Evolution vs. Creation

Full story: Best of New Orleans

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Comments (Page 3,216)

Showing posts 64,301 - 64,320 of111,607
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
"I didn't say that science had any specific ethics, but that the scientific method is the best option for determining more sane and valid ethical behavior."
So ethics derives from scientific endeavor? Not sure if I could agree with that. Science gives us more information to make a better judgement in a course of action.
But science is very much neutral in how that information is obtained. What we consider basic ethics in testing with humans invokes the Golden Rule.
Don't get me wrong here: the scientific methodology is an extraordinary tool to filter out the wannabe prophets of miracles for their profits.
I just don't want to see science seen as a religion and researchers become unquestioning cardinals of knowledge.
Please do not tell me you are conflating science with an actual "entity" and the scientific method with some "law." The scientific method is a standard, a procedure, for weeding out fallacious claims of any sort, as for you "I don't want it see as a religion" part, well, it comes from a religious group who were attempting to do just that, weed out the fallacious claims. People use the scientific method a lot more than they ever realize, the more intelligent the person, the more often they use the method. When you look at the labels on the food products, consider the prices and quality, and compare them to other brands ... that is the scientific method. Since ethics itself is entirely subjective, morals are a made up canard, ethical behavior determined by just "feelings" has proven less than adequate in almost all instances, but ethical behavior with the scientific method applied has always been consistent and always progresses for the better. Ethics is not a religious thing, it's an evolutionary trait and nothing more. There is no magic involved, it's not some "spiritual" garbage, it's simply how you regard other humans, very mundane and probably the least interesting aspect of human behavior as a whole.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do not tell me you are conflating science with an actual "entity" and the scientific method with some "law." The scientific method is a standard, a procedure, for weeding out fallacious claims of any sort, as for you "I don't want it see as a religion" part, well, it comes from a religious group who were attempting to do just that, weed out the fallacious claims. People use the scientific method a lot more than they ever realize, the more intelligent the person, the more often they use the method. When you look at the labels on the food products, consider the prices and quality, and compare them to other brands ... that is the scientific method. Since ethics itself is entirely subjective, morals are a made up canard, ethical behavior determined by just "feelings" has proven less than adequate in almost all instances, but ethical behavior with the scientific method applied has always been consistent and always progresses for the better. Ethics is not a religious thing, it's an evolutionary trait and nothing more. There is no magic involved, it's not some "spiritual" garbage, it's simply how you regard other humans, very mundane and probably the least interesting aspect of human behavior as a whole.
So you have no problem with Dr. Mengele's research into twins or hypothermia on unwilling subjects?

Will you pull the "He's not a True Scotsman!" defense?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have no problem with Dr. Mengele's research into twins or hypothermia on unwilling subjects?
Will you pull the "He's not a True Scotsman!" defense?
He was following unethical behavior. His motives were entirely his own, and his methods betray that. Had he followed the informed consensus of ethical behavior, the way scientists follow the informed consensus on many aspects of their research, he would have known those were unacceptable behaviors because they harm other people.

Are you going to throw out anymore red herrings or strawmen?
Richard Robles

Elmira, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

The connecticut school shooter was an Atheist ... nuff said! The world would be a happier place without Islam and Atheism.

"Anders Behring Breivik was a practicing militant Darwinian Atheist racist. He believed secularism and science was the world's salvation, not Jesus Christ."

Anders Behring Breivik, Mass Murderer of Norway, was an Atheist Social Darwinist - NOT a Christian
http://cross.tv/69392

anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. What amazes me more is how the ancient people acquired knowledge of what symbolic meanings animals have. For example the deer - power animal symbolizes gentleness, unconditional love, and kindness. The Celtics and Native Americans prayed to the deer to give them good hunt. Perhaps because of this practice ingrained in early human hunters and gatherers, we developed an instinctive ability from our own associations with these game animals. Animals behave purely on instincts. And many animals possess traits that humans wish to have such as better hearing, night vision, agility, etc. Whatever made humans distinct from animals that possessed the ability to decipher symbolic meanings in animals, probably led to intelligence and heightened sensory perception. But that's just how I see it. We are all connected.
Perhaps we are to some degree, but humans don't have the senses of animals, even if they seek to emulate them. Deer are a particularly bad example of a metaphor of the human psyche, although if I were to speculate, I'd say the primary reason is because the human persona is based on binocular vision, while deer are animals who watch on all sides and flee from conflicts. Even though humans are not predators by their evolutionary nature, they share more in common with them, psychologically.

Being bipedal is another break away from most animals at a fundamental level. I'd have to say, even if one was hard-wired similar to an animal, the differences in anatomy would be significant enough to produce very different personalities.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Richard Robles wrote:
The connecticut school shooter was an Atheist ... nuff said! The world would be a happier place without Islam and Atheism.
"Anders Behring Breivik was a practicing militant Darwinian Atheist racist. He believed secularism and science was the world's salvation, not Jesus Christ."
Anders Behring Breivik, Mass Murderer of Norway, was an Atheist Social Darwinist - NOT a Christian
http://cross.tv/69392
The Spanish Inquisition were Christians. Nuff said!...and it seems that you're honest about your bigotry.
anonymous

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> That is a dis-honest response, you can not.
Well, Leela says you're a numbskull and I tend to trust her opinion.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Charles Idemi wrote:
Again, why did the Romans and Greeks adopted the false religion according to you guys?
For the same reason that they adopted the false religions of the Greek and Roman gods.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually in your case I'd call it UNbounded. Rationality requires boundaries. Otherwise one ends up like Mikey and being hit in the head and seeing images of Jesus in a meteorite as "evidence" of Jesus and not of brain damage.
OH BOY!!!! Hope you didn't get a lot of meteoric coal for Christmas***

“Somewhere in time...”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Using the scientific method doesn't accurately help us assess what is objectively good or bad. What is good for one person can be bad for others. Unfortunately we can't avoid cultural bias. For example, some religions do not allow them to have blood transfusions even if it benefits them. They're willing to sacrifice their health to benefit their moral principles. And who's to say which is right or wrong, better or worse?
Objectivity has its own merits but impossible to apply without a universal system to allow it. And that what limits reality because each of us see reality differently. We are a diverse population. We are not clones of each other.
Even in the scientific community, for instance, there are competing theories for a given subject no matter each theory has attempted to use the scientific method.
So goodluck with that.
(Wow...I haven't been reading this thread for awhile, but I must say you are a breath of fresh air)

“Somewhere in time...”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
The Spanish Inquisition were Christians. Nuff said!...and it seems that you're honest about your bigotry.
Apparently you science book thumpers fail to make the distinction between true Christians, and wolves in sheep's clothing.lol

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

xxxooxxx wrote:
Apparently you science book thumpers fail to make the distinction between true Christians, and wolves in sheep's clothing
Ah, the "No True Scotsman" logical fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_scotsman

“Somewhere in time...”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, the "No True Scotsman" logical fallacy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_scotsman
exactly...

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

FREE SERVANT wrote:
<quoted text>OH BOY!!!! Hope you didn't get a lot of meteoric coal for Christmas***
There's no such thing as "meteoric coal". However, if I were to have found a good size nickle-iron meteor in my stocking, would have been extremely pleased!

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text> Well, Leela says you're a numbskull and I tend to trust her opinion.
How about Leela, Pierre, is she your wife or daughter?
Numbskull?lol

Level 5

Taizhou, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Why don't we pull the no-true-Scotsman plea?
If the Connecticut school shooter was embarrassing to Evolutionists, then let's say that he wasn't a true Evolutionist.

Creationists always bring Haeckel's name up, so let's say that Haeckel wasn't a true Evolutionist.
FREE SERVANT

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no such thing as "meteoric coal". However, if I were to have found a good size nickle-iron meteor in my stocking, would have been extremely pleased!
I know, I was joking and the Dude knows an agate isn't a meteor either. I have a collection of agates with pictures in them, for real!

“Somewhere in time...”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

xxxooxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you science book thumpers fail to make the distinction between true Christians, and wolves in sheep's clothing.lol
and I might add...

Matthew 7:20

"Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it's - histrionic (hysterical) personality disorder.
Symptoms include emotional excitability, such as irrational angry outbursts or tantrums; abnormal craving for activity and excitement; overreaction to minor events; manipulative threats and gestures; egocentricity; inconsiderateness; inconsistency; and continuous demand for reassurance generated by feelings of helplessness and dependency. A person with this disorder is perceived by others as vain, demanding, superficial, self-centered, and self-indulgent. The disorder is more prevalent in women than in men.
You have a Julian Assagne rewrite what has already been written type problem, don't you.

Give it up. You quoted the disorder incorrectly while insulting another, and got called out on it.
Grow the flock up, face reality and just admit YOU were wrong about it.

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
For the same reason that they adopted the false religions of the Greek and Roman gods.
But none of them were made the official religion of the whole empire apart from Christianity.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 64,301 - 64,320 of111,607
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

212 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Farmer Loses Phone, Returned 8 Months Later 4 min Mechanic 3
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 5 min CJ Rocker 2,954
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 6 min rahx 28,557
rip spirit girl 7 min Donald 37
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 10 min Mister_ E 140,312
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 10 min SLACK 34,735
Last 3 Letters into 3 new words. (Dec '08) 13 min 40ish 53,688
How to become Unbannable 27 min W Legacy 58
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 3 hr CJ Rocker 14,105