Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
65,021 - 65,040 of 113,285 Comments Last updated 9 hrs ago

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69207
Dec 31, 2012
 

Judged:

1

True Christian make for bad soldiers...ask the Romans.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69208
Dec 31, 2012
 
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
They try... Only thing left to do is get same sex people equal rights and freedom and then the religous freaks have been stopped...
I don't particularly recall a right or freedom being denied to homosexuals. I DO recall a special privilege being granted to married people. That's not what you want though, is it? It's too easy to say that the privilege is about raising children, thus cutting same sex marriage out of the legal "legitimacy" that you're looking for.

Stop subsidizing breeding? I can go for that. Special protection for people who CHOOSE to engage with their own sex sexually? Nope! That's politics and the State has no business indoctrinating people with a particular flavor of politics, let alone subsidizing it.

Now, go find your "gay" gene. Go on looking for special protections, vigilante and unequal punishment of "hate crimes" and go on spying on people because you think it's your "right" to do so. So you've EVOLVED beyond us, and that's the main reason why fundamentalists are the idiots about Evolution that they are. Even fundamentalists aren't as contemptible as your pedophile politics.

Come on, BOI!!! By ANY means necessary! Right? Right? DO IT! USE IT! You WILL use it. You know you will. It's your PRECIOUS!! ;)

Any questions?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69209
Dec 31, 2012
 
I went to grade school where a Jehovah's witness was scolded, and made by the teacher to stand in the hallway, because he refuses to recite the pledge of allegiance because it gave allegiance to the government before god..which was against his beliefs.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69210
Dec 31, 2012
 
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Most governments secretly despise religion. They seek to incorporate people into their own belief system, and try get to rid of the competition...such as crucifixion and anti religious propaganda.
First, the post after this one. Actually that's very wrong, and backwards. Any religious person makes for better soldiers because they fear death less, the more they believe the religion, the easier they are to manipulate, and the easier they are to convince that dying for the war is the right cause. See terrorists for the perfect example.

To this post, nope. It depends on the government, and most governments have historically used religion to control the masses. Ancient Egypt did it so well they even had the people believing that their rulers were "chosen by the gods," and at one point even had the people believing the rulers were actually gods themselves. Each of the gods of Egypt represented a political party, the god with the most followers was the party that the people chose, essentially, thus determining which god, party, had the strongest power influencing policies.

Greece and Rome did much the same thing, though they didn't take the leader's status quite as far, the concept was the same. The UK was run by churches for a very long time, each country represented a different church, and it was through the preachers that the people were made to feel as if it was all how it should be, the weakness of christians, they are commanded not to question the leaders, preachers is another term for that. A monarchy cannot survive without religion, specifically religions like christianity, many of the others oppose single class ruling. The US was suppose to be different, allowing the churches to become the political parties though made that system begin to collapse, and now we're picking up the pieces wondering why we let it get so out of hand.

No, religion and most governments are butt buddies, they are inseparable. There are some governments that cannot thrive with religion, note that some governments not some forms of government. Stalin's implementation was one such government, because he had ditched religion himself it became a opponent for power, dictatorships are always dangerous no matter who gains the power.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69211
Dec 31, 2012
 
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The "only thing?" Sure, if you're gay. It's actually only one more step to equality, and that's the problem, that's why the US is so slow at progressing. We started this whole concept of equality, but we're so far behind other countries now it's sad, when we should be ahead. But we take one step, then think "it's all good now" until we eventually notice the other groups left behind. There are smaller, and more oppressed minorities than even the gay people. Atheists come to mind right off the bat, transgendered, asexuals, each group getting smaller and smaller the more we add on. All under represented, all without a voice in this government, and many not having their medical or social needs met because of it. The stereotypes of asexuals are horrible, we really get a ton of abuse from people who call themselves "professionals," even in the medical field.
Gay rights is only a baby step, and while it's a great step, it's nothing compared to what other countries are now working on.
Gay rights is like going to war to fight for someone's right to pick their nose! Yes, people are marginalized for many reasons. Choosing to grope people as a litmus test for their allegiance is an abomination.

The liberals need to step back and reassess their purpose. If they put peoples sexual fantasies ahead of all of the other breakdowns in our democracy, they're spent. If people who genuinely feel persecuted as homosexuals can't imagine why they collectively provoke prejudices, they have no business in politics.

Homosexuality IS A CHOICE! You can argue that people have a predisposition to it, but you cannot call it "natural" anymore than you can call epilepsy natural. Epileptics don't call their condition something to be proud of. They certainly don't try to encourage seizures. Why don't homosexuals simply accept the social discomfort they cause, and stop pushing it upon people who don't want any part of it? P O L I T I C S!!

Denial comes in MANY forms!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69212
Dec 31, 2012
 
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
First, the post after this one. Actually that's very wrong, and backwards. Any religious person makes for better soldiers because they fear death less, the more they believe the religion, the easier they are to manipulate, and the easier they are to convince that dying for the war is the right cause. See terrorists for the perfect example.
To this post, nope. It depends on the government, and most governments have historically used religion to control the masses. Ancient Egypt did it so well they even had the people believing that their rulers were "chosen by the gods," and at one point even had the people believing the rulers were actually gods themselves. Each of the gods of Egypt represented a political party, the god with the most followers was the party that the people chose, essentially, thus determining which god, party, had the strongest power influencing policies.
Greece and Rome did much the same thing, though they didn't take the leader's status quite as far, the concept was the same. The UK was run by churches for a very long time, each country represented a different church, and it was through the preachers that the people were made to feel as if it was all how it should be, the weakness of christians, they are commanded not to question the leaders, preachers is another term for that. A monarchy cannot survive without religion, specifically religions like christianity, many of the others oppose single class ruling. The US was suppose to be different, allowing the churches to become the political parties though made that system begin to collapse, and now we're picking up the pieces wondering why we let it get so out of hand.
No, religion and most governments are butt buddies, they are inseparable. There are some governments that cannot thrive with religion, note that some governments not some forms of government. Stalin's implementation was one such government, because he had ditched religion himself it became a opponent for power, dictatorships are always dangerous no matter who gains the power.
Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.

yea, right...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69213
Dec 31, 2012
 
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Gay rights is like going to war to fight for someone's right to pick their nose! Yes, people are marginalized for many reasons. Choosing to grope people as a litmus test for their allegiance is an abomination.
The liberals need to step back and reassess their purpose. If they put peoples sexual fantasies ahead of all of the other breakdowns in our democracy, they're spent. If people who genuinely feel persecuted as homosexuals can't imagine why they collectively provoke prejudices, they have no business in politics.
Homosexuality IS A CHOICE! You can argue that people have a predisposition to it, but you cannot call it "natural" anymore than you can call epilepsy natural. Epileptics don't call their condition something to be proud of. They certainly don't try to encourage seizures. Why don't homosexuals simply accept the social discomfort they cause, and stop pushing it upon people who don't want any part of it? P O L I T I C S!!
Denial comes in MANY forms!
Choice or not, we allow straight people rights and privileges that gay people do not get. Equality is not treating people differently just because of who or what they are, and that's what us activists are pushing for, simple equality.

Oh, and I'm conservative, I just believe in less government.

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69214
Dec 31, 2012
 
anonymous wrote:
Homosexuality IS A CHOICE!
Does that mean that sexual orientation is a choice?
Did you ever decide to become heterosexual?
When was that?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69215
Dec 31, 2012
 
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 5:44
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.
yea, right...
So you quote one verse. For every verse that says one thing, I can find another that says the exact opposite, that's how scams like these work. You live by one verse, another christian lives by a different verse, the one that says kill non-believers perhaps. Or your preacher says "god commands ..." .... do you deny that command?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69216
Dec 31, 2012
 
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you quote one verse. For every verse that says one thing, I can find another that says the exact opposite, that's how scams like these work. You live by one verse, another christian lives by a different verse, the one that says kill non-believers perhaps. Or your preacher says "god commands ..." .... do you deny that command?
really?...show me the verse that Christ says...kill your enemies.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69217
Dec 31, 2012
 
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
There were lots of people named Jesus, and many still have that name today. So?
Are there many people named Jesus of Nazareth?

Level 1

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69218
Dec 31, 2012
 

Judged:

1

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, you think they were joking?
Inkblots are seen time after time. As a matter of fact what you "see" in the inkblot is extremely telling in what type of personality, person, and belief system you have. It has proven accurate enough that even psychologists use it, not just the quack psychiatrists. What you report "seeing" in the inkblot is your subconscious, anthropomorphic, images based on what you imagine or even see in the real word, and enhanced by what your mind focuses on. When you focus on Rah a lot, you will see Rah in everything, when you focus on unicorns a lot, you will see unicorns in everything, when you focus on any mythology a lot, that will always be what you "see" in any random configuration of colors, even in agates. It's such a well understood phenomenon that there is a huge database of references for the responses to cross reference now and formulate an almost perfect profile of a person, with nothing more than random colors.
So no, your agates are no different than inkblots, you see what you want to see, or what you expect to see, even if it's not there. Post photos of them, without saying what they are, let us look. You won't because you know we'll not see what you see, if we see anything. Not seeing any imagery in the randomness is specific personality type, actually, one that we refer to as "skeptical."
The stone in my profile picture is a real Kentucky agate. I post using the name FREE SERVANT at times.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69219
Dec 31, 2012
 
xxxooxxx wrote:
True Christian make for bad soldiers...ask the Romans.
If the Romans were advocates of Christianity, they may have thought differently. You're demonstrating the chess game mentality that wasn't in early Christianity.

The second Vatican Counsel tried to break out of the Dark Age mentality and I see a growing urge to go back to the old ways. The church remains fundamentally unaware of the reality that people face in the modern, technological world.

Mostly, the Church and the world are finding democracy to be the desired place to be, yet have a hard time with protecting the democratic rights of those who don't serve their own agendas.

All authoritarianism is a dark path, and growing more volatile every day with new technologies. In this respect, yes, the state does not like the church. The state loves technology. The state hates to be bothered with creating an environment where technology flourishes.

As it is, both the state and the church are in a love-hate relationship with each other. It's up to the public to stop depending on both the church and the state for protection, and "protection" after the mobster definition, is about all they get.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69220
Dec 31, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
really?...show me the verse that Christ says...kill your enemies.
No, your god commands it.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69221
Dec 31, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>Are there many people named Jesus of Nazareth?
Probably. My point was, no one is saying there wasn't some street preacher named Jesus, we're asking for evidence that supports your god, or at least some actual miracles.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69222
Dec 31, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Thomas Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Does that mean that sexual orientation is a choice?
Did you ever decide to become heterosexual?
When was that?
I didn't have a choice in the chromosomes I got from my parents.

I'll say it your way! Sexual orientation is a choice!

Do the semantics matter? If the "prejudice" induced by obvious biological strategy makes you feel defensive, then maybe you have issues with nature that you're not being honest about.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69223
Dec 31, 2012
 
Bible Belt wrote:
<quoted text>The stone in my profile picture is a real Kentucky agate. I post using the name FREE SERVANT at times.
For some reason I cannot see your profile pic. This isn't an excuse though you may feel tempted to say it is. It's a flaw in Topix, actually, or some server miscommunication. Perhaps a link to it would help.

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69224
Dec 31, 2012
 
anonymous wrote:
I don't particularly recall a right or freedom being denied to homosexuals.
In 1977, Dade County, Florida passed a law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
Pop singer Anita Bryant led a campaign to repeal the law.
She argued that homosexuality was a sin, and that it could be overcome through commitment to Jesus Christ.
Jerry Falwell took a trip to Florida to help in the campaign.
The law was subsequently repealed in 1977 and not reinstated until 1998.

In 1980, after preaching about healthy sexuality, Anita Bryant and her husband got divorced.
That was a gleeful day for the gay rights activists.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69225
Dec 31, 2012
 
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Choice or not, we allow straight people rights and privileges that gay people do not get. Equality is not treating people differently just because of who or what they are, and that's what us activists are pushing for, simple equality.
Oh, and I'm conservative, I just believe in less government.
It sounds like you're a libertarian then. Libertarians didn't used to be automatically linked with conservatives.

Activism is fine, but provoking riots isn't. At some point, revolution may be necessary, but no revolution is likely to succeed without consensus. No one groups is disposable over another group.

The essential element that is lacking here is that advocates for change must accept that they are up against a "majority" whose reason for allying may be over, but the comforts of the status-quo remain. Take away the comforts of the status-quo from one group for no other reason than to indulge the whims of another group and you clearly aren't respecting the sacrifices being made by all.

Gays have equal rights under the law, but enforcement is probably lacking. They are NOT alone in that inequity so the arrogance of sickofit's post claiming "Only thing left to do is get same sex people equal rights" deserves to be shut down while denying the metaphorical physical contact that is the tool of irresponsible liberal politics.

It's not my nature to bash, but I'll gladly call out rhetoric for what it is. Perhaps when people rely on it less, there will be less fear and less of a tendency for things to get prejudicially out of control. Until the witch hunts end, expect the worst in all human nature.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69226
Dec 31, 2012
 
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, your god commands it.
you have no proof then?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••