Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
65,201 - 65,220 of 115,223 Comments Last updated 16 min ago

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#69427 Dec 31, 2012
anonymous wrote:
in a court of law, only the voting majority and the biological "normal" matter.
In a court of law, the opinion of the court is all that matters. They don't have to base their decisions on what is "biologically normal". They base their decisions on human rights.
anonymous wrote:
Marriage is voluntarily entered into. If you want a contract, you're talking about a financial contract.
Marriage is more than merely a financial contract. It comes with a set of rights and responsibilities, effectively making each partner in the marriage the legal next-of-kin.
anonymous wrote:
EVERYONE has rights. You're handing out privileges.
Nobody is "handing out" anything. When two people marry, they alter their set of legal obligations toward each other. You have the right to marry. If you don't want to exercise that right, nobody is forcing you to do so.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#69428 Dec 31, 2012
So what, again, is the detriment here to single taxpayers?
anonymous wrote:
Inheritance taxes, plain and simple.
And this has what to do with marriage, exactly?
anonymous wrote:
I won't waste too much time on the prejudicial treatment by insurance agencies, no safety net when unemployed, and let's face it, unequal pay.
And this has what to do with marriage, exactly?
anonymous wrote:
So anyway, what's the recognition that one must have that civil unions can't provide? Granted, in their current form, they don't carry the same weight in some states. But if they did, that wouldn't be enough, would it?
If you've already got a legal institution of marriage, please explain why it would be beneficial to create *another* legal institution, called "civil union", that has the same recognition. For what purpose? What's the problem with using the *existing* legal institution?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tenerife

#69429 Dec 31, 2012
I want to wish a SAFE, happy and prosperous New Year to all of you...It's been fun arguing with everybody.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Level 7

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#69430 Dec 31, 2012
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
To the citizens of the United States of America, in the light of your failure to elect a competent President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective today. Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories. Except Utah, which she does not fancy.
Your new prime minister (The Right Honourable Tony Blair, MP, for the 97.85% of you who have until now been unaware that there is a world outside your borders) will appoint a minister for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.
To aid in the transition to a British Crown dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:
You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium." Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. The letter U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour' and 'neighbour', skipping the letter 'U' is nothing more than laziness on your part. Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters. You will end your love affair with the letter 'Z'(pronounced 'zed' not 'zee') and the suffix "ize" will be replaced by the suffix "ise." You will learn that the suffix 'burgh' is pronounced 'burra' e.g. Edinburgh. You are welcome to respell Pittsburgh as 'Pittsberg' if you can't cope with correct pronunciation. Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up "vocabulary."
Using the same twenty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look up "interspersed." There will be no more 'bleeps' in the Jerry Springer show. If you're not old enough to cope with bad language then you shouldn't have chat shows. When you learn to develop your vocabulary then you won't have to use bad language as often.
There is no such thing as "US English." We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of thereinstated letter 'u' and the elimination of "-ize."
You should learn to distinguish the English and Australian accents. It really isn't that hard. English accents are not limited to cockney, upper-class twit, or Mancunian (Daphne in Frasier). You will also have to learn how to understand regional accents -- Scottish dramas such as "Taggart" will no longer be broadcast with subtitles. While we're talking about regions, you must learn that there is no such place as Devonshire in England. The name of the county is "Devon." If you persist in calling it Devonshire, all American States will become "shires" e.g. Texasshire, Floridashire, Louisianashire.
Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as the good guys. Hollywood will be required to cast English actors to play English characters. British sit-coms such as "Men Behaving Badly" or "Red Dwarf" will not be re-cast and watered down for a wishy-washy American audience who can't cope with the humour of occasional political incorrectness.
You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen", But only after fully carrying out task 1. We would not want you to get confused and give up half way through.
Hehehe.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tenerife

#69431 Dec 31, 2012
Tinka wrote:
<quoted text>
Dogs cats and rats and Birds too GOD I hope they keep it together and don't steal each other's pet food...
Well theer are always treats though ...
So what's easy to tune out? It's new years dare and share...Truth ...
Hey there's a guy in the other thread he swears by truths...
Twiffle plonke
mee

Whitehall, PA

#69432 Jan 1, 2013
nope.... I am still NOT convinced that we came from apes. I don't know how we all came about, but it can't be from apes.
They cannot be my ancestors,NO WAY !!!!!!!
My heart and mind is my scientific evidence on this subject,until I see real proof in the future.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#69433 Jan 1, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't know how close to our own hard-wiring is to media-friendly know-it-alls to begin with. We don't know if they've experienced the same fears or were rewarded for their efforts in any way close to we were in our own efforts. For our own sakes, it's largely healthy to maintain a self-help point of view but we like to use someone else's feedback to assure ourselves that we aren't off course.
Cropped for space. Interesting perspective. Your fear of exclusion point is one that I usually remember to include as well, I just don't like to span post so I was attempting to keep it short, but yes, that is one of the aspects to the over/under sexuality through forced adherence that I have also observed.

Media is a monster, I can almost state that literally, it has a way of defining the culture now when it is suppose to be defined by the culture, like other art forms. It would probably shock some people, doubt you will be surprised, to know that media actually markets from tat perspective. They choose what they want to make "in" or "out" based entirely on some strange game of chess played for money and notoriety, I often wish there was some conspiracy at play where they were all being controlled by one single entity, it's more sane than what's really going on sometimes.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#69434 Jan 1, 2013
Time and Space wrote:
<quoted text>
That kind of reasoning is like waiting for a hurricane or tornado or tidal wave to hit...ignoreing all signs that say one might be approaching...
I'd rather be safe and evacuate...than to stand there on the beach front, and get washed away, or sucked up into the sky by a typoon...
Better to evacuate, take action, and there not be a storm, than to stand there waiting for evidence to hit you in the face...cause then when you are aware...it's to late...whooosh...now what?
What "signs," you fail to see, there are no "signs" of any deity, there are just assertions lacking evidence. You'd wager a bet of your entire existence on a one in a million odds? Atheists choose red, you religious folks are choosing one number ... our of millions. We have 50-50 odds, you are reducing your odds to 1 in a million, all based on a "hunch." Hunches are what make gamblers broke, and cops dead.

Even all that aside, if you're wrong, you waste your life while the atheist leaves a mark. That mark is the only true immortality that we know of, end of story.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#69435 Jan 1, 2013
mee wrote:
nope.... I am still NOT convinced that we came from apes. I don't know how we all came about, but it can't be from apes.
They cannot be my ancestors,NO WAY !!!!!!!
My heart and mind is my scientific evidence on this subject,until I see real proof in the future.
Saying "it can't be from" means you are saying you do know, so you contradicted yourself and exposed yourself to be a liar for your god in only a couple sentences. Still not a record, there are some on here who have done that same thing in three words.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#69436 Jan 1, 2013
Cybele wrote:
I think Science will become the new religion of future generations. That's the only way to save the evolution of our species.
now that's a scary thought.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#69437 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
now that's a scary thought.
Yeah, because it would destroy the actual benefit of science.

Location hidden

#69438 Jan 1, 2013
"I know this world is ruled by infinite intelligence. Everything that surrounds us- everything that exists - proves that there are infinite laws behind it. There can be no denying this fact. It is mathematical in its precision."

Thomas A. Edison

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#69439 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
"I know this world is ruled by infinite intelligence. Everything that surrounds us- everything that exists - proves that there are infinite laws behind it. There can be no denying this fact. It is mathematical in its precision."
Thomas A. Edison
Meh, appeal to antiquity ... or emotion, possibly authority. Too lazy to look it up. But you are talking about a quote from someone living in a time when they didn't even know that quantum mechanics explains "something from nothing" as well as chemistry explaining how life functions or that stars are actually balls of burning plasma generating heavy elements .... well there's a lot they had no idea existed at the time really. Because the mathematical "precision" is anything but precise, certainly not organized, and without a doubt not tailored for life to exist.

Location hidden

#69441 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, because it would destroy the actual benefit of science.
I would bet that your a big Dianetics fan.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#69442 Jan 1, 2013
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
In a court of law, the opinion of the court is all that matters. They don't have to base their decisions on what is "biologically normal". They base their decisions on human rights.
<quoted text>
Marriage is more than merely a financial contract. It comes with a set of rights and responsibilities, effectively making each partner in the marriage the legal next-of-kin.
<quoted text>
Nobody is "handing out" anything. When two people marry, they alter their set of legal obligations toward each other. You have the right to marry. If you don't want to exercise that right, nobody is forcing you to do so.
The opinion of the court is all that matters? Wow! That is vigilantism. The conservatives are right!

So, where does "legal next-of-kin" mean anything other than a financial contract? We're not talking necrophilia now, are we?

People are "handing out" tax breaks, and with legal recognition of homosexuality as a "normal condition", a lot more through inevitable social engineering programs.

You're right, I do have the right to marry. It won't be long before the majority are people who don't get married because both the liberal and conservative parties are only interested in enslaving everyone with legal obligations through marriage.

They've already shaken down the single people. The married majority knows that they are next because the party loyalists just aren't going to pay their share. Who's left? Illegal aliens, the other unfunded idiot agenda of the liberals. Who's going to pay for their votes? The liberals are dead. The conservatives can wait them out, but NOBODY is going to give working people a chance, so it's brinkmanship as usual.

Anyway, nobody is about to welcome the married majority with open arms. That's why change will come abruptly and painfully, but it will come. Greed on everyone's part means that bad karma will have to run its course. I don't expect a good government to replace the $hithole that this one has become either.

Finally, this forum is not about gay marriage. Stop sounding like Charles Idemi, demanding gay marriage as a Constitutional right when it isn't. The word marriage is not mentioned once in the Constitution.

http://www.usconstitution.net/constnot.html#m...

You want judicial opinion, you've got it. Most judges hate to go out on a limb. You can bet that the Supreme Court isn't going to act until Congress does, and that ain't happening anytime soon.

Anyway, I'm going back on topic!

Location hidden

#69443 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Meh, appeal to antiquity ... or emotion, possibly authority. Too lazy to look it up. But you are talking about a quote from someone living in a time when they didn't even know that quantum mechanics explains "something from nothing" as well as chemistry explaining how life functions or that stars are actually balls of burning plasma generating heavy elements .... well there's a lot they had no idea existed at the time really. Because the mathematical "precision" is anything but precise, certainly not organized, and without a doubt not tailored for life to exist.
It was pointed out before on this thread that "something from nothing" is basically a buddhist concept. The idea has been around for thousands of years.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#69444 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I would bet that your a big Dianetics fan.
I am not a fan of any religion, but as for the science fiction, never read it. I prefer more scientific authors like Asimov and Lovecraft.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#69445 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
Thomas A. Edison
Infinite BS, maybe.

There can be no denying this is useless politics from someone who's run out of ideas.- scientist looking for investors or government funding.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#69446 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
It was pointed out before on this thread that "something from nothing" is basically a buddhist concept. The idea has been around for thousands of years.
Your point? Quantum mechanics demonstrates how it can happen, that was my point.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#69447 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a fan of any religion, but as for the science fiction, never read it. I prefer more scientific authors like Asimov and Lovecraft.
L.Ron. Hubbard was a low-life. Check out his bio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 1 min Old Sam 17,568
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 3 min Old Sam 1,269
I cyber ice-bucket challenge ...in recognition ... 4 min Brandiiiiiiii 6
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 4 min Old Sam 3,243
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 5 min Jennifer Renee 6,019
Add a Word, Ruin a Movie (Oct '13) 6 min Old Sam 3,186
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 11 min -Lea- 18,587
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 20 min Adrian DeVine 28,498
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 55 min janice 145,180
Texas Governor Rick Perry Indicted 1 hr Bill 236
Fergson Police Dept. 2 hr CNN Don Queer Lemon 364
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••