Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 173445 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#68819 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I got into a car accident twice and it was almost fatal
But I know how one can survive it. The first one was some kind of mind over matter thing and the second involves human connection
But then again to you personal experience is not enough evidence, right?
*yawn* More anthropomorphizing and nothing else. It's all anecdotal, correct.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#68820 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
the image was a large hand from the sky that touched my car to make it stop from spinning.
wow... that just reminded me of an experience I had when I was about 16....it didn't recede back into the sky with the sound of thunder did it?

Level 3

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#68821 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Methodical Naturalism:
"theory of physical: the philosophical theory that physical matter is the only reality and that psychological states such as emotions, reason, thought, and desire will eventually be explained as physical functions"
Is everything within the boundaries of natural laws?
As far as we know. Do you have evidence of any being/phenomenon that exists outside of the natural laws? Do you have evidence of any psychological state that can only be explained by the supernatural?

Level 3

Location hidden

#68822 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
The origin of language is a mystery. Glad to hear that it's currently a focus of scientific research. Because there has to be something in our consciousness that made us use language as means for communication and made us distinct from other animals.
I don't take the literal sense of stories such as the tower of babel. But if all languages are related to one another, there must be one common language in the beginning. Just like how evolutionists say there is a common ancestor.
No, there absolutely does not. It's possible, but not necessary. Language could have started after we had already migrated to geographically distinct areas, and therefore different groups developed different languages.

Level 3

Location hidden

#68823 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a nihilist?
Do you have to be a nihilist to deny the existence of a soul? That makes no sense. One does not have to believe in unfounded superstition to get meaning out of life.
Rose

Santa Monica, CA

#68824 Dec 29, 2012
People who believe the creation myth just need to grow up. The buy-bull has plants growing before there is a sun. How can anybody over 5 years old believe that's true?

“Never give up”

Level 1

Since: Dec 12

North Olmsted, OH

#68825 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
For the exact same reason that lots of drunks see pink elephants and junkies see, and feel, bugs inside their skin. Same reason people think little green men sexually molest them. It's cultural iconography, what you see, or want to see, most often is what you are more likely to see when hallucinating.
A better question is, if there was more to NDEs, why is it that every single religious belief produces vastly different NDEs?
Drunks and junkies are alive when they have those hallucinations. I think its unfair to compare them to a person who is temporarily dead until they are medically revived via CPR or other methods.

'...why is it that every single religious belief produces vastly different NDEs?'

It might be that God lets souls experience the after-life in a way that won't make them doubt their religion when they re-enter their bodies. For example, if a Muslim dies and experiences a Christian Heaven and then returns to his body, he probably wouldn't want to tell his fellow Muslims that Heaven is a Christian Heaven. If he does, he might be beaten up and/or killed.

Level 3

Location hidden

#68826 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying you never experienced it? My experience is a bit more complicated. I'm just wired differently. It must be the type of conditioning I've become accustomed to.
Do you think that if the relevant brain structures were excised, you would continue to feel your "soul?"

Location hidden

#68827 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
*yawn* More anthropomorphizing and nothing else. It's all anecdotal, correct.
there ya go projecting again...

“I can never convince the ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

stupid that they are stupid.

#68828 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I got into a car accident twice and it was almost fatal
But I know how one can survive it. The first one was some kind of mind over matter thing and the second involves human connection
But then again to you personal experience is not enough evidence, right?
Not to cast your personal experience in doubt, but it isn't enough to show that a near death experience is anything more than the results of a traumatic impact on the brain. We know that physical and chemical means can be used to alter perception or even radically alter the brain entirely to the point of damaging parts of it. The question I would ask is how do you know the difference between a physically induced response and a spiritual response. How an a person that is or has gone through a near death experience know that it wasn't simply a serious of short circuits induced by trauma to the brain. I would say that, despite what I would consider to be a very worldly source, it does not alter the impact that these experiences have on people. As I understand it they can be life altering, but I would argue that they are just that in part to what a person believes.

Are these near death experiences proof of an afterlife or just a psychological trick of physiological and traumatic origin. They might be a glimpse at the afterlife, but how would one really test that? I don't think you would be allowed to gather up a couple of hundred volunteers that would let you hit them on the head with a hammer. Even if you could, all you would really be testing is how much of an impact the human head can take.

Location hidden

#68829 Dec 29, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>As far as we know. Do you have evidence of any being/phenomenon that exists outside of the natural laws? Do you have evidence of any psychological state that can only be explained by the supernatural?
From what I understand...I believe the Quantum field might be outside natural laws.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#68830 Dec 29, 2012
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
wow... that just reminded me of an experience I had when I was about 16....it didn't recede back into the sky with the sound of thunder did it?
It was summer.

I could've imagined it thinking I was at my final seconds of my life, probably a mechanism that makes one react and hope that one can avoid something bad to happen. But my car suddenly stopped so whatever that was about, it worked.

Level 3

Location hidden

#68831 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
ESP could just be some form of chemical in the brain. I believe it's vital for our survival.
First you have to provide evidence for ESP before you start postulating on what causes it.

Level 5

above and beyond

#68832 Dec 29, 2012
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
wow... that just reminded me of an experience I had when I was about 16
you want to share?

Level 9

#68833 Dec 29, 2012
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
Drunks and junkies are alive when they have those hallucinations. I think its unfair to compare them to a person who is temporarily dead until they are medically revived via CPR or other methods.
'...why is it that every single religious belief produces vastly different NDEs?'
It might be that God lets souls experience the after-life in a way that won't make them doubt their religion when they re-enter their bodies. For example, if a Muslim dies and experiences a Christian Heaven and then returns to his body, he probably wouldn't want to tell his fellow Muslims that Heaven is a Christian Heaven. If he does, he might be beaten up and/or killed.
Well the point is that those that have had near death experiences are alive too. Otherwise it would be a completely dead experience.

It is a known phenomenon in toxicology and pharmacolgy, that a persons mood, experiences and mental state can have a tremendous impact on how they experience intoxication from various chemicals. Why would it be such a surprise that trauma-induced states would be any different. You go with what you know.
Rose

Santa Monica, CA

#68834 Dec 29, 2012
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would he care?
He'd get to go to heaven. Right?

Level 5

above and beyond

#68835 Dec 29, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Not to cast your personal experience in doubt, but it isn't enough to show that a near death experience is anything more than the results of a traumatic impact on the brain. We know that physical and chemical means can be used to alter perception or even radically alter the brain entirely to the point of damaging parts of it. The question I would ask is how do you know the difference between a physically induced response and a spiritual response. How an a person that is or has gone through a near death experience know that it wasn't simply a serious of short circuits induced by trauma to the brain. I would say that, despite what I would consider to be a very worldly source, it does not alter the impact that these experiences have on people. As I understand it they can be life altering, but I would argue that they are just that in part to what a person believes.
Are these near death experiences proof of an afterlife or just a psychological trick of physiological and traumatic origin. They might be a glimpse at the afterlife, but how would one really test that? I don't think you would be allowed to gather up a couple of hundred volunteers that would let you hit them on the head with a hammer. Even if you could, all you would really be testing is how much of an impact the human head can take.
It's hard to explain. You just know when it's happening. I don't deny it. I just separate it from the rational part of me. Have the best of both worlds. why not?

Level 9

#68836 Dec 29, 2012
I had an experience when I was 16 too. It was what I like to call an IBE.

Level 5

above and beyond

#68837 Dec 29, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>Well the point is that those that have had near death experiences are alive too. Otherwise it would be a completely dead experience.
It is a known phenomenon in toxicology and pharmacolgy, that a persons mood, experiences and mental state can have a tremendous impact on how they experience intoxication from various chemicals. Why would it be such a surprise that trauma-induced states would be any different. You go with what you know.
Trauma-induced states are chemicals that triggers emotional response to a crisis. Drugs and alcohol triggers emotional response to a desire.

“Never give up”

Level 1

Since: Dec 12

North Olmsted, OH

#68838 Dec 29, 2012
Rose wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would he care?
He'd get to go to heaven. Right?
What about his wife and kids? They may want him to stick around so he can go on loving and supporting them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let's Play Songs Titled with Two Words ... (Nov '14) 1 min CJ Rocker 1,175
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 min CJ Rocker 169,313
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 1 min UnderstandPeople 2,580
Poll I love you because.............. (Mar '09) 1 min KNIGHT DeVINE 4,596
JUST SAY SOMETHING. Whatever comes to mind!! (Aug '09) 1 min KNIGHT DeVINE 29,696
Let's Play Songs With Four Words,... 5 min Mister_ E 51
The last word in the sentence must rhyme with t... 31 min Curious J 1
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr LOST IN MISSISSIPPI 43,433
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 2 hr natasfonos 18,644
Coffee with Pie! (Sep '08) 3 hr LOST IN MISSISSIPPI 35,219
More from around the web