Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“River of tears flowing out of ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

West Plains

#68432 Dec 28, 2012
Makesure100 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. I fail to understand the important questions and have no thoughts. I like cake. The people on this forum are disgruntled Jehovahs Witnesses......Actually I am so ugly that my parents had to tie a steak around my neck to even get the dog to play with me. I am of highly questionable intelligence. I have thought about other postes taking showers. I am sh IT.
Do your handlers know where you are hiding?

“River of tears flowing out of ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

West Plains

#68433 Dec 28, 2012
I just picked up a used copy of a book entitled, The Flood in the light of the Bible, geology and archaeology by Alfred Martin Rehwinkel. It appears to be an attempt to show evidence of the Noachian flood. It is dated as it was written in 1951, but it should be interesting to see how the arguments are based and what evidence is used.

Anyone familiar with this book?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Patagonia

#68434 Dec 28, 2012
Makesure100 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. Science fails to answer the important thoughts. Creation does..........but one must have the faith to move forward. The freaks on this forum are disgruntled JWs......Actually they are ugly to even look at. I am highly intelligent, I can answer all of your queries. I am IT.
Yeah you are IT alright...and full of it...dipsh!t

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#68435 Dec 28, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are describing sounds more like meditation with a focus on biofeedback. That's neither here nor there. Personally, I've speculated that some southeast Asians who have inherited Denisovan genes may have a developed biofeedback system that is a bit incongruous with most of humanity. Meditation on such things may be of physical value, as they probably need to separate their standard metabolic functions from those that can be exploited ever so slightly on a voluntary level. It might even be necessary to help purge metabolic overreactions to the environment.
Still, nobody is going to levitate, have out-of-body experiences, or read minds. The only reason one might want to think about such things is to PURGE those thoughts that they may have subconsciously have picked up from others! You can't live in a dream.
Interesting. What amazes me more is how the ancient people acquired knowledge of what symbolic meanings animals have. For example the deer - power animal symbolizes gentleness, unconditional love, and kindness. The Celtics and Native Americans prayed to the deer to give them good hunt. Perhaps because of this practice ingrained in early human hunters and gatherers, we developed an instinctive ability from our own associations with these game animals. Animals behave purely on instincts. And many animals possess traits that humans wish to have such as better hearing, night vision, agility, etc. Whatever made humans distinct from animals that possessed the ability to decipher symbolic meanings in animals, probably led to intelligence and heightened sensory perception. But that's just how I see it. We are all connected.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#68436 Dec 28, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you are advocating the Scientism doctrine.
Here's a question for ya:
"How far do you think science can and should offer answers to the questions that are still considered the domain of philosophy?"
For example, can facts settle the issues of human existence such as what is right or wrong? Do you need to be scientific to be an ethical human being? Do you have to be scientific when it comes to making informed decisions in life and think of solutions to the problems you are facing?
And yet, you keep pointing out logical fallacies here that you learned from philosophy, you are a hypocrite. Just face reality! Who are you to determine what is objective reality for all of us?
What "doctrine?"

Also, yes, ethics are subjective, to gain an objective perspective on what's good and bad one needs the scientific method. Without objectivity you have people sacrificing other people to make believe gods or claiming that "spirits" told them to kill or forcibly submit an entire culture.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#68437 Dec 28, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope they don't put people like you in the medical field to help find a cure for mental illness. You are somewhat abusive.
You are exhibiting signs of what looks like a type of personality disorder. Have you heard of hysterical or narcissistic personalities? You are nuts. You need a major mental overhaul and tell yourself that in the mirror. Perhaps you need someone like me to tell you that you can be beautiful if you wanted to?
I present evidence, you present more baseless assertions. Where is your evidence? Or is it simply easier for you to make claims without evidence?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#68438 Dec 28, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. What amazes me more is how the ancient people acquired knowledge of what symbolic meanings animals have. For example the deer - power animal symbolizes gentleness, unconditional love, and kindness. The Celtics and Native Americans prayed to the deer to give them good hunt. Perhaps because of this practice ingrained in early human hunters and gatherers, we developed an instinctive ability from our own associations with these game animals. Animals behave purely on instincts. And many animals possess traits that humans wish to have such as better hearing, night vision, agility, etc. Whatever made humans distinct from animals that possessed the ability to decipher symbolic meanings in animals, probably led to intelligence and heightened sensory perception. But that's just how I see it. We are all connected.
You are still thinking backward, they didn't "know" something more than we did, they made up the stuff, we just repeat it.

“River of tears flowing out of ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

West Plains

#68439 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. What amazes me more is how the ancient people acquired knowledge of what symbolic meanings animals have. For example the deer - power animal symbolizes gentleness, unconditional love, and kindness. The Celtics and Native Americans prayed to the deer to give them good hunt. Perhaps because of this practice ingrained in early human hunters and gatherers, we developed an instinctive ability from our own associations with these game animals. Animals behave purely on instincts. And many animals possess traits that humans wish to have such as better hearing, night vision, agility, etc. Whatever made humans distinct from animals that possessed the ability to decipher symbolic meanings in animals, probably led to intelligence and heightened sensory perception. But that's just how I see it. We are all connected.
I think you are putting the cart before the horse. They associated the animals they knew to the qualities they held in respect. They didn't notice the qualities in the animals and begin to respect them for it. I don't have a reference.

Actually, some animals do have the ability to learn and don't just operate on blind instinct.

Again, the animals didn't possess some symbolic meaning, the symbolic meaning was applied to them by man. I don't doubt that we are connected. But that connection is more biological than spiritual in my opinion.

“River of tears flowing out of ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

West Plains

#68440 Dec 29, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah you are IT alright...and full of it...dipsh!t
Word, I do believe you have nailed him right on his beany little head.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#68441 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
What "doctrine?"
Also, yes, ethics are subjective, to gain an objective perspective on what's good and bad one needs the scientific method. Without objectivity you have people sacrificing other people to make believe gods or claiming that "spirits" told them to kill or forcibly submit an entire culture.
Using the scientific method doesn't accurately help us assess what is objectively good or bad. What is good for one person can be bad for others. Unfortunately we can't avoid cultural bias. For example, some religions do not allow them to have blood transfusions even if it benefits them. They're willing to sacrifice their health to benefit their moral principles. And who's to say which is right or wrong, better or worse?

Objectivity has its own merits but impossible to apply without a universal system to allow it. And that what limits reality because each of us see reality differently. We are a diverse population. We are not clones of each other.

Even in the scientific community, for instance, there are competing theories for a given subject no matter each theory has attempted to use the scientific method.

So goodluck with that.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Level 7

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#68442 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
What "doctrine?"
Also, yes, ethics are subjective, to gain an objective perspective on what's good and bad one needs the scientific method. Without objectivity you have people sacrificing other people to make believe gods or claiming that "spirits" told them to kill or forcibly submit an entire culture.
Careful here.

The scientific method has no explicit provisions for ethics. It's a tool to discover how the world actually works instead of relying on "prophet" revelations.

However, there is a component built in discovered by religions - the Golden Rule.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#68443 Dec 29, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I think you are putting the cart before the horse. They associated the animals they knew to the qualities they held in respect. They didn't notice the qualities in the animals and begin to respect them for it. I don't have a reference.
Actually, some animals do have the ability to learn and don't just operate on blind instinct.
Again, the animals didn't possess some symbolic meaning, the symbolic meaning was applied to them by man. I don't doubt that we are connected. But that connection is more biological than spiritual in my opinion.
No, I didn't say each animal had a symbolic meaning. Of course humans applied them to these animals. That's when we started to associate these meanings with animals especially in a time with limited knowledge. Which led me the conclusion that this made us develop the skills, became more intelligent, and more receptive to the environment. Everything in nature has a symbiotic relationship with one another. Eventually we co-evolved.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#68444 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Using the scientific method doesn't accurately help us assess what is objectively good or bad. What is good for one person can be bad for others. Unfortunately we can't avoid cultural bias. For example, some religions do not allow them to have blood transfusions even if it benefits them. They're willing to sacrifice their health to benefit their moral principles. And who's to say which is right or wrong, better or worse?
Objectivity has its own merits but impossible to apply without a universal system to allow it. And that what limits reality because each of us see reality differently. We are a diverse population. We are not clones of each other.
Even in the scientific community, for instance, there are competing theories for a given subject no matter each theory has attempted to use the scientific method.
So goodluck with that.
Excuses, and a clear display of you lacking the comprehension of what the scientific method is. You are also making excuses for people to do bad things to others, simply because they "feel" it's "right." So according to your own logic, we shouldn't be angry with the Muslims who destroyed the twin towers, or every single psychopath in known history, just because it was their religious belief that they were right. Lame.

When you learn what objective means, then you may actually grow a conscious, but your assertion in the above post is vile, despicable, and just horrible.

“River of tears flowing out of ”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

West Plains

#68445 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I didn't say each animal had a symbolic meaning. Of course humans applied them to these animals. That's when we started to associate these meanings with animals especially in a time with limited knowledge. Which led me the conclusion that this made us develop the skills, became more intelligent, and more receptive to the environment. Everything in nature has a symbiotic relationship with one another. Eventually we co-evolved.
That we have co-evolved with other species, I do not doubt. However, I think we had already developed the necessary intelligence to make some of these symbolic associations. Of course we are treading in the gold fields of human development. We may be hitting pay dirt or way off the mark. Another reference I will have to find, but it was on the research into the development of intelligence by man. As I recall, one line of thought was that we were more often carrion feeders or theives and the skills needed for those two roles lead to greater and greater intelligence. Not as romantic as associations with our local deer, but not without plausiblity.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#68446 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuses, and a clear display of you lacking the comprehension of what the scientific method is. You are also making excuses for people to do bad things to others, simply because they "feel" it's "right." So according to your own logic, we shouldn't be angry with the Muslims who destroyed the twin towers, or every single psychopath in known history, just because it was their religious belief that they were right. Lame.
When you learn what objective means, then you may actually grow a conscious, but your assertion in the above post is vile, despicable, and just horrible.
Which part didn't get through to your thick skull? As usual you resort to ad hominems because there's nothing you could do to refute it.

You think the world revolves around you. It doesn't. Killing is wrong to the victims but may have personal satisfaction to the perpetrator whether it's driven by revenge, morality, or illness. That's why we establish a system where people can relate and accept. But if you fly to the other side of the planet, it's a different story.

So tell me why despite the attempts of scientists use the scientific methods, we have many competing theories? And you wonder why we have different religions.

Grow up, you self-centered prick. It helps to expand your consciousness. You will actually learn to accept good reality instead of the harsh reality you've accustomed to while your mama raised you.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#68447 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Which part didn't get through to your thick skull? As usual you resort to ad hominems because there's nothing you could do to refute it.
You think the world revolves around you. It doesn't. Killing is wrong to the victims but may have personal satisfaction to the perpetrator whether it's driven by revenge, morality, or illness. That's why we establish a system where people can relate and accept. But if you fly to the other side of the planet, it's a different story.
So tell me why despite the attempts of scientists use the scientific methods, we have many competing theories? And you wonder why we have different religions.
Grow up, you self-centered prick. It helps to expand your consciousness. You will actually learn to accept good reality instead of the harsh reality you've accustomed to while your mama raised you.
Nothing but projection, and the same post is evidence of that. You are justifying genocide, mass murder, and homicidal action, you are a horrible person.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#68448 Dec 29, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful here.
The scientific method has no explicit provisions for ethics. It's a tool to discover how the world actually works instead of relying on "prophet" revelations.
However, there is a component built in discovered by religions - the Golden Rule.
I didn't say that science had any specific ethics, but that the scientific method is the best option for determining more sane and valid ethical behavior. The "golden rule" is anything but, as it also endorses inequality and evades responsibility, and it wasn't brought to us by religion, it's an innate logical conclusion which was an evolutionary benefit at the time. It's outdated, and we know that now because of the scientific method.

The scientific method wasn't developed for what we even use it for. Originally it was developed to weed out the scam "miracles," which the Catholic church claimed authority over, of course they have failed to find any genuine miracles, but what did you expect? We found it was beneficial in other areas of life, so we started applying the method to other areas of life, and it has never let us down as it leads us answers in all situations. You can thank religious skeptics for the great tool we have now, but they were, and are, still skeptics not blind followers of any sort.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#68449 Dec 29, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I didn't say each animal had a symbolic meaning. Of course humans applied them to these animals. That's when we started to associate these meanings with animals especially in a time with limited knowledge. Which led me the conclusion that this made us develop the skills, became more intelligent, and more receptive to the environment. Everything in nature has a symbiotic relationship with one another. Eventually we co-evolved.
What is this "symbolic" garbage?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#68450 Dec 29, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>That we have co-evolved with other species, I do not doubt. However, I think we had already developed the necessary intelligence to make some of these symbolic associations. Of course we are treading in the gold fields of human development. We may be hitting pay dirt or way off the mark. Another reference I will have to find, but it was on the research into the development of intelligence by man. As I recall, one line of thought was that we were more often carrion feeders or theives and the skills needed for those two roles lead to greater and greater intelligence. Not as romantic as associations with our local deer, but not without plausiblity.
What's your source for your assertions? I speak from direct experience. Again, I'm not the normal gal next door. There's a whole lot going on in this head of mine. Must've been indirectly programmed by more knowledgeable people through a 56 inch extra-dimensional space we call the idiot box. It can be quite educational and entertaining.

But on that note, I did have special experience with animals. Have you had any connection with them?

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#68451 Dec 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing but projection, and the same post is evidence of that. You are justifying genocide, mass murder, and homicidal action, you are a horrible person.
You really need to learn more about psychology. We are all animals with the same instincts unless you're made of candle wax. You really need that flame to get enlightened.

Stop accusing me of justifying these heinous crimes. I just happen to 'understand' what drives humans to do certain things. comprende?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
True or False Game 2 min Old Sam 378
Truck containing 36,000 pounds of Crisco stolen 5 min -Lea- 37
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 6 min Old Sam 29,495
***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Jan '10) 7 min Crazy Jae 77,366
OFFBEAT.keepAword.DropAword.2011edition (Oct '11) 8 min Old Sam 17,792
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 10 min Old Sam 3,526
What's your tip for the day? 13 min Old Sam 1,212
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 17 min -Lea- 22,231
During Obama's Speech at Democratic Campaign Ra... 21 min Sam 31
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 33 min wichita-rick 148,965

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE