Evolution vs. Creation

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008. Full Story
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#64964 Dec 12, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
You could not be more wrong. But then you do not know what evidence is in the first place.
There is undeniable literally mountains of scientific evidence that support the theory of evolution. There is no scientific evidence that supports creationism. That is a fact that anyone who understands evidence cannot deny.
Mountains of improbability....
You are a desperate dolt
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#64965 Dec 12, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only that, but ten years ago, they found amino acids in deep space.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2558-am...
Hmmmmmm.....
Kong
Don't be a fool
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64966 Dec 12, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only that, but ten years ago, they found amino acids in deep space.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2558-am...
Hmmmmmm.....
Makes a probability of alien lifeforms existing seem NOT so (unscientifically) "out there" now doesn't it !

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#64967 Dec 12, 2012
Russell, please don't lie about what Dawkins said, you have no clue. Nor do you even know the purpose of the Miller/Urey experiments. How could they have led to a dead end if they were successful?

And Russell, no, you are the proven liar. When I asked you to quote the lie you were unable to. I requested it several times. You never found a falsehood in our debate where you used a lying sham of a PChemist.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#64968 Dec 12, 2012
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Mountains of improbability....
You are a desperate dolt
And Russell continues to show that he is either a liar or an idiot. My bet is on both.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#64969 Dec 12, 2012
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Expression of genetic variation via assortment of alleles IS NOT EVOLUTION
How do you classify the hyper-variable portions of antibodies?
Is that evolution right before our eyes?
Stick to your claim that you DONT KNOW and stop your idiocy
You who can NEVER accept when he is wrong...and who is continually wrong
AND furthermore-->
Without catalysts there would be no life at all
Natural selection only works if there is life
Proteins DO NOT SELF REPLICATE
AND prions do not count
That's right idiot. It is the change in those alleles under the forces of Natural Selection and Random Variation.

And you don't get to ask questions about subjects that are ten years in education over your head. You would not understand the answer. We have to dumb down the science to much for you to understand the answer to that particular question.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#64970 Dec 12, 2012
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes a probability of alien lifeforms existing seem NOT so (unscientifically) "out there" now doesn't it !
I never thought otherwise.

But "E.T."? Unlikely.

More likely (in the short term), mold or algae. Or similar fossils of either.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#64971 Dec 12, 2012
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Kong
Don't be a fool
I'm not.

YOU, however.....

Amino acids, water, methane, alcohol, and various organic compounds HAVE been detected in deep space.

Sorry if it's inconvenient for your shallow theological beliefs.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64972 Dec 12, 2012
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ <quoted text>
You, SubDud are the only PROVEN liar here!
Even Dawkins admits that the Miller experiment led to a dead end..
Got a trillion years?
Firstly, primordial soup experiments are run with pure materials under carefully controlled conditions, with purification steps of the desired products after every step, adjusted pH , temp etc, to maximum advantage, UV light applied at the right time to destroy the biologically problematic side products without damaging the desired material….
In other words HEAPS of investigator interference….
Secondly, enzyme expert Wolfenden showed in 1998 that a reaction absolutely essential in creating the building blocks of DNA and RNA would take 78 million years in water, but was speeded up 10 to the power 18 times by an enzyme:
This is orotidine 5-prime-monophostate decarboxtlase, responsible for de novo synthesis of uridine 5-prime-phosphate, an essential precursor of RNA and DNA, by carboxylating orotidine 5 prime-monophosphate (OMP) as everyone now knows.
In 2003 Wolfenden found another enzyme that exceeded even this VAST rate enhancement. A PHOSPHOTASE, which catalyses the hydrolysis of phosphate bonds, magnified the reaction rate by a thousand times more than the previous enzyme-&#61664; 10 to the power of 21 times.
Phosphotase allows reactions vital for cell signalling and regulation to take place in a hundredth of a second
WITHOUT PHOSPHATASE THESE ESSENTIAL REACTIONS WOULD TAKE a trillion years
That is a hundred times even the supposed evolutionary age of the Universe.
Cited in Lang L H, Without enzyme catalyst slowest known biological reaction takes 1 trillion years, Biocompare Life Science News, news.biocompare.com , 2003
But-- what's to say (or disprove) that such enzymes don't exist elsewhere, in different structural strengths, already?
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#64973 Dec 12, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I never thought otherwise.
But "E.T."? Unlikely.
More likely (in the short term), mold or algae. Or similar fossils of either.
In this galaxy, in solid molecular form, it would be pretty surpising.

But in meta physical form...hmmm..

Since: Nov 12

Milk River, Canada

#64974 Dec 12, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
ps Here is a small (very small) mRNA strand code for Ribonuclonoc acid – AHGACGGAGCYYCGFAGUUAG
BTW are you using H for dihydrouridine and F for pseudouridine? And what does the Y stand for? Another from of modified uridine?
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#64975 Dec 12, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not.
YOU, however.....
Amino acids, water, methane, alcohol, and various organic compounds HAVE been detected in deep space.
Could they perchance have been launched into space FROM earth when that naughty great asteroid hit and knocked off all the dinosaurs?????

Level 9

Everett, WA

#64976 Dec 12, 2012
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
Could they perchance have been launched into space FROM earth when that naughty great asteroid hit and knocked off all the dinosaurs?????
No.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#64977 Dec 12, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right idiot. It is the change in those alleles under the forces of Natural Selection and Random Variation.
And you don't get to ask questions about subjects that are ten years in education over your head. You would not understand the answer. We have to dumb down the science to much for you to understand the answer to that particular question.
There goes that pathetic mantra....AGAIN!

Your bi-fold explanation for evolution does not OUT perform either one or the other ...

No synergy there, Bud
Both are useless as evidence for evolution

I have an idea
Why not take a nice break from it all

Go grab a high school biology book and recharge your depleted batteries

All I hear is special pleading

and the usual bleating.....
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#64978 Dec 12, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not.
YOU, however.....
The papers you are referring to, published in Nature on 28 March 2002—one from a combined NASA/SETI institute study and another from Europe, enthusiastically proclaimed ‘Seeds of life are everywhere’ and ‘Scientists create life’s building blocks’.

These resulted from two studies where scientists formed amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, by zapping impure ice, supposedly matching interstellar compositions, with ultraviolet radiation.

This ice contained a fairly high amount of ammonia (NH3), methanol (CH3OH) and hydrogen cyanide (HCN).

As per the European authors:

‘How life originated is one of the earliest and most intriguing questions for humanity. Early experiments on the processing of a gas mixture simulating the primitive Earth conditions assumed a reducing atmosphere with CH4[methane] as the carbon-containing molecule.

Several amino acids were formed under these conditions as the products of spark discharge, photoprocessing or heat. It is now believed, however, that the Earth’s early atmosphere was rather non-reducing, with CO2 as the main carbon carrier. Processing of these alternative gas mixtures under experimental conditions leads to the formation of, at most, traces of amino acids'

Another Urey-Miller...

Big deal!

Crick and Hoyle introduced the idea of pan spermia
Since life "evolving" on earth is such a non-starter...

Back to the drawing board, Kong
Ni hao

Level 9

Everett, WA

#64979 Dec 12, 2012
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
There goes that pathetic mantra....AGAIN!
Your bi-fold explanation for evolution does not OUT perform either one or the other ...
No synergy there, Bud
Both are useless as evidence for evolution
I have an idea
Why not take a nice break from it all
Go grab a high school biology book and recharge your depleted batteries
All I hear is special pleading
and the usual bleating.....
Of course they do.

And they are not evidence, no one claimed them as evidence. They are the motivating factors.

I don't need someone who failed high school biology to try to give me lessons.

Now if you have any serious questions we would be more than happy to help you. Even though you have continually shown yourself to be one of the most idiotic members to ever debate this subject we are always willing to educate.

You cannot even argue until you learn what is evidence and what is not.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#64980 Dec 12, 2012
Russell, I see that you still don't understand the point of the Urey/Miller experiment.

And it was a successful experiment, even though they got the early atmosphere wrong. The correct atmosphere made it even easier to make amino acids and was even more successful. You are too lazy to even go to Wikipedia to see if you are wrong:

"Some evidence suggests that Earth's original atmosphere might have contained fewer of the reducing molecules than was thought at the time of the Miller–Urey experiment. There is abundant evidence of major volcanic eruptions 4 billion years ago, which would have released carbon dioxide, nitrogen, hydrogen sulfide (H2S), and sulfur dioxide (SO2) into the atmosphere. Experiments using these gases in addition to the ones in the original Miller–Urey experiment have produced more diverse molecules."

The Miller/Urey experiment was only the first step into finding how life on Earth started. They did not expect to get the complete answer with the first experiment than the Wright Brothers thought they could fly using a rubber band powered glider.
Russell

Adelaide, Australia

#64981 Dec 12, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they do.
And they are not evidence, no one claimed them as evidence. They are the motivating factors.
I don't need someone who failed high school biology to try to give me lessons.
Now if you have any serious questions we would be more than happy to help you. Even though you have continually shown yourself to be one of the most idiotic members to ever debate this subject we are always willing to educate.
You cannot even argue until you learn what is evidence and what is not.
A kind offer
And I politely decline...

I doubt very much you could teach kindergarten the alphabet...

Subduction Zone to a Tiny Tot:
"No! That's not what I said
Go back to what I said
No I am not a liar

You're the liar

Get an education!"

Little Tot, aged 4 or so:

"Please Sir, that's why I am here...

And, what evidence is there for evolution? Please sir?
I don't think any evidence you have presented thus far constitutes evidence for evolution at all!

Why are you so wrong all the time, Sir?"
Subduction Zone wrote:
Genetics is not my specialty by any means. So I am at a bit of a disadvantage here.
Subduction Zone wrote:
I am not a biologist so I cannot argue the merits of all of their evidence for evolution.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#64982 Dec 12, 2012
Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
A kind offer
And I politely decline...
I doubt very much you could teach kindergarten the alphabet...
Subduction Zone to a Tiny Tot:
"No! That's not what I said
Go back to what I said
No I am not a liar
You're the liar
Get an education!"
Little Tot, aged 4 or so:
"Please Sir, that's why I am here...
And, what evidence is there for evolution? Please sir?
I don't think any evidence you have presented thus far constitutes evidence for evolution at all!
Why are you so wrong all the time, Sir?"
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I am not wrong all of the time. In fact I usually tell people that I am out of my specialty too far when I am getting uncomfortable answering a question with any authority. And I seriously doubt if you can find somewhere where I was wrong. You will not find a serious mistake of mine at all. Where serious mistakes are made by you in at least every other post.

So, please quit lying. Try to learn what you are arguing about. Perhaps you should read your damn Bible so that you will know how terribly wrong it is.

Level 9

Everett, WA

#64983 Dec 12, 2012
Russell, I am not about to discuss evidence with you until you are honest enough to admit that you currently do not know what constitutes evidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 19 min Mega Monster 7,743
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 37 min SLY WEST 152,723
Post "any three words" (Sep '12) 44 min CJ Rocker 1,115
Keep a Word.....Drop a Word Game (Sep '13) 45 min CJ Rocker 6,901
Only Three Word (Nov '09) 1 hr andet1987 11,636
Come on...Tell me a joke (Jan '08) 1 hr ms_Sweeter 7,127
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 1 hr andet1987 138,394
7 Teens Come Home Pregnant From School Trip 1 hr SLY WEST 67
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 1 hr andet1987 26,736
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 2 hr rosanne 25,832