Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#68899 Dec 30, 2012
Consciousness Drives The Universe

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#68900 Dec 30, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean, when Constantine decided that it was more politically expedient to be a Christian.
Wrong. You are making up your own story.

Level 2

Location hidden

#68901 Dec 30, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean, when Constantine decided that it was more politically expedient to be a Christian.
How?
You are digressing from the truth.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#68902 Dec 30, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
Wrong. You are making up your own story.
You clearly need to read about the history of Constantine.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#68903 Dec 30, 2012
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm more of a Jung man myself
Still to abstract for applied psychology. I don't read too much on the subject but I do think the idea of the "collective unconscious" has merit, although it seems more sociological than psychological.

I sometimes reference the idea of archetypes but am skeptical about anything being a "true" archetype. Kind of like the "true Scotsman" fallacy that has been referenced in this forum. The landscape changes whenever you declare absolutes. That simply must be the case because the brain is an adaptive computer constantly processing information in a feedback loop.

I'm more inclined to think of the mechanics of the brain to be built around shapes and synaptic patterns that don't physically represent themselves at the cellular level but do so when you consider trillions of them in a system. Generally, you still have to deal with primordial pain and pleasure responses but "psychology" must be an adaptive science that addresses the unique patterns defined by unique individual genetics and experiences, not by a mythology and gut feelings.

In the end, you've got angry people like me, who feel isolated and are expecting the system to do everything within its power to silence marginalized people rather than learn from them. I think Freud and Jung started something but left in their current state, they're a liability, not an asset, AND their ideas are WAY overdue for real scientific method.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#68904 Dec 30, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough, I'll elaborate.
IMO God created everything, however, everything evolved. It's still possible that God mades us to evolve, think, reason, discover, create and invent. We still don't know everything about the potential of our own brains. There are probably many things we have not yet discovered and many things we still don't know. To me, neither have been conclusively proven and I liken it to having a child, parents in a sense 'create' a child, raise, teach, love and shape him/her,then the child grows up and goes into the world and in a sense 'evolves' through education, experiences, life lessons, relationship, work etc..So then you have something that started out as a blank canvas and 'evolved' into a beautiful painting. Another good example is a computer, someone created/invented it, then others shaped it and added to it over time until it has 'evolved' to what is available to us today. It's comparable to the 'mutant gene' that Dr Jean Grey and others were born with too, to me, it's possible that God created us with the evolution gene.
Ha! Well, the X-Men analogy isn't where I'd start, but I guess it can be applied. I always take Marvel comics with a grain of salt. Stan Lee does leak an obvious Jewish point of view to things. DC isn't really any better, just far more WASPish. I'm an Irish Catholic by upbringing. I think the Catholics consider everyone evil and shameful so superhero comics just ain't going to come from that world!

Generally, you are more or less taking the Deist stance, which is optimistic or politically correct, depending on what one wants to derive from it. Well, I can't prove that God DOESN'T exist and I wouldn't be a good atheist if I were to obsess on doing so!
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#68905 Dec 30, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>How?
You are digressing from the truth.
How? Constantine didn't get baptized until he was about to die. That meant that he was not diminishing his status as a high priest of the Roman gods, yet could claim that the Christian god(among other gods)was his ally. The truth is what it is, batboy!

Level 2

Location hidden

#68906 Dec 30, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
The issue of superstition isn't out of play. Just because someone makes something an official religion, that doesn't mean that it isn't still superstition.
Narrow!
How can they adopt a superstitious faith in the entire empire?

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#68907 Dec 30, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> So, was Constantine's making under the inspiration God.
God was using him to protect the interest of the Christians.
I love the selective memory of religious folk when it comes to telling about God being on their side...

How come God then allowed the Christianised Roman Empire to weaken so dramatically that Mohammed and his Muslims swallowed up 2/3rds of it, converting millions away from Christianity and towards Islam?(Not to mention the millions of Zoroastrians, Hindus, and Buddhists in the other direction.)

Role call of Christian Roman territories that fell to Islam...Spain, Morrocco, Algeria, Libya, Tunisia, Egypt, Palestine, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey, Albania, Cyprus...and for a while, even Spain, Greece and Bulgaria.

Where was the Christian God then? Or was Mohammed truly the successor to Jesus and the Last Prophet, as the Muslims claim?

Is this going to be another one of those "God moves in mysterious ways" defenses?

Bonus question: is a devout Muslim damned or saved?

Level 2

Location hidden

#68908 Dec 30, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
The issue of superstition isn't out of play. Just because someone makes something an official religion, that doesn't mean that it isn't still superstition.
Finally, your premise(s) are senseless.

Level 2

Location hidden

#68909 Dec 30, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You clearly need to read about the history of Constantine.
I should be telling that.
The Emperor takes the final decision, no one decides for him.
Vatican city is a proof to date.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#68910 Dec 30, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough, I'll elaborate.
IMO God created everything, however, everything evolved. It's still possible that God mades us to evolve, think, reason, discover, create and invent. We still don't know everything about the potential of our own brains. There are probably many things we have not yet discovered and many things we still don't know. To me, neither have been conclusively proven and I liken it to having a child, parents in a sense 'create' a child, raise, teach, love and shape him/her,then the child grows up and goes into the world and in a sense 'evolves' through education, experiences, life lessons, relationship, work etc..So then you have something that started out as a blank canvas and 'evolved' into a beautiful painting. Another good example is a computer, someone created/invented it, then others shaped it and added to it over time until it has 'evolved' to what is available to us today. It's comparable to the 'mutant gene' that Dr Jean Grey and others were born with too, to me, it's possible that God created us with the evolution gene.
To me the strongest argument against what you are proposing is the sheer "incidental" aspect of our evolution. Evolution meandered along with all kinds of novelty but big brains coupled with dexterous hands might easily never have eventuated.

Mark Twain observed more than a century ago that if Earth's History were the Eiffel Tower, human civilisation would constitute the thickness of the paint covering the topmost part of the structure. It would be strange indeed if the paid decided that the whole Tower existed merely to support it up there!

I hope I am wrong, but it appears that human occupation may come to an end in a short enough time that the whole of our history would constitute a few millimetres of deposits in some future Grand Canyon.(But man, I would love to see the fossils laid down in the millions of years after our departure!) Lets do what we can to ensure that this scenario does not unfold. Killing each other over primitive dogmas is not a promising way forward.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#68911 Dec 30, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>I should be telling that.
Vatican city is a proof to date.
Proof of what? The ability of men in silly hats to impress village idiots?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#68912 Dec 30, 2012
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Intelligent Design?...no brainer
Exactly.

Level 2

Location hidden

#68913 Dec 30, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
How? Constantine didn't get baptized until he was about to die. That meant that he was not diminishing his status as a high priest of the Roman gods, yet could claim that the Christian god(among other gods)was his ally. The truth is what it is, batboy!
Then the Roman faith would have been the official faith in the whole empire and not Christianity?
Why Christianity?

Tampa, FL

#68914 Dec 30, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
How can they adopt a superstitious faith in the entire empire?
By falsely claiming that it isn't.

Tampa, FL

#68915 Dec 30, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
Finally, your premise(s) are senseless.
Says the guy who can't seem to figure out how to respond to a posting only once.

Tampa, FL

#68916 Dec 30, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
And because he wants to stay in power, he decides based upon political expediency.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#68917 Dec 30, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Then the Roman faith would have been the official faith in the whole empire and not Christianity?
Why Christianity?
Why did God allow the Muslim Hoardes to capture and convert 2/3rds of the Christian Roman Empire?

Are devout Muslims damned or saved?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#68918 Dec 30, 2012
xxxooxxx wrote:
Consciousness Drives The Universe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =y9bVd3BspIQXX
If consciousness were a fallacy it would be "ad infinitum" which is derived from the meaning to 'continue forever, without limit.'

lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It Takes 7 Police Agencies to Break Up Wedding ... 7 min Disco dance tbird 14
I Like..... (Mar '14) 14 min honeymylove 318
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 34 min PESCreate - Trish 20,412
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 38 min Wolftracks 147,143
Big dawg 50 min honeymylove 565
any word you want to say (Dec '09) 1 hr PESCreate - Trish 8,144
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 1 hr PESCreate - Trish 1,985
What's your tip for the day? 1 hr PESCreate - Trish 1,057
Cops: Wash. Man Posed as Policeman ... for 25 Y... 1 hr Anonomuss 5
What Could Be Sweet,...? 2 hr Hide my location 37