Evolution vs. Creation

There are 20 comments on the Jan 6, 2011, Best of New Orleans story titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#65159 Dec 14, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry peanut but random mutations? That means the outcome is unpredictable making impossible to project the outcome. How would it come out with male and female of the same species?
Natural selection works b/c of 3 things:

1. traits are inheritable (we call these genes).
2. variation exists in populations (it arises from mutation; mutation is not random, but unpredictable)
3. scarce resources that causes competition among individuals for those resources

Natural selection is differential reproduction and survival. Those who survive to adulthood and are able to reproduce, because of their genetic traits, will tend, on average, to have their genes in the gene pool dominate over others' genes.

Evolution by natural selection is the outcome of math.

If you don't understand this, in what way don't you understand? I will do my best to clarify for you.

“what we think we become”

Level 5

Since: Aug 11

above and beyond

#65161 Dec 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>

Evolution by natural selection is the outcome of math.
And how does evolution explain the patterns in nature such as fibonacci series and golden ratio?

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R....

“Why does my ignorance”

Level 5

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#65162 Dec 14, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
And how does evolution explain the patterns in nature such as fibonacci series and golden ratio?
http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R....
Math explains evolution. Not the other way around.

It's like you're asking cows to explain the cart.

Level 5

above and beyond

#65163 Dec 14, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Math explains evolution. Not the other way around.
In that case, nothing exists by random chance. Nothing is random, not even the stock market.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#65164 Dec 14, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
http://theofficialillphil.com/ blog/dinosaurs_and_humans/
A rapper? Seriously? You're quoting a rapper as a scientific authority?

Come on, Knightmare. This is beneath even you.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#65165 Dec 14, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep saying that over and over but there aren't sufficient evidence to support TOE from the sources being posted here
Here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution#Refere...

Have fun.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#65166 Dec 14, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> You are wasting your time. Despite that, the Angles, Saxons and Jutes, were/ are no German or Danish, they became English. Do your research on international laws or immigration laws.
English is a language that was first spoken in England. It is native to England, no one including you, can deny that.
Oh for Pete's sake. Are you still carrying on about who owns English?

{head/desk}

Level 5

above and beyond

#65167 Dec 14, 2012
MikeF wrote:
I actually have read books on evolution. It had more info than wikipedia. LOL.

Level 5

above and beyond

#65168 Dec 14, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh for Pete's sake. Are you still carrying on about who owns English?
{head/desk}
Who owns English? Were they esoteric as Pythagoras?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#65169 Dec 14, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I actually have read books on evolution.
You don't say.
Cybele wrote:
It had more info than wikipedia. LOL.
That was a list of reference material NOT hosted on Wiki. Perhaps you should look first before sticking your foot in your mouth.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#65170 Dec 14, 2012
Interesting:

"( Phys.org )—Despite evidence that phenotypic change does not always occur uniformly across all species members and lineages, single size or shape traits are often used to represent species-level change in its entirety.

Recently, however, scientists in the Department of Geology at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago and at the Museum für Naturkunde in Berlin asked a deceptively simple question – Are (or when are) single traits adequate representations of species-level change?– and answered it by asking another: How often do single traits show conflicting patterns in the same sequence? To answer the second, they examined trait variation frequency in fossils, finding that within most lineages, evolutionary mode (the pattern of evolution, as opposed to its rate) does indeed vary across traits – and the probability of these patterns conflicting within a given lineage patterns increases in proportion to the number of traits analyzed.

Moreover, the evolution of single traits may vary despite a particular mode being dominant. The researchers suggest that their findings provide evidence that widespread mosaic evolution – the tendency for different parts within species to evolve in different ways or at different rates – has occurred throughout our planet's history."

<<more at:>>

http://phys.org/news/2012-12-trait-variance-e...

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#65171 Dec 14, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to ask Charles. He seems to be the self-appointed resident expert on who owns which language.

Level 5

above and beyond

#65172 Dec 14, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a list of reference material NOT hosted on Wiki. Perhaps you should look first before sticking your foot in your mouth.
I doubt you've read all those references. Why don't you educate me on what you know instead?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#65173 Dec 14, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt you've read all those references.
No, I have not read all of *those* reference but I have read some of them and many others. What does that have to do with anything? You complained about references so I gave you some. Now you're complaining about that.
Cybele wrote:
Why don't you educate me on what you know instead?
I'm not inclined to write a long-winded explanation nor do I feel the need to establish any credibility with you. If you have specific questions, I or one of the others will likely address them as we can.

Level 5

above and beyond

#65174 Dec 14, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to ask Charles. He seems to be the self-appointed resident expert on who owns which language.
But you seem to be interested in the subject and so am I. LOL

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#65175 Dec 14, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
But you seem to be interested in the subject and so am I. LOL
Interested? Not so much. It's just that Charles have been ranting on for a year or two about how the English *own* the English language. I guess he thinks the rest of us have to pay licensing fees.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#65176 Dec 14, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the U.S. does. That is a little known fact, it was part of the package deal when Robert P. McCulloch bought the London Bridge.

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Level 7

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

#65177 Dec 14, 2012
Darwin Buster One: Darwinians have been dead wrong whenever they have claimed that the "genetic matter of ape and humans is 98% identical." The ape and human chromosomes are remarkably divergent and too different for "ape to human evolution" theory to adequately explain. For example, the human Y chromosome has twice as many genes as the chimpanzee Y chromosome and the chromosome structures are not at all similar.

http://darwinconspiracy.com/

Level 5

above and beyond

#65178 Dec 14, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I have not read all of *those* reference but I have read some of them and many others. What does that have to do with anything? You complained about references so I gave you some. Now you're complaining about that.
Well at least post a reference you've read.
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not inclined to write a long-winded explanation nor do I feel the need to establish any credibility with you. If you have specific questions, I or one of the others will likely address them as we can.
Nah. You like music?

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#65179 Dec 14, 2012
Cybele wrote:
<quoted text>
Well at least post a reference you've read.
<quoted text>

"On the Origin of Species" - Darwin, Charles (1859)
(Not an easy read by the way)
Cybele wrote:
Nah.
Your choice.
Cybele wrote:
You like music?
Of course.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swedish police on vacation break up fight on Ne... 5 min Parden Pard 2
Make A Sentance out of a 5 letter word. (Nov '09) 6 min Parden Pard 31,775
Add 2 Letters to Complete a Word 11 min DILF 506
Word association (Jun '07) 12 min DILF 2,834
last word - first (Jun '12) 14 min DILF 7,666
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 18 min Mechanic 8,315
Do you know who this guy is? 18 min Hoosier Hillbilly 1
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 20 min karvinman 161,341
motorcycle traveling stories 1 hr Mega Monster 622
News The trooper fired at the motorcycle, and then d... 1 hr Mega Monster 77