Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#66162 Dec 19, 2012
I fish wrote:
<quoted text>It'd be nicer if you were on our side. You could maybe say the best way to evangelize is to rejoice in THE TRUTH...and then go from group to group and rejoice in THE TRUTH with them.
Why does there have to be a side?

“The strength of science is”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

founded in facts.

#66163 Dec 19, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Are you going to go on trying to find a cool way to slam me? You're just not making the intuitive leap needed here.
No I don't suppose I will. Since you admitted to jumping to conclusions, my point seems to be made. No sense gilding the lilly. Besides you sometimes say something that makes sense despite the tangents down blind alleys. In fact, I may have agreed with you in the past on some point or other.

I did enjoy the irony of your trying to establish yourself as the alpha while casting disdain on alphas in the same instance. I love irony. Isn't that ironic?

If you really knew me, you would be shocked at how off the mark your attempts to characterize me or mischaracterize me were. But since you seem to have some idea about the intuitive leap I need to make, enlighten me. I am never closed to hearing new ideas.

“Eleanor, Where is your heart?!”

Level 6

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#66164 Dec 19, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Why does there have to be a side?
I wouldn't want to pretend like it's not there. That would mean I could do no evil....and I can technically...the Bible speaks of the love of God constraining us...right?

Level 9

founded in facts.

#66165 Dec 19, 2012
I fish wrote:
<quoted text>
I find great humility in a group of grown men who say I'm afraid of being wrong so I'll just repeat what the Bible says as accurately as possible. Watch what repeating the Bible does for people. You think Christians inhibit learning. How many languages has the bible been translated into. what has motivated many individuals who earlier could care less about literacy to learn to read. It is the Word of God. It's not the missionary....It's the message.
Rose Tyler, might I refer you to the Taliban. That is the example that many in the United States and elsewhere wish to follow, save they substitute the religion of their choice. The Taliban is what happens when you eliminate critical thinking and true education and substitute if with indoctrination into a religion. God doesn't want that even if it is made all pretty and wholesome.

Sure Christianity doesn't inhibit the learning of the Bible. Translation of the Bible to other languages is hardly a monument to a well rounded education.

Yes, you are right, it is the message and not the messenger. For hundreds of years the message was that the great ruler across the water was annoited by God and God says he needs your women, your gold and your strong backs. So bend over and make peace with it because it is happening.

Level 9

founded in facts.

#66166 Dec 19, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
Nicely stated.
Thank you.
Thaks Kong, I appreciate that.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

#66167 Dec 19, 2012
I fish wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to understand that Murder is wrong quite clearly. What you don't seem to acknowledge is that repentance is a worthy act in the eyes of God. You should despise what is wrong...and hate hypocrisy...and remember that next time you fall David wasn't banished from God's home for what he did. There is Grace. There is Mercy. God is good. It doesn't take murder to prove it. It's obvious God is Good before you go murder or do evil...which is why to those who know to do good and do not do it it's infinitely more wrong than to those who can't tell the difference...if there is such an one. But God does help people who have done wrong and despise themselves and pray for a new heart and a righteous spirit.
How patronising can you get? Of course any sane, logical moral person knows murder is wrong - give me a break.

Which God? You claim the Christian God is the "right" one, Muslims claim "Allah" is the only true God, Jews, "Jehovah" and so on. Don't preach to me on what I should or should not believe. I despise utterly hypocrisy and I see much too much of it from a number of so-called Christian sects.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#66168 Dec 19, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Near as I can tell the guy who photographed it is a photographer. Also bear in mind that the farmer who owns the field has had problems for years, so apparently something a little more than busy computering is going on there...
<quoted text>
A horse. It's thousands of years old. It even showed up in the Russel Crowe's Robin Hood movie recently.
Hey, maybe it was made by aliens too?
It should've been in Mel Gibson movie "Signs"
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm guessing the photo is tinted for effect, and the shadow of the zeppelin added later. Either way it's a cool album.
Ya have you seen the Zeppelin's symbols that represent each of them? No wonder they picked that photo for their album.

http://www.unsolvedrealm.com/wp-content/uploa...

“The Intrepid”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#66169 Dec 19, 2012
I fish wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't want to pretend like it's not there. That would mean I could do no evil....and I can technically...the Bible speaks of the love of God constraining us...right?
I dunno. I usually slept through church as much as I could. I'd have to look it up.

Level 9

founded in facts.

#66170 Dec 19, 2012
I fish wrote:
<quoted text>
I find great humility in a group of grown men who say I'm afraid of being wrong so I'll just repeat what the Bible says as accurately as possible. Watch what repeating the Bible does for people. You think Christians inhibit learning. How many languages has the bible been translated into. what has motivated many individuals who earlier could care less about literacy to learn to read. It is the Word of God. It's not the missionary....It's the message.
That is the same technique used to indoctrinate people into (insert your favorite whatever here). I have been in attendance at some very emotive church services. People jumping up, hands raised to the air, bodies trembling. I can only describe the atmosphere of the room as containing an almost palpable energy. That is not to say that I thought it was God wandering about. The energy was exactly like I have experienced at a rock concert.

I discovered a few other interesting things from attending these services, that were also surprisingly like you would find at a rock concert. I might elaborate on this later. For now I will say I looked and saw that it was good.

Obviously the expectations of those attending church are different from those attending a rock concert are different, but the point is you can get people pumped up and invigorated about things other than religion.

Level 5

above and beyond

#66171 Dec 19, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that does tend to suggest that genetics aren't perfect. There are design weaknesses.
I wouldn't say genetics isn't perfect because we are currently making progress.
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps things like the Cambrian explosion are actually caused by some fundamental change in genetics that overcome obstacles at the structural level. For those of us who have become comfortable in our niches, that could prove very bad.... but stuff happens! Enjoy the time you have!
Perhaps the next Cambrian era will be the future of mutagenesis, perhaps modifying DNA artificially? Such as delay aging, increase intelligence, have stronger immune system, etc.
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I still wouldn't call that an act of God! Just a good idea whose time has come.
We've been playing Gods since the dawn of man!

I wouldn't say genetics isn't perfect because we are currently making progress.

Level 5

above and beyond

#66172 Dec 19, 2012
copy/paste typo

Level 2

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#66173 Dec 19, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to ask Charles. He seems to be the self-appointed resident expert on who owns which language.
No one really owns any language(s).
But English as a language was first spoken in England.

Level 5

above and beyond

#66175 Dec 19, 2012
I fish wrote:
<quoted text>It'd be nicer if you were on our side. You could maybe say the best way to evangelize is to rejoice in THE TRUTH...and then go from group to group and rejoice in THE TRUTH with them.
In your case, truth is relative. It's not the absolute truth.

Level 2

Location hidden

#66176 Dec 19, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
But you seem to be interested in the subject and so am I. LOL
The origin of all languages should be a thing or matter of interest to all. It is not really a laughing matter, but the truth.

“Ignore the trolls”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Poole, UK

#66177 Dec 19, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> No one really owns any language(s).
But English as a language was first spoken in England.
Got nothing better to do than keep raking up what has already been discussed? Or do you think those of us that shot you down before will ignore your repetition of inaccurate information? Sheesh, sad or what?

Level 2

Location hidden

#66178 Dec 19, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Interested? Not so much. It's just that Charles have been ranting on for a year or two about how the English *own* the English language. I guess he thinks the rest of us have to pay licensing fees.
You got it wrong body.
My subject of interest is that, English started in England. Their ownership of the language is nothing but by origination. Get that, Miky.

Level 2

Location hidden

#66179 Dec 19, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the U.S. does. That is a little known fact, it was part of the package deal when Robert P. McCulloch bought the London Bridge.
Dreaming again. As an American, do some research work about the history of the US and the English Americans.

Level 5

above and beyond

#66180 Dec 19, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> The origin of all languages should be a thing or matter of interest to all. It is not really a laughing matter, but the truth.
You can't spell 'English' without L I E S

Level 2

Location hidden

#66181 Dec 19, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
That's interesting. The American english language has evolved to the point that it has become an enigma!
Interesting?
but you guys are forgeting one thing, the SOURCE of American English.

Level 5

above and beyond

#66182 Dec 19, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Interesting?
but you guys are forgeting one thing, the SOURCE of American English.
Ya forgetting Greek and Latin, the roots in English? Languages evolve

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 3 min Jennifer Renee 7,507
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 3 min Princess Hey 140
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 4 min -Lea- 25,531
4 Word Game (Use Same Letter) 6 min Princess Hey 192
Man murders wife, shows parents her body on webcam (Apr '11) 28 min Rust 80
HOW LONG can you hold YOUR SEMEN ? For men only. (Mar '12) 33 min Sam 24
Is it possible to....... 40 min -CatCiao- 537
Merry Christmas Topix, Thanks For,...? 52 min mr goodwrench 112
"OLD SAYINGS" - - - Feel free to post them here... 1 hr Hoosier Hillbilly 70
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Rose of Tralee 152,399