Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#68877 Dec 30, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
But when Constantine discovered the truth, there was a re-think.
You mean, when Constantine decided that it was more politically expedient to be a Christian.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#68878 Dec 30, 2012
xxxooxxx wrote:
all this from getting that warm fuzzy feeling when you look out into the ocean at the beach...lol
Psychoanalytical explanation
Freud argues that the "oceanic feeling", if it exists, is the preserved "primitive ego-feeling" from infancy. The primitive ego-feeling precedes the creation of the ego and exists up until the mother ceases breastfeeding. Prior to this, the infant is regularly breastfed in response to its crying and has no concept that the breast does not belong to it. Therefore, the infant has no concept of a "self" or, rather, considers the breast to be part of itself. Freud argues that those experiencing an oceanic feeling as an adult are actually experiencing a preserved primitive ego-feeling. The ego, in contrast, comes into existence when the breast is taken away, and involves the infant's recognition that it is separate from the mother's breast, and therefore, that other persons exist. Freud argues that it would not necessarily contradict psychoanalytical theory for this primary ego-feeling to coexist along with the ego in some people. The main argument for this is that psychoanalytical theory holds that all thoughts are preserved in a conservation of psychic energy. Therefore, the "oceanic feeling" described as a oneness with the world or a limitlessness is simply a description of the feeling the infant has before it learns there are other persons in the world.
Oceanic feeling
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_feeling
Freud was largely out of touch with the hard-scrabble life. He placed an overabundance of meaning on sexuality because he was part of a largely idle aristocratic class with time on their hands and ambitions that they didn't accept for what they were.

He could have simply described the feeling as contentedness that comes with inexperience. It's to his discredit to have assumed that everyone shared his infatuations with the womb and male/female symbolism. Instead, he created his own holy book of myths that try to turn his personal frustrations into something credible.

On most topics, that kind of wandering around in the dark is almost OK. In any medically related field, it's not acceptable to treat anyone as an "authority" capable of rendering aid based on that kind of esoteric voodoo. All his followers ever did was fabricate self-fulfilling prophecies. You'll do just as well with faith-healers and elixir con-artists who just sell booze while calling it medicine.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#68879 Dec 30, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean, when Constantine decided that it was more politically expedient to be a Christian.
That was pretty much a foot in both camps until he was on his death bed, wasn't it?

“The..”

Level 6

Since: Dec 12

"..who whating how with huh?"

#68880 Dec 30, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Your avatar is both creepy and compelling at the same time. I like it.
Lol...Thanks, topix inspired it, I change it often.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#68881 Dec 30, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol...Thanks, topix inspired it, I change it often.
Isn't that the Cheshire Cat in Time Burton's "Alice"?

“The..”

Level 6

#68882 Dec 30, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>What is shared cellular memory?
Couldn't it be pheromones, hormonal, behavioral as well?
Absolutely. I don't know enough about all these scientific facts to go into detail but I still found it interesting from a mother's point of view. I beieve in Creation and Evolution and most of the posts make sense and are a good read.
:)
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#68883 Dec 30, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Ofcourse. That was why they agreed to crucify Christ.
But when Constantine discovered the truth, there was a re-think.
You mean the truth that he was losing control of the rabble, of course.

“The..”

Level 6

#68884 Dec 30, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol...well said.
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#68885 Dec 30, 2012
Creation and religion...THE CRUTCHES OF THE WEAK MINDED FOOLS..

“The..”

Level 6

#68886 Dec 30, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Isn't that the Cheshire Cat in Time Burton's "Alice"?
I think so but I haven't checked, a friend gave it to me on fb, I like it :D
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#68888 Dec 30, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. I don't know enough about all these scientific facts to go into detail but I still found it interesting from a mother's point of view. I beieve in Creation and Evolution and most of the posts make sense and are a good read.
:)
I have to admit, when I hear that kind of contradiction, I tend to get annoyed. It's like hearing a public figure dodge questions about their allegiances, or hearing a boss avoiding a statement that would make his or herself accountable for their actions.

For now, I'll assume that you can somehow blend Creation with Evolution, but they are fundamentally different in that one presumes random events in a universe of physical constants where we maintain an order through discipline, while the other presumes an order that defies physical constants where we are told not to question and to accept inconsistent acts of imposed discipline.

That dog won't hunt!
anonymous

Franklin, PA

#68889 Dec 30, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I think so but I haven't checked, a friend gave it to me on fb, I like it :D
Tim Burton does a good job but it is built predictably around Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter and Danny Elfman.

“This is the other side”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#68890 Dec 30, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Freud was largely out of touch with the hard-scrabble life. He placed an overabundance of meaning on sexuality because he was part of a largely idle aristocratic class with time on their hands and ambitions that they didn't accept for what they were.
He could have simply described the feeling as contentedness that comes with inexperience. It's to his discredit to have assumed that everyone shared his infatuations with the womb and male/female symbolism. Instead, he created his own holy book of myths that try to turn his personal frustrations into something credible.
On most topics, that kind of wandering around in the dark is almost OK. In any medically related field, it's not acceptable to treat anyone as an "authority" capable of rendering aid based on that kind of esoteric voodoo. All his followers ever did was fabricate self-fulfilling prophecies. You'll do just as well with faith-healers and elixir con-artists who just sell booze while calling it medicine.
I'm more of a Jung man myself

“Obama Shames the USA”

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#68891 Dec 30, 2012
The Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland has put Intelligent Design back into the equation.
The Big Bang theory is still valid but the Higgs Boson Particle actualy existed before the Big Bang and was the spark that sent the Big Bang in a predetermined course, so the science reflects.
It is now possible to see before the Big Bang and determine the existence of other dimensions.
Basically the Higgs Boson was the blue print for everything that was to be from the farthest stars location to your hair color. Yes. It even allowed for evolution as we are now finding out.
So you can look at Creationism creating Evolution. Who the creator is, no-one knows, but we do now know that the Higgs Boson Particle was a tool used to set our little slice of reality into preplanned motion. It's incredible.

“This is the other side”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#68892 Dec 30, 2012
Ninthman wrote:
The Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland has put Intelligent Design back into the equation.
The Big Bang theory is still valid but the Higgs Boson Particle actualy existed before the Big Bang and was the spark that sent the Big Bang in a predetermined course, so the science reflects.
It is now possible to see before the Big Bang and determine the existence of other dimensions.
Basically the Higgs Boson was the blue print for everything that was to be from the farthest stars location to your hair color. Yes. It even allowed for evolution as we are now finding out.
So you can look at Creationism creating Evolution. Who the creator is, no-one knows, but we do now know that the Higgs Boson Particle was a tool used to set our little slice of reality into preplanned motion. It's incredible.
Intelligent Design?...no brainer

“The..”

Level 6

#68893 Dec 30, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to admit, when I hear that kind of contradiction, I tend to get annoyed. It's like hearing a public figure dodge questions about their allegiances, or hearing a boss avoiding a statement that would make his or herself accountable for their actions.
For now, I'll assume that you can somehow blend Creation with Evolution, but they are fundamentally different in that one presumes random events in a universe of physical constants where we maintain an order through discipline, while the other presumes an order that defies physical constants where we are told not to question and to accept inconsistent acts of imposed discipline.
That dog won't hunt!
Fair enough, I'll elaborate.
IMO God created everything, however, everything evolved. It's still possible that God mades us to evolve, think, reason, discover, create and invent. We still don't know everything about the potential of our own brains. There are probably many things we have not yet discovered and many things we still don't know. To me, neither have been conclusively proven and I liken it to having a child, parents in a sense 'create' a child, raise, teach, love and shape him/her,then the child grows up and goes into the world and in a sense 'evolves' through education, experiences, life lessons, relationship, work etc..So then you have something that started out as a blank canvas and 'evolved' into a beautiful painting. Another good example is a computer, someone created/invented it, then others shaped it and added to it over time until it has 'evolved' to what is available to us today. It's comparable to the 'mutant gene' that Dr Jean Grey and others were born with too, to me, it's possible that God created us with the evolution gene.

“The..”

Level 6

#68894 Dec 30, 2012
Ninthman wrote:
That is incredible! I agree completely :)

Tampa, FL

#68895 Dec 30, 2012
Ninthman wrote:
The Big Bang theory is still valid but the Higgs Boson Particle actualy existed before the Big Bang and was the spark that sent the Big Bang in a predetermined course
And we know this how?

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#68897 Dec 30, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
The Emperor is not subject to these laws...he makes them.
So,if he makes the law, then the issue of treason and superstitution are out of play.

Tampa, FL

#68898 Dec 30, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
So,if he makes the law, then the issue of treason and superstitution are out of play.
The issue of superstition isn't out of play. Just because someone makes something an official religion, that doesn't mean that it isn't still superstition.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 min NuRidersoftheePur... 149,083
WHAT???? A NEW word game? FOUR WORDS (Sep '08) 4 min mrbill3 40,429
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 16 min Princess Hey 77,373
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 22 min Princess Hey 54,841
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 36 min Princess Hey 9,130
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 40 min Princess Hey 2,539
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 41 min Chilli J 2,224
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 47 min Crazy Beautiful 6,840
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 59 min -Lea- 22,239
Truck containing 36,000 pounds of Crisco stolen 7 hr JV Team 44
True or False Game 7 hr -CatCiao- 410

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE