Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“The strength of science is”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

founded in facts.

#69141 Dec 30, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Miss Universe Canada contestant. Transgender.
(I looked it up)
I had to look it up too. Seeing the pictures, it is hard for me to argue that she wasn't right.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#69142 Dec 30, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even close.
Your reasoning is no better than the religious zealots who believe that Man is made in the image of God and is given a free pass to exploit everything else on the planet.
At one time, some groups of humans were not considered humans. By your rules, they'd be open to any sort of scientific experimentation.
Assertions but no explanation of them. Why is it "no better?" I stated that something was bad because we didn't like it, how is that any different from any other "rules?"

“I be me, and you are...”

Level 6

Since: Dec 06

in a city...

#69143 Dec 30, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> English started in England. Is that too difficult to absorb, i think no.
Go on pissing.
LOL Is that a cuss word like bloddy and feck?
Go on NOW go piss off alright...
Bloody piss feck hare...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#69144 Dec 30, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
It crops up in a number of places in a number of religions.
Do you care more to attribute the source of a good idea to a particular group more than the idea itself?
You are confusing religious people with atheists. We give credit where due, but in general, it's the idea that's more important. Provide one religion that has all good ideas.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tempe, AZ.

#69146 Dec 30, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you care more to attribute the source of a good idea to a particular group more than the idea itself?
The 'Golden Rule has cropped up all over it seems. Found this list at Wikipedia

Ancient Babylon
Ancient China
Ancient Egypt
Ancient Greece
Ancient India
Ancient Tamizhagam
Bahá'í Faith
Buddhism
Christianity
Confucianism
Hinduism
Humanism
Islam
Jainism
Judaism
Mohism
Platonism
Quakerism
Sikhism
Taoism
Wicca
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tempe, AZ.

#69147 Dec 30, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Well perhaps the Egyptians...they seem to have a version about 2000 BC

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#69148 Dec 30, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Unsure of how that works. Roleplaying games are an all ages game, such as Dungeons & Dragons, Shadowrun, Call of Cthulhu (the RPG), and a bunch of others, I own many of the books, collectors' items mostly as I use the PDFs for actual gaming. Many VRPGs exist as well, and I own a lot of those as well, Final Fantasy being one my my favorites, I actually play those ones through. Dragon Warrior is another popular VRPG series.
So tell me, how is creativity actually link to sexuality? If so, does a person who creates "dark" themed art have a "dark" sexuality as well? Also, please present some evidence to demonstrate your assertions so I have something to actually consider.
So you want to know the relationship between sexuality and creativity? To me, sexuality is the drive that seeks to satisfy a desire and creativity satisfies that. For example, my desire to be spiritual and one with the universe (ALL) gives me increased awareness or consciousness. That creates emotional, chemical, mental or psychological responses to all that I want to be attached to. I think the higher the sexual drive, the more one seeks out ways to satisfy that desire. And being aware that there are many ways to satisfy that desire will cause a person to be more creative.

Now what is your point with all this? Can a skeptic relate to me?

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#69149 Dec 30, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Assertions but no explanation of them. Why is it "no better?" I stated that something was bad because we didn't like it, how is that any different from any other "rules?"
Because you claim that science has ethics. The basic principles of scientific methodology is:
1) Question
2) Hypothesis
3) Prediction
4) Test
5) Analysis

Step 4 is where your ethics is coming into play. Why is Mengele's testing so revolting?

Level 5

above and beyond

#69150 Dec 30, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>

A heart is a difficult thing to kill, I wonder how so many religious nuts do it.
We all do the necessary evil. Your mind can kill the heart just as much as doing the action.

Level 9

founded in facts.

#69151 Dec 30, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
So you want to know the relationship between sexuality and creativity? To me, sexuality is the drive that seeks to satisfy a desire and creativity satisfies that. For example, my desire to be spiritual and one with the universe (ALL) gives me increased awareness or consciousness. That creates emotional, chemical, mental or psychological responses to all that I want to be attached to. I think the higher the sexual drive, the more one seeks out ways to satisfy that desire. And being aware that there are many ways to satisfy that desire will cause a person to be more creative.
I can relate to you, but I don't know if I agree with the role you have given sexuality. It is interesting and I will have to give it more thought. From a personal standpoint, I should be one highly creative individual. I suppose it depends on how you define creativity. Is it just ideas or if the ideas have to always be rendered into some form?

I do consider sexuality and communication linked in that sex is a form of communication between people in addition to its biological function. This idea may be out there for some, but I acquired it and have since developed it after reading Stranger in a Strange Land when I was 10. I have not thought about the idea of pushing that desire into other avenues. Again, I will have to give this some thought.

Level 9

founded in facts.

#69152 Dec 30, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you claim that science has ethics. The basic principles of scientific methodology is:
1) Question
2) Hypothesis
3) Prediction
4) Test
5) Analysis
Step 4 is where your ethics is coming into play. Why is Mengele's testing so revolting?
The ethics in science don't need an external higher power as the source anymore than ethics in the rest of the world need it. All you can do is show your belief that it does.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#69153 Dec 30, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Creativity is an innate capability in all species, especially strong in many mammals. We have seen it demonstrated in almost all living organisms, even in those that reproduce asexually such as bacteria and viruses. If it was connected to sexuality then most species would not exhibit this innate trait. It actually appears to be the only trait common to all living things, which would be a qualitative argument for a "soul" if any. However, again, it has no correlation to sexual drive at all.

I can play a slew of musical instruments, even create my own music, but I am more a visual artist than any, online I have a ton or material demonstrating such actually. Yet I have no sexual desires at all. Now, does art require a "soul?" That's debatable, of course assuming that a soul actually exists. Lovecraft and many artists have demonstrated that even the dark itself can be artistic in many ways, the absence of life doesn't hinder the production of highly artistic or creative displays. Aurora Borealis is another great example of art simply existing. Other such examples include granite, marble, and quartz. There are a ton of artistic examples in biological life, more than anyone can count, even in the fossil record. The fern leaf, which can be represented mathematically very easily, is itself a form of art, thus even math can be creativity. The Mandelbrot is one of the most recognized, and creative, mathematical formulas in existence. It's beauty and intricacy is unparalleled ... it's perfection if any such thing exists. Most of these things require little to no sexuality at all to produce, even the star formations on any given planet. Because Art is simply another form of anthropomorphism, it's beautiful, but very explainable. Our minds seek out the patterns, the patterns then become art, creativity is simply another application of the patterns.

Level 9

founded in facts.

#69154 Dec 30, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
We all do the necessary evil. Your mind can kill the heart just as much as doing the action.
When the heart rules the mind, one look and love is blind.

Level 9

founded in facts.

#69155 Dec 30, 2012
Night all. Pleasant New Year to you all.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#69156 Dec 30, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Question
2) Hypothesis
3) Prediction
4) Test
5) Analysis
Where did I claim science itself has ethics? I fail to see how a method can have any such thing.

Level 5

above and beyond

#69157 Dec 31, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Creativity is an innate capability in all species, especially strong in many mammals. We have seen it demonstrated in almost all living organisms, even in those that reproduce asexually such as bacteria and viruses. If it was connected to sexuality then most species would not exhibit this innate trait. It actually appears to be the only trait common to all living things, which would be a qualitative argument for a "soul" if any. However, again, it has no correlation to sexual drive at all.
I can play a slew of musical instruments, even create my own music, but I am more a visual artist than any, online I have a ton or material demonstrating such actually. Yet I have no sexual desires at all. Now, does art require a "soul?" That's debatable, of course assuming that a soul actually exists. Lovecraft and many artists have demonstrated that even the dark itself can be artistic in many ways, the absence of life doesn't hinder the production of highly artistic or creative displays. Aurora Borealis is another great example of art simply existing. Other such examples include granite, marble, and quartz. There are a ton of artistic examples in biological life, more than anyone can count, even in the fossil record. The fern leaf, which can be represented mathematically very easily, is itself a form of art, thus even math can be creativity. The Mandelbrot is one of the most recognized, and creative, mathematical formulas in existence. It's beauty and intricacy is unparalleled ... it's perfection if any such thing exists. Most of these things require little to no sexuality at all to produce, even the star formations on any given planet. Because Art is simply another form of anthropomorphism, it's beautiful, but very explainable. Our minds seek out the patterns, the patterns then become art, creativity is simply another application of the patterns.
Again where did I say that satisfying a sexual drive means getting in bed? Creativity satisfies sexual desires. Creativity takes many form. I'm highly artistic and when express myself through art, I have subconsciously satisfied my desires. It's why we have people fetish. They're associating them with sexuality.

Level 5

above and beyond

#69158 Dec 31, 2012
typo - It's why some people have fetish

Level 7

Nehwon

#69159 Dec 31, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>The ethics in science don't need an external higher power as the source anymore than ethics in the rest of the world need it. All you can do is show your belief that it does.
But I don't claim that there is a supernatural force for ethics.

I'm asking where the ethics for science comes from.

Personally, I have a fairly good idea about that, but I wanted to hear ideas from others by asking a difficult question. I tried to frame it in a softball lob.

The resistance to my questioning speaks quite a bit. But understandable to me.

Level 7

Nehwon

#69160 Dec 31, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I claim science itself has ethics? I fail to see how a method can have any such thing.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/weird/T9QUH2O...

Level 5

above and beyond

#69161 Dec 31, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
What? The art you see in the universe is a product of an entity's expression of creativity, how do you know it's not sexual?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 3 min ms_Sweeter 152,887
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 10 min Mega Monster 7,818
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 10 min black shuck 463
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 18 min -Lea- 26,022
why does harley lie so much 19 min shes a pig faced cow 0
Did you get all you wanted for Christmas? 25 min Bree_Z 8
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 26 min harleyhoney 17,548
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 31 min eleanorigby 37,790
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 2 hr Bree_Z 7,417
Is it possible to....... 3 hr Laughing Out Loud 615