Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.
Comments
64,681 - 64,700 of 113,285 Comments Last updated 8 hrs ago

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68861
Dec 29, 2012
 
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
really now...was that a wild guess about my reading habits?...lol
Don't mind him, he's just ego-surfing

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68862
Dec 29, 2012
 
Drew Smith wrote:
From your favorite source, Wikipedia:
"Rejection of the state religion was tantamount to treason. This was the context for Rome's conflict with Christianity, which Romans variously regarded as a form of atheism and novel superstitio."
<quoted text>
You're missing the point. The point was that the Romans at one point considered Christianity to be nothing more than a new form of superstition.
That still does not change the fact of Christianity in the empire.
Policies do differs. A case in point, is the Vatican city.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Mohenjo Daro

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68863
Dec 29, 2012
 
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were my teacher I would drop out
Just think about the concept and then think about things you might have heard about in the news or read in science magazines or eZines.

No one was there to SEE it, but we know without doubt that a humongous meteor fell to the earth just off the Yucatan peninsula 65 million +- years ago and ultimately caused the demise of the Dinosaurs and almost wiped out all other life on earth. Nobody was there, but a meteor fell to the ground in Arizona about 50,000 years ago and made a crater almost a mile across. We weren't there to see it, but we know the earth once had just one super continent we now call Pangaea about 225 million years ago.

And there are literally millions of things that science has found out about our world and universe because we train ourselves to find and interpret data and physical evidence that almost any event leaves behind, or we build instruments to analyze stuff we can't naturally see/hear/taste/smell/etc.

Not meant to be disrespectful, but from the comments I read you don't really understand science and how it works...you are the dream of fundamentalist recruiters.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Mohenjo Daro

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68864
Dec 29, 2012
 
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't mind him, he's just ego-surfing
Yeah....like North Shore Hawaii....fantastic!

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Level 6

Since: Dec 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68865
Dec 29, 2012
 
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Some mothers are more connected to their children than others.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

Shared cellular memory could be the reason.
I agree and that's an interesting theory. Cheers :)

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68866
Dec 29, 2012
 
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Just think about the concept and then think about things you might have heard about in the news or read in science magazines or eZines.
No one was there to SEE it, but we know without doubt that a humongous meteor fell to the earth just off the Yucatan peninsula 65 million +- years ago and ultimately caused the demise of the Dinosaurs and almost wiped out all other life on earth. Nobody was there, but a meteor fell to the ground in Arizona about 50,000 years ago and made a crater almost a mile across. We weren't there to see it, but we know the earth once had just one super continent we now call Pangaea about 225 million years ago.
And there are literally millions of things that science has found out about our world and universe because we train ourselves to find and interpret data and physical evidence that almost any event leaves behind, or we build instruments to analyze stuff we can't naturally see/hear/taste/smell/etc.
Not meant to be disrespectful, but from the comments I read you don't really understand science and how it works...you are the dream of fundamentalist recruiters.
Have I questioned anything about those things you mentioned? I haven't because I accept them as facts. It's just that I'm looking for DNA evidence. Maybe I'm asking for too much?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68867
Dec 29, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree and that's an interesting theory. Cheers :)
lol at chimerism

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68868
Dec 29, 2012
 
Charles Idemi, why are you so unhappy over the earlier Romans killing Christians but so happy over the later Romans killing people who were NOT Christians?

I try to be fair, myself.
I'm not a Jew, but I still disapprove of what Hitler did to the Jews.
I'm not a Communist, but I still disapprove of what the Malaysians did to the Communists.

Level 5

Since: Apr 12

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68869
Dec 29, 2012
 
Now to make good on my boast about being fair.
I wish to express my disapproval of the Evolutionists on this thread belittling Cybele's experience.
You're attacking something important to Cybele, and you're not going to accomplish anything constructive.

Yes, I've read articles on near-death experiences in the Skeptical Inquirer, and I am familiar with the scientific explanations for such experiences.

I don't know whether Cybele has been to Heaven or not, but that is not what I concerns me.
What concerns me is the Cybele is a person and is therefore important, and therefore whatever is important to her is also important.
Instead of fighting Cybele, let her first empty her cup.
If she is then not willing and able to have her experience downplayed with scientific explanations, there are plenty of other topics to discuss anyway.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68870
Dec 29, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree and that's an interesting theory. Cheers :)
What is shared cellular memory?

Couldn't it be pheromones, hormonal, behavioral as well?

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68871
Dec 29, 2012
 
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree and that's an interesting theory. Cheers :)
Your avatar is both creepy and compelling at the same time. I like it.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68872
Dec 29, 2012
 
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can't separate fantasy from reality, one would think you've got a bit of a problem....just sayin'
Didn't expect to see you here.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68873
Dec 29, 2012
 
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
what's that?
Really don't want to share more, this being a family thread and all. Just say it was a blast and leave it at that.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68874
Dec 29, 2012
 
We are largely discussion evolution versus Judeo-Christian creation. However, I am curious if there is a ballpark number for the different creation stories. I am at least partially aware of some from various major cultures such as Norse gods, Egypt, Roman, Greek, some Hindu stories, etc. I would be curious to if anyone has ever seen a review of these.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68875
Dec 29, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

I really need to proofread before hitting post.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68876
Dec 29, 2012
 
Thomas Robertson wrote:
Now to make good on my boast about being fair.
I wish to express my disapproval of the Evolutionists on this thread belittling Cybele's experience.
You're attacking something important to Cybele, and you're not going to accomplish anything constructive.
Yes, I've read articles on near-death experiences in the Skeptical Inquirer, and I am familiar with the scientific explanations for such experiences.
I don't know whether Cybele has been to Heaven or not, but that is not what I concerns me.
What concerns me is the Cybele is a person and is therefore important, and therefore whatever is important to her is also important.
Instead of fighting Cybele, let her first empty her cup.
If she is then not willing and able to have her experience downplayed with scientific explanations, there are plenty of other topics to discuss anyway.
LOL!

It can happen to anyone ;-)

I do appreciate Science as much as I want to be an avatar in that sci-fi movie, honest! But I won't forget where I came from. I learned about God as a child growing up. But I realized that maybe I should leave my childish beliefs behind and learn about the truth. But I'm here to learn from you all. So thanks Thomas!

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68877
Dec 30, 2012
 
Charles Idemi wrote:
But when Constantine discovered the truth, there was a re-think.
You mean, when Constantine decided that it was more politically expedient to be a Christian.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68878
Dec 30, 2012
 
xxxooxxx wrote:
all this from getting that warm fuzzy feeling when you look out into the ocean at the beach...lol
Psychoanalytical explanation
Freud argues that the "oceanic feeling", if it exists, is the preserved "primitive ego-feeling" from infancy. The primitive ego-feeling precedes the creation of the ego and exists up until the mother ceases breastfeeding. Prior to this, the infant is regularly breastfed in response to its crying and has no concept that the breast does not belong to it. Therefore, the infant has no concept of a "self" or, rather, considers the breast to be part of itself. Freud argues that those experiencing an oceanic feeling as an adult are actually experiencing a preserved primitive ego-feeling. The ego, in contrast, comes into existence when the breast is taken away, and involves the infant's recognition that it is separate from the mother's breast, and therefore, that other persons exist. Freud argues that it would not necessarily contradict psychoanalytical theory for this primary ego-feeling to coexist along with the ego in some people. The main argument for this is that psychoanalytical theory holds that all thoughts are preserved in a conservation of psychic energy. Therefore, the "oceanic feeling" described as a oneness with the world or a limitlessness is simply a description of the feeling the infant has before it learns there are other persons in the world.
Oceanic feeling
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_feeling
Freud was largely out of touch with the hard-scrabble life. He placed an overabundance of meaning on sexuality because he was part of a largely idle aristocratic class with time on their hands and ambitions that they didn't accept for what they were.

He could have simply described the feeling as contentedness that comes with inexperience. It's to his discredit to have assumed that everyone shared his infatuations with the womb and male/female symbolism. Instead, he created his own holy book of myths that try to turn his personal frustrations into something credible.

On most topics, that kind of wandering around in the dark is almost OK. In any medically related field, it's not acceptable to treat anyone as an "authority" capable of rendering aid based on that kind of esoteric voodoo. All his followers ever did was fabricate self-fulfilling prophecies. You'll do just as well with faith-healers and elixir con-artists who just sell booze while calling it medicine.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68879
Dec 30, 2012
 
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean, when Constantine decided that it was more politically expedient to be a Christian.
That was pretty much a foot in both camps until he was on his death bed, wasn't it?

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Level 6

Since: Dec 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68880
Dec 30, 2012
 
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Your avatar is both creepy and compelling at the same time. I like it.
Lol...Thanks, topix inspired it, I change it often.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••