings of lightning...the mechanical actions...such as the mechanical workings of a car...you did not describe the cause of the car...

Orlando

#69772 Jan 3, 2013
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
You described the mechancal workings of lightning...the mechanical actions...such as the mechanical workings of a car...you did not describe the cause of the car...
....and at the root of it all, there may be a Supreme Deity.

If He exists, however....He used Chemistry, Biology, Physics to do His bidding.

The Bible is NOT a science book.

(I basically said the same thing just now on a different thread)

Level 7

Dread Pirate Roberts

#69773 Jan 3, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
....and at the root of it all, there may be a Supreme Deity.
If He exists, however....He used Chemistry, Biology, Physics to do His bidding.
The Bible is NOT a science book.
(I basically said the same thing just now on a different thread)
No it isn't...

Science however cannot tell you the cause...only the mechanics...it can't even tell you the purpose behind the mechanics...

Orlando

#69774 Jan 3, 2013
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't...
Science however cannot tell you the cause...only the mechanics...it can't even tell you the purpose behind the mechanics...
Nor can you tell us the 'purpose' behind the mechanics.

But science DOES study the mechanics. If you choose to attribute meaning behind a snowflake falling "because God wants people in New Hampshire to ski!"....okay...I'm satisfied with the rational answer of the mechanics, without trying to guess at the purpose behind every act of nature -- because there is no "purpose" other than that which we, ourselves invent.

You can only speculate as to the author of the cause.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#69775 Jan 3, 2013
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
God exists...
First, where is the evidence that a god exists. Then your evidence that your god is the one that exists. Then evidence that your god did all that you claim. You just complicated everything way more than it needs to be.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tempe, AZ.

#69776 Jan 3, 2013
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
God exists...
Prove it...

Level 5

above and beyond

#69777 Jan 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You just complicated everything way more than it needs to be.
and yet you ask answers to everything
neutral observer

Lake Worth, FL

#69778 Jan 3, 2013
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
God exists...
Are you suggesting those are God bones and not dinosaur bones? Even if an intelligent being caused the big bang creation event still he would just be a more highly evolved life form from a previous universe. God is but an artificial construct.

Level 7

Dread Pirate Roberts

#69779 Jan 3, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor can you tell us the 'purpose' behind the mechanics.
But science DOES study the mechanics. If you choose to attribute meaning behind a snowflake falling "because God wants people in New Hampshire to ski!"....okay...I'm satisfied with the rational answer of the mechanics, without trying to guess at the purpose behind every act of nature -- because there is no "purpose" other than that which we, ourselves invent.
You can only speculate as to the author of the cause.
Okay...you're assumption is there is no purpose unless we assign it as such right?

Hmmm...

What happens if we take white blood cells out of a person completely?

“All things considered”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#69780 Jan 3, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps Mr. Edison could, but I can't. Below is a few quotes I found from him.
My mind is incapable of conceiving such a thing as a soul. I may be in error, and man may have a soul; but I simply do not believe it. What a soul may be is beyond my understanding.
So far as the religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake ... Religion is all bunk.
I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious ideas of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God.
All Bibles are man-made”
“I do not believe that any type of religion should ever be introduced into the public schools of the United States”
All of the above from Thomas Alva Edison
Perhaps he was a deist.
" ...a soul may be beyond my understanding."

and this be the way an agnostic would think.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#69781 Jan 3, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, because I am curious, that is why the "god dun it" no longer suffices, it's not an answer, it's an assertion, I want answers. Scientists give answers, they give evidence, evidence contains answers, their conclusions based on that evidence are logical and complete, and I have yet to see anything to suggest they are wrong about them.

Level 7

Dread Pirate Roberts

#69782 Jan 3, 2013
neutral observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you suggesting those are God bones and not dinosaur bones? Even if an intelligent being caused the big bang creation event still he would just be a more highly evolved life form from a previous universe. God is but an artificial construct.
God exists above just our 4-dimensional universe...

Outside of time/space continuum...

How then would you measure that?

It would be similar to a 2-dimensional creature trying to fathom our 4-dimensional world...

Level 7

Dread Pirate Roberts

#69783 Jan 3, 2013
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!

Level 7

Dread Pirate Roberts

#69784 Jan 3, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it...
You exist...

“All things considered”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#69785 Jan 3, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it...
If one could prove God in a scientific manner, there would be no need for faith. And faith is everything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Federal Disability Insurance Program 3 min Roy 9
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 7 min andet1987 29,999
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 9 min andet1987 2,953
Is it possible to....... 11 min Dr Wu 576
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) 12 min Princess Hey 232
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 12 min andet1987 26,689
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 18 min Jennifer Renee 7,579
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 18 min Princess Hey 311
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 28 min wichita-rick 152,491
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 1 hr Sarah 25,703