Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Jan 6, 2011, Best of New Orleans story titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

anonymous

Franklin, PA

#69442 Jan 1, 2013
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
In a court of law, the opinion of the court is all that matters. They don't have to base their decisions on what is "biologically normal". They base their decisions on human rights.
<quoted text>
Marriage is more than merely a financial contract. It comes with a set of rights and responsibilities, effectively making each partner in the marriage the legal next-of-kin.
<quoted text>
Nobody is "handing out" anything. When two people marry, they alter their set of legal obligations toward each other. You have the right to marry. If you don't want to exercise that right, nobody is forcing you to do so.
The opinion of the court is all that matters? Wow! That is vigilantism. The conservatives are right!

So, where does "legal next-of-kin" mean anything other than a financial contract? We're not talking necrophilia now, are we?

People are "handing out" tax breaks, and with legal recognition of homosexuality as a "normal condition", a lot more through inevitable social engineering programs.

You're right, I do have the right to marry. It won't be long before the majority are people who don't get married because both the liberal and conservative parties are only interested in enslaving everyone with legal obligations through marriage.

They've already shaken down the single people. The married majority knows that they are next because the party loyalists just aren't going to pay their share. Who's left? Illegal aliens, the other unfunded idiot agenda of the liberals. Who's going to pay for their votes? The liberals are dead. The conservatives can wait them out, but NOBODY is going to give working people a chance, so it's brinkmanship as usual.

Anyway, nobody is about to welcome the married majority with open arms. That's why change will come abruptly and painfully, but it will come. Greed on everyone's part means that bad karma will have to run its course. I don't expect a good government to replace the $hithole that this one has become either.

Finally, this forum is not about gay marriage. Stop sounding like Charles Idemi, demanding gay marriage as a Constitutional right when it isn't. The word marriage is not mentioned once in the Constitution.

http://www.usconstitution.net/constnot.html#m...

You want judicial opinion, you've got it. Most judges hate to go out on a limb. You can bet that the Supreme Court isn't going to act until Congress does, and that ain't happening anytime soon.

Anyway, I'm going back on topic!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#69443 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Meh, appeal to antiquity ... or emotion, possibly authority. Too lazy to look it up. But you are talking about a quote from someone living in a time when they didn't even know that quantum mechanics explains "something from nothing" as well as chemistry explaining how life functions or that stars are actually balls of burning plasma generating heavy elements .... well there's a lot they had no idea existed at the time really. Because the mathematical "precision" is anything but precise, certainly not organized, and without a doubt not tailored for life to exist.
It was pointed out before on this thread that "something from nothing" is basically a buddhist concept. The idea has been around for thousands of years.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#69444 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I would bet that your a big Dianetics fan.
I am not a fan of any religion, but as for the science fiction, never read it. I prefer more scientific authors like Asimov and Lovecraft.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#69445 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
"I know this world is ruled by infinite intelligence. Everything that surrounds us- everything that exists - proves that there are infinite laws behind it. There can be no denying this fact. It is mathematical in its precision."
Thomas A. Edison
Infinite BS, maybe.

There can be no denying this is useless politics from someone who's run out of ideas.- scientist looking for investors or government funding.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#69446 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
It was pointed out before on this thread that "something from nothing" is basically a buddhist concept. The idea has been around for thousands of years.
Your point? Quantum mechanics demonstrates how it can happen, that was my point.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#69447 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a fan of any religion, but as for the science fiction, never read it. I prefer more scientific authors like Asimov and Lovecraft.
L.Ron. Hubbard was a low-life. Check out his bio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard

Location hidden

#69448 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Meh, appeal to antiquity ... or emotion, possibly authority. Too lazy to look it up. But you are talking about a quote from someone living in a time when they didn't even know that quantum mechanics explains "something from nothing" as well as chemistry explaining how life functions or that stars are actually balls of burning plasma generating heavy elements .... well there's a lot they had no idea existed at the time really. Because the mathematical "precision" is anything but precise, certainly not organized, and without a doubt not tailored for life to exist.
besides I'm not buying the quantum "something from nothing" because of the fact that there must be possibility before you can get something from nothing...so how can you have nothing if possibility exist?

...and the only way possibility can exist, is with the Observer Effect.

Location hidden

#69449 Jan 1, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Infinite BS, maybe.
There can be no denying this is useless politics from someone who's run out of ideas.- scientist looking for investors or government funding.
Sorry...I'm going with Edison. I do believe he was more qualify.

Location hidden

#69450 Jan 1, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Infinite BS, maybe.
Oh...sorry again...I overlooked maybe..

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#69451 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
besides I'm not buying the quantum "something from nothing" because of the fact that there must be possibility before you can get something from nothing...so how can you have nothing if possibility exist?
...and the only way possibility can exist, is with the Observer Effect.
You just want to twist anything to justify a belief in something you want to believe because it "feels" good. Yet your belief hinges on the exact same qualifications as naturalistic methods. If your something can come from nothing, then anything can come from nothing.

Location hidden

#69452 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Your point? Quantum mechanics demonstrates how it can happen, that was my point.
my point?...my point is that people that you claim to be primitive... because of the lack of today's science, were not as primitive as you think.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#69453 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry...I'm going with Edison. I do believe he was more qualify.
Yeah, being an inventor makes him an authority on God. I've heard that logic before. Sounds fundamentalist to me.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#69454 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh...sorry again...I overlooked maybe..
Didn't quite catch my parody? Well, you get my gist about authority.

Location hidden

#69455 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You just want to twist anything to justify a belief in something you want to believe because it "feels" good. Yet your belief hinges on the exact same qualifications as naturalistic methods. If your something can come from nothing, then anything can come from nothing.
You deny your own science because you cannot except the possibility of "God"...when in fact you state that " anything can come from nothing "

So what you are really saying is "anything can come from nothing, except "God"

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#69456 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
my point?...my point is that people that you claim to be primitive... because of the lack of today's science, were not as primitive as you think.
So, where are the algorithms they produced that demonstrate how something comes from nothing? Where do they show the 12 particles of matter and four forces of nature? Where do they state that stars are furnaces producing the heavier elements the rest of the universe is made of from the simpler lighter elements? Where do they outline working theories on how electricity functions? Where are their lightbulbs?

Location hidden

#69457 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact, science is just now catching up to concepts that are thousands of years old...which is actually quite funny if you think about it...LMAO

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Level 4

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#69458 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
What "signs," you fail to see, there are no "signs" of any deity, there are just assertions lacking evidence. You'd wager a bet of your entire existence on a one in a million odds? Atheists choose red, you religious folks are choosing one number ... our of millions. We have 50-50 odds, you are reducing your odds to 1 in a million, all based on a "hunch." Hunches are what make gamblers broke, and cops dead.
Even all that aside, if you're wrong, you waste your life while the atheist leaves a mark. That mark is the only true immortality that we know of, end of story.
Now that's a self serving stretch to say that to believe in a God or Savior, that your life is 'wasted'...

Heck, Algebra or the concept of, was began be Muslims...

I don't know anyone of faith, who feels their life is 'wasted' believing in a higher diety...and whom can be found in all fields of life, from politics to medical practitionors to pilots to civic leaders, to civil rights leaders to school teachers, athletes...

How is Tim Tebow wasteing his life?

Seems to me, many who are spiritual get far more out of life than the cold lifeless inner soul of some Athiest...

So I reject that notion that Athiest someone get more out of life by being so close minded...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#69459 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You deny your own science because you cannot except the possibility of "God"...when in fact you state that " anything can come from nothing "
So what you are really saying is "anything can come from nothing, except "God"
No, you are stating that only your god can come from nothing. I am stating we have no evidence of your god therefore the claim can be dismissed.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#69460 Jan 1, 2013
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure that you're not miscalculating the investment that science represents?

Granted, building the Pyramids or Stonehenge sounds amazing when accomplished by stone age peoples, but why don't we think through the likelihood of a respectable, but not amazing, lever and pulley system available to people of those times?

Very few things are amazing, just new and different. Sometimes the old appears to be new again.

From the point of view of holy books, I think that they partially represent a collective work of politics. As KK noted, Roman and Greek gods were like political parties. Their stories were a product of collective popular culture. Eventually, mythologies based on "one true God" that also included a divide-and-conquer myth became the absolute fashion and were refined over millennia, having elements co-opted from one faith into the next.

There's nothing "infinite" about them, our scholars often can't get their heads around the whole thing so they exploit the glitter of it all. I don't have to accept it just because I can't recite every page of the thing!

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Level 4

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#69461 Jan 1, 2013
When i see folks gathered around for Xmas...filling up churches, participating in civic activities, and 'worshipping' or 'praising' God, or his principles, or listening to gospel channels, and all the talented musicians, and or ministries...

I don't see anyone who looks like they're 'wasteing' their life...to me, from an observer, their lives seem to be more enriched and have more meaning, than your average sour souled 'we come from rocks and shall return to rocks' athiest...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The trooper fired at the motorcycle, and then d... 2 min TALLYHO 8541 71
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) 3 min Spotted Girl 1,453
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 7 min Roy 161,331
VCP-Cloud VCPC610 exam training 10 min elmer010156 1
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 37 min Grace Nerissa 31,770
Interesting Quotes (Jun '11) 59 min Sublime1 14,109
Create "short sentences using the last word" (Aug '12) 1 hr Grace Nerissa 8,325
motorcycle traveling stories 2 hr NinaRocks 621
News Pregnant Popeyes Manager Fired After Robbery 5 hr wichita-rick 20
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 6 hr Bill 18,178