Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 209794 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#68742 Dec 29, 2012
BraveCon wrote:
<quoted text>
When people die, the bond between the soul and the human body is severed. When the soul's connection to the material world is severed, the soul is free to go and dwell in the spiritual realm, which would include places like Heaven. A soul cannot be detected with instruments designed to detect physical properties such as mass and energy so its currently impossible to get the evidence of a soul's existance.
Perhaps one day somebody will design and build an instrument that can detect the properties of spirits.
I ask for evidence, and you give more assertions, now you have more things to provide evidence for. You should get busy if you want to be taken seriously.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#68743 Dec 29, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the evidence for the existence of a "soul"?
I FEEEEEEEEL GOOD!

http://www.boldsoulbrother.com/wp-content/upl...
anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#68744 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
So how do explain hair loss? Why did early humans lose their hair and then hunt for fur to keep warm?
Actually, the timeframe where humanity lost it's fur is predicted to have occurred fairly early while the species was still in Africa. The idea is that humanity started to sweat to control body heat, and the theory is based on the estimated time frame when human body lice broke away from their parent species found with apes.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#68745 Dec 29, 2012
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
did you have any particular scene that was your favorite?
I like everything in that movie though I'm not sure what they call that machine where Jake can communicate with the avatars through the biological neural network of Pandora
FREE SERVANT
#68746 Dec 29, 2012
Thomas Robertson wrote:
Free Servant, how do you know if an agate crystal looks like Jesus?
Do we have any portraits from Jesus' time to compare it with?
I am sorry my reply button doesn't seem to be working. I have been trying to tell you I don't have any agates that I think look like Jesus.

“Keep the change...”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#68747 Dec 29, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So?
oh quit whinin'
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#68748 Dec 29, 2012
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So where does the peacock fit in with all of this evolutionary blending in stuff?...
http://www.all-hd-wallpapers.com/wallpapers/a...
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Aves
Order: Galliformes
Family: Phasianidae
Subfamily: Phasianinae
Genus: Pavo

In short? It's a bird.

Level 5

above and beyond

#68749 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I ask for evidence, and you give more assertions, now you have more things to provide evidence for. You should get busy if you want to be taken seriously.
You keep asking for evidence like you're a private investigator but when you're asked you don't provide explanations for your own assertions

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#68750 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
So how do explain hair loss? Why did early humans lose their hair and then hunt for fur to keep warm?
They didn't need to keep warm. The desert is pretty hot, and most of Africa is desert.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#68751 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I like everything in that movie though I'm not sure what they call that machine where Jake can communicate with the avatars through the biological neural network of Pandora
Virtual Reality Caravans.
Drink the hivE

Anonymous Proxy

#68752 Dec 29, 2012
“It Is Dangerous 2 Be Right In Matter' On Which The Established Authorities Are Wrong.”

Voltaire.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#68753 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you elaborate please
sounds like some fallacy to me
There is an entire industry based around the fact that most of our minds seek out patterns where there are none, and fill in gaps with whatever it makes up. We call them "optical illusions." Ever see those "3D" posters? I can't see anything on them but that's the pattern phenomenon. The image is not really there, the actual image is almost completely random color. But they intermingle well placed colors that most brains will locate the pattern, then fill in the gaps, and tada! A "3D" image from what looks like a bunch of random colors. My mind doesn't force patterns, but meh, I don't think I'm missing out on much.

My favorite is the "spinning" circles. They are just trigonometric plots really, but the circular lines are broken, and the that's the trick of it. The mind tries to complete the circles, so it works to fill in the gaps, in doing so it shifts the color it's focusing on, then the gaps appear reversed, so it shifts back ... the effect is that the circles appear to be moving. I like that one because it's the only optical illusion I actually see how most everyone else sees it, so I get to enjoy the fun for a brief time.

But that's just it, such tricks of the mind should only be for fun, asserting something that you see because of a trick of the mind as fact, even after it has been explained and demonstrated to you, is delusion. Delusion masks more dangerous mental conditions when the delusion is accepted widely, thus reducing our chances of progressing beyond where we are. Essentially, until we accept reality as a species, we're doomed to follow the dinosaurs ... and if we're lucky, some of us will evolve into birds, but ultimately, the whole genetic line of homosapeins will be lost.
FREE SERVANT
#68754 Dec 29, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but I only want them if they got images of Derek Small. Spinal Tap are divine!
OH MAN! I've done commited to showing a picture of an agate maybe Monday, but I hope I'm not getin in too deep with this. ;)

“Keep the change...”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#68755 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>

I thought the florescent wood scenes were pretty cool....nice effects.

Level 5

above and beyond

#68756 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't need to keep warm. The desert is pretty hot, and most of Africa is desert.
And so we can assume the first early humans were darker, what changed the color of their skin and hair and facial features?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#68757 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep asking for evidence like you're a private investigator but when you're asked you don't provide explanations for your own assertions
Because delusional people dishonestly avoid the questions I posit then expect me to answer their questions. Until you answer the first questions posited, then no one, not even me, has to even consider answering anything you ask. So meh. FIFO

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#68758 Dec 29, 2012
xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientist are a funny lot...if they did make an instrument to detect it, they would make up some new name for it like LIFEb727 and claimed that it was a new discovery unheard of until now...lol
Yeah, I know, they renamed Sol to Sol ... and Earth to Earth ... and Mars to ... erm ... wait. If you don't realize just how silly your fallacious point is, then you are truly naive.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#68759 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
And so we can assume the first early humans were darker, what changed the color of their skin and hair and facial features?
Interbreeding with neanderthal.

“Never give up”

Level 1

Since: Dec 12

Avon, OH

#68760 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
This is another assertion, but how do you account for a mother somehow knowing that her child was just injured even though her child may be hundreds of miles away? I have heard of many stories like this and when the mother contacts her child, that child informs her that he/she did just suffer an injury, such as falling off a ladder while painting the house or burning their hand on the stove.

There's no scientific explaination for things like telepathy and other psychic events. I believe the only explaination for these psycic events is that its our souls that do the communicating.

Level 5

above and beyond

#68761 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Because delusional people dishonestly avoid the questions I posit then expect me to answer their questions. Until you answer the first questions posited, then no one, not even me, has to even consider answering anything you ask. So meh. FIFO
You still haven't answered my question.

How do you know what objective reality is when there are competing theories in science to explain things using the scientific method?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 Word Advice (Good or Bad) (Dec '14) 6 min grace f a l l e n 4,396
*add A word / drop a word* (Nov '12) 7 min Princess Hey 14,020
+=Keep 1 Drop 1=+ 3 STACK (Mar '13) 7 min Princess Hey 10,653
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 8 min CJ Rocker 200,913
Some day, I would love to_______________? (Sep '12) 8 min grace f a l l e n 803
News Clinton's name spelled wrong on Hofstra Univers... 8 min 8541 MARINE 58
News Busted by social media, 2 arrested after postin... 20 min Spotted Girl 3
2words into 2new words (May '12) 28 min CJ Rocker 5,105
Philly grey poster hangout 34 min CrunchyRaptor 55
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 1 hr Top Picks HQs 61,533